Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

xuerebx

Erudite
BROS DCSS IS JUST SHIT NOW FUKC THEM IN THERE ASSHOLES
What's wrong with it? Started playing it last week for the first time, it's insanely fun! My only gripe is that I'm shit :lol:

PapaPetro

What's wrong with it? Started playing it last week for the first time, it's insanely fun! My only gripe is that I'm shit :lol:
They gutted some of the resource mechanics like hunger and ammo and keep changing the meta up with the Gods and race/classes, monsters, gear etc.
Still if you play MiFi with a decent deity (TSO, Trog, Okawaru, Gozag if you got the latinum, or even Makhleb for HP-on-kill) to cover your bald spots, then you should at least get a 3 rune win.

xuerebx

Erudite
They gutted some of the resource mechanics like hunger and ammo and keep changing the meta up with the Gods and race/classes, monsters, gear etc.
Still if you play MiFi with a decent deity (TSO, Trog, Okawaru, Gozag if you got the latinum, or even Makhleb for HP-on-kill) to cover your bald spots, then you should at least get a 3 rune win.
I see. Haven't experienced any changes yet since I've just started playing. I've been going the MiBe or HoBe route, but I think I'll start trying out new deities and/or melee classes (not gonna play with magic for now).

PapaPetro

I see. Haven't experienced any changes yet since I've just started playing. I've been going the MiBe or HoBe route, but I think I'll start trying out new deities and/or melee classes (not gonna play with magic for now).
:bro:
Cool. I'vd been trying Djinn HP casters but it's real rng heavy on what mid level spells you get.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS BESIDES ELIMANTAING ANY SENSE OF PERSONALITY OR TRADITION FROM THE GAME

THEY SERIUOLY NERFED MELEE AND MY PLUS 9 DEMON WHIP WAS NOT ENOUGH TO CLEAR LAIR ONCE LOLLOLLLOL MELEE IS SHIT NOW

AND A HUNDRO MELEE TRYA AND NO LUCK LOLLLOLOL FUCKING ORCS KILLING ME ONE ON ONE AS A GARGOYLES FIGHTER LEVEL FOUR

THEY CONSISTENTLY SEEM TO MAKE CHANGE FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE AND FUCK UP ESTABLISHED SHIT JUST TO MAKE NEW SHIT THAT THE DISCARD ANYWAY

OH AND LOLLLOLLOL NOTHING TRADITIONAL TOLKEIN THEY FUCKING REMOVED CENTAURS AND MADE FAGTAURS OR SOMETHING

BROS THEY JUST THROW SHIT AT A WALL AND SEEA WHAT STICKS LOLLLOL KINDA LIKE ME MAYBE I SHOULDNT COPLAIN SO MUCH

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
OK BROS LOLLLOLLLL

MAYBE BITXHING BECAUSE THEY NERFED MY MELEE BUILD IVE USED SINCE VERSION 19

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
BROS BESIDES ELIMANTAING ANY SENSE OF PERSONALITY OR TRADITION FROM THE GAME
...as if other reasons are even needed.

As has been said many times, and not just by me, Dungeon Crawl was once a fun game... but not in recent memory.

Personally, I will never forgive the removal of mountain dwarves as a playable race. And that was over ten years ago.

Infinitum

Scholar
Meh. The hunger and glow mechanics were shit, and it's not like carting around several hundred arrows is more realistic than functionally infinite ammunition. Did my last 15-runer as a Mummy warrior specifically not to bother with it. Don't care too much about the 'zany new races, but not really missing the vanilla ones either. At least one can replay it every few years and get a newish experience.

Rosey

Novice
If I wanted to try out DCSS for the first time is there a specific version worth getting? How did it get so much worse? Just nerfing old meta shit?

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
eh the hunger is fundamentally a non-issue as you can always butcher shit and eat. Most of the time it is just busy work.

That being said they should/could go the other way (making hunger matter) instead of removing it but as it was it's not much of an interesting feature.

There are lot more reasons to be pissed by the other changes

PapaPetro

CDDA just released a massive update.
Is it still an autism simulator or have they changed course at some point and started adding meaningful stuff to the game?
Autism simulator. Main dev wants to focus on "realism" and is pairing down content that is too fantastical and replacing it with nuanced survival mechanics like kcalories burned, exertion, and perspiration.
I wouldn't be amazed if bionics just gets completely phased out despite being so fun to acquire and use. That's the mentality these over there these days.
No endgame content added or real increasing threat (monster evolution is still a joke). If you mastered the game at any point in the past, you'll easily master it now within an ingame week of familiarization.

This raid mod I tried out for CDDA was decent though.
https://github.com/TGWeaver/CDDA-Sky-Islands

CDDA could use more challenge like this rather than be an immersive sim. I'd like to see a mod where the zombies are replaced by zombie NPCs (much tougher, more intelligent AI, gear matters, can have specialized mutations, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

Irata

Scholar
Some dude saw how DF made people rich so he's bringing Cataclysm:DDA to Steam. 20 USD.

FAQ
What will the game cost?

I decided to price it alongside similar games at $20. It took a long time to come to this decision and it wasn't made lightly.
Where does the money go?
KorGgenT, who is the driving force behind the steam release will receive the steam sales. Anyone who wants to donate to the rest of the Developer team will need to check cataclysmdda.org/donations for those who have set up ways to receive donations.
Does the steam release mean XX feature/content?
No, the steam release will keep up with the most recent stable for the forseeable future.
Will there be workshop support?
I don't have concrete plans for workshop support yet, but it's something I'd like to make happen if feasible.
I thought the Devs were against a Steam release?
Nope, none of them simply had any interest in putting the legwork in until now.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is it still an autism simulator or have they changed course at some point and started adding meaningful stuff to the game?
Autism simulator. Main dev wants to focus on "realism" and is pairing down content that is too fantastical and replacing it with nuanced survival mechanics like kcalories burned, exertion, and perspiration.
I wouldn't be amazed if bionics just gets completely phased out despite being so fun to acquire and use. That's the mentality these over there these days.
No endgame content added or real increasing threat (monster evolution is still a joke). If you mastered the game at any point in the past, you'll easily master it now within an ingame week of familiarization.

CDDA could use more challenge like this rather than be an immersive sim. I'd like to see a mod where the zombies are replaced by zombie NPCs (much tougher, more intelligent AI, gear matters, can have specialized mutations, etc.).
There was as fork (Bright Nights?) that started not very long ago, possibly by some ex-CDDA dev. I don't know where it is heading and if it does anywhere. It supposedly was about bringing back some "fun", possibly bring back some SF features that were ditched at some points. And in general not going the simulation/"autism" way in the future. What is happening with it, i'm not sure.

It is such shame that instead of adding challenge and good content late game - they had several years to do that - they went the "let's remake the game completely" and spent the time on that. It isn't a good to thing to change development goals when the game is already so advanced. Even if it's a non-commercial (until recently) roguelike. Instead of a fun, shooting zombies and aliens simulator with some survival elements and a lot of SF they just turned 120 degrees and went with quasi-realistic, "autistic" survival simulator with zombies, and the most bonkers "SF" left. I don't have anything against the latter per se if one wants to make one from scratch. It's just that CDDA wasn't such game for a long time. Now it is a schizophrenic game. It aims for realism but you can change into a rabbit-man, flower-man and fish-man or become a cyborg and the life on Earth is being attacked by several extra-dimensional races. They added time travel too, lately. Ok, not exactly but you get the point. There are more schizophrenia included too. And unless they remove all the fun parts, it will remain a mentally sick game. And if they do... well, who knows but possibly this will be a goodbye to fun.

PapaPetro

There was as fork (Bright Nights?) that started not very long ago, possibly by some ex-CDDA dev. I don't know where it is heading and if it does anywhere. It supposedly was about bringing back some "fun", possibly bring back some SF features that were ditched at some points. And in general not going the simulation/"autism" way in the future. What is happening with it, i'm not sure.

It is such shame that instead of adding challenge and good content late game - they had several years to do that - they went the "let's remake the game completely" and spent the time on that. It isn't a good to thing to change development goals when the game is already so advanced. Even if it's a non-commercial (until recently) roguelike. Instead of a fun, shooting zombies and aliens simulator with some survival elements and a lot of SF they just turned 120 degrees and went with quasi-realistic, "autistic" survival simulator with zombies, and the most bonkers "SF" left. I don't have anything against the latter per se if one wants to make one from scratch. It's just that CDDA wasn't such game for a long time. Now it is a schizophrenic game. It aims for realism but you can change into a rabbit-man, flower-man and fish-man or become a cyborg and the life on Earth is being attacked by several extra-dimensional races. They added time travel too, lately. Ok, not exactly but you get the point. There are more schizophrenia included too. And unless they remove all the fun parts, it will remain a mentally sick game. And if they do... well, who knows but possibly this will be a goodbye to fun.
Yeah it looks like the main dev team has become a full fledged Autistocracy with their out-of-touch design (and now business) philosophy.
Here's a classic example where I have to go into autism mode to state my case why you shouldn't have to be buck naked in the summer just to avoid headstroke in the game.
Years later (this year) they finally implemented the perspiration system as a post-hoc fix/justification for a decade long broken mechanic.

The project needs to fork away from the main devchain hard. Whether onto Bright Nights or something, but this simulationist direction is destroying the purpose of the game in the first place: to have fun. Autists and PCs have different concepts and balance of "fun".

Last edited by a moderator:

Covenant

Savant
It's unfortunate but perhaps inevitable that the spergiest contributers rise to the top of these open-source projects and suck the fun out of them, DC:SS being the other obvious roguelike example. Wikipedia springs to mind as well.

I hope Bright Nights does gain some momentum, because 'back in the day' (0.B, maybe?) before Cata became about stupid shit like nutrition and temperature and z-level implementation, it really was fun to build a deathmobile and bust through a mall full of hundreds of zombies, or to smoke so much crack you thought you could fistfight a hulk. If it had ever gotten the lategame it deserves, it could have been something special.

Rosey

Novice
I've been enjoying it quite a bit since the last release but to be fair I never gave it this amount of attention in the past. Beginning to get tedious but after ~100 hours on a free game I feel like I cant bitch.

Yeah it looks like the main dev team has become a full fledged Autistocracy with their out-of-touch design (and now business) philosophy.
Here's a classic example where I have to go into autism mode to state my case why you shouldn't have to be buck naked in the summer just to avoid headstroke in the game.
Years later they finally implemented the perspiration system as a post-hoc fix/justification for a broken mechanic.

The project needs to fork away from the main devchain hard. Whether onto Bright Nights or something, but this simulationist direction is destroying the purpose of the game in the first place: to have fun. Autists and PCs have different concepts and balance of "fun".

One dude who's been contributing since 2015 just threatened to make his own branch on the subreddit after a pissing match with the other devs.

PapaPetro

One dude who's been contributing since 2015 just threatened to make his own branch on the subreddit after a pissing match with the other devs.
Yeah a lot of this is coming to the surface lately in the CDDA community.
I'd be nice if someone had some clear vision and leadership to steer the game toward where everyone imagines it should go.
Since the early game gets eventually mastered where you can survive indefinitely, I always thought the future of the game was the Endgame threats. But Endgame has been barren of content for years now. Instead they focus all their talent on mechanical nuances and ideological loyalty to realism. I just want to play I game where I have fun taking down zombies and aliens with a self-made pneumatic rifle I put together with duct tape, a couple pipes and some mechanic knowhow.
I guess the goal now is to see how far they can turn this roguelike into a Reality simulator. Which is interesting and all, but I liked the game when it more when was a Sci-fi Zombie Survivor simulator.

Innovation is either going to come from the mod scene or the fork scene, not from the main scene at this rate.

Rosey

Novice
I agree. I think it's the main reason the game is getting old on me. In a "survival" roguelike I feel you're supposed to eventually die. Portal storms pissed people off. In concept it's interesting but it never threatened me really and I think the people bitching are just bad. Hordes you have to try to get hit by. Fungi is just annoying. I like the realism and simulation aspects but it would be neat if in addition to these updates we got things like more tiers of zombie evolution. It would dope to see the world go from Day of The Dead to the surface of a world lost in a 40k warp storm. Shit like the "bad" ending in SR: Draggonfall. It's supposed to be an eldritch apocalypse. Endgame is too voluntary. Fucking around and finding out should be necessary to get the loot required to survive the increasing threats not done in suicidal boredom.

An example would be being required to get some kind of anti-portal bubble shield for your camp from the science labs before a certain date when a massive portal storm lets countless nigh unkillable demons rape the world. After it subsides the world is different... and maybe some of them stayed behind. Boom. New tier, new enemies.

All that said I again gotta admit the game is free. Overall it's not egregious of them and can do what they want in a hobby- it's just sorta gay and disappointing seeing they cant fucking work together. I really like the game. I hope it doesn't get a steam release. Think that would be serious decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom