Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Is there any point in doing the money missions? I don't buy things, only keep selling stuff and money (for me as a player) is not an issue, but I don't know if the Inquistion itself doesn't need it regularly...
There is a shop in Orlais where a weird guy sells the right to open a chest for 10 000 gold. I'm curious to see what's inside. Other than that, I don't think there is any purpose to those missions, they occupy one of your advisors and bring relatively little money.
it opens quest to obtain (no story spoilers)
nugs mounts

kris

Arcane
Dragon Age Origins seems like it was trying to be a weak knock-off of lotr/warhammer fantasy.

This game seems like it's Bioware's weak effort in aping game of thrones, from what little I've seen.

Not that they'd ever adjust the formula of course, because, as DA2 showed, that results in mere retardation.

Origins was the GoT aping. Wardens were nightwatch that fought the "undead" army. Political intrigue in the same vein.

DA3 is just the normal stop the evil one and you are the chosen one. Story and elements have little to do with GoT.

Both have taken a lot of the aesthetics from LOTR movies.
Both DAO and DAI use the same plot structure. A great evil that threatens to destroy the world in a full scale war, while the world is inmerse in political intrigues that makes more difficult to unite people against the common enemy.
It tries to be Lord of the Rings with Game of Thrones vibes in the backround in both games

But DAO is almost exactly the same as GoT. It is not "the evil one". It is an relentless undead army that pours forward, but the lords of the land don't really do anything about it.

While in DAI it is an evil one and his followers, he want to become God and rule over it all. It is the classic Fantasy super-evil that is not present in GoT. AFAIK.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dragon Age Origins seems like it was trying to be a weak knock-off of lotr/warhammer fantasy.

This game seems like it's Bioware's weak effort in aping game of thrones, from what little I've seen.

Not that they'd ever adjust the formula of course, because, as DA2 showed, that results in mere retardation.

Origins was the GoT aping. Wardens were nightwatch that fought the "undead" army. Political intrigue in the same vein.

DA3 is just the normal stop the evil one and you are the chosen one. Story and elements have little to do with GoT.

Both have taken a lot of the aesthetics from LOTR movies.
Both DAO and DAI use the same plot structure. A great evil that threatens to destroy the world in a full scale war, while the world is inmerse in political intrigues that makes more difficult to unite people against the common enemy.
It tries to be Lord of the Rings with Game of Thrones vibes in the backround in both games

But DAO is almost exactly the same as GoT. It is not "the evil one". It is an relentless undead army that pours forward, but the lords of the land don't really do anything about it.

While in DAI it is an evil one and his followers, he want to become God and rule over it all. It is the classic Fantasy super-evil that is not present in GoT. AFAIK.
You maybe right, but it just doesn't feel very GoT to me. It's too bombastic. Besides, we almost know nothing about the Others 5 books into the series, so I kinda assumed you were just mentioning the parallelism with the grey wardens-night's watch in that regard. If someone wants to try to be like GoT, they copy the political intrigues, which is what made the books/show popular.

I admit you have a point, though.

Knut

Educated
finished the game few days ago. now that the impressions have settled, i can say i enjoyed this game. yes, the combat is not that good, the war table is cute but utterly meaningless (if at least there was influence penalty and options to fail), the trading system is laughable and side quest are mostly inadequate etc. the main quest is also too short and last part is rushed (with few very cheesy-cringe worthy moments- choir singing especially).
on the other hand i never play MMO-s and i find the majority of games have tedious side quests so there's that.

so, this was overall still better and more engaging than celebrated DOS, that ironically more stereotypical in narrative department and only had good combat going for it. in the end this confirms i'm a storyfag, i don't care for an rpg without story, plenty of other games to satisfy ludus only.

to be honest, very few games can be considered artistic achievement and this is not one of them- it should be enjoyed as an AAA- title that panders to the inner hero fantasy everyone has, just like majority of hollywood for example. in that regard it is entertaning and excellent at times, better than dull origins or da2.

codex is just too proud too put credit where credit is due, and i hope this game is massively successful so i always have a fresh thread to return to, to listen the delicious crying of butthurt codex cisquisitors.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Dragon Age: Inquisition - GOTY for a reason.

DVezw0j.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
finished the game few days ago. now that the impressions have settled, i can say i enjoyed this game. yes, the combat is not that good, the war table is cute but utterly meaningless (if at least there was influence penalty and options to fail), the trading system is laughable and side quest are mostly inadequate etc. the main quest is also too short and last part is rushed (with few very cheesy-cringe worthy moments- choir singing especially).
on the other hand i never play MMO-s and i find the majority of games have tedious side quests so there's that.

so, this was overall still better and more engaging than celebrated DOS, that ironically more stereotypical in narrative department and only had good combat going for it. in the end this confirms i'm a storyfag, i don't care for an rpg without story, plenty of other games to satisfy ludus only.

to be honest, very few games can be considered artistic achievement and this is not one of them- it should be enjoyed as an AAA- title that panders to the inner hero fantasy everyone has, just like majority of hollywood for example. in that regard it is entertaning and excellent at times, better than dull origins or da2.

codex is just too proud too put credit where credit is due, and i hope this game is massively successful so i always have a fresh thread to return to, to listen the delicious crying of butthurt codex cisquisitors.

Oh, you're one of them.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012

Indeed. You might even call it the most intoxicating fantasy of all.

Azarkon

Arcane
You maybe right, but it just doesn't feel very GoT to me. It's too bombastic. Besides, we almost know nothing about the Others 5 books into the series, so I kinda assumed you were just mentioning the parallelism with the grey wardens-night's watch in that regard. If someone wants to try to be like GoT, they copy the political intrigues, which is what made the books/show popular.

I admit you have a point, though.

DAO was to GoT what ME was to Babylon 5.

That is to say, both franchises were set in Ye Olde Europe with dragons and undead, but one was executed by a master of storytelling, while the other was, well, not.

RK47

Patron
The fuck kind of photoshopped bullshit is that.

It's Bioware's attempt to presenting the disturbing nature of the Fade to the players.
All it did is made me roll my eyes a bit, and then cringe when the party remarked 'How odd.' over a dining table stuck on the wall.
The realization of the Fade content being absolute shit was pretty sad. It was somehow expected.
It had nothing but meaningless flashbacks (answers to questions that weren't really asked), trash combat that we've seen countless of times outside the Fade (demons, green shit, spiders), and fetch quests (spirit X wants Y, read codex entry, return for free STAT UP).

The Box Sequence puzzle probably was the cherry on top of the shit pudding.
Here you are in the Fade, are you reaadddy to open a gift box by lighting the stove in the correct sequence?!!!

Last night's card game session with gang was enough to cap off a miserable night of 'more shit content'
It's one of moments where Bioware thinks they're rewarding the player with more 'team-building' exercise, except it felt so forced and soul-less.
Hell, even a drink with Dr. Chakwas is more memorable in Mass Effect 2 than this. Everyone is just reading off cue cards.

Turjan

Arcane
The Box Sequence puzzle probably was the cherry on top of the shit pudding.
Here you are in the Fade, are you reaadddy to open a gift box by lighting the stove in the correct sequence?!!!
I also liked those tombstones with the summary for the terminally dumb who didn't understand the character exchanges with the nightmare demon.
Last night's card game session with gang was enough to cap off a miserable night of 'more shit content'
It's one of moments where Bioware thinks they're rewarding the player with more 'team-building' exercise, except it felt so forced and soul-less.
It's nice how they try to emulate modern corporate culture. It's probably their own.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The fuck kind of photoshopped bullshit is that.

It's Bioware's attempt to presenting the disturbing nature of the Fade to the players.
All it did is made me roll my eyes a bit, and then cringe when the party remarked 'How odd.' over a dining table
The realization of the Fade content being absolute shit was pretty sad. It was somehow expected.
There has not been a single instance of Fade level which was not shit in the history of the DA franchise - why were you surprised exactly?

RK47

Patron
There has not been a single instance of Fade level which was not shit in the history of the DA franchise - why were you surprised exactly?

The Fade in DA:O wasn't complete shit the first time around. It was a nice change of pace over the usual 'different levels, same old corridor monsters.'
You walk in there, not knowing what to expect and was presented with a different rules of exploration (turn to mouse to explore mousehole) unlock new move sets (giant form, mage form) to win battles, free each of your tormented companions from the demon's influence.

Sure, on subsequent playthroughs you get sick of it, but at least the first time was interesting enough that I wanted to push on cause I'm motivated to see what's in there, not because I can't wait to get the fuck out ASAP like in DA:I.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No, the first time it was full of terrible trial and error parts and "search for the correct transformation" puzzles. It was too long.

RK47

Patron
No, the first time it was full of terrible trial and error parts and "search for the correct transformation" puzzles. It was too long.

It's a lot better than Dragon Age Inqusition's take on it.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Btw, I'm now certain beyond any doubt that this game was written by illiterates, who probably even got paid good money for writing the shit they wrote. After "and I you", another example. Banter speech by Vivienne while exploring the Storm Coast:
"My darling Bastien has a house on the coast. Not this of course. A decent one."
A decent one what? Not this what? These people can't even express their thoughts coherently in written form, who let them write games?

I get that you're autistic and have no sense of context but for your sake I genuinely hope you one day learn to be less of a cunt. Life must be hard when you're this socially stunted.

Malpercio

Arcane
Eh, I gotta be honest, I didn't see what was wrong with the Fade sequence in this. It was just "proceed ahead, kill enemies and maybe pick up optional items if you feel like". It wasn't a good level and kinda boring, but mostly inoffensive. Short too. Takes like what, 10 minutes?

DAO sequence... I had to remove it from my mind.

RK47

Patron
Eh, I gotta be honest, I didn't see what was wrong with the Fade sequence in this. It was just "proceed ahead, kill enemies and maybe pick up optional items if you feel like". It wasn't a good level and kinda boring, but mostly inoffensive. Short too. Takes like what, 10 minutes?

DAO sequence... I had to remove it from my mind.

So it's good because it's short now.
Lemme add that to my DAI.txt
Thanks. Now off to the ignore list you go.

"I don't mind a dick up my ass if it's just 3 inches long."

RK47

Patron
what if you decide to Ride The Bull and find out he has a 3 inch long dick
It's okay cause it's just 10 mins long. It's not an hour of butt-fucking. And it gets better. Especially after Skyhold. And get EVEN better near late game.

Never forget, folks
1. You're playing it wrong. (You didn't explore enough, you didn't collect the raw materials!)
2. Your rig is too shit to enjoy it. (I saw your video, and the fps is so low, no wonder combat is shit to you)
3. It's stupid, fun shit. (See: the Joys of Crafting and not being given Boss' drops)
4. If you're not on a controller, you deserve to suffer. (Don't try to blame Bioware for shitty PC ports)
5. It's an action arcade role playing game. (Hence tactics mean shit and spam that awesome button)
6. It gets better after Skyhold aka - you're not at the good parts. (Your complaints are illegitimate till then)
7. It gets even better at late game - you're still far, far away from the good parts. (You still hate the game post Skyhold?! Something is definitely wrong with you!)
8. It's not bad cause it's not long. I don't mind it at all, it's not shit cause it's just 10 minutes of shit. (The fade isn't horrible cause it's short!)
9. Why do you expect this game to be good? It was originally shit in the first place. It's your fault expecting too much. (Why do you play this game if it's shit? LOLOLOL Roffles)

Anything else?
CMON!
GIVE ME ALL YOU GOT!

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Money has zero use in the game, as does "power" for the most part."

You are a fukkin' idiot. You can't complete the game without power you dumb shit.

"No, the first time it was full of terrible trial and error parts and "search for the correct transformation" puzzles. It was too long."

Ignorant toolbag. Oh noes. A game has trial and error as part of game. OH MY FUKKIN' GOD.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom