Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
On a more general note (i.e. not directing this at darkpatriot): this thread should have more discussion on core gameplay mechanics. Talk numbers and spreadsheets.

DOqLXrt.gif

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
On a more general note (i.e. not directing this at darkpatriot): this thread should have more discussion on core gameplay mechanics. Talk numbers and spreadsheets.

DOqLXrt.gif

Lol, this is a Bioware , Dragon Age thread. NPC humpers only. The real RPG talk threads are anywhere but here.

EDIT.. Redundant post is redundant. I though that gif was screaming, not crying with laughter.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
On a more general note (i.e. not directing this at darkpatriot): this thread should have more discussion on core gameplay mechanics and systems and less writing-related drivel. Look, the 'lol fag buttsex' jokes are stale, "Gayder" jokes are stale. Obsessing over Sera makes you look very much in tune with Bioware core audience. Lol, ugly lesbo elf with mangled English. Get over it. Talk numbers and spreadsheets.
What is there to talk about?

You spam your abilities ad nauseam. There, DAI gameplay in all it's complexity. And I'm not even trying to be "edgy" here, that's all there is. You use one character to tank and with the ocasional use of the guard and barrier abilities, you're main concern will be mantaining the awesome button pressed.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Core vydia gahme mechanics 2014 goty. I especially love the part where the buffalo roaming around are tougher than the trash mobs :lol:.

Le mighty Cisquisitor with glowing time control mcguffin hand can(not) defeat the wild buffalo outside conveniently-placed-giant-castle-which-no-one-knew-about.

nikolokolus

Arcane
RK47 I really wish I could muster the strength to keep watching your videos. You're doing a helluva job and the Lord's work, but we have to break up. My sanity is on the line at this point.

Azarkon

Arcane
One disappointing thing is I haven't found any good end game equipment worth buying. Buying gear is only useful at the start of the game, after that found or crafted stuff is all better than stuff you can afford. They should have some really powerful expensive items that can be bought.

I believe that's a problem with their MMO-like gear system. Now, I haven't played DA:I and won't be playing it for quite a while (it requires a CPU able to handle four threads which my 2-core is not able to do and I'm not upgrading just because botched next-gen console ports are about to steamroll PC gaming Bioware wants me to) - but I've seen a similar problem in DA:O. That one also had an MMO-ish loot & gear system. Some vendors carried incredibly expensive end-game stuff but once you actually reached mid-late game and was able to afford it you found that it was already redundant (or, say, was Tier 5 while you were already at Tier 6 in terms of stuff you regularly found and whatever unique features the item had were just about to become overshadowed by falling behind in basic functionality like DPS/AR).

On a more general note (i.e. not directing this at darkpatriot): this thread should have more discussion on core gameplay mechanics and systems and less writing-related drivel. Look, the 'lol fag buttsex' jokes are stale, "Gayder" jokes are stale. Obsessing over Sera makes you look very much in tune with Bioware core audience. Lol, ugly lesbo elf with mangled English. Get over it. Talk numbers and spreadsheets.

The first 30-40 pages after the game was released were about gameplay mechanics, specifically how terrible the combat system was. Discussion ended because nobody came out to defend it - it's unanimously agreed that it's bad, so what's there to talk about?

RPGMaster

Savant
Sera and Cole are results of BioWare writers having read the tip from their writer's guide "Give each of your characters unique voices" but not knowing how to do so without using some stupid speech pattern. It's a frequently used crutch for hack writers.

UglyBastard

Arcane
I believe that's a problem with their MMO-like gear system. Now, I haven't played DA:I and won't be playing it for quite a while (it requires a CPU able to handle four threads which my 2-core is not able to do and I'm not upgrading just because botched next-gen console ports are about to steamroll PC gaming Bioware wants me to) - but I've seen a similar problem in DA:O. That one also had an MMO-ish loot & gear system. Some vendors carried incredibly expensive end-game stuff but once you actually reached mid-late game and was able to afford it you found that it was already redundant (or, say, was Tier 5 while you were already at Tier 6 in terms of stuff you regularly found and whatever unique features the item had were just about to become overshadowed by falling behind in basic functionality like DPS/AR).

The part about DA:O is not true. There were several "best in slot" items you could get from vendors. For example the best belt in the game from the Mage tower, the best Arcane Warrior armor from Wade's shop in Denerim, a very good ring from the dwarf merchant in the camp and the best dagger in Orzammar. Also some fun sidegrade stuff like the 50% magic resist templar armor. They were very expensive (some over 100 gold) but worth it and you couldn't afford them until later in the game (it was always a huge investment).

So it was actually pretty well done.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dwarf Templars 2 Hander in DAO are OP since they can easily get 100% Mag. Immunity

Multi-headed Cow

wut. Crotch rot isn't hate speech.

Edit: DA3 is the deal of the day at Amazon at $45. Buy up, boys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education. I wouldn't ever claim I know my language perfectly, but apparently there are people ready to accept the burden of being all-knowing. Maybe I'll use you for future reference on any questions I have on English grammar, throughout all the variants of English spanning geographically, socio-culturally, and historically, since you think you can be an authority of last resort.

There's nothing worse than a dumbfuck who can't admit that he's wrong. Kill yourself.

Delterius

Arcane
I just finished the Dorian companion quest.

Although the character arc for Dorian is pretty much a modern day concern with a magic bandaid, which is ridiculous, Dorian is a really strong character. I like him a lot, probably one of Bioware strongest characters for me. Consider me impressed by this (not much else to be impressed by the game... I take any victory I can get)
I even liked Dorian up until that point. My fears that he was too easy a character were slightly abated by the fact he has a positive opinion of slavery. Problem with that arc is that it simply doesn't make sense.

BioWare went out of its way to make sure we knew that Thedas as a whole is a world in which sexuality barely matters. Its something that some countries are only merely prudish about. Qunari, orlesian, marcher and fereldan - everyone really - doesn't care wether you are gay or not. Hard to swallow but some people like that. To drive that point home, you see a guy asking Cullen out in the middle of the orlesian court quest.

And now somehow this is an issue in Tevinter? They were just desperate to insert a plot analogous to those Homes that americans send their problematic children and broke their own lore.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Re the characters, I like Solas, Blackwall, and Dorian, Cassandra is OK (whoever voiced her did a nice job which makes a big difference in this type of thing), Vivienne is an unimaginative stereotype, Varric is kind of meh, like the writers couldn't decide whether he's supposed to be a Sancho Panza type sidekick or something more serious, Iron Bull and Sera are hilariously bad, and I haven't hung out with Cole enough to have an opinion.

Also, Giselle. They absolutely need to do an Allo Allo remake just so she can play the lady from the Résistance so we can all listen very carefully, she will say it only once. Which is doubly funny because she's a "serious" key character with some pivotal scenes and a very dignified elderly look to her. The effect is much like Mr. Bean attempting Hamlet. Yet another of those "can't believe nobody said anything about this" moments.

And man are they talky and needy. Even making snide remarks if I only got around to talking with them... later in the game. But hey, BioWare.

Deleted member 7219

Re the characters, I like Solas, Blackwall, and Dorian, Cassandra is OK (whoever voiced her did a nice job which makes a big difference in this type of thing), Vivienne is an unimaginative stereotype, Varric is kind of meh, like the writers couldn't decide whether he's supposed to be a Sancho Panza type sidekick or something more serious, Iron Bull and Sera are hilariously bad, and I haven't hung out with Cole enough to have an opinion.

Also, Giselle. They absolutely need to do an Allo Allo remake just so she can play the lady from the Résistance so we can all listen very carefully, she will say it only once. Which is doubly funny because she's a "serious" key character with some pivotal scenes and a very dignified elderly look to her. The effect is much like Mr. Bean attempting Hamlet. Yet another of those "can't believe nobody said anything about this" moments.

And man are they talky and needy. Even making snide remarks if I only got around to talking with them... later in the game. But hey, BioWare.

I can't remember any of them approaching me trying to talk my ear off. It was me who approached them. Not sure how you can say they are talky and needy.

I get the feeling that if I hadn't spoken to Solas or Blackwall at all, I wouldn't have even seen them except for taking them out as party members.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom