Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I said this before and i'll say it again. NWN2 entire campaign was one large tutorial for a D&D adventure, and it was meant to be by design."

Bull;shit. Obsidian stated, quite clearly, that it was supposed to be the best game of all time. It was nto meant to be a tutorial. That said, NWN2 OC was an okay RPG with a bukllshit sword in the ass plot hook and some really horrible joinables that were forced on you.

Also, what pnp campaign has you have a sword literally stuck up your fukkin' ass.

The most cliched RPG campaign ever is a group of strangers meeting in a fukkin' tavern and randomly choosing to go adventures together. LMFAO

Multi-headed Cow

I think New Vegas showed that Obsidian can take the best of the retarded and the best of the "true holy might" and mix them together into a generally pleasing "mainstream enhanced" experience.
To be fair New Vegas is also Obsidian's only completely good game. The rest of their games need qualifying statements, like Alpha Protocol is good "As long as you don't want to play a videogame", and KotOR2 is good "As long as you hate yourself", and NWN2 isn't good. I can't even say it's good. Let us never speak of NWN2 ever again. Dungeon Siege 3 is good "As long as you're using a controller and possibly blackmailed a friend or loved one to suffer through it with you". They're like shittier Troika. Troika games are usually horribly broken in some way but magnificent in others. Obsidian games are just pretty bad.

New Vegas though I've done two full playthroughs and I've at least least one more in me since I've been getting some urges now and again. Only real complaint I had with it is they don't do the general "World design" as well as Bethesda. They do setting design miles better but Fallout 3 is mostly still better for just "Ok I'm heading east and I'm gonna explore". And I say mostly better only because Fallout 3's location design was usually sharper. Better clutter placement, areas looked better, etc. Functionally FNV's areas tended to be better since they more often played into the faction shenanigans at the core of the game, and/or had sidequests which were universally better than in Fallout 3. OH NEW VEGAS I LOVE YOU

Edit: Though this may be because I like Bethesda games (Even Oblivion and FO3) more than Bioware games on the whole, and Obsidian's closer to Bioware than it is to Bethesda with the exception of FNV.

set

Cipher
Nah AP is pretty neat for how the little choices you make alter the situation of each playthrough pretty drastically, even if the outcomes are more or less the same at the end.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Nah AP is pretty neat for how the little choices you make alter the situation of each playthrough pretty drastically, even if the outcomes are more or less the same at the end.

Beating Marburg at Rome felt good to me.
It was a 'YES I DID IT' moment cause I figured out what made him tick.
Him coming out of cover, falling for the provocation and eating a chainshot to the head - One of the best gaming moments in lifetime.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
I said this before and i'll say it again. NWN2 entire campaign was one large tutorial for a D&D adventure, and it was meant to be by design. That's why it feels like the most cliched RPG campaign ever made. Because that's what it was supposed to be. It was meant to be a large introduction for people who had never played an RPG or a D&D game before and it was supposed to serve as an example for people to go out and make their own adventures.

I don't think "It was shit because it was supposed to be. It was designed as shit for all the shitty players. It was designed as an example of how not to be shit." is a very good excuse for being shit.

Not when it was full price and it was the only game in the box.

Bio kinda got a pass for the same thing with NWN because it was new in concept, by the time NWN2 came along we were expecting an evolution not the same old shit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
To be fair New Vegas is also Obsidian's only completely good game. The rest of their games need qualifying statements, like Alpha Protocol is good "As long as you don't want to play a videogame", and KotOR2 is good "As long as you hate yourself", and NWN2 isn't good. I can't even say it's good. Let us never speak of NWN2 ever again. Dungeon Siege 3 is good "As long as you're using a controller and possibly blackmailed a friend or loved one to suffer through it with you". They're like shittier Troika. Troika games are usually horribly broken in some way but magnificent in others. Obsidian games are just pretty bad.

I like them more than you do, but yes, New Vegas is the first one to have good gameplay as well as good story/quest design/C&C/etc. The rest of their games I play for that latter stuff and suffer through the gameplay to do it.

Though I still haven't played (supposed classic) Mask of the Betrayer yet.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Plus, Obsidian was shitting on BIO and claiming they wwould make an awesome camapagn to beat NWN shit OC even though NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are both equally average. NWN2 OC winning in the C&C department and NWN1 winning via characters and combat.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Sorry DalekFlay, If I can just stop you there. It's definitely not a 'classic', it's just better, but in comparison that's not really much of a compliment.

Well a lot of people here jizzed all over it, that's why I put that comment in there. Obviously I wouldn't know, not having played it. I hated NWN2 enough at the time to avoid the expansions.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Sorry DalekFlay, If I can just stop you there. It's definitely not a 'classic', it's just better, but in comparison that's not really much of a compliment.

Well a lot of people here jizzed all over it, that's why I put that comment in there. Obviously I wouldn't know, not having played it. I hated NWN2 enough at the time to avoid the expansions.

In my opinion, wise decision.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Not playing Mask of the Betrayer is quite a heresy, especially if you are somewhat a storyfag.
I'm far from being a storyfag but just played MotB for its story. You know, you can directly start from it to avoid boring main game.

Edit: Anyone who endured Alpha Protocol and New Vegas on release date can easily endure MotB.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Is that 'U' as in Ultima (considering you're only using first letter), or 'U' as in you?

If it's the latter it's kinda lame, It's like trotting out "your mom" as an insult to someone. Although it's probably what is expected from a fan of this.

:hahano:

Multi-headed Cow

even though NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are both equally average
Bullshitz. As sucky as NWN2's campaign is it's still significantly better than NWN1's campaign. NWN1's campaign remains to this day the only Bioware game that I've started and couldn't bring myself to finish. I even beat DA2, but NWN1's campaign broke me. DA2 was comically and entertainingly bad, NWN1's campaign is the single most dull thing mankind has created.

NWN2 has redeeming features like the trial which was kind of poorly made and didn't have good enough C&C but it made you think "If someone else did this it could have been really cool", and the keep management which was the same, and the awesome/awful narrator at the end.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
U2XHHIa.png
Should be molded into

:excellent:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Not playing Mask of the Betrayer is quite a heresy, especially if you are somewhat a storyfag.
I'm far from being a storyfag but just played MotB for its story. You know, you can directly start from it to avoid boring main game.

Edit: Anyone who endured Alpha Protocol and New Vegas on release date can easily endure MotB.

I'm not opposed to trying it, just haven't gotten around to it.

P.S. No one endures New Vegas, you bask in its splendor.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Fun fact, Michael Kirkbride thinks DA2 was better. Not saying that DAI is a bad game, but DA2 is his favourite of the three.

Source? I love that guy.

His facebook, in comments to a post I can't find right now. (coul have been on someone else's wall and I'm not friends with that person) From memory: more mature storytelling, Qunari are interesting, less generic save the world fantasy bullshit.

Delterius

Arcane
Fun fact, Michael Kirkbride thinks DA2 was better. Not saying that DAI is a bad game, but DA2 is his favourite of the three.

Source? I love that guy.

His facebook, in comments to a post I can't find right now. (coul have been on someone else's wall and I'm not friends with that person) From memory: more mature storytelling, Qunari are interesting, less generic save the world fantasy bullshit.
Bold: Reaaaaaaaaally? Did he just read the marketing primer for the game?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Source? I love that guy.

Bold: Reaaaaaaaaally? Did he just read the marketing primer for the game?

Well DA2 plot line is more interesting than generic ORCs led by Dragon Invasion from DAO was +M. Both MOTB and Torment had less epic and personal story line and both were top notch story fag games; Its the Biowaste poor execution of the City plot which sucks. So from concepts side of think Comrade Kirkbridge scored a valid point.

Delterius

Arcane
Well DA2 plot line is more interesting than generic ORCs led by Dragon Invasion from DAO was +M. Both MOTB and Torment had less epic and personal story line and both were top notch story fag games; Its the Biowaste execution of the City plot which sucks.
I'd agree on the premisse being more interesting. In the end though, a lot of things in DA2 could have been great ideas if they weren't actually good excuses to do as little work as possible.

Such as basing the whole game around the outskirts of a single city - its an opportunity to not have a pathetically small urban area or even to detail the a smaller region much more than you get to in games like DA:O or DA:I. Not unlike BG2. Nonetheless results are that the city proper is still rather small and uninteresting.

DA2 also get bonus points for the unison of the games' themes, not unlike in many of the forum's favored storyfaggotry games. Everything ties back to religious conflict and the mage x templar issue.

However, I wouldn't say that DA2 is a more personal story. They say it is and you've got a handful of story arcs that relate to your family, but, in the end, BioWare doesn't do stories that aren't about world spanning crises. DA2 was about failling to save the world, really. From an Order Versus Rebellion/Freedom dichotomy no less, doesn't get much more generic than this. It isn't nearly as bad as in DA:I, though. Some more points for that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom