Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Compare it to dragon's dogma rather

Any action RPG compared to Dragon's Dogma is objectively inferior.

~fin

dryan

Arcane
So the game is decent if you reprogram yourself to judge it as a console game rather than as a PC game? What kind of bullshit argument is this?

The point is this IS an action RPG designed first for consoles. If you don't want to play that, don't play the game period. If you do play it, the controls are fine for the kind of game it is. People complaining about the controls are mostly focused on how not-Origins it is, but that's the core game more than not having click-to-move. Witcher 2 didn't have click-to-move either.

I wasn't talking about the controls. I'm talking about a shitty game suddenly becoming decent if you think of it as belonging to a different genre or platform.

But if you want to go that route, fine. So how does this game compares to Dark Souls?

I wouldn't since Dragon's Dogma would actualy come on top.
You just did.

Malpercio

Arcane
Alright, done with 2 more areas!

The Exalted Plains had some good potential, some elven tombs to explore with even 1 puzzle (WOW) and I even enjoyed the final attack to the castle. However, the game kept suffering from "we want the Skyrim audience", there areas are far to big for their own sake. Every good moment the game has is hidden between billions of fetch quests.

Crestwood was far better, the area was much smaller and actually had some interesting objectives, re-capture the castles and make it yours (it even becomes a mini-base for the Inquisition), drain the lake and 1 spoiler stuff.

I feel the crafting system is worth discussing. Visually, it's really interesting. I like what Bioware did, every update you create it actually shows on the weapon! So when you create a dragon dildo-shaped grip for you staff and you insert it on your staff, the staff will change appearance. It's actually kinda impressive.

However, the itemization is the usual modern garbage. + 2 strength! + 2 will! +2 stat that doesn't mean jack shit and you know it!

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just watched a stream... the guy said "It plays like The Old Republic, I love this."

Oh, humanity.:negative:

Azarkon

Arcane
Why can't they set it far before this actually happened, make you take part in the peace process. Have you gather allies, undertake missions to make sure this peace summit happen?
And when all is done and good, you think to yourself 'Yes, I've achieved my objective. Shame it's quite short...' then a single explosion right at the Conclave takes away everything you worked for. And worst, people accused you being the part of this event since you pushed so hard for this.

THAT, would make a fucking awesome midpoint twist. Compared to the fucking menu explosion we had to endure at the start followed with a sense of detachment and a woman telling that I should take responsibility for clicking START NEW GAME BUTTON IN THE FUCKING MAIN MENU.

In the bioware twitch streams the developers mention that they actually had an extended prologue. But they cut it because they didn't want to load a new player down with plot and lore they may know nothing about.

Which is the exact reason to have a prologue to begin with. Without it you have no idea how these people are interconnected. But I also assume Bioware covered most of this stuff in knock off books and comics in the build up to release.

I am also willing to believe that Bioware and EA are willing to sell a extended prologue DLC. So that may also be a reason for the lack of a full opening.

Who needs a mfcking prologue? THIS IS BATTLEFIELD CALL OF DUTY DRAGON AGE INQUISITION!

EA, EA never changes.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I dunno, I don't play console action games. :smug:
So you don't know that Dragon Age isn't a very good action game either?

I already said this game was bad and got a refund on Origin. So... yeah.

The original Origins, though it had flaws, was not a console action game by any means. I would even argue Dragon Age 2's issues aren't focused in that area. This third game however is a console action game with MMO quest and world design. That sums it up as good as anything. Kingdoms of Amalur.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Something that came up today (no, not horn related):

Can someone explain how respawns work in this game please?

If you clear a couple of rifts in Hinterlands, are they cleared, cleared, or just cleared for that particular exposure to the map? Do rifts open in a respawn style, so the area is never *clear* until you do something main-questy?

If you clear the Hinterlands of Templars, Mages, do they stay cleared or do they just respawn until some main-questy thing is done?

Same for goats, resources, loot boxes, dragons, bandits whatever and etc?

Thanks.

So the game is decent if you reprogram yourself to judge it as a console game rather than as a PC game? What kind of bullshit argument is this?

The point is this IS an action RPG designed first for consoles. If you don't want to play that, don't play the game period. If you do play it, the controls are fine for the kind of game it is. People complaining about the controls are mostly focused on how not-Origins it is, but that's the core game more than not having click-to-move. Witcher 2 didn't have click-to-move either.

I wasn't talking about the controls. I'm talking about a shitty game suddenly becoming decent if you think of it as belonging to a different genre or platform.

But if you want to go that route, fine. So how does this game compares to Dark Souls?

Compare it to dragon's dogma rather, its quite similar combat system except you wont see mage joint casting and localized damage on big monsters.Theres no timed roll and dodge , not the feeling of danger like in dark souls.You can program your companions to use potions at a % of health and attacking the same target , they are like the side kick of dragon's dogma , with a lot more dialogue than "wolves hunt in pack".Prettier with better areas to explore, easier too. It doesnt deserves the irrational hatred some give it here, especially when it doesnt prevent to play true PC rpg this year.
You know you could just buy it for cheap in a third world online shop via proxy or vpn and just activate the key on origin , its not that a big deal .

ffs. there is timed roll ability for every class. check fucking skill tree.
warriors- combat roll (battlemaster skill tree)
rogues- evade (subterfuge )
mages- faed step ( ice magic )

there is even active parry skill (Block and Slash in Two handed weapon skill tree)/(Parry in double daggers)

also there are healing spells. one use Focus to heal so you can use it only in combat once or twice and cant spam every encounter and there is revival spell in spirit skill tree.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Something that came up today (no, not horn related):

Can someone explain how respawns work in this game please?

If you clear a couple of rifts in Hinterlands, are they cleared, cleared, or just cleared for that particular exposure to the map? Do rifts open in a respawn style, so the area is never *clear* until you do something main-questy?

If you clear the Hinterlands of Templars, Mages, do they stay cleared or do they just respawn until some main-questy thing is done?

Same for goats, resources, loot boxes, dragons, bandits whatever and etc?

Thanks.

The rifts never come back in my experience. Some enemies can be permanently cleared, like in the Hinterlands when you destroy the Templar base there are no more rogue Templars in the area. Other enemies though can keep coming back, like wolf packs or whatever else.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Other enemies though can keep coming back, like wolf packs or whatever else.

Thanks for the info.

There's a Wolf Base to destroy, maybe you haven't done that bit for the wolves then?

I've definitely heard that there is some persistent respawning, but I've just heard the word respawns used a lot today and wanted clarification on what exactly gets respawned upon re-entry (no horn gags please).

Azarkon

Arcane

As ridiculous as this Iron Bull romance is, it's within the 'so bad it's funny' camp. Weekes is not a terrible writer, so I'm giving him the benefit of a tongue-in-cheek scenario. He's obviously trying to play it as an inside joke.

Unfortunately, the rest of the game is just bad. Campy writing I'm able to stand, but the quest design and combat system being lifeless and dull in a game that's all about quests and combat, fuck that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for the info.

There's a Wolf Base to destroy, maybe you haven't done that bit for the wolves then?

I've definitely heard that there is some persistent respawning, but I've just heard the word respawns used a lot today and wanted clarification on what exactly gets respawned upon re-entry (no horn gags please).

Yeah that wolf base might kill all the wolves permanently, sure. I would guess some wildlife enemies respawn forever though, like bears. I know I read the areas are pretty empty after questing but surely a few enemies come back. I can't really say for sure though.

Delterius

Arcane
Other enemies though can keep coming back, like wolf packs or whatever else.

Thanks for the info.

There are a number of spawn points that get disabled after you do certain quests. Wolves in Redcliffe are one of those, together with that region's mercenaries, templars and mages. Bears are eternal, however.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
There are a number of spawn points that get disabled after you do certain quests. Wolves in Redcliffe are one of those, together with that region's mercenaries, templars and mages. Bears are eternal, however.

That's awesome, that's kinda bearable I suppose! (pun-duck)

The other bit I heard was that all the ingredients respawn (flowers), making the "increased yield" perk a dead stat. Is this true and do all the Iron and Onyx blah blah blah respawn aswell?

Monkeysattva

Cipher
So, basically, all the RPG's of 2014 are a let down? I mean, I sort of knew DA:I would suck; but I thought Wasteland 2 would be at least OK, andthat Divinity would be something like a good rpg experience, but no. Almost the entire kickstarter crop sucked, and now out of the AAA crowd only Witcher 3 is left to try and not be shit. I am dissapoint.

Mystary!

Arcane
Random question after seeing the tutorial boss fight, how are you supposed to disrupt the oblivion gates if the main character is the tank?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

That's awesome, that's kinda bearable I suppose! (pun-duck)

The other bit I heard was that all the ingredients respawn (flowers), making the "increased yield" perk a dead stat. Is this true and do all the Iron and Onyx blah blah blah respawn aswell?

The plants and minerals all respawn, and quite quickly too. The chests and such do not, as far as I saw.

Slow James

Savant
Who needs a mfcking prologue? THIS IS BATTLEFIELD CALL OF DUTY DRAGON AGE INQUISITION!

EA, EA never changes.

The thing is, while KoA went bankrupt, this will likely be the highest selling Bioware game of all time.

Because, I mean... graphics are so shiny!

Please.

Viata

Arcane
So, basically, all the RPG's of 2014 are a let down? I mean, I sort of knew DA:I would suck; but I thought Wasteland 2 would be at least OK, andthat Divinity would be something like a good rpg experience, but no. Almost the entire kickstarter crop sucked, and now out of the AAA crowd only Witcher 3 is left to try and not be shit. I am dissapoint.
If Wasteland 2 was not OK and Divinity was not a good rpg experience, what are you expecting of Witcher 3?

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane

Any action RPG compared to Dragon's Dogma is objectively inferior.

~fin
Cant blame them to try , and its way more honora

Compare it to dragon's dogma rather, its quite similar combat system except you wont see mage joint casting and localized damage on big monsters.Theres no timed roll and dodge , not the feeling of danger like in dark souls.You can program your companions to use potions at a % of health and attacking the same target , they are like the side kick of dragon's dogma , with a lot more dialogue than "wolves hunt in pack".Prettier with better areas to explore, easier too. It doesnt deserves the irrational hatred some give it here, especially when it doesnt prevent to play true PC rpg this year.
You know you could just buy it for cheap in a third world online shop via proxy or vpn and just activate the key on origin , its not that a big deal .

ffs. there is timed roll ability for every class. check fucking skill tree.
warriors- combat roll (battlemaster skill tree)
rogues- evade (subterfuge )
mages- faed step ( ice magic )

there is even active parry skill (Block and Slash in Two handed weapon skill tree)/(Parry in double daggers)

also there are healing spells. one use Focus to heal so you can use it only in combat once or twice and cant spam every encounter and there is revival spell in spirit skill tree.

Played it only 10 hours, and thres indeed that skill, it should have been a basic action. Well no point to post more impressions of the game, everyone here , played it more intensively than i .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom