Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Monocause

Arcane
I believe that's a problem with their MMO-like gear system. Now, I haven't played DA:I and won't be playing it for quite a while (it requires a CPU able to handle four threads which my 2-core is not able to do and I'm not upgrading just because botched next-gen console ports are about to steamroll PC gaming Bioware wants me to) - but I've seen a similar problem in DA:O. That one also had an MMO-ish loot & gear system. Some vendors carried incredibly expensive end-game stuff but once you actually reached mid-late game and was able to afford it you found that it was already redundant (or, say, was Tier 5 while you were already at Tier 6 in terms of stuff you regularly found and whatever unique features the item had were just about to become overshadowed by falling behind in basic functionality like DPS/AR).

The part about DA:O is not true. There were several "best in slot" items you could get from vendors. For example the best belt in the game from the Mage tower, the best Arcane Warrior armor from Wade's shop in Denerim, a very good ring from the dwarf merchant in the camp and the best dagger in Orzammar. Also some fun sidegrade stuff like the 50% magic resist templar armor. They were very expensive (some over 100 gold) but worth it and you couldn't afford them until later in the game (it was always a huge investment).

So it was actually pretty well done.

Hm, was it? Are you talking about vanilla gear here or have the items you mentioned been added in the DLCs? Might be that memory fails me but I specifically remember being disappointed that the "ooh, shiny awesome gear" became almost inadequate by the time i could actually afford it.

Might be giving Origins a 2nd spin sometime Dec so will check it out. I stand corrected in advance though.

Azarkon said:
The first 30-40 pages after the game was released were about gameplay mechanics, specifically how terrible the combat system was. Discussion ended because nobody came out to defend it - it's unanimously agreed that it's bad, so what's there to talk about?

I haven't read the entire thread but I've been taking a look at a number of pages and it seems like most of the thread was dedicated to discussing different kinds of relationships and intercourse (with a special focus on all things gay) and how poor the writing allegedly is. If there were indepth posts about the combat system or the character development system that go bit farther than saying "it's shit, you just press buttons" - i must've missed them.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hm, was it? Are you talking about vanilla gear here or have the items you mentioned been added in the DLCs? Might be that memory fails me but I specifically remember being disappointed that the "ooh, shiny awesome gear" became almost inadequate by the time i could actually afford it.

You might be thinking of DA2. I don't remember this being an issue in DA:O and I'm a big itemisation fag, but I do clearly remember this being a major problem with DA2.

I haven't read the entire thread but I've been taking a look at a number of pages and it seems like most of the thread was dedicated to discussing different kinds of relationships and intercourse (with a special focus on all things gay) and how poor the writing allegedly is. If there were indepth posts about the combat system or the character development system that go bit farther than saying "it's shit, you just press buttons" - i must've missed them.

Well I've not contributed to any of the sex topics and I've posted a lot about itemisation, loot and combat and had some "quality" conversations, so you're probably not going far enough back. Having just one thread for a newly released AAA game is going to jumble up all kinds of stuff and the pages can zip by quite quickly on even retarded topics like "And I you"...

Delterius

Arcane

Might be giving Origins a 2nd spin sometime Dec so will check it out. I stand corrected in advance though.
On the contrary. DLC items from things like Stone Prisoner and Return to Ostagar often outclassed the top vendor items from vanilla DA:O. But even that depends on the time you got them since they scaled to your level.

Deleted member 7219

The character development/skills/levelling up, whatever you want to call it, in Dragon Age: Inquisition is an absolute disgrace.

They've Mass Effect-ised it, but the problem is Mass Effect was open about being an action game with RPG elements. Inquisition tries to be an RPG, but it isn't any more. You can basically buy a new skill with each level, and sometimes you find amulets to give you more skill points. Forget about upgrading your attributes - attributes get automatically increased when you buy certain skills. One of the best things about DA and DA2's character systems is now gone.

I also miss DA1's other skills, where you can put points into herbalism or certain conversation skills. I don't think that made it into DA2 but I expected it to make a comeback in DA:I. No. Again, it's been Mass Effect-ised. You can craft anything provided you have the materials and schematics, and all conversation options are open.

Deleted member 7219

On the contrary. DLC items from things like Stone Prisoner and Return to Ostagar often outclassed the top vendor items from vanilla DA:O. But even that depends on the time you got them since they scaled to your level.

Yep, you never have to replace the DLC items from Stone Prisoner, Warden's Keep or Return to Ostagar. I didn't notice the level scaling so much and always did them quite early in my playthroughs (well, Stone Prisoner particularly because of Shale), and the items last for pretty much the whole game. You can also put good runes in them to upgrade them even more.

UglyBastard

Arcane

Yeah, it was all vanilla gear, the DLC gear has the tendency of being thrown at you the cheapest way possible.

Some examples:
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Evon_the_Great's_Mail
Best Arcane Warrior armor in the game. Can be worm as chestpiece of the dragon set and still get the bonus, is used to offset Shimmering Shield mana drain and has very good armor rating.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Andruil's_Blessing
Best belt in the game, only gets a sidegrade in the last, post Awakening DLC ("improves Blood Magic" belt)

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/The_Rose's_Thorn
Best dagger in the game, tied for most expensive item in the game.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_of_the_Magister_Lord
Best staff in the game, also tied for most expensive item.

Could easily get more examples. The itemization of DA:O is very well done and also has some depth, e.g. when you scramble to get enough mana regen as Arcane Warrior to leave your shimmering shield permanent on while also maintaining strong armor with minumum fatigue.
Some of the DLC gear is actually pretty nice for better equipment setup options and can sometimes be worked into builds very well. The biggest problem with the DLC stuff is, that it is very power creeped when compared to the vanilla game and gets literally thrown at you (you start the game with some best in slot endgame gear in your inventory). I'm a sucker for loot but it would have been way better, if those top tier DLC items were hidden behind optional hard bosses to make them satisfying to aquire. So they just ruin the pacing and make the game a joke. :(

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The character development/skills/levelling up, whatever you want to call it, in Dragon Age: Inquisition is an absolute disgrace.

They've Mass Effect-ised it, but the problem is Mass Effect was open about being an action game with RPG elements. Inquisition tries to be an RPG, but it isn't any more. You can basically buy a new skill with each level, and sometimes you find amulets to give you more skill points. Forget about upgrading your attributes - attributes get automatically increased when you buy certain skills. One of the best things about DA and DA2's character systems is now gone.

I also miss DA1's other skills, where you can put points into herbalism or certain conversation skills. I don't think that made it into DA2 but I expected it to make a comeback in DA:I. No. Again, it's been Mass Effect-ised. You can craft anything provided you have the materials and schematics, and all conversation options are open.

Knight Enchanter is just retardo. :lol:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education. I wouldn't ever claim I know my language perfectly, but apparently there are people ready to accept the burden of being all-knowing. Maybe I'll use you for future reference on any questions I have on English grammar, throughout all the variants of English spanning geographically, socio-culturally, and historically, since you think you can be an authority of last resort.

Well, I have a masters degree in English and teach English for a living, on top of being a native speaker, so you can probably trust I know what the fuck I'm talking about when I say that dialog was fine. If you want to act like you know better then me though... hey, have at it I guess.
Yeah, I can tell you teach English by your rich vocabulary. Using "fuck" here and there makes you all the more convincing. Ok, as I said, you'll be my go-to source for any questions I may have. Nice to have access to a philologist.

seriously, "and I you" is an unusual but completely valid and recognizable English construct. I'm sorry if the complainer and its random sources are idiots. being wrong about a foreign language is great, if you're asking a question; making powerful assertions about how natives are talking wrong pretty much just makes you look like a hinjybudnir.

that means "dumbass."

no, it isn't a real word.
Ok, powerful assertion withdrawn. The expression can be understood, but you wouldn't say it's part of the norm, right?

Back to topic. Does this qualify as good sales numbers: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252...orldwide-first-week-ps4-xbox-one-x360-ps3-pc/

Delterius

Arcane

Knight Enchanter is just retardo. :lol:
Knight Enchanter is so retarded that it actually goes full circle. Once you become an immortal demigod you have effectively skipped the rest of the game's combat.

What? Something respawned on top of Solas and took half his health away? Fuck that I don't need anyone anyways.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
AwesomeButton Oh, for the love of Odin, shut up about that already. I created the English language in 453, and I say that "And I you" works. There you have it, Word of God.

I also started your bloodline by seducing that peasant girl all those centuries ago. So be mindful of your tongue, boy. I made you - I can just as easily unmake you.

set

Arcane
Actually, I asked native speakers, 4 of them answered, they are people from different age groups, and there wasn't a consensus. The opinions were 2 on 2, whether it's "acceptable" and "what a native speaker would say" or not. I should ask someone at university. And I'll reiterate that being a native speaker doesn't mean you know your language well. Try explaining to a foreigner why something is like it is, and you'll quickly see how little you know about your own grammar. This applies to native speakers of any language who haven't had special pedagogical or linguistic education. I wouldn't ever claim I know my language perfectly, but apparently there are people ready to accept the burden of being all-knowing. Maybe I'll use you for future reference on any questions I have on English grammar, throughout all the variants of English spanning geographically, socio-culturally, and historically, since you think you can be an authority of last resort.

Well, I have a masters degree in English and teach English for a living, on top of being a native speaker, so you can probably trust I know what the fuck I'm talking about when I say that dialog was fine. If you want to act like you know better then me though... hey, have at it I guess.
Yeah, I can tell you teach English by your rich vocabulary. Using "fuck" here and there makes you all the more convincing. Ok, as I said, you'll be my go-to source for any questions I may have. Nice to have access to a philologist.

seriously, "and I you" is an unusual but completely valid and recognizable English construct. I'm sorry if the complainer and its random sources are idiots. being wrong about a foreign language is great, if you're asking a question; making powerful assertions about how natives are talking wrong pretty much just makes you look like a hinjybudnir.

that means "dumbass."

Ok, powerful assertion withdrawn. The expression can be understood, but you wouldn't say it's part of the norm, right?

Back to topic. Does this qualify as good sales numbers: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/252...orldwide-first-week-ps4-xbox-one-x360-ps3-pc/

You're all idiots for arguing about this. "And I you" is not common in "everyday American English" but neither is the correct use of the subjunctive. Would you say the subjunctive is not standard English?

"And I you" is a construct I have seen in more literary and media works - DA3 did not invent it. The end. I bet it's a phrase that was used in Shakespeare at least once.

dryan

Arcane

that means "dumbass."

You're all idiots for arguing about this. "And I you" is not common in "everyday American English" but neither is the correct use of the subjunctive. Would you say the subjunctive is not standard English?

"And I you" is a construct I have seen in more literary and media works - DA3 did not invent it. The end. I bet it's a phrase that was used in Shakespeare at least once.
Also in the popular American sitcom Cheers.

Source: Nostalgic sitcom fan who just watched that episode yesterday.

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The game sold the most units for the PlayStation 4 with sales of 466,347 units.
The Xbox One version sold 229,337 units.
The PC version sold 176,731 units.
DRM plagued version sold 176.731 units. Main fans were on PS4, which didn't need Denuvo.

BTW how does it look like in comparison to first 3 days of DA:O sales?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

1,1M in three days would be good, if the numbers were real.

The game sold the most units for the PlayStation 4 with sales of 466,347 units.
The Xbox One version sold 229,337 units.
The PC version sold 176,731 units.
DRM plagued version sold 176.731 units. Main fans were on PS4, which didn't need Denuvo.

BTW how does it look like in comparison to first 3 days of DA:O sales?

test

1,1M in three days would be good, if the numbers were real.

Those are not sales numbers. They are magically made up numbers.

I wouldn't expect to go twice as good as DAO, but that's what they say.

Deleted member 7219

I'm about to start my 2nd playthrough where I will try to piss off/kill as many of the companion NPCs as I can.

I will also try to avoid any and all sidequests and just stick to the main story/other good stuff. If successful I'll report back and let any Codexers who are still sitting on the fence know whether the game is worth buying or not.

The regions were so fucking awful, I want to see if my view of the game improves by skipping them completely.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I'm about to start my 2nd playthrough where I will try to piss off/kill as many of the companion NPCs as I can.

I will also try to avoid any and all sidequests and just stick to the main story/other good stuff. If successful I'll report back and let any Codexers who are still sitting on the fence know whether the game is worth buying or not.

The regions were so fucking awful, I want to see if my view of the game improves by skipping them completely.
The most irritating I've seen yet is Fallow Mire. Whoever came up with the idea that walking into the water should respawn enemies and this would be fun, should be forced to play nothing but Fallow Mire for 5 hours.

EDIT: I changed my mind. Forcing him to play nothing but Fallow Mire for 5 hours was very bad thing to suggest. I think he should play nothing but Fallow Mire for 5 hours, with mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Huh? Fallow Mire wasn't that bad. I was in and out of that place in less than half an hour. It was mildly annoying, but dispatching those zombies wasn't a problem even when I was two levels lower than them.

Worst case scenario just run through the map and tell your companions to disengage.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey guise soon we will play the game seven times to really see if its banal, shit, boring:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/report-denuvo-drm-system-has-been-cracked/
Report – Denuvo DRM System Has Been Cracked
3DM has reported that it’s been able to crack the latest DRM system, Denuvo, that was used in FIFA 15, Lords of the Fallen and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Denuvo has been a great DRM system as it was able to protect FIFA 15 for two months and Lords of the Fallen for one whole month.

And since Dragon Age: Inquisition – Bioware’s highly anticipated RPG – has been released with this DRM, the scene groups decided to prove that everything can – eventually – be ‘unlocked.’

As always, we do not allow links so there is really no reason sharing them – your comments will be deleted.

Denuvo reminded us of Starforce; another DRM system that took crackers a while to crack.

Some users also claimed that Denuvo was responsible for damaging their SSDs, while others claimed that Lords of the Fallen’s performance issues were due to this particular DRM system.

UglyBastard

Arcane
Great news, RK47's videos made me feel an itch to try it. Thank god they cracked it before I was able to do something stupid!

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Huh? Fallow Mire wasn't that bad. I was in and out of that place in less than half an hour. It was mildly annoying, but dispatching those zombies wasn't a problem even when I was two levels lower than them.

Worst case scenario just run through the map and tell your companions to disengage.
it's still easily the worst-designed and most annoying area in the entire game.

AwesomeButton

Patron

You got off easy then. I thought I want to look everywhere because I wasn't planning on returning there ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom