Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

set

Arcane
It's not like money serves much of a purpose, anyway. If you pick up most loot and vendor it you will have a ton of money constantly, and the only thing to spend it on is a few cases of static vendor loot, much of which isn't very good anyway.

What happened to Bioware and loot? BG 1 & 2 had fantastic examples of vendor loot that you scrounged up coin to get because they were amazing, but I can't remember the last Bioware game after that where loot didn't feel pointless and arbitrary. Maybe NWN1? It had some okay pieces of vendor loot, but as I remember it had the same problem where random drops were always equivelant or much better.

I miss "unique" or uncommon effects on items. Now every RPG loves this model where items just change basic numbers that are affected by everything else, nothing as appealing as "increase casting speed by 500%" (robe of vecna).

I would assume it had to do with the following.

• Balancing DPS is a lot easier than balancing, all those effects BG had.
  • The average joe is more interested in seeing his numbers go up, than finding gear with the potential to completely change your playstyle.
  • Banal upgrades require a lot less assets to, just take the old weapon... maybe give it a new model, and just up the stats. Instead of having to possibly code a new effect.
  • People want to see their numbers go up, fast and quite a bit. Any loot with special effects in a game where the power of your items increases at a high rate will get obsolte too fast anyway for it to be worth it. This is probably why I have seen some jRPGs resort to stickign interesting effects to the accessory slot.
  • As games did dumb down their itemization. Players were too silent. Had players taken a bigger stance against the dumbing down, we may have seen a different story. Look at what happened with Diablo 3. The itemization sucked more than Prosper's attempts at doing something good at launch, but due to a heavy backlash from the community. Blizzard admitted they fucked up, and improved it significantly.
  • Perks have taken over the role these items once had. Albeit, poorly.
Itemization's issues is not just with bland item effects. Where exactly did the items with trade-offs or stat penalties go? I was extremely happy when I found a weapon in a game (released in 2012), which made me very mobile and set everything I hit ablaze, but was offset by the fact that the weapon had terrible range and I took double damage from enemy attacks.

Of course, the biggest insult is the whole requirement system, instead of equipment requiring stats, they now just require a level. Did really well and killed a dragon with your level 5 party? Too bad, you cant enjoy the loot until you are level 14. Robbing you of your satisfaction of putting on the armor after you killed the dragon, now you ahave to wait for the artificial limitaiton to let you equip the armor. I have seen players defend this crap too, especially more casual gamers. Of course, with todays level scaling in RPGs, it is not all too often to run into items you cannot yet equip.

Sadly we are not the target audience for these AAA RPGs and it shows. It is not just BioWare with shit itemization, but everyone else does it as well.

Path of Exile does it right. Though, they're not exactly mainstream I guess. PoE's an ARPG too.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

So that's it?

RPGWatch sucking at the tit of graphics whores too? Officially no better than any number of the bought review sites. Fuck the majority.

It's a valid praise, but there are so many negatives that most positives are easily glossed over.
And all those praises on the graphics just made it more annoying when you encounter glitches and 'unpolished' animations like the companions constant need to reposition themselves even when having dialogues.
They'd walk against the wall, unable to hop over a knee-high fence. And talk like robots to each other, without turning their heads to face one another.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
It's a valid praise....

It's not really valid praise for a AAA title today. Pretty is (or should be) the default position when it has millions upon millions spent on it. Pretty is the base everything should be built on, not the whole of it.. and when it's got fucking terrible writing and shitty mechanics, just being pretty counts for nothing.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's funny how lots of people believe that. Apparently there are levels of dumb beyond "bought Dragon Age Inquisition". The argument "I'm a native speaker so I know this language's grammar perfectly" is the same as old folks saying "You don't know nothing about those times, I lived then!" Or demanding to be considered an expert on history of late 20th century Engalnd because you were born in England in the mid-70ies.

When it comes to unique colloquialisms they don't teach in an English book but that are used in everyday speech a native speaker is going to trump you every time. I can't believe you're still acting like you know better than us whether that dialog was okay. You're making yourself look reallllllly stupid.

Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education. I wouldn't ever claim I know my language perfectly, but apparently there are people ready to accept the burden of being all-knowing. Maybe I'll use you for future reference on any questions I have on English grammar, throughout all the variants of English spanning geographically, socio-culturally, and historically, since you think you can be an authority of last resort.

Returning to the game, if we can call it that. Guru3d have released a graphics performance review. I haven't often encounterd such a subjective remark in their reviews as "I was a little surprised to see how well received this game is by critics" :D I guess seeing the mass reaction to the king's new clothes can be ennerving for normal people. Their review is helpful though, as usual with them. Here is the quote in question: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,9.html

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
It does look great. Then again so does Baldur's Gate II. At some point it's money down the drain.
It looks shittier than DA2, because even DA2 had a style. Inquisition is on Oblivion level genericism. And no, I didn't have any presumptions about Inquisition, because I didn't think anything could be worse than DA2. I'm not judging mechanics (since I'm not gonna waste my time even pirating a Dragon Age game past DAO), but graphically, no, it's not good. (And I doubt anything could be worse than DA2's reinforcements dropping out of the sky)

Seriously, Skyrim looks better. And no, I'm not judging based on 2 seconds of a trailer. I'm basing this on something like half an hour of watching gameplay because RK47 spams it to me on Steam.

And having a crosshair when you don't aim is fucking retarded.

Returning to the game, if we can call it that. Guru3d have released a graphics performance review.
I love Guru3d. Have referred to them for so many years. Forum members even recommend the best driver version for a specific graphics card. And I found out how to make SweetFX work with DX10 (yes, that is important, because somehow Multisampling doesn't do jack shit in some modern games and SMAA is a godsend with basically no performance hit).

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Release date: 2011
ezgif-2490231675.gif

mastroego

Arcane
Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education.

This is true.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English, but is there a language in which "And I you" means something when said as a reply to "I look forward to working with you"?

it's a completely valid standard English elided construction of a returned sentiment, yes, usually used in this context, when expressing a sentiment about something you anticipate. the unelided sentence would be "And I [look forward to working with] you." sorry, it's correct. the delivery might've been wrong, but there's no other way to say "And I you" in English than in that context, so I doubt the voiceactor misunderstood what was going on.

source: native speaker, language student or else I'd've been much meaner about you trying to nitpick verbiage in a non-native language. actually, I'm gonna be mean anyway. you're a fucking idiot, it's perfectly correct, maybe complain about something real rather than trying to be a grammar nazi -in a language you are not even apparently fluent in.-

fuck.
You're most probably not a language student. Your species is called a retarded asshole and you inhabit forums where you look for people to troll. And you are wrong, you can't have an ellipsis for a verb that was used one sentence ago.

BTW - and I you. If you didn't understand what I meant by that, I was agreeing with the opinion that you are an idiot who is illiterate in his native language, if indeed English is your native language.

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English, but is there a language in which "And I you" means something when said as a reply to "I look forward to working with you"?

Common and grammatically accurate, actually.

Edit: Ninja'd

Anyway I just killed two dragons on hard mode without using my party at all. Not a tough game I take it.
It would have meant something if it contained "with", like "And I with you". "And I you" means bollocks.

everything you said was wrong so I dunno where to start, kitten

crawlkill

it's better than all the other shit they've put out since KOTOR, I'm not sure what you want if you're a "superfan"
Better than DAO? Because that's their only game worth a damn since BG:TOB, and DAO was just a decent "good for what it is" game.

DAO was pretty shit. combat founded on how many healing potions you happened to have, an interesting political/historical plot that was given second fiddle to the dharkhsphawhn plot because--apparently orcs are more fun? I wouldn't really consider it worthy of mention if not for three of the most charming companion characters ever written in the persons of Shale, Morrigan and Allastair, in that order. Oghren with an honorary mention.

Inquisition achieves no such memorability and charm of companions, but has a broader look at the stupid supernatural conflict than Origins did. my single favorite thing about Origins was that a lot of the conflict was purely historical/political. I like to imagine that Loghain's betrayal was the central plot point at some point in development, then an exec said "BUT IT NEEDS MORE ORCS." Inquisition does a good job of making the supernatural threat seem less petty--mostly by giving it less of a name, really--but has only a very limited mundane conflict present as part of the plot. would still prefer more of a human element, fewer orcs.

seriously though this topic came up because someone claimed to be a "Bioware superfan" but not to have played anything they'd made in the past decade or so, like, I dunno how you can pretend to criticize it when you don't even know the context it comes in

crawlkill

non-native speakers lecturing native speakers on the subtleties of their language, just a normal day on the Codex

being...wrong.

they were wrong.

oh man, asked a few idiots who've never read a book how words can come together into phrases, was right!

it. is. a. perfectly. valid. construction.

I don't care how many morons who've only ever heard English spoken through video games and their high school teachers you asked! you're still wrong! "and I you" is a 100% valid construct! like, I'm trying to imagine the word you think I live in where I -fictionalize- that it's right.

your friends are just idiots, O-asking-P. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry about your friends. I'm so sorry about you. you may want to learn to speak English at some point, and to meet people who can as well.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Why am I so masochist? I went to the Western Approach to do the grey wardens questline, but I keep stumbling with side quests and i just did them. The venatori mini-dungeon was neat (3 cool side quests in 66 hours of play. Really great job, Bioware), but the rest is the same boring filler, and I kept doing it!
Not because it was engaging in any way (the common "just one more side quest" syndrom), but because I'm a stupid completionist, and in this game, this habit is fucking killing me.

I'm amazed how the public reaction I've seen thus far is overwhemingly positive. Serves as a great reminder that with great looks you can get anything in life (not talking only about visuals here, but to be able to give the impression of depth with the content offered -exploration, the stronghold, the war table, different choices...etc- while being terribly hollow in it's mechanics -exploration based in collecting crafting ingredients and fetch quests, a stronghold with only cosmetic elements to offer, a war table that only serves the purpuse of illusion of command, cosmetic choices...-)

crawlkill

>Alistair
>charming

:hmmm:

You didn't like Alastair? Eh, I did. I guess I can understand not liking him, but I'm mostly about dialogue, more than character, and his was mostly pretty good.

I hate Morrigan's character, but I like her dialogue, so. I guess we tend to agree in that way.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education. I wouldn't ever claim I know my language perfectly, but apparently there are people ready to accept the burden of being all-knowing. Maybe I'll use you for future reference on any questions I have on English grammar, throughout all the variants of English spanning geographically, socio-culturally, and historically, since you think you can be an authority of last resort.

Well, I have a masters degree in English and teach English for a living, on top of being a native speaker, so you can probably trust I know what the fuck I'm talking about when I say that dialog was fine. If you want to act like you know better then me though... hey, have at it I guess.

crawlkill

Well, I have a masters degree in English and teach English for a living, so you can probably trust I know what the fuck I'm talking about when I say that dialog was fine. If you want to act like you know better then me though... hey, have at it I guess.

seriously, "and I you" is an unusual but completely valid and recognizable English construct. I'm sorry if the complainer and its random sources are idiots. being wrong about a foreign language is great, if you're asking a question; making powerful assertions about how natives are talking wrong pretty much just makes you look like a hinjybudnir.

that means "dumbass."

no, it isn't a real word.

Azarkon

Arcane
I am now ~30 hours into DAI. I am way past Skyhold, and from the looks of it I'm 2-3 'plot missions' away from the end of the game. Here's my belated impression of what's not changed -

DAI reminds me of all that I fucking hate about MMOs after WoW.

An example of the simple insanity: after a specific plot event, you're given the option of specializing your Inquisitor ie opening one of three new skill trees. In order to do this, however, you have to first perform a quest for your 'trainer.' Now there's all sorts of 'lore' made for why these trainers that were hired to teach you these specializations require you to first do a quest for them, but at the end of the day, it's pretty obvious all of them are hamfisted excuses for introducing an additional quest. That's not, however, the issue.

The issue is the type of quest. Here's a snippet:

This specialization is obtainable through the quest Way of the Necromancer, obtained from Viuus Anaxas:
  • Writing on Necromancer methods (available from either Dorian or the book merchant in Val Royeaux).
  • Three Nevarran Skulls (Found in Storm Coast).
  • 10 Bloodstone (Found in Emerald Grave).
  • Materials for the Jeweled Skull.

Those who've played MMOs know this to be a classic MMO timesink mechanic. Instead of obtaining one skull - because you know, that's logical when you're making one jewelled skull? - you have to obtain three, and on top of that, you need to gather 10 bloodstones for no specific cause except that 10 is a magic number that the designers randomly came up with because it's nice and round. And despite the fact that you're the fucking Inquisitor who commands an entire castle and thousands of soliders, you're not allowed to just send a couple of guys to go and get this crap for you. You have to do it yourself.

It was infuriating back when WoW would tell you to go slay the bandit leader and then append a collect 0/20 bandit bandanas 'just because,' and it's infuriating now in DAI where practically every quest involves getting/visiting/killing multiples of X not because it's logical but because it's necessary to advertise 200+ hours of gameplay, believe it!

Kill/fetch quests are already boring enough without having to repeat them X times, yet developers today, seeing the success of WoW, have come to believe that it isn't a quest unless it's got several 0/X in the tasks list, so that by the time the player's finished with it, he's gotten so sick of wandering around the same areas looking for shit that a replay through the game isn't even thinkable.

DAI is littered with quests of this type, and there are examples a lot worse than what I provided above. The shard quest - holy fuck, astarium quests, requisition 'quests,' the average quest you get at hubs, the 'close X rifts' in every area, all guilty. Don't believe people who tell you that the quest design in DAI improves after a while because it doesn't - you just get used to ignoring them. The only variable is how OCD you are about completing every quest in the game. I pity the player who believes that the best way to play a game is to get 100% completion, for DAI is literally one of the worst games that have ever been made for doing 100% completion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom