Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

kris

Arcane

From you LP I gathered the combat indeed is the weakest part of the game, but come on man! This video is bullshit. You're playing on normal, you're playing alone (no party), you're killing some shitty trash mobs and you're not using any abilities to speed up the whole thing. A little bit convenient to prove your points, don't you think? I can make almost any game to look like shit with this kind of approach...

That encounter is a bit special, an extreme example of the combat. He dont' play without a party, there is no party in that area and the battle looks the same on hard difficult.

The only thing representative of DAI combat in that encounter is the HP bloat. Most other enemies on the other hand pose a real threath and would finish you off if you went autocombat.

dryan

Arcane
The worst part of this game is that I can't play it because of Denuvo, and that makes me want to play it. Not a fuck am I buying it, but I just want what I can't have. I have no doubt I'll probably quit after the first hour anyway.

Fucking Denuvo.
I know that feel.

xsX4oM9.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Wrong. Playing solo, and badly, on normal should make him lose the game, or in case of realy trash mobs kill them quickly. See BG xvarts or BG2 goblins for the latter, BG1 bears for the former.
Hiting a single enemy for five minutes in order to kill him all the while said enemy poses no actual threat in battle is complete shit.

Not defending the game really, but those aren't enemies, they're wildlife. They're not supposed to be challenging. That's also why the others don't join the fight until he attacks a second one. From memory if I walked solo into a normal trash mob and just held down LMB I would definitely get killed in short order. The game's not that dumb.

dryan

Arcane
Wrong. Playing solo, and badly, on normal should make him lose the game, or in case of realy trash mobs kill them quickly. See BG xvarts or BG2 goblins for the latter, BG1 bears for the former.
Hiting a single enemy for five minutes in order to kill him all the while said enemy poses no actual threat in battle is complete shit.

Not defending the game really, but those aren't enemies, they're wildlife. They're not supposed to be challenging. That's also why the others don't join the fight until he attacks a second one. From memory if I walked solo into a normal trash mob and just held down LMB I would definitely get killed in short order. The game's not that dumb.
If they aren't supposed to be challenging, why isn't he able to kill it with one or two shots? In Skyrim I can kill a goat with one arrow.

Rake

Arcane

If they aren't supposed to be challenging, why isn't he able to kill it with one or two shots? In Skyrim I can kill a goat with one arrow.
That. If this thing is the equivalent to deers or squirels, giving them so much hp that you have to attack for minutes in order to kill them is an equaly dumb move.
Even more so if they give crafting ingredients and the Player is excpected to kill some of them.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

I'm not attacking the 'combat' in that video.
I'm simply attacking the whole 'crafting a sense of achievement' that seems to be the defense for littering the outdoors with nodes and nodes of trash every few meters or so.
In MMORPG there are competition for resources and they take longer to respawn.
In DAI, you simply had to leave an area, return and they automatically respawn.
Hence I ask myself this question whenever the game toss me a shopping list of stuff to gather to gain power / craft upgrades: What is the point of asking me to gather 18 elf root to upgrade potions if not to extend and pad the content with meaningless fillers?

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane

I'm not attacking the 'combat' in that video.
I'm simply attacking the whole 'crafting a sense of achievement' that seems to be the defense for littering the outdoors with nodes and nodes of trash every few meters or so.
In MMORPG there are competition for resources and they take longer to respawn.
In DAI, you simply had to leave an area, return and they automatically respawn.
Hence I ask myself this question whenever the game toss me a shopping list of stuff to gather to gain power / craft upgrades: What is the point of asking me to gather 18 elf root to upgrade potions if not to extend and pad the content with meaningless fillers?
The real kick in the nuts though is the little animation they added.

I mean, seriously? If people even bother to scour everything for mats, the least you could have done is make sure looting isn't so slow. Autistic completionists like me have to suffer through hundreds of those even though DA:O didn't bother with it. Hell, I don't think even DA2 was this silly.

kris

Arcane

That. If this thing is the equivalent to deers or squirels, giving them so much hp that you have to attack for minutes in order to kill them is an equaly dumb move.
Even more so if they give crafting ingredients and the Player is excpected to kill some of them.

That is the only animal in wildlife that is like that. The rest either die quickly or in the case of the bear pose a real threath.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It is odd. There are other examples of wildlife being a pain to kill in the game, but it's very random. Most of them die in one hit. I'm not sure what the motivation was there, I guess "realism."

Renegen

Arcane
So apparently this is such a blatant console port that you can't even click on things? :lol:

Sad, a single player MMO could've been fun, but Bioware just cannot into RPGs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom