Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
This game is a very different game than previous Bioware games so I could see someone with certain expectations being upset and the game is also definitely not for everyone(but which game is?). The Area design that Bioware did with this game was fantastic. Full of beautiful and interesting areas. Bioware really improved their environmental storytelling(which has traditionally been something they haven't done well) with the landscape and the props on it doing a good job of helping tell what the story of the area or sub-area is. Also the dynamic nature of much of the maps helps a great deal with this. Opening up entirely new areas and changing the nature of the enemies found in it are very well done. One good example is the stormy coast(I will be putting it in spoilers since it somewhat spoils events for the area).

I do like that in one area finishing a quest literally changed the entire area's look and geography. I also like that killing leaders/finishing quests removes trash mobs from the map. These are good ideas.
You know I kinda like you cause you defended my DA2 thread... But seriously, you are clutching at straws here. Enemies not respawning would be better than enemies not respawning after you kill leader.
As for "area changes after you complete a quest"...."good idea". You are kidding right? BG2 has that, as do the Persona games, FF6, DA2, DA:O, NWN and so on. Great idea my ass.:lol::lol:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
This game is a very different game than previous Bioware games so I could see someone with certain expectations being upset and the game is also definitely not for everyone(but which game is?). The Area design that Bioware did with this game was fantastic. Full of beautiful and interesting areas. Bioware really improved their environmental storytelling(which has traditionally been something they haven't done well) with the landscape and the props on it doing a good job of helping tell what the story of the area or sub-area is. Also the dynamic nature of much of the maps helps a great deal with this. Opening up entirely new areas and changing the nature of the enemies found in it are very well done. One good example is the stormy coast(I will be putting it in spoilers since it somewhat spoils events for the area).

I do like that in one area finishing a quest literally changed the entire area's look and geography. I also like that killing leaders/finishing quests removes trash mobs from the map. These are good ideas.
You know I kinda like you cause you defended my DA2 thread... But seriously, you are clutching at straws here. Enemies not respawning would be better than enemies not respawning after you kill leader.
As for "area changes after you complete a quest"...."good idea". You are kidding right? BG2 has that, as do the Persona games, FF6, DA2, DA:O, NWN and so on. Great idea my ass.:lol::lol:

Bare your blade.
And raise it high.
Stand your ground.
The dawn will come.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ask Gaider. This is a Holy Chant according to him.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Bare your blade.
And raise it high.
Stand your ground.
The dawn will come.
tumblr_lyhfy2Z6371r5v5a1o1_500.png

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Goddamn, do I really want that much when asking for proper BG2 successor?! Fuck fucking indies, all the Underrails, Lords of Xulimas and shit done by three aspergers in their basement, I want a huge and epic RPG with complex and balanced ruleset and the last one I got was over a decade ago. They've got the time and the money, some of them were even there when BG2 was beeing produced yet they decide to do a fucking MMO-like grindfest now while borrowing ideas from retarded shit like Assassin's Creed. That series is fucking shit, it's epitome of casual gaming in its worst sense, so what the fuck are ideas from this shit doing in Dragon Age? I can't believe they fucked up, but this thread is really killing any hopes I have.

I was really hyped for this game, because it could be something special. Don't lie to yourself that these are good times for RPG genre in general - those days are over and will never come back because dumb casual masses took over the market.
I was hyped too. I actually preordered it. I looked at the material they were releasing and thought "Well, I don't see where they could fuck it up." Yet they did :)

Garryydde

Arcane
Patron
Douchebag! Repressed Homosexual
Goddamn, do I really want that much when asking for proper BG2 successor?! Fuck fucking indies, all the Underrails, Lords of Xulimas and shit done by three aspergers in their basement, I want a huge and epic RPG with complex and balanced ruleset and the last one I got was over a decade ago. They've got the time and the money, some of them were even there when BG2 was beeing produced yet they decide to do a fucking MMO-like grindfest now while borrowing ideas from retarded shit like Assassin's Creed. That series is fucking shit, it's epitome of casual gaming in its worst sense, so what the fuck are ideas from this shit doing in Dragon Age? I can't believe they fucked up, but this thread is really killing any hopes I have.

I was really hyped for this game, because it could be something special. Don't lie to yourself that these are good times for RPG genre in general - those days are over and will never come back because dumb casual masses took over the market.
I was hyped too. I actually preordered it. I looked at the material they were releasing and thought "Well, I don't see where they could fuck it up." Yet they did :)
If you looked at the marketing for this game and couldn't see how they could fuck it up then you brought this on yourself. If anything the marketing material is worse than the actual game.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

If you looked at the marketing for this game and couldn't see how they could fuck it up then you brought this on yourself. If anything the marketing material is worse than the actual game.
I guess I was seeing what I wanted to see. 70 bucks can do a great job educating you though.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Have you, like me, against all odds, actually found yourself enjoying DA:I?
I have found myself raging at the fucking lack of mouse-move and the fucked up combat gameplay as dual-wielding rogue. I wish I had played mage instead. I could restart, but the mere thought of having to go through all the tedium again makes me want to not start over.
If the game would be enjoyable, I guess starting over wouldn't be a big deal for me.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The completionist let's player I'm watching on Youtube has just gone 2 hours 29 minutes and nine seconds without engaging in any combat whatsoever and his next video is promoted as being a continuation of party conversations at base camp.

Slow James

Savant
The completionist let's player I'm watching on Youtube has just gone 2 hours 29 minutes and nine seconds without engaging in any combat whatsoever and his next video is promoted as being a continuation of party conversations at base camp.

Given how atrocious the combat had appeared in every video I've watched, consider yourself lucky.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Given how atrocious the combat had appeared in every video I've watched, consider yourself lucky.

No... wait... I think I lied. Somewhere in the middle of all that he fought three trash mob bad guys that was an auto-fight when he met Sera. I guess my personal bias got in the way of remembering that 20 second event.

praetor

Arcane
Bioware game... written by Gaider & team...

I'll be honest, despite serious shortcomings I enjoy some bits of the game enough to press on. It can be good enough for storyfags like me. If you are combatfag, however, steer clear.

is confused. does not compute. self destruct imminent

AwesomeButton

Patron
Bioware game... written by Gaider & team...

I'll be honest, despite serious shortcomings I enjoy some bits of the game enough to press on. It can be good enough for storyfags like me. If you are combatfag, however, steer clear.

is confused. does not compute. self destruct imminent
Yeah, right, It takes a genius writer, like David Gaider, to produce an "interactive" story where:
1. Anything you ever decided can be overruled
2. Anything that has ever been said by any character can be disproven in the blink of an eye.
3. One scene has no connection with the next. One sentence uttered by a character has no connection to the next, or to whatever it was you asked them.
4. Nothing that has just happened matters in the next moment.

A work of genius, really.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My favourite quote in the game is:

"(DISGUSTED NOISE.)" -Cassandra Pentaghast

She has done it at least 3 times in the first 9 Chinquisition videos.

CVUw4Su.png

Zeriel

Arcane
My favourite quote in the game is:

"(DISGUSTED NOISE.)" -Cassandra Pentaghast

She has done it at least 3 times in the first 9 Chinquisition videos.

She should write for IGN.

"(DISGUSTED NOISE.)" (9.4/10)

Ulrox

Arbiter

I was really hyped for this game, because it could be something special. Don't lie to yourself that these are good times for RPG genre in general - those days are over and will never come back because dumb casual masses took over the market..

Dear lord - why would you be hyped for anything Bioware produces...? Of all the original people from baldur's gate I think there's only David Gaider left on the dragon age team. Your only hope lies with indies that you dont want to touch because you've been corrupted by mainstream gaming. Trent Oster and his team has been hinting on reddit that they're working on a new game in the infinity engine that I'm guessing is a new game altogether because it's been in production for a long time - if it was an 'enhanced edition' it would've come out already, but fuck the indies huh...?

You're only -ever- going to get a game made for intelligent people in the indie scene because games are expensive, they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator and that means that even if the game is cleverly written, the game itself will still be appealing to people with very few brain cells. This fact is an absolute truth that makes it so that you should never be hyped for mainstream games if you want solid rpg mechanics and not just action combat, even the witcher series has action combat to appeal to morons. Baldur's gate 2 was made in a time when games WERE MARKETED TO NERDS, not morons, NERDS. Times has changed - nowadays we're looking at phone games being the best income for the least amount of development hours put into them because children and people who have never touched a game before in their lives. What happened after Baldur's gate and the like was made is that PC gaming died and console gaming took its place and was even more lucrative... Publishers quickly realised that marketing to nerds is stupid because the money you get in return is much less than if you market it to the lowest common denominator...

Around this time is when Bioware created kotor and jade empire for console markets - and they had to make dragon age available for the console also so they dumbed it down. Bioware is a part of EA games... EA games want the most return on their money. SO I ASK YOU AGAIN... HOW COULD YOU BE HYPED FOR A BIOWARE GAME IF YOU KNEW THIS WAS THE CASE!?!??!...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom