Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
But you found it disturbingly enjoyable, is it?
Hmmm.

:updatedmytxt:

Leliana, investigate this individual. I want a report on my desk in eight hours.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
TBH, sound effects and most of the way movement works make combat feel good. I've never played console games, but I imagine they play a lot like this. It reminds me of Turtles in Time, Golden Axe and other arcade BMups of all things. :))
(I know, I know, heretical. But hey, we gave up on DA being RPGs long ago, right?)

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So yeah, been playing a few more hours of this. All I can really say is that gameplay-wise the game tries to pull off a bunch of different things and doesn't really succeed at any of them. Open world is terrible, quests thus far are Ubisoft-tier "Go to this corner of the map and pick this up" filler quests, combat always feels awkward, horse riding is some of the worse mounted gameplay I've seen in years, armor customization always feels hollow since every suit of armor I've come ac]cross thus far is just a variation of the starter armors you get with maybe a couple of belts or zippers added to them, and so on. It's not the utter unmitigated disaster that DA2 was, nor is it the definition of mediocrity that DA1 was, but it's hard to figure out just what the fuck this game wants to do with itself.

Also, game set the new track record for how quickly I began disliking a character: within two lines of dialogue I hated Sera with a passion.

Branm

Learned
So, this game is now GOTY. I guess it is now a good game.

It even beat Divinity OS, so it must be amazing because Divinity was one of the best RPGs combat systems released in the last decade.

Fuck this industry.

Fixed.

The actual story and characters were all kinda 'meh' :P
With WoW gfx.....none of those games deserve GOTY apart from maybe Dark Souls 2 and that is simply due to tight mechanics.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I discovered horrible stuff called new game can be done only through online connection. There is no old save importer for offline...

How can you be playing this turd?

Martius

Liturgist
Are you sure? I thought there is some kind of "default world state" so I would think its just in game files and does not need keep.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
There is no old save importer for offline.

Uh...they've given up on the old save game import.
Which makes sense since keeping old save games over 4 years is a bitch.
So people who want to customize their game world history must do so in Online Dragon Keep.
Which is pretty well-done according to some people.
I didn't start with that, since I wanted to see what Gaider & co. considered 'canon'

Crevice tab

Savant
DAI is about sexuality and trannies...
Is it? I have only watched RK47's videos so far, and if I see that correctly, it's a very minor part of the game. It's probably the only thing it does differently from most other games, so I guess that's why this gets talked about. The bulk of DA:I is borrowed either from other popular games or Bioware's/Obsidian's back catalog, so there's not much to talk about. The cutscenes make up a large part, but the bulk is the grindy combat with lots of colorful effects, which looks totally confusing.

This makes more or less three aspects worth talking about, the pre-primetime quality soap opera, the boring combat, and the sex topics, with only the latter being more or less unique to Bioware.

The soap opera and the sex topics go hand in hand because they're tied to Bioware's approach to writing throwing words around.

As for the boring, grindy combat- well it's boring and grindy. Combat was never done well in the Dragon Age games but DAI takes the cake by making it even more boring and clumsy than the previous titles. Not much to discuss about it beyond that- I'm already exceedingly tired of it from the small bits of DAI I played.

Rpgsaurus Rex

Even on codex in DAI thread the main discussion is about sexuality, sex, trannies and other sick themes. Not that I've ever though much of the 'dex, but these are the main subjects of Bioware Social, and I kinda expected discussions about C&C, combat and writing here.

There's only so many ways to say "almost nonexistent, bad and bad." Particularly when Bioware has no interest in opinions outside the Kotaku-Tumblr nexus, and their design goals are completely dependent on the changing whims of EA. If anything, I'm surprised that Codexers are so interested in a not-RPG made by a company that's now totally opposed to everything they stand for. "Whatever is shifting a gorillion units this year plus that Great Progressive Bioware Writing" is the design philosophy going forward. What that produces may be uninspired dreck, but as long as the payola is scattered with a free hand and the LGBT credentials remain well-burnished, the 10/10s and GOTYs will keep rolling in.

There's no such thing as "the Codexers", lol. It just so happens that it's one of the few English language forums where you can talk about old-school RPGs without the thread getting buried under popamole in exactly under 10 seconds.

That said, at least DA games serve a niche. I could see myself having fun with the usual epic/horny/zomgsomature shenanigans in the same way you would watch a Harmony Korrine movie if I didn't already get fed up with Bioware writing and tropes a long time ago.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
There is no old save importer for offline.

Uh...they've given up on the old save game import.
Which makes sense since keeping old save games over 4 years is a bitch.
I still have my old DA:O save. (And I remember ME managed to import stuff without problems.) In fact I have that save for soo long, I even received DA:O legally for free meantime. Thanks Origin, you are crappy service but games for free are nice.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
I suppose the consolitardation was the reason for not supporting save game importing. Disecting the dao and da2 savegame files can probably be programmed on a monday morning before lunch.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The sad thing is that they do this so they net some good points in the LGBT community. When competent writers write a story, first they make the basic idea, then they develop the story arc, and the characters. If the story needs a lesbian or gay or trans character, great, let them have it. But at Bioware, it goes like this. First breainstorming meeting: OK guys, whatever the story will be, we will need gays and even a trans person. Also, you must be able to fuck everybody.

It is painfully obvious that Bioware is only doing this because it became their shtick. And it makes me sick that people applaud them as progressive and great writers.

I don't mind LGBT representation in games as long as it isn't in your face, and I agree with you here. Krem felt forced, unnecessary and completely out of place. Iron Bull commending her felt even worse. Don't tell me an ancient medieval society as rigid and strict as the Qunari would accept a transgender person instead of stoning them to death.

They are being waaaaay to liberal with LGBT acceptance in a mock medieval society.

Knut

Educated
Don't tell me an ancient medieval society as rigid and strict as the Qunari would accept a transgender person instead of stoning them to death.

i dont remember learning about rifts, mages and dragons in history books either. besides, qunari are based on communist ideal/platonic state: everyone is judged according to their usability and if tool is good it should not go to waste.

That would imply Bioware is straight. Which, going by their latest game, is not true.

good point, looks like most of the posters here are total faggots.

oh, and RK47 , when can we expect second playthrough? you know, so you can REALLY show us how much you dislike and hate this game. your sacrifices for the community are truly immense. have a brofist :bro:

Turjan

Arcane
They are being waaaaay to liberal with LGBT acceptance in a mock medieval society.
While I agree with your thoughts regarding pandering, I don't think this quasi-historical perspective has much merit. There has only very rarely been any "medieval" in so-called "medieval fantasy", apart from a bit of window dressing.

skaraher

Cipher
Don't tell me an ancient medieval society as rigid and strict as the Qunari would accept a transgender person instead of stoning them to death.

i dont remember learning about rifts, mages and dragons in history books either. besides, qunari are based on communist ideal/platonic state: everyone is judged according to their usability and if tool is good it should not go to waste.

Well in that case it's just shameless retcon.

Here's what a DA:O Qunari have to say about women trying to be men:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yes that's the man who said about sex with Morrigan : "You'd need an iron poker in case my teeth would become stuck."

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
While I agree with your thoughts regarding pandering, I don't think this quasi-historical perspective has much merit. There has only very rarely been any "medieval" in so-called "medieval fantasy", apart from a bit of window dressing.

Well, like someone earlier in the thread said (can't remember who), Origins reflected European history quite a bit, with Ferelden being Brittain, Orlais representing the french, Antiva representing Italy, the Qunari representing the outlandish and strange Moors.

It would make sense if your game world is influenced so much by real history, that you'd mimic historical cultural traits as well, but I do get your point about it not necessarily having to be anything more than window dressing. It's a pity though, as I really enjoyed the game world of DA:O, even if the game wasn't great.

Turjan

Arcane

Well, like someone earlier in the thread said (can't remember who), Origins reflected European history quite a bit...
Window dressing. Nothing else. It's fantasy after all, and fantasy works best if you provide the familiar to hang your fantasies on.

Knut

Educated
Well in that case it's just shameless retcon.

not completely true. sex connects to roles and if someone changes his/her role, he/she get viewed and treated like a sex that corresponds to a role. so trans woman fighting is a man, because that is a man's role.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom