Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm challenging people on the Bioware forums praising this game to name me one good sidequest. The ones they come back to me with are all banal shit boring fetch or collect quests. When I tell them that, they reply "well that's what RPG quests are." These are the same people who saw no writing or quest improvements in New Vegas over Fallout 3, I am guessing.

This shit is bad for my sanity.

Edit: OVER NEW VEGAS FUCKKKKKK!!!!

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm challenging people on the Bioware forums praising this game to name me one good sidequest. The ones they come back to me with are all banal shit boring fetch or collect quests. When I tell them that, they reply "well that's what RPG quests are." These are the same people who saw no writing or quest improvements in New Vegas or Fallout 3, I am guessing.

I assume you meant to write "New Vegas over Fallout 3". :M

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Mark Darrah: It doesn't make it easier to take all the time but you have to be open, you have to be willing to at least listen. The problem is that people don't always know what they actually want, Henry Ford said that if you asked people what they wanted they would say a faster horse. I think that is true to a certain degree so you need to hear and incorporate it but not be enslaved by it.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-11-03-biowares-inquisition

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm challenging people on the Bioware forums praising this game to name me one good sidequest. The ones they come back to me with are all banal shit boring fetch or collect quests. When I tell them that, they reply "well that's what RPG quests are." These are the same people who saw no writing or quest improvements in New Vegas or Fallout 3, I am guessing.

Holy shit yes I did. I might defend some shit on here but let's not get carried away.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Holy shit yes I did. I might defend some shit on here but let's not get carried away.
I believed you meant it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
UnderRail thread: 65 pages since Feb. 2012

Dragon Age Inquisition thread: 396 pages since Aug. 2012

Fallout: New Vegas megathread located in General Gaming

Dragon Age Inquisition megathread located in General RPG Discussion

f6168f42bd.png

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
Random question after seeing the tutorial boss fight, how are you supposed to disrupt the oblivion gates if the main character is the tank?

I had much bigger problems doing it with my mage. Because the mage was just interrupted again and again. while my tank was not. I also played with a higher difficulty with the tank.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech

It's because ANY game from BioWare or Bethesda are gigantic shitposter magnets.

Welcome to the codex.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So after finally clearing the first area. The mmo-area, the game becomes... enjoyable. It has the standard Bioware story though. Evil thing out to eat the world, and you are the only man/woman/cow-looking thing to stop it.
The other areas have been so much better structured, with quests that actually matters. Still fetch quests, at least some of them, but most of the quests have a interesting background story. It kinda reminds me of DA:O, small to medium sized areas to wander around in. It's still kinda lifeless, but so was DA:O. I think if Bioware didn't sell this game as a Skyrim killer I wouldn't mind, but by watching trailers and reading about the game you get the impression that the game is fully open-world with people/npcs having their own lives. Not the case, but as I said, I don't really mind
that aspect since most rpgs are designed that way... it's just the misinformation that gets me. Going in gaming with those expectations will kill the first impression. Oh well, at least it's not 45 euros wasted now. Relieved :)

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
look at all the people buying this thing. this is shamefur dispray and u should be ding dong bannu.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
COMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHIT
COMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHITCOMBAT IS STILL SHIT

set

Arcane
I can't wait to see a plot analysis of this game. From what I've watched so far, it's so all over the place... It might be less coherent than DA2.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So after finally clearing the first area. The mmo-area, the game becomes... enjoyable. It has the standard Bioware story though. Evil thing out to eat the world, and you are the only man/woman/cow-looking thing to stop it.
The other areas have been so much better structured, with quests that actually matters. Still fetch quests, at least some of them, but most of the quests have a interesting background story. It kinda reminds me of DA:O, small to medium sized areas to wander around in. It's still kinda lifeless, but so was DA:O. I think if Bioware didn't sell this game as a Skyrim killer I wouldn't mind, but by watching trailers and reading about the game you get the impression that the game is fully open-world with people/npcs having their own lives. Not the case, but as I said, I don't really mind
that aspect since most rpgs are designed that way... it's just the misinformation that gets me. Going in gaming with those expectations will kill the first impression. Oh well, at least it's not 45 euros wasted now. Relieved :)
Man, The Secret World is another MMO with much better quests, story and area design... crap combat just made all that irrelevant.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
so I just went to Val Royaux, finally, and I'm confused at how jokey and meta all the "Read" objects here are. I like em, but most of the ones in that first adventure area were more thoughtful/sincere. but I encountered the coolest thing I've seen in the game yet:

at the gallows, there's a Read object that posts the song/poem "She of the Highwaymen Repents." it's an obvious subject matter-and-lyrical-structure rewrite of the classic Gallows Pole, of which the canonical version has to be Odetta's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqjXNtZxOX0

It's shorter and cuts some intermediary verses down, but it's clearly the intent. Val Royaux seems, so far, to be the place where writers got to stuff their weird little references, and this is such a neat one.

overall, so far: I haven't gotten to the part where people say it gets good yet. the first questing area reminds me less of an MMO and more of an AssCreed game. "lots of stuff to do! ...but it's the same stuff over and over." I had fun in multiplayer tanking with a controller, could kinda pretend it was an action game, but in single player it really feels like it wants to be controlled like a tactical RPG without giving you the tools for that. I kind of wish they'd gone full-on action RPG/

I also think my narrator is a no-personality tool. he seems to exist only to prompt further dialogue. he's never funny or anything. he has personality only in the most basic sense that I can guide his mood. voiced protagonists are SO BAD in dialogue RPGs. Geralt sort of gets a pass because he's actually already a fairly strong character, and you're -actually- just guiding the mood of that strong character. in DA2 and DAI, you're guiding the mood of a cipher.

I certainly don't hate it. there've been bits of good writing. but it's no whole, coherent powerhouse. I suspect once I get to that point every review and post mentions where it stops being so repetitive that I'll upgrade from "don't hate it" to "like it okay." but throwing a bland completionist zone at me out of the gate is not a great way to win my affection.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So after finally clearing the first area. The mmo-area, the game becomes... enjoyable.

Enough people I trust are saying this to make me consider playing more of it. $60 is pretty steep though, just hoping the MMO-ness of it wanes.

hell bovine

Arcane

It's because ANY game from BioWare or Bethesda are gigantic shitposter magnets.

Welcome to the codex.
That's because quite a few posters here a mental masochists. Secretly they like it. :D

lol that orlesian masked ball quest

>jumping around in the ballroom
>jump over a ledge
>lose 1 court approval

:lol::lol::lol:

seems like my human noble background helped me a bit with additional dialogues options cause i sure botched that fucking dance:oops:

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
So after finally clearing the first area. The mmo-area, the game becomes... enjoyable.

Enough people I trust are saying this to make me consider playing more of it. $60 is pretty steep though, just hoping the MMO-ness of it wanes.

The first area as far as i can see wasnt designed to be cleared, but more a very very very long introduction. I only did some quests which i thought made sense in the setting, such as building watchtowers, getting horses for the inquisition etc, plus some gathering shit for crafting, which yields pretty good items, and finally getting feedback from my team at Haven. At least the import world state worked for me, when i ask for specific events. There are some things you cannot do on that map until much later, such as a rift which has level 12 demons. At lvl 5 i went to the other map, to get the 'story' rolling. Ocd completionist and bw worshippers will probably slog through all the content on that map in 1 go but thats not necessary (or advisable).

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Firsat impression thus far:

Good;
- Very nice Environments graphic- and sometimes atmosphere-wise
- Dialogue is fun mostly.
- Story could turn out to be okay. But I'm not sure yet.

Bad:
- Catastrophic controls! Fuck you, console bastards! Ruined the whole beginning for me!
- Can't adjust attributes.
- Not that much skills.
- Not as much C&C as I have hoped (until now at least).
- Can't be really evil (not that I'd want to, but I'd like to have the option).
- Despite all those quest markers etc. I get lost pretty often. Not in a good way; rather in a frustrating one.
- All sorts of foreign accents, blacks, spaniards and of course wymyn warriors in European looking medieval mountain villages. Stupid SJW shit breaking my immershun. :fight:
- I hate enemy respawn. I just hate it!
- Can't punish Sera for being shit. Can only decline her offer to join the Inquisition. Which I gladly did.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The first area as far as i can see wasnt designed to be cleared, but more a very very very long introduction. I only did some quests which i thought made sense in the setting, such as building watchtowers, getting horses for the inquisition etc, plus some gathering shit for crafting, which yields pretty good items, and finally getting feedback from my team at Haven. At least the import world state worked for me, when i ask for specific events. There are some things you cannot do on that map until much later, such as a rift which has level 12 demons. At lvl 5 i went to the other map, to get the 'story' rolling. Ocd completionist and bw worshippers will probably slog through all the content on that map in 1 go but thats not necessary (or advisable).

With clear I mean finally get passed it. I have loads of stuff there still to do, the problem I had with this area is that the main purpose of going there gets lost after you been bombarded with about 3000 quests in 10 minutes, all pointing at some place on the map. I got overwhelmed and most of the quests felt like filler mmo-quest type of things. I had to go to Redcliff to get an understanding on what I was supposed to do there and to understand that I'm not only there to collect blankets for the refugees :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom