Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Telengard

Arcane
Why were populations separated when there are magical portals and flying mounts and whatnot? Why is there one dominant language without a history of empire?

a) there are no magical portals, you fucking reject. you can neither move around nor communicate at range magically in the DA setting. this is an incredibly important feature of the universe.

b) there is a history of empire, you fucking reject. the Tevintir ruled the world.

c) there are black people because there are black people in real life and it is a game and it isn't real. you clearly don't actually give a shit about the consistency of the setting because you don't know a fucking thing about it. you've managed to show off the worst aspects of Asperger's without any of the few redeeming qualities. congraturation

d) you should probably kill yourself at the nearest juncture
I'm the guy who didn't even finish DA:O because of the general level of suck, but even I know your knowledge of DA is low. Even I can eviscerate your arguments. Which makes your defense just plain sad.

Even if we ignore the rifts (which are a magical teleportation gate that is shown in scene one of DA:I - all hail the failed-return-playthrough), there's two other magical portals that I know of - the fade portals and then the elven portals. The elven portals are used to both communicate and teleport in DA:O. There's probably more teleport portals than that too, considering the deus ex machina style of Bioware writing.

And then there's the griffon-riders.

The Tevinter empire was a wide one, but it never even conquered everybody on the continent they share, much less conquered anyone on a different continent. Which means that while they are indeed an empire, they are not one of the world-shattering empires that dominate the globe, more one of the normal ones that conquers a few barbarian peoples and then falls apart not long after.

As for more general world-building, you don't get your cake and get to eat it too. You can go balls to the wall unique fantasy, where anything goes, but you actually have to do something unique. And if you instead go pseudo-historical and starting putting in real races, then you've got to show you know what you're doing with races and languages. That's one of the reasons Tolkein gets so much praise, and those who ape him usually don't get any praise at all.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Why were populations separated when there are magical portals and flying mounts and whatnot? Why is there one dominant language without a history of empire?

a) there are no magical portals, you fucking reject. you can neither move around nor communicate at range magically in the DA setting. this is an incredibly important feature of the universe.

b) there is a history of empire, you fucking reject. the Tevintir ruled the world.

c) there are black people because there are black people in real life and it is a game and it isn't real. you clearly don't actually give a shit about the consistency of the setting because you don't know a fucking thing about it. you've managed to show off the worst aspects of Asperger's without any of the few redeeming qualities. congraturation

I'm the guy who didn't even finish DA:O because of the general level of suck, but even I know your knowledge of DA is low. Even I can eviscerate your arguments. Which makes your defense just plain sad.

Even if we ignore the rifts (which are a magical teleportation gate that is shown in scene one of DA:I - all hail the failed-return-playthrough), there's two other magical portals that I know of - the fade portals and then the elven portals. The elven portals are used to both communicate and teleport in DA:O. There's probably more teleport portals than that too, considering the deus ex machina style of Bioware writing.

The Tevinter empire was a wide one, but it never even conquered everybody on the continent they share, much less conquered anyone on a different continent. Which means that while they are indeed an empire, they are not one of the world-shattering empires that dominate the globe, more one of the normal ones that conquers a few barbarian peoples and then falls apart not long after.

As for more general world-building, you don't get your cake and get to eat it too. You can go balls to the wall unique fantasy, where anything goes, but you actually have to do something unique. And if you instead go pseudo-historical and starting putting in real races, then you've got to show you know what you're doing with races and languages. That's one of the reasons Tolkein gets so much praise, and those who ape him usually don't get any praise at all.

Griffons are extinct and have been for a long while.

Those Eluvian portals are from the prehistory of the setting. They're not 'practical.'

You are wrong.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter

Fade portals transport your soul into the Fade, but leave your body wherever you left it. The only time mages attempted to physically travel into the Fade, they came back as Darkspawn.

Eluvians, accoridng to Morrigan, transport you somewhere aside from the physical world and the Fade, according to Morrigan. They are extremely rare and almost no one knows how to use them.

Griffons have been extinct for centuries, and mounting a flying beast is hardly a practical means for daily international travel.

Most importantly, this is Bioware and no one cares.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
I don't. Bioware will change/ignore/retcon DA lore however they please, much like Blizzard with their settings. The lore is probably the only part of DA series that I actually like, but the games do a piss-poor job representing it.

Kanedias

Savant
iz4LIBv.jpg

:lol:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like Ukraine is currently participating in Dragon Age: I bootleg. You can acquire it for mere 25 $.

Telengard

Arcane
Griffons are extinct and have been for a long while.

Those Eluvian portals are from the prehistory of the setting. They're not 'practical.'

You are wrong.
Fade portals transport your soul into the Fade, but leave your body wherever you left it. The only time mages attempted to physically travel into the Fade, they came back as Darkspawn.

Eluvians, accoridng to Morrigan, transport you somewhere aside from the physical world and the Fade, according to Morrigan. They are extremely rare and almost no one knows how to use them.

Griffons have been extinct for centuries, and mounting a flying beast is hardly a practical means for daily international travel.

Most importantly, this is Bioware and no one cares.

How is it I know more about this crap than you guys do? That just SHOULD NOT BE.

There are 13 griffons known to still exist (which doesn't preclude others existing). There are several elven portals said to be working at the communication level, even if "no one" can teleport through them. "No one" of course meaning excluding you as an elf character at the beginning of the game, and also Morrigan, and also presumably what's her face who trained Morrigan, and anyone else who feels like it. The fade portals are still a magical portal, which could easily be, and possibly may have been, harnessed for communication in the past.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well that because you played games, and paid attention, and they forgot stuff few hours after they finished DA:O.

Basically you are a nerd, and they are just ordinary people. Enjoy your loneliness.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This game is ugly man. Bows floating on quiver's, quiver's floating on armor :lol::lol:. From even a mild distance everything looks like a patchy yellow brown black feces texture. Details are still for the most part 2D images copied into 3D models not even trying to give illusion of depth, just lazy crap. It's like a bizarre Disney cartoon with ugly colours, explosions of blood and bdsm.

Glaurung

Liberal's alt
Shitposter
There are 13 griffons known to still exist (which doesn't preclude others existing). There are several elven portals said to be working at the communication level, even if "no one" can teleport through them. "No one" of course meaning excluding you as an elf character at the beginning of the game, and also Morrigan, and also presumably what's her face who trained Morrigan, and anyone else who feels like it. The fade portals are still a magical portal, which could easily be, and possibly may have been, harnessed for communication in the past.
I don't know about elven origins, but where do you get the stuff about griffons?

Ulrox

Arbiter
My personal strategy is to replay the witcher 2, divinity original sin, legend of grimrock 2, neverwinter nights 2 with expansions. etc etc, and then when bioware releases an edition with all dlc and there's a sale i'll go grab it. No reason to pay the most for the worst version and I've got plenty of other games waiting for me.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Can you elaborate please? What sort of options player has when issuing commands to the whole party/individual members in combat etc. Have you opened class specializations yet? If so, are they making any difference?

I just entered second phase/chapter of the game and it seems every character gained access to one extra skill tree - each to a different one.

Darkion

Augur

:retarded:

That was horrific to watch.

I haven't played a Bioware game in over a dozen years, so is this how all their games are nowadays?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom