Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Crevice tab

Savant
I think the problem is that nobody called them out on their shit. You know, in KotoR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, all of that shit, it's all about the hero and the big evil force and what have you, and the fantasy setting's gotta have dwarves and elves and shit. And everybody laps it up, so now triple a rpg writing is topsy turvy in their head. The bioware offices are now part of the bizarro zone, good is bad and bad is good, dogs and cats living together! Madness!

They've been called out on their shit multiple times. I did it a long time ago on their own forums (after ME 3s brilliant ending). Every time you do that there are a ton of biotards mindlessly defending their corporate gods who heap even more shit down upon them as a reward for their devotion.

Prime Junta

aleph Haven't played MMO's so can't comment on that.

It's a weird game, this one. Look at anything closely and it's obvious garbage, yet the whole still manages to be... fun. Go figure.

Okay, not absolutely everything is garbage. In particular, this is IMO BioWare's best effort so far at lore-crafting and connecting game content to the lore. This includes physical features in the environment, characters, quests, and story elements. The lore may not be the most original in the world, but they have paid serious attention to it instead of just pulling it out of their ass like in the ME's for example. It makes the world feel lived-in in a good way, which is not something all games in this genre manage to pull off. I'm digging the exploration, both of the physical world and the written lore.

Bleed the Man What, was I mistaken? Is there level scaling? I assumed there wasn't since I got murdered by a revenant at, like, level 6. (Which was cool.)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Okay, not absolutely everything is garbage. In particular, this is IMO BioWare's best effort so far at lore-crafting and connecting game content to the lore. This includes physical features in the environment, characters, quests, and story elements. The lore may not be the most original in the world, but they have paid serious attention to it instead of just pulling it out of their ass like in the ME's for example. It makes the world feel lived-in in a good way, which is not something all games in this genre manage to pull off. I'm digging the exploration, both of the physical world and the written lore.

It's the same thing with Oblivion and Fallout 3: obvious attention to detail was put into it, but was also done so at a amateurish and poorly implemented level.

Detailed world? Check.
Rich in lore, good or bad in quality? Check.
Level scaling? Check.
Randomized loot? Check.
Ascetically pleasing, even if a bit banal? Check.
Retarded dialog? Check.
Glitchy but not game breakingly so? Check.
Source for stupid memes? Check.

It's like a child sperging out with many ideas that are good in theory but because it's a child doing the work the end result is poor execution.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bleed the Man What, was I mistaken? Is there level scaling? I assumed there wasn't since I got murdered by a revenant at, like, level 6. (Which was cool.)

All the areas have a range of levels for their enemies. There are "high level zones" in those areas, but most of the enemies you encounter scale with you.

aleph RK47 that's overstating the case.
"How To Win Fights In DA:I:"
1. Roll Knight Enchanter.

Shut up.
Sad thing is, you don't need the knight enchanter, as broken as it is, to have the same effect. It's that sad. I don't remember DA2 being that poorly balanced, but I don't remember that much

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the problem is that nobody called them out on their shit. You know, in KotoR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Jade Empire, all of that shit, it's all about the hero and the big evil force and what have you, and the fantasy setting's gotta have dwarves and elves and shit. And everybody laps it up, so now triple a rpg writing is topsy turvy in their head. The bioware offices are now part of the bizarro zone, good is bad and bad is good, dogs and cats living together! Madness!

They've been called out on their shit multiple times. I did it a long time ago on their own forums (after ME 3s brilliant ending). Every time you do that there are a ton of biotards mindlessly defending their corporate gods who heap even more shit down upon them as a reward for their devotion.

Yeah, but they take the lapdog journalists' word over fan minorities. In fact, everybody but rpg veterans seem to eat their shit up. Journalists love them, most fans love them, the sales are high. Then it all came to a head in ME3, but by then their head was too far into the sand.

Malpercio

Arcane
GoT wasn't anywhere near as popular when DAO came out, DAO felt more like The Witcher + Lord of the Ring.

That said, DAO story wasn't particularly insufferable, only kinda boring (Loghain and the Archdemon were pretty pathetic villains, main quest being kinda of a bore until the Denerim), what brought the game down was the awful encounter rate and the encounter design that made everything feel like you a huge chore.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Sad thing is, you don't need the knight enchanter, as broken as it is, to have the same effect. It's that sad. I don't remember DA2 being that poorly balanced, but I don't remember that much
Yeah, you can also just craft a weapon with fade-touched obsidian. Then, instead of losing HP you will gain a block bar instead.

balmorar

Arcane
Queued Possibly Retarded The Real Fanboy Edgy
Some anon translated the original chinese news post from 3DM:

After 15 days of work, the 64bit version of Denuvo has been cracked, this hints at Fifa 15,DA:I, and lord of the fallen being ready for release in the near future. To be honest, this DRM was pretty powerful, and made me worried, because fifa 15 and DA:I weren't preforming very well(in terms of market sales?). Fifa 15 sold 5000 copies, DA:I about 3000 copies, compared to international sales of a few million, it's a drop in the bucket, a lot of ORIGINAL HEROES(basically fags that buy original) bitched about how we're destroying the market, but now we can see it, if there is no crack, would people buy? I think, judging from our country's cultural and buying patterns, uncrackable games are damaging to the PC gaming scene in china, it doesn't increase the amount of legit/original games purchased, and many PC gamers would rather not play the game(abandon it). Habits/tastes have to be slowly built, market environment has to be slowly cultivated, the government's attitude has to slowly change, you can't change everything in one fell swoop.

Actually, our actions throughout the years, isn't it just to enable PC gamers to enjoy video games? To be able to increase or maintain the amount of PC gamers, we're very open to increased marketing of video games, but to be able to breach the many layers of government bureaucracy and to create a price point more suited to the spending power of chinese citizen, if only games would do that in china, they could sell millions, then it would reason that the effect of our cracks in china would not be that impactful.

Skills are only a form of (natural)ability, we possess skills, so it is natural to want to use them for good.

The following video has depictions of sex, violence, gore blah blah
:kfc:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's a weird game, this one. Look at anything closely and it's obvious garbage, yet the whole still manages to be... fun.
It does? i was bored out of my mind while playing it.

After about 10 hours.. I don't even want to play it any more because I know I need to go crystal hunting or find a cow before I can actually see some scripted dialogue..

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Eight hours? So that's where all the "this game TOTALLY takes 80+ hours to complete, guys" actually comes from, huh.

the joke is many impatient players simply set their system clock forward to instant complete it :lol:

Because they can not wait for the amazing rewards that this operations give to you! 60+ influence! An amulet! Some minerals and plants! OMG, it's so epic being the head of the Inquisition.

Malpercio

Arcane
That's not even the longest one.

The
Hero of Ferelden one

takes 18 hours!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course, since there's no level scaling you might occasionally stumble into something that'll one-shot your tank or rogue (at range) in which case it's probably not worth the trouble just then, and you can make it even easier by playing with suitable elemental damage and counters depending on where you are, but that's about all there's to it.

"there's no level scaling"

:hmmm:
This is not completely true from impressions I have read from other players.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And after establishing contact with the hero of Ferelden, he sent me a dumb fucking dagger that I couldn't even use. Useless fucking waste of time.

set

Cipher
And after establishing contact with the hero of Ferelden, he sent me a dumb fucking dagger that I couldn't even use. Useless fucking waste of time.

This is the classical issue DA and DA2 had -- in essence, itemization was bad.

In DAO, there was zero incentive to be a dagger witch or a bow warrior. You could equip these weapons, which was a plus, but there was zero purpose to doing so.
In DA2, the attribute system arbitrarily constrained what you could equip. Your allies could not equip much besides a new weapons. This made it so at least 30-40% of the equipment you found was useless to you while the other 40% was either a sidegrade or less powerful than what you already possessed. Items were not only locked by level and stats, but also by class.
In DA3, it looks to be the same issues as DA2 - except itemization is even worse, because you're expected to play the game like an mmo and pick up loot every five seconds - 90% of which is useless to you.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I have to ask about the quests that have a timer...
Is it real time or game time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom