Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Diablo169

Arcane
Is it possible to the mod the game? perhaps someone will introduce a NPC respec mod to take care of that issue.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Nice tits on Inquisitor.

Maker's Breath, I thought the screenshot below was just a rare derp expression. She alternates between "disgusted goblin" and "sad goblin" throughout the whole video!

iz4LIBv.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is it possible to the mod the game? perhaps someone will introduce a NPC respec mod to take care of that issue.

Yeah, seems like a backend thing someone could do maybe. To be clear you can respec them, but they all have an advanced class that really pigeonholes them. If you could choose their advanced class I think it would be a lot better.

Prime Junta

Having the crafted items be worth more than
Every time I craft an item I find a better one in the field shortly after. I am very tempted to write-off the whole crafting system.

You must have had way more luck with the random loot and way less luck with the schematics than I have. At this time, three in my group are wearing self-crafted armor (and have been for a quite a few levels), and three are wielding self-crafted weapons, one of which is not just a little but a LOT better than the best comparable one I've found in the field. I've also crafted a whole bunch of upgrades that are better than any I've found in the field or in shops.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"Tried converting Cassandra to DPS but she sucks at it."

No.

Sera with double daggers and Iron Bull with his raver class do MUCH more damage. Varric probably would too, but my main character is an archer who destroys everything. Cassandra isn't as good of a tank as Blackwall either, but she has support abilities he doesn't that makes her a viable tank alternative. A DPS alternative though? Not really.

Hjalmar

Barely Literate
I also dislike the introduction of "required level" for items. You defeat an enemy two times you level but you can't equip shit because your level is too low? Fucked stupid.

Without those limitation there would be no progression. You could easily beat enemies five times your level if you could equip the items that go with it because by level five or so you will have a functioning set of abilities and your raw power will be all but set. Most abilities, including the Champion and the Templar trees, are inconsequential cometics that serve to create an illusion of progression and specialization when really Cassandra tanks just fine at level 2 and could at that point take on a level 20 dragon if she could equip level 20 items. Progression is all about items and without restricting access to them there would be nothing forcing players to backtrack for those rifts and dragons and then what was even the point of putting high level rifts in low level areas?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I also dislike the introduction of "required level" for items. You defeat an enemy two times you level but you can't equip shit because your level is too low? Fucked stupid.

Without those limitation there would be no progression. You could easily beat enemies five times your level if you could equip the items that go with it because by level five or so you will have a functioning set of abilities and your raw power will be all but set. Most abilities, including the Champion and the Templar trees, are inconsequential cometics that serve to create an illusion of progression and specialization when really Cassandra tanks just fine at level 2 and could at that point take on a level 20 dragon if she could equip level 20 items. Progression is all about items and without restricting access to them there would be nothing forcing players to backtrack for those rifts and dragons and then what was even the point of putting high level rifts in low level areas?

:nocountryforshitposters:

Ask yourself, where would a level 2 go to get level 20 items?
Stop using extreme examples to prove a point.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Which in itself is shit design.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm definitly not having fun anymore with this game. Actually, I'm sick of it. i wanted to specialize and be a rift mage, so I had to do the Exalted Plains. i realized completing this zone, that I can't endure any more fetch quest. Since NWN I don't remember an RPG so fucking tiresome and repetitive .

I will rush through the main quest, because I like the lore and I want to know in which state will be the world once the main story is finished. Inquisition might be more polished and well put togheter than DA2, but is definetly -for me at least- less enjoyable. And DA2 is crap to start with.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is precisely the reason why I just settled for watching RK47's LP. When combat is shovelware-tier and exploration is MMO-like, and you just want to witness the trademark Bioware writing, watching an LP is the only solution.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I just finished the game. Have to say, I am rather disappointed with the ending - very underwhelming and evidently rushed. Still I liked the plot-twist at the very end.

Solas turning out to be far more than expected. He was a bro above bros, and that he was with me to see through the events in the shadows, was rather unnerving. But now, I wonder, what's the deal with Flemeth and him. Is she gone for good? Did Solas backstab her or was it part of the plan? Meh, they will probably resolve it in some crappy DLC.

Overall, it would have been a great title if not for attrocious controls and resulting poor encounter design. Worth playing when it reaches $20.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

The problem lies with specializations being tied to certain characters - they have a single unique tree which is good for one thing and nothing else. BTW, you can easily respec all charcters with a cheap item you buy in your stronghold.

Avellion

Erudite
It's not like money serves much of a purpose, anyway. If you pick up most loot and vendor it you will have a ton of money constantly, and the only thing to spend it on is a few cases of static vendor loot, much of which isn't very good anyway.

What happened to Bioware and loot? BG 1 & 2 had fantastic examples of vendor loot that you scrounged up coin to get because they were amazing, but I can't remember the last Bioware game after that where loot didn't feel pointless and arbitrary. Maybe NWN1? It had some okay pieces of vendor loot, but as I remember it had the same problem where random drops were always equivelant or much better.

I miss "unique" or uncommon effects on items. Now every RPG loves this model where items just change basic numbers that are affected by everything else, nothing as appealing as "increase casting speed by 500%" (robe of vecna).

I would assume it had to do with the following.

• Balancing DPS is a lot easier than balancing, all those effects BG had.
  • The average joe is more interested in seeing his numbers go up, than finding gear with the potential to completely change your playstyle.
  • Banal upgrades require a lot less assets to, just take the old weapon... maybe give it a new model, and just up the stats. Instead of having to possibly code a new effect.
  • People want to see their numbers go up, fast and quite a bit. Any loot with special effects in a game where the power of your items increases at a high rate will get obsolte too fast anyway for it to be worth it. This is probably why I have seen some jRPGs resort to stickign interesting effects to the accessory slot.
  • As games did dumb down their itemization. Players were too silent. Had players taken a bigger stance against the dumbing down, we may have seen a different story. Look at what happened with Diablo 3. The itemization sucked more than Prosper's attempts at doing something good at launch, but due to a heavy backlash from the community. Blizzard admitted they fucked up, and improved it significantly.
  • Perks have taken over the role these items once had. Albeit, poorly.
Itemization's issues is not just with bland item effects. Where exactly did the items with trade-offs or stat penalties go? I was extremely happy when I found a weapon in a game (released in 2012), which made me very mobile and set everything I hit ablaze, but was offset by the fact that the weapon had terrible range and I took double damage from enemy attacks.

Of course, the biggest insult is the whole requirement system, instead of equipment requiring stats, they now just require a level. Did really well and killed a dragon with your level 5 party? Too bad, you cant enjoy the loot until you are level 14. Robbing you of your satisfaction of putting on the armor after you killed the dragon, now you ahave to wait for the artificial limitaiton to let you equip the armor. I have seen players defend this crap too, especially more casual gamers. Of course, with todays level scaling in RPGs, it is not all too often to run into items you cannot yet equip.

Sadly we are not the target audience for these AAA RPGs and it shows. It is not just BioWare with shit itemization, but everyone else does it as well.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm definitly not having fun anymore with this game. Actually, I'm sick of it. i wanted to specialize and be a rift mage, so I had to do the Exalted Plains. i realized completing this zone, that I can't endure any more fetch quest. Since NWN I don't remember an RPG so fucking tiresome and repetitive .

I will rush through the main quest, because I like the lore and I want to know in which state will be the world once the main story is finished. Inquisition might be more polished and well put togheter than DA2, but is definetly -for me at least- less enjoyable. And DA2 is crap to start with.
Having finished the game earlier today, I can vouch that you can skip zones entirely, and just push on with the main quest with no penalty. None of the content that you do or don't do in the mmo zones is even referenced in any meaningful way elsewhere, if ever. They exist primarily to provide you with the power to unlock the main quests, and I regret completing all the zones for no real reason, given that the quality of the content within them is amongst the most tedious I've encountered recently.

All the Power, Influence and Allies ( the wardens, the elves, the Templars, orlais nobility, etc.) that you waste time accumulating from the terribly designed zones has no bearing on how the main quest plays and concludes. All the judgements you pass over the course of the game have no long term consequence, even in the ending slides, giving even less of a reason to complete the main quest within each region. There's not even the typical illusion of choice -- the game entirely ignores the political and military standings of your inquisitor, making the whole exercise seem for naught.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom