Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

1H strong attack on most greatsword (poke/slash).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
And already in Dark Souls 1 swords bounced off walls; that 1 hollow on the bridge before Undead Burg was trolling many people going in the direction of Firelink Shrine precisely for that reason...
On what bridge? Do you mean that one that jumps down, or that one with firebomb?
I mean the last one you meet before the rat, going from Firelink Shrine. If you come from the other direction, you have to fight him on the thin ledge just after exiting the corridor. If you don't use thrusting moves, you will most likely hit the door / wall. I've seen many posts around from people annoyed with this,

Shadenuat

Arcane
Met a guy with Pate's Spear+Hand(maybe Caestus), got stunned for 6 hits, maybe 7 if we count additional hits on Pate's because one handed it has Lance animation. Simple attack - spear 1 or 2 times, hit with naked hand, spear again.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Blinding Bolt is pretty fun. Not sure it's worth the 65 faith, but most people in PVP do not seem to expect it. Especially helpful in situations where you are up against two people.

Just use 10-15 skeptic's spice?
It shines against slow and large bosses, like rotten.

Eh. I'm against using spices.

Yeah it is definitely valuable against certain bosses, same as Life Draining Patch. I killed the Gargoyles in the bell tower in a few seconds with LDP, just waited for all of them to spawn then cast it in their midst a few times.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Blinding Bolt is pretty fun. Not sure it's worth the 65 faith, but most people in PVP do not seem to expect it. Especially helpful in situations where you are up against two people.
Is it same dickish spell that you get in your face in Drakekeeper's Shrine from undead priest all the time?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Is it same dicky spell that you get in your face in Drakekeeper's Shrine from undead priest all the time?

Might be? I always killed those priests very quickly once I was in striking distance. The spell shoots out a ball of electricity which then shoots out a bunch of lightning spears in an arc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Ahaha, Greatclub is the shit
I never thought I will 2 shot people ever again, but here I am. Higher damage than Greatsword + Strike type attack.
Hilarious

Elwro

Arcane
:-( I can never hit people with my Large Club +10. What's the secret? The only weapons I seem to have some limited successes with are swords...

Shadenuat

Arcane
I'm only trying it out but two-handing it seems a good idea, while using one-handed attacks sparingly to bait ppl and use fast roll attack. Two-handing allows for huge swings and even a spinning attack.
Vertical strikes do feel a bit off, and Greatclub is a lot thicker than Large club, but it still feels a bit strange.
Strong two handed attacks save the day for me.

There's a strange bug or lag issue with first two-handed attack, I manage to slam people on the ground without finishing attack animation while they stagger me with their hit (only to bite the dust and see their HP bar halve a second after).
Yeah, that super slam is a lot faster and has more reach you might think. And one-handed attack is still a chain combo with poise damage of 60 (!, more than ultra greatsword).
Club breaks in 2-3 fights since you hit the ground so much.

edit

le fuck

81223322.jpg

100-200 damage
That was two-handed strong attack with a club to the face.

I then did it 5 more times and got 50% more hp off him, until got backstabbed with a dagger
.....hnh

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
And already in Dark Souls 1 swords bounced off walls; that 1 hollow on the bridge before Undead Burg was trolling many people going in the direction of Firelink Shrine precisely for that reason...
On what bridge? Do you mean that one that jumps down, or that one with firebomb?
I mean the last one you meet before the rat, going from Firelink Shrine. If you come from the other direction, you have to fight him on the thin ledge just after exiting the corridor. If you don't use thrusting moves, you will most likely hit the door / wall. I've seen many posts around from people annoyed with this,
That suck for them. Use shield to block his attack and then use either trusting weapon, or strike from left. That rat is much more dangerous without trusting weapon, also its poison ouch. And when they returned, they were quite far away anyway, perhaps even as far as that bridge with firebombers. In comparison to some other tight space fights it was trivial. (especially if they get smallsword, or longsword)

They could also back step into the room, and switch weapons, or progress further and try to find another bonfire to level up and find another weapon, or respawn at bonfire as hollow. Only problem with him is when someone comes back and find it stands here again. Well, too bad. Playing tag with armored boar is difficult as well.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
GMB somehow got better? What the fuck is this game even?

My GMB with 50 faith and a Lingering Dragoncrest Ring +1 lasts oh... 2 minutes roughly.

EDIT: This meta is going to be far worse. Fights will take 20 minutes+ with Numb Havelixs running around powerstancing and absorbing all damage. I may have to test Havelix and see if he can tank NG+ bosses for lulz.

PREPARE TO SHINE!

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
That suck for them. Use shield to block his attack and then use either trusting weapon, or strike from left. That rat is much more dangerous without trusting weapon, also its poison ouch. And when they returned, they were quite far away anyway, perhaps even as far as that bridge with firebombers. In comparison to some other tight space fights it was trivial. (especially if they get smallsword, or longsword)

They could also back step into the room, and switch weapons, or progress further and try to find another bonfire to level up and find another weapon, or respawn at bonfire as hollow. Only problem with him is when someone comes back and find it stands here again. Well, too bad. Playing tag with armored boar is difficult as well.
I know what they can do. The issue was whether swords bounced off walls in DS1 already. My point was that -- apart from the fact that I clearly remember it -- e.g. the internet butthurt from that particular hollow seems to confirm it.

The part I hate the most about the nerf is that it doesn't reflect in the actual damage numbers listed for the weapons affected. Santier's still shows the mundane scaling (mine is +280) but it doesn't reflect in action. This is really a lot like the stupid "strike" bonus that some weapons don't have for whatever reason.

DragoFireheart

The part I hate the most about the nerf is that it doesn't reflect in the actual damage numbers listed for the weapons affected. Santier's still shows the mundane scaling (mine is +280) but it doesn't reflect in action. This is really a lot like the stupid "strike" bonus that some weapons don't have for whatever reason.

King's Ultra Greatsword comes to mind.

King's Ultra Greatsword comes to mind.

Drakekeeper's warpick, Archdrake mace... All weird maces with movesets borrowed from other weapons. I think one thing they SHOULD have nerfed for santier's is poise damage. All twinblades with that moveset have 20-25 and cannot stunlock you into an infinite combo like santier's.

Edit: Archdrake mace has 60 poise damage which is insane for a halberd-class weapon. I'm starting to think that a lot of weapon stats are fluff... Poise damage sometimes reflects in action and sometimes not... So who the fuck knows...

Last edited:

Murk

Arcane
DragoFireheart It seems to reduce damage more, too. I went up against the typical havel setup and while normally my hits would do 250+ damage they did like 150ish damage. This could also be reflected by the flame weapon buff being nerfed, tho, so who knows. But then, forbidden sun did like 200-300 damage where it would normally do more.

The pvp is so infuriating that it's not giving me a lot of fun. Between lag, getting invaded when I'm in prisoner's tatters and getting backstabbed because I was fighting off a dragon or stone soldier and the horror that is a havelix I'm just starting to ask "why do I do this again?".

Then, some fun happens at places like tower of flame... blehhh. I guess... I guess I'll sell out. I'll respec and put my 50 cumulative points of int/faith into vit and just run around in turtle gear =(

DragoFireheart

DragoFireheart It seems to reduce damage more, too. I went up against the typical havel setup and while normally my hits would do 250+ damage they did like 150ish damage. This could also be reflected by the flame weapon buff being nerfed, tho, so who knows. But then, forbidden sun did like 200-300 damage where it would normally do more.

The pvp is so infuriating that it's not giving me a lot of fun. Between lag, getting invaded when I'm in prisoner's tatters and getting backstabbed because I was fighting off a dragon or stone soldier and the horror that is a havelix I'm just starting to ask "why do I do this again?".

Then, some fun happens at places like tower of flame... blehhh. I guess... I guess I'll sell out. I'll respec and put my 50 cumulative points of int/faith into vit and just run around in turtle gear =(

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2780hv/buff_souls_2_prepare_to_shine/

I'm leading the charge here. /half serious

Hey praetor you may not want to quit that mage build quite yet. Have you tested Unleash Magic duration post-patch?

praetor

Arcane
for now i only quit my main PvP (pyro/dex) build, mage is doing a decent job at bellkeeping and that post gave me an idea (HCMS + hidden weapon blue flame into soul greatsword/CSS)

Murk

Arcane
If the blue flame had a better horizontal slash, it'd be my go to alt weapon. Currently it uses the heide knight sword move set and I reallllly don't like that set.

Tho, it is currently great to spring a surprise chameleon or soul GS at someone when they don't expect it.

Side note: I looooooove catching people in fire whip. It's so good. They see me toss 2 forbidden suns and think that's what's coming, they roll at me and blammmm 600 damage over 15 or so hits. So good. I don't even care if I die after that, I already won in my heart.

DragoFireheart

for now i only quit my main PvP (pyro/dex) build, mage is doing a decent job at bellkeeping and that post gave me an idea (HCMS + hidden weapon blue flame into soul greatsword/CSS)

Unleash Magic increases your spell damage by 20% (works for all magic IIRC).

If the patch affects all buffs maybe Unleash Magic lasts 2+ minutes or whatever. Should let your CSS hit for 1400+ easily.

Kanedias

Savant
Unleash Magic also reduces your max HP by 30%, though. It's balanced, way more than Power Within was.

Also I'm not even upset anymore...they made buffs even better for high level players? This is just funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom