Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
This real-time timer bullshit is just padding out the game for PR purposes. At least TWEWY tried to justify the rest mechanic with "kids shouldn't play vidya too long". But Bioware can't pretend that this is some Disney game for kids.
What? Most of them are like 2 hours max affairs and the rest you just start before going to sleep. Would you prefer the timer to be in game, or something?

iT'S A NON-GAME MECHANIC. "WAIT TO PLAY" IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. It is not acceptable. I expect more from a $60 purchase. Anyone can slap 2D images on a board and present a user with a timer and a result at the end of it. Take those resources wasted on a timer paragraph and put it to something of substance. These phone mechanics are wasted money -- or BioWare's attempt to earn more money by making us pay for our impatience.
The board has more C&C than the rest of the game put together.

Step 1: Make a small program or macro that sets system clock forward by 48 hours, then back again.
Step 2: Give it a hotkey
Step 3: ???
Step 4: ALL THE RESOURCES

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
even though NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are both equally average
Bullshitz. As sucky as NWN2's campaign is it's still significantly better than NWN1's campaign. NWN1's campaign remains to this day the only Bioware game that I've started and couldn't bring myself to finish. I even beat DA2, but NWN1's campaign broke me. DA2 was comically and entertainingly bad, NWN1's campaign is the single most dull thing mankind has created.

NWN2 has redeeming features like the trial which was kind of poorly made and didn't have good enough C&C but it made you think "If someone else did this it could have been really cool", and the keep management which was the same, and the awesome/awful narrator at the end.

I call bullshitz on both.

Mundanity isn't something that's bad. It's not good, but it's not bad, that's why it's called mundane. When you have a game where the only genuine criticism you can muster is that it's mundane (or the less useful term boring) then that's pretty darn good in my books. That means I could list 9 things I liked and just downgrade the game's points from one category. You could argue that boredom is the biggest sin of all, but it's not really (what with boredom threshholds being different for different people)... and so we get to NWN2...

Which was *mostly* mundane with just the odd *good bit* people can use in forum arguments (the use of "significantly" later recinded in the same post by "redeeming features if someone else had have done them"), but, holy shit, most of it was mundane. But it also had crap combat, was bugged to high heaven, and felt like a disjointed mess, both in area design and story/questing. I don't play games and give them a personal rating based on what it could have been, I rate games on what they are.

I have no idea why you think DA2 was in any way comically bad. It was grey, dull, pointless dross with not one single redeeming feature that couldn't raise a smile if it tried. You might find it amusing to play a game where the only humourous aspect is taking the piss out of a scrawny, badly written companion doll, but I tend to prefer either real humour to make me smile or something genuinely comically bad, like the way the companions can't keep still or climb into walls or hump each other while your PC has supposedly meaningful and serious dialogues that decide the fate of everything in DA:I.

NWN was the definition of average. NWN2 was below average. DA:I is average. DA2 was below average.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Well DA2 plot line is more interesting than generic ORCs led by Dragon Invasion from DAO was +M. Both MOTB and Torment had less epic and personal story line and both were top notch story fag games; Its the Biowaste poor execution of the City plot which sucks. So from concepts side of think Comrade Kirkbridge scored a valid point.

Again, someone judging something by what it could have been in their own imagination rather than what it actually is... catastrophic fail. It doesn't matter what the construct of the plot is, it's whether it's executed well that matters. Also, I'd love to hear what's so "differently interesting" about a plot-line about someone becoming a god in a city instead of a god in the wider world - it's the same shit isn't it?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
even though NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are both equally average
Bullshitz. As sucky as NWN2's campaign is it's still significantly better than NWN1's campaign. NWN1's campaign remains to this day the only Bioware game that I've started and couldn't bring myself to finish. I even beat DA2, but NWN1's campaign broke me. DA2 was comically and entertainingly bad, NWN1's campaign is the single most dull thing mankind has created.

NWN2 has redeeming features like the trial which was kind of poorly made and didn't have good enough C&C but it made you think "If someone else did this it could have been really cool", and the keep management which was the same, and the awesome/awful narrator at the end.

I feel exactly the opposite. I never replayed either game, but after a few hours of gameplay, I couldn't bring myself to progress in NWN2 no matter how hard I tried. It felt just like a poor attempt at a D20 RPG. NWN had, to its advantage, the whole "real 3D novelty" effect. I especially loved NWN's first act and the whole "urban" environment. NWN2 felt just meh, especially in the beginning, and completely failed to generate any kind of compelling in me.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NWN1 had the best NPCs ever - Desther, Fenthick and Aribeth.
I'm assuming you're being ironic?

I remember every time you completed one of the four macguffin shit from the first act Aribeth said every time the same ego strocking bullshit. She was just there to tell you how awesome you were, and to have a plot twist, that's it. It was quite pathetic.
And Desther and Fenthick were terribly one dimensional..

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm assuming you're being ironic?

I remember every time you completed one of the four macguffin shit from the first act Aribeth said every time the same ego strocking bullshit. She was just there to tell you how awesome you were, and to have a plot twist, that's it. It was quite pathetic.
And Desther and Fenthick were terribly one dimensional..
h4w h4w h4w! How d4r3 j00 s4y th4t! H4w h4w h4w!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Well DA2 plot line is more interesting than generic ORCs led by Dragon Invasion from DAO was +M. Both MOTB and Torment had less epic and personal story line and both were top notch story fag games; Its the Biowaste poor execution of the City plot which sucks. So from concepts side of think Comrade Kirkbridge scored a valid point.

Again, someone judging something by what it could have been in their own imagination rather than what it actually is... catastrophic fail. It doesn't matter what the construct of the plot is, it's whether it's executed well that matters. Also, I'd love to hear what's so "differently interesting" about a plot-line about someone becoming a god in a city instead of a god in the wider world - it's the same shit isn't it?

Keep in mind for a lot of people "best Dragon Age game" might be similar to "best shit sandwich." They're all pretty flawed.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Keep in mind for a lot of people "best Dragon Age game" might be similar to "best shit sandwich." They're all pretty flawed.

Nonsense, everyone knows best sandwich is "The Dagwood Sandwich"

basri1.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/530612-the-romance-in-this-game-is-medicore-at-best/

Alright, let me dive straight into it.

When I first saw that their was romance I stopped myself from Googling spoilers, and I kinda regret that. While the characters appear more human I cannot help to feel that it limits the whole roleplaying experience. In any game that allows it, my first playthrough is always a gay human male -- so I'll start on this for now! The first person I saw that I could flirt with was Cullen, and by the Gods he was perfect for my Inquistitor! So I got to work, I began talking to him every time I saw him, selected each flirty option I could and tried to in his direction for his approval of me. It was actually going insanely well, first option to flirt down and he gave me that corny smile people noted, and I thought I was onto something, second option he let me flirt with him again and that was great, but.. the third time he shot me down, and it hit me like a truck. Cullen just friendzoned me.

While I adore the fact that the NPC's have unique tastes, this cuts from the roleplay standard. I'm not making this so Cullen will be made bisexual just for my pleasure, or whatever I aim to get out of him. It's the fact I feel like every character should be coded bisexual, but with preferences. Okay, maybe Cullen is straight, but if you woo him enough he'll swap over to the same team. Because from what I can muster, this game is based on choices, I learnt that the wrong way when I snapped at Cassandra over something so little because the choice-wheel lies, it lies at every turn, for an option that seems like it will come out as happy my character ends up chewing someones head off, but back to romance.

Alright, so now all characters are bisexual, what now? Well the most formiddle part is making it work, I shouldn't be able to just walk up to someone and have relations with them. I'll use Cullen as an example, because almost everyone on here knows him, let's say our Cullen is now bisexual, however he doesn't know it. Simple, in order for a male to get Cullen, you'll have to put in some mad extra work for him, the amazing thing about this is each character can be coded to be easy or hard to obtain.

And while we're on it the whole buddy system should be improved, as you know this is a game where reading and listening prevails, so let's say if you try to flirt with someone who is straight before you're highly close to them it'll kick your rating right down, maybe flirting options could even fail and you're blocked from talking to that person for a few hours (I haven't noticed a day/night cycle) 3 hours real time, it'd make sense and add a sense of realism into the mix, I really think you guys could do amazing work with a system with this, maybe even add in potential lovers, as 6 is actually rather low for a game this size.

:happytrollboy:

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Well a lot of people here jizzed all over it, that's why I put that comment in there. Obviously I wouldn't know, not having played it. I hated NWN2 enough at the time to avoid the expansions.

MotB is great and well worth playing even despite the shitty NWN2 camera/engagement mechanics.

eremita

Savant
Well a lot of people here jizzed all over it, that's why I put that comment in there. Obviously I wouldn't know, not having played it. I hated NWN2 enough at the time to avoid the expansions.

MotB is great and well worth playing even despite the shitty NWN2 camera/engagement mechanics.
The camera is ok. It's clunky for beginner but it's okay.

Ezrite

Learned
Well DA2 plot line is more interesting than generic ORCs led by Dragon Invasion from DAO was +M. Both MOTB and Torment had less epic and personal story line and both were top notch story fag games; Its the Biowaste execution of the City plot which sucks.
I'd agree on the premisse being more interesting. In the end though, a lot of things in DA2 could have been great ideas if they weren't actually good excuses to do as little work as possible.

Such as basing the whole game around the outskirts of a single city - its an opportunity to not have a pathetically small urban area or even to detail the a smaller region much more than you get to in games like DA:O or DA:I. Not unlike BG2. Nonetheless results are that the city proper is still rather small and uninteresting.

DA2 also get bonus points for the unison of the games' themes, not unlike in many of the forum's favored storyfaggotry games. Everything ties back to religious conflict and the mage x templar issue.

However, I wouldn't say that DA2 is a more personal story. They say it is and you've got a handful of story arcs that relate to your family, but, in the end, BioWare doesn't do stories that aren't about world spanning crises. DA2 was about failling to save the world, really. From an Order Versus Rebellion/Freedom dichotomy no less, doesn't get much more generic than this. It isn't nearly as bad as in DA:I, though. Some more points for that.

Sure, the DA2 story might be more interesting than DA:O "Orcs" but then as you say. Its always a fucking world crisis and you are always the flag pole that everything is tied around and at the end, when the things swirled around for long enough they end up at the flagpole. All the other things tied to DA2 is horrible and stupid. Like a pnp gang of friends who all got told by the DM to add their own lore to their home brew setting.

I prefer salmon over sausage, but if said salmon is diped in puke and served with shit. I rather take that sausage. DA:O > DA2.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well from what Commissar sees from Comrade RK-47 vids DA2 is indeed b.... less shitty game than DAI which has meh popamole combat, MMO grind and even more derp Main Story and Sera oh sweet God Emperor save our souls...

Again Comrades Commissar and Kirkbridge never completed this game which is only way to win it. :smug:

Its all in the end shit +M except first part which was classic Bioware dish but we won't get this ever again from EA/SJW Biowaste.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
found dis on my dropbox

hitler.jpg

dieleliana.jpg

stealing.jpg

Look at this shit game, so many hotbar slots for nothing.
And goddamn weapon swaps allowed. Fucking retards don't understand class-based RPG.
Auto attack to win is decline.

Last edited:

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut

Is that 'U' as in Ultima (considering you're only using first letter), or 'U' as in you?

If it's the latter it's kinda lame, It's like trotting out "your mom" as an insult to someone. Although it's probably what is expected from a fan of this.

:hahano:

Lmao.. yeah, and you've been here a year and a half. Had you been here for a few years then maybe your 'snooty' would have had some gravitas, but in comparison to guys you're playing up to, you're still a 'newfag' yourself.

Maybe leave it a year or two before you next start throwing around join dates. Funny. :lol:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom