Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Indeed, you don't need to be a native speaker to do that, but you need to know what you are talking about. However, the stuff you criticize is not only acceptable in speech but its meaning is completely clear to anyone who is fluent in English, native speaker or not. You come off as an uniformed idiot not because you are not a native English speaker but because of your semi-autistic approach to language.
I don't want to divert from the topic, so this is the last comment I'll make on this - the meaning is completely clear, and the lines are acceptable. I'm not saying the phrase is incomprehensible, just that it's ambiguous, and that I consider it clumsy writing. Generally when people speak they aim to be understood, which is achieved by being as unambiguous as possible. That's unless a person is going for being ambiguous, which they may do for a variety of reasons. The way this quoted sentence is constructed, you couldn't say what she meant just by reading/listening.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So yeah, uhhhh, despite my better judgement I decided to give the game a whirl. Five minutes in to the intro I get a weird audio bug where the voices of certain characters loops over itself. A bit after that my character spontaneously changes his costume in a cutscene mid-fall, I find that I now have to fucking click each individual time I want my fucking character to swing his sword, and I check my inventory to find that I've got a bunch of rogue equipment.

Is the rest of the game as buggy as this? Because this is not a good first impression.

I'm honestly having no bug issues at all. Sometimes the pop-in is really bad when moving quickly from one populated area to another, probably because I "only" have 4GB of RAM, but other than that it runs butter smooth with no issues.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So yeah, uhhhh, despite my better judgement I decided to give the game a whirl. Five minutes in to the intro I get a weird audio bug where the voices of certain characters loops over itself. A bit after that my character spontaneously changes his costume in a cutscene mid-fall, I find that I now have to fucking click each individual time I want my fucking character to swing his sword, and I check my inventory to find that I've got a bunch of rogue equipment.

Is the rest of the game as buggy as this? Because this is not a good first impression.

I'm honestly having no bug issues at all. Sometimes the pop-in is really bad when moving quickly from one populated area to another, probably because I "only" have 4GB of RAM, but other than that it runs butter smooth with no issues.

Never crashed at all for me either. Just that if you try jumping around in Skyhold the game would pause momentarily to load the missing zones hehehe. That's one thing the game has actually, stability. I've not run into any serious game breaking bugs.

set

Cipher
Indeed, you don't need to be a native speaker to do that, but you need to know what you are talking about. However, the stuff you criticize is not only acceptable in speech but its meaning is completely clear to anyone who is fluent in English, native speaker or not. You come off as an uniformed idiot not because you are not a native English speaker but because of your semi-autistic approach to language.
I don't want to divert from the topic, so this is the last comment I'll make on this - the meaning is completely clear, and the lines are acceptable. I'm not saying the phrase is incomprehensible, just that it's ambiguous, and that I consider it clumsy writing. Generally when people speak they aim to be understood, which is achieved by being as unambiguous as possible. That's unless a person is going for being ambiguous, which they may do for a variety of reasons. The way this quoted sentence is constructed, you couldn't say what she meant just by reading/listening.

You're a retard. No seriously. Everyone still talking about this is a retard.

"And I You" is completely unambigiuous in its meaning. It is literally a synonym for "ME FUCKING TOO". It is said in response, if I recall, to the statement of, "I look forward to working with you." "And I You" in this context literally means, "And I [with] You". "And I You" is a statement of reciprocity, if he had said, "I love going to the beach with you" or "I hate your guts" "and I you" has a completely logical and consistent meaning of, "Yeah? Well me too." Would you say "Me too" is ambiguous? "And I you" is just a more awkward way of saying it - but it's been in English for probably over one hundred years, you could probably find books far older than any of us that have used it.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just saw Angry Joe's video and I must say that EA did it; all the morons in the world are drinking the koolaid and riding the bull. Oh and kudos to whatever genious that came up with them sex scenes; the geeks of the world can now live all their twisted sex fantasías because of them Bravo!

Malpercio

Arcane
Only final boss left and Skyr... hold still has giant holes in the fucking wall. :hmmm:

At this point I'm tempted to say even fucking NWN2 had better "castle" mechanics. Granted, my memory of NWN2 main champaign is a bit faulty, but I remember there being some choices regarding how your fortress shaped up or something. Skyrimhold may look nice and big, but it barelly has anything going on.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
At this point I'm tempted to say even fucking NWN2 had better "castle" mechanics. Granted, my memory of NWN2 main champaign is a bit faulty, but I remember there being some choices regarding how your fortress shaped up or something. Skyrimhold may look nice and big, but it barelly has anything going on.

Nah, NWN2's castle was pretty shit as well. You just spoke to someone and payed them gold and they built a new bit. If you were stingy with your gold then the fortress assault just dragged on for longer or you missed out on some NPCs or whatever. It felt equally shallow and out of place and, contextually, quite meaningless. The castle decorating in Dragon's Rim is quite clearly "something for the ladies".

Whiran

Magister
You might want to think about what you are trying to say before you write next time:

... the meaning is completely clear
... just that it's ambiguous
The definition of Ambiguous:

Dictionary.reference.com said:
of doubtful or uncertain nature; difficult to comprehend, distinguish, or classify:
a rock of ambiguous character.
lacking clearness or definiteness; obscure; indistinct:
an ambiguous shape; an ambiguous future.

Turjan

Arcane
DA:I is truly instructive. How to heal an addict: utter one motivational sentence.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Nah, NWN2's castle was pretty shit as well. You just spoke to someone and payed them gold and they built a new bit. If you were stingy with your gold then the fortress assault just dragged on for longer or you missed out on some NPCs or whatever. It felt equally shallow and out of place and, contextually, quite meaningless. The castle decorating in Dragon's Rim is quite clearly "something for the ladies".

Eh. Now, that's not true. The NWN2 castle had 8-16 unlockable scenes with rewards, two branching paths depending on your alignment and choices, and several interesting things to interact with (for example, you could befriend a giant spider out in the world during a quest for example -- then go back and find it moved into your cellar, where it weaves you a cloak that served me through MotB). All in all, it was a pretty involving sub-plot/mini-game.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NWN2 stronghold was one of the best things of that game. One could argue that's not saying much, but all in all, was a well recieved feature.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Ah, yes, the Spider... that I killed because I hadn't read a walktrough...

I found that to be the worst part of the game. It felt like a road-block to adventuring and a mini-non-RPG game stuffed into an unexpecting RPG. The associated quests were laughable jaunts into single screen encounters where nothing really happened. As for the castle building, it was "Do you want a tower?" "Yes, obviously" "ok, give me 120,000gp" job done. There was no reason to say no to any of the upgrades and the choice between a cleric or a whatever building was pretty darn irritating, inserting this way or that choice for no other reason than inserting this way or that choice, like the choice between mages and templars in a DA game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
tumblr_nfm3gpQJXC1qlwdn4o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nfm3gpQJXC1qlwdn4o2_1280.jpg

Azarkon

Arcane
Just went through the Empress Celene mission.

Besides the horrible collection quests which both RPG and MMO designers need to lay the fuck off on, I found this mission to be, in fact, entertaining in a way the rest of the game was not. It has political intrigue, choices and consequences, plot twists, lots of character interactions, urgency mechanics, and the writing isn't terrible. I was pleasantly surprised by Morrigan's entrance and characterization, considering how I wasn't at all a fan of her in DAO. Too bad it's this late into the game.

Why wasn't 90% of the game built this way?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ah, yes, the Spider... that I killed because I hadn't read a walktrough...

I found that to be the worst part of the game. It felt like a road-block to adventuring and a mini-non-RPG game stuffed into an unexpecting RPG. The associated quests were laughable jaunts into single screen encounters where nothing really happened. As for the castle building, it was "Do you want a tower?" "Yes, obviously" "ok, give me 120,000gp" job done. There was no reason to say no to any of the upgrades and the choice between a cleric or a whatever building was pretty darn irritating, inserting this way or that choice for no other reason than inserting this way or that choice, like the choice between mages and templars in a DA game.

I can only say that, art being subjective, the line between material that is badly composed and the participant's own unwillingness to invest in the material is extremely vague.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
But then you could say that about anything...

The original NWN expansion had a similar event whereby you performed duties to help defend your enclave from an impending attack. I had no problems with it there at all. Maybe it was the whole "Thanks for 'choosing' to be our saviour, now give us all your adventuring gold so you can protect us, er, I mean...have access to new content" bit which pissed me off...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Icewind Dale 2 had a "help build and protect the castle" event at the very beginning of the game. I had no problem with that.

In fact, it's already quite an RPG fixture.

But I'm sorry I didn't like the way it was handled in NWN2... it must be me...

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Inserting this way or that choice for no other reason than inserting this way or that choice, like the choice between mages and templars in a DA game.
Yeah, I hate it when games put in interesting, meaningful, and consequential choices for no reason other than to have interesting, meaningful, and consequential choices. :lol:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Haha, just got to the embarrassing poker scene. It's like a fantasy Friends episode.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom