Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Prime Junta

I'm actually really impressed with the engine. It runs butter-smooth, looks really good (technically), has highly complex environmental geometry but it's almost impossible to get stuck, fall through, or clip through problems (almost -- I've had one instance of a loot drop getting generated inside a wall), or similar stuff. The right team could make a damn good game with it.

Slow James

Savant
I'm actually really impressed with the engine. It runs butter-smooth, looks really good (technically), has highly complex environmental geometry but it's almost impossible to get stuck, fall through, or clip through problems (almost -- I've had one instance of a loot drop getting generated inside a wall), or similar stuff. The right team could make a damn good game with it.

Well, I have heard it is quite easy to get stuck on a pebble walking around (let alone using the horribly implemented mount feature), so there is that - collision detection could use some serious work.

But yes, it is a powerful engine. And I'd like to see how it evolves once it gets a RTS or a 4X game under its belt. This could make more systems like resource management or complex AI something more polished that could be more easily integrated into future titles, such as an RPG.

Ironically, Mass Effect 4 might have the best shot at being an example of the best of Frostbite when it comes out, since it will have over a dozen different developers and titles under non-DICE studios, it will have all of the RPG work from DA:I done and will be able to build off that further and, of course, the FPS mechanics already laid down in the infancy of FB with the BF series should be relatively easily applied.

Too bad the entire series is a toxic bag of suck with its lore after that ME3 ending...

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PXI92ci.jpg

It does look good at times...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Too bad the entire series is a toxic bag of suck with its lore after that ME3 ending...

One assumes the next ME game will take place many years later with a new protagonist and new enemies, so ME3's shitty plot won't effect it much. I could definitely see a "good" Mass Effect game made on this engine, if Bioware man the fuck up.

Crevice tab

Savant

One assumes the next ME game will take place many years later with a new protagonist and new enemies, so ME3's shitty plot won't effect it much. I could definitely see a "good" Mass Effect game made on this engine, if Bioware man the fuck up.

Bioware manning up...

:notsureifserious:

Frozen

Arcane
I tried it a little and it runs relatively smooth on my old 5870 on medium.
For me thing is you have to turn off ambient occlusion because it crashes during switches to cutscenes. You also have to turn off real time protection of any antivirus you have for crack to work.
And I cant believe but its even more boring playing it than watching someone else plays.
Char creator looks like it has options but I cant figured out how to create a character without looking like mr potato with floppy ears. Maybe its the bad preset.You can do almost anything except pushing ears closer to the skull...or am I doing it wrong?
Started out as a mage on normal and don't see any point in combat. They should just cut it off completely and concentrate on elf faggotry and such. You click with left mouse (or right?) after targeting the enemy and click,click,click,click.Your companions always charge like idiots and because im so far I don't even see the fight (and miss a lot in targeting but whatever).Luckily on normal so far at least its rather quick, and them romping finishes the job even widouth my involvement.
I don't know what abilities do or how much damage they do, and I come upon new non heard before problem-because you spam them with pressing 1-9 if you accidently press `- left of "1" it opens up console and if you start pressing again while the console is up I don't see how to close it.While console is up you cant control your char.He just stands while the fight is going so I had to go ctrl+alt to minimize and close the game.Sometimes pressing `again closes the console but not always and your stuck.
Inventory is kind of confusing, don't get it what is on my char and what is compeered to.
Picking up animation doesn't bothered me as much I fought (still im just like 30 min into so yeah) and its not THAT bad coming close to pick up things.
Tactical is a joke.You dont see enemies so it useless.it was slapped in last minute and anyone who says he is using it is lying. You cant move the camera out of your FOV out of tactical and it makes any attempt of tactics impossible.
The howle port is a joke and its evident from main screen that this is a console game and after 10 min. you see that no effort whatsoever was put into making it pc friendly.
Will try to reach hinterland and dick around a bit but don't see playing it more after that.

Slow James

Savant

The only way I even debate playing a ME game is if the entire series and lore is reboot. No amount of time and space should be able to overcome the drastically different ending galaxy states, unless they go with a canon ending. A canon ending I could get behind.

But Bioware is too enamored with the idea of the bullshit Save Import, despite the fact it accomplishes nothing over any of their games besides build unrealistic hype.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh ho ho, one hour? That's early-game stuff. I've been running into events that go for 4-6 hours, even one that went for twenty. Thank god you can work around it by changing your system clock.

Yeah, I just really and seriously can't even begin to understand the point of this mechanic.
The timer mechanic is to give the player the sense that he is not the one and only person in the entire organization who is actually doing anything. You give orders to a dood, and he says OK and goes to do it, and then later he comes back and says I did it. In the meantime, you are supposed to do other things, not just sit there and stare for 6 hours :lol:

Take out the timer and those support characters just become ATMs - push a button to instantly receive cash and influence. That would be much stupider. As to the people who cheat by resetting their clock - you know the dev console is right there, right? Why not just give yourself a billion influence and call it good? Seems weird to me.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!

Some people have been thinking it might be a prequel rather'n a sequel. The human-Turian first contact war nobody ever talks about post-ME1 because Turians stopped being Dirty Harry good guys and just became good guys. Honestly, the optimistic ME3 synthesis ending is so absurdly low-tech that it's stunning that it was even discussable. The idea that centuries from now a spacefaring human race -won't- be fully integrated with machines is...science fantasy. Do you know how shit the human body, unmodified, is at dealing with space travel? You -need- nanites and Gattaca-style genetic engineering to do it. Period. Hilariously, there's a codex entry in ME1 iirc that states that there's genetic pressure not to genefix your kids. Speaking as a hive of chronic disease, I have to say I'd set my parents on fire if they'd had the power to repair me prenatally and chose not to "because of reasons."

The real crime of Mass Effect, beyond its essentially being a self-important Star Trek (an even more self-important Star Trek?) offensive to anyone actually interested in futurism, transhumanism or any of the other sad nerd words that mean "scifi as viewed through an attempted lens of reality," is that it's anthropic and conservative. Humanity goes to the stars...and all the aliens are like us! Even the jellyfish people are more Mormon than they are -alien,- in the non-extraterrestrial sense of the word! And then they save the universe from the evil harvest spaceships with the absurd reasoning that it's impossible for carbon-based life forms to live with meat life forms even though not two hours ago I taught the geth and the quarians to live in harmony just by shouting at them a bit, in what might've been the most emotionally successful moment of the whole series!

dryan

Arcane
Oh ho ho, one hour? That's early-game stuff. I've been running into events that go for 4-6 hours, even one that went for twenty. Thank god you can work around it by changing your system clock.

Yeah, I just really and seriously can't even begin to understand the point of this mechanic.
The timer mechanic is to give the player the sense that he is not the one and only person in the entire organization who is actually doing anything. You give orders to a dood, and he says OK and goes to do it, and then later he comes back and says I did it. In the meantime, you are supposed to do other things, not just sit there and stare for 6 hours :lol:

Take out the timer and those support characters just become ATMs - push a button to instantly receive cash and influence. That would be much stupider. As to the people who cheat by resetting their clock - you know the dev console is right there, right? Why not just give yourself a billion influence and call it good? Seems weird to me.
Alternatively, they could just skip this idiotic feature altogether. Not every innovation is automatically good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The only way I even debate playing a ME game is if the entire series and lore is reboot. No amount of time and space should be able to overcome the drastically different ending galaxy states, unless they go with a canon ending. A canon ending I could get behind.

But Bioware is too enamored with the idea of the bullshit Save Import, despite the fact it accomplishes nothing over any of their games besides build unrealistic hype.

They won't do a save import because of the different console toys involved, same as Inquisition. I guess they could do the same "pick your choices app" thing as they did with this game, but if ME4 is set in a much different time with completely new characters I would hope they wouldn't bother, and would just pick a cannon or not even mention reapers once (which is what they should do).

Slow James

Savant

They could have accomplished this in much better ways. Have the agents be engaged until the player completes X number of quests or moves forward in the story or something. That way, there would. E the possibility that the player might have to do some debate of "is this with waiting until X part of the game, or should I do a shorter mission and get the more instant gratification?"

Instead, it is just a really slow ATM. Which is fucking retarded.

Azarkon

Arcane
Re: sales and AAA CRPGs

The fact of the matter is that AAA CRPGs do need to die. In their present form, they're an abomination of action/shooter gameplay and an ever decreasing list of 'roleplaying features,' masquerading as overly bloated GOTYs. Games eg GTA, Far Cry, AssCreed, for all their faults, know what they want to be, and are designed from the ground up to support that goal. AAA CRPGs frequently do not. From Amalur to DA to FO3 to the FF series, they all stumble about trying to address the same age-old problem: 'how the fuck do you make a AAA CRPG?!?' Only Skyrim manages to grasp it and only because Bethesda has been remaking, effectively, the same game for decades.

In my mind, AAA CRPGs have been dying for a long time. The process began with the decline of tactical strategy games, which is what classic CRPGs, at their core, were. With the all but extinction of tactical strategy games - just the count the amount of TBS and RTS games in the AAA market today... - CRPGs were next on the list. CRPG developers scrambled to keep their sub-genre alive, and they split over those who ran to make MMOs and those who ran to make action games. The former effectively staved off decline by riding on the social gaming train, and took advantage of the fact that network infrastructure scaling favored tactical strategy mechanics over action mechanics in MMOs. The latter figured that, because classic CRPGs were just tactical strategy games with 'roleplaying features,' next gen CRPGs are just action games/shooters with 'roleplaying features.'

The issue is, they overcalculated the degree to which those 'roleplaying features' were what made CRPGs, CRPGs. The tactical strategy aspect was just as important; indeed of greater importance. When people remember fondly back to the days of classic RPGs, the 'classic features' they remember are mechanics eg levels, classes, dice rolls, skill checks, perks, detailed itemization, party combat, layers of status effects, etc. that went hand-in-hand with a tactical strategy base, but which fit poorly with the philosophy behind action games. You don't want levels, dice rolls, detailed itemization, and skill checks in action games, because you want to maximize the player's own twitch control. You don't want party combat, because you don't have the ability to control an entire party in twitch mode. You don't want layers of status effects, because you want the combat to be visceral instead of cerebral.

The further down this action road CRPG companies go, the less CRPG their games become. The 'classic CRPG features' in Bioware games already feel forced, such that with ME 2 and ME 3 they did away with a great deal of it altogether. But because these companies continue to cling to their CRPG moniker, they feel the need to hamfist CRPG mechanics into games where they ultimately do not belong. They do this because they know that without these features, the only difference between their games and action games is the amount of interactive dialogue and C&C, which action game developers are themselves attaching to their games.

The end of the road is, I think, already obvious - games eg Alpha Protocol are a glimpse of what the future holds for AAA CRPGs, and AP isn't a CRPG at all, but an action game with interactive dialogue and C&C. Only then are we finally going to hear the industry declare that CRPGs are dead. Only then does the rebirth begin.

crawlkill

But they give out chump change. We're talking rewards of 30-60 influence after 45 minutes to 12 hours when you need 15000 to get another perk. This does not make them feel valuable. It makes them feel petty.

As I mentioned, the only time I ever actually felt anything about the board was when I wanted to make Cassandra Divine at the end and had already sent the agent I needed off on a 12-hour mission. I had to advance my computer clock to not put off the ending until tomorrow (how innocent I was, thinking it would matter!). I further advanced my computer clock to finish all of the rest of the board missions. My reward for that was a bug where the one related to the adventuring party that talks to you in the tavern didn't advance. Which lead to their ending dying in prison cells. A little googling revealed that that table mission wouldn't trigger if you were already on the last quest. The stuttering dwarf in the tavern would be there to tell you about it; you just couldn't do anything as she begged for help.

My reward for playing the table missions was learning that the enthusiastic party of adventurers I'd been shepherding through the game was dying alone in somebody's cells. If that'd been the intent, I'd've relished it. Since it was just a bug exposing how fucktacular the board was--I guess I still relish it? But in a different way.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The 'Synthesis' decision could work with the others if they play it like, "a couple of months after the Synthesis, the green marks went away and the Green Power genes deactivated." Meaning, the visuals of the ME3 ending were just the initial rush of power in a process that is (1) barely understood by the survivors and (2) will take centuries or thousands of years to achieve fruition.

Slow James

Savant
They won't do a save import because of the different console toys involved, same as Inquisition. I guess they could do the same "pick your choices app" thing as they did with this game, but if ME4 is set in a much different time with completely new characters I would hope they wouldn't bother, and would just pick a cannon or not even mention reapers once (which is what they should do).

There has already been talk of using the exact same "DA Keep" mechanism for ME4, so I have little doubt that it will be their method of resolving things.

Personally, I can't see them NOT picking a canon. Let's assume that Synthesis "wears off" or some bullshit like that... Control basically has an unbeatable army patrolling the galaxy, enforcing God Shephard justice. How could anything be a big enough threat that couldn't be just fixed with "giant Reaper police army?" Destroy could work pretty easily, but again - I think they will half ass it and act like they are respecting the Imports while, in reality, shitting on any type of consequence the choice was supposed to have.

Just like ALL Bioware Save Import choices.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

There aha alareaye been talk of using the exact same "DA Keep" mechanism for ME4, so I Have little doubt that it will be their method of resolving things.

Personally, I can't see them NOT picking a canon. Let's assume that Synthesis "wears off" or some bullshit like that... Control basically has an unbeatable army patrolling the galaxy, enforcing God Shephard justice. How could anything be a big enough threat that couldn't be just fixed with "giant Reaper police army?" Destroy could work pretty easily, but again - I think they will half ass it and act like they are respecting the Imports while, in reality, shitting on any type of consequence the choice was supposed to have.

Its relatively intuitive that the Reapers will pull a Revan and go off the Unknown Regions. Exit pursued by a bear, as Shakespeare would say.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There aha alareaye been talk of using the exact same "DA Keep" mechanism for ME4, so I Have little doubt that it will be their method of resolving things.

Oh definitely, if they do some kind of import that means nothing will actually matter. That's been their MO since this whole fucking save import shit began. "Bioware games are known for their choices... which never fucking matter! Hooray!" Meanwhile games like New Vegas have actual fucking C&C but no one notices because it doesn't carry-over and then get ignored by a sequel. Fucking maddening.

In the end though, like Inquisition, I would probably just play on default canon and not really worry about it. Their plots are dumb anyway.

dryan

Arcane
Playing it right now. It's way too heavy for my toaster. It took a good two minutes just to load character creation. Let's see how it fares in the actual game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alternatively, they could just skip this idiotic feature altogether. Not every innovation is automatically good.
Shrug. I think it's fairly effective, but I guess I get why some don't like it. Personally, I'm glad to see them reaching towards something that makes it feel less like everything in the fucking world is sitting there frozen in amber waiting for me personally to come touch it with my magiffical Chosen One body parts. In this case, I think something is better than nothing.

They could have accomplished this in much better ways. Have the agents be engaged until the player completes X number of quests or moves forward in the story or something. That way, there would. E the possibility that the player might have to do some debate of "is this with waiting until X part of the game, or should I do a shorter mission and get the more instant gratification?"
There are certainly other ways to go about it, and I'd like to see other ideas tried in games to come, but again, I'm glad they tried something.

As for using quest completions as timers instead of a real time clock, I actually thought of that, but discarded the idea as worse, because then you introduce a really stupid metagame. I'll 'save' this side quest because I know I can complete it quickly, oh no I did a quest when I didn't have war table counters running, lots of stupid bullshit like this. The way it is now, I can concentrate on doing quests because I want to do them, and skip quests I don't want to do, and let the war table agents go do their own thing in their own time, and have a cool debriefing waiting for me (maybe) next time I'm back at base.

But they give out chump change. We're talking rewards of 30-60 influence after 45 minutes to 12 hours when you need 15000 to get another perk. This does not make them feel valuable. It makes them feel petty.
Hey, I never said the idea was perfectly executed. I completely agree that the rewards for the war table stuff are very lackluster. Honestly I just do them because I like feeling involved with the agents and reading the little story resolutions.

crawlkill

Playing it right now. It's way too heavy for my toaster. It took a good two minutes just to load character creation. Let's see how it fares in the actual game.

Loading times are terrible, even on an SSD. Some engine issue.

I played it on an SSD. The load times did feel terrible, but that might be the whole "spoiled by 39 second functional restarts" thing. They're obnoxious, but not unacceptable.

The really annoying thing is when you need to go from place to place in rapid succession. Having to load for 20 seconds to go to Skyhold and do your warboard missions? Fucking NO. You seriously couldn't give me messenger pigeons, Bioware?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom