Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Athelas

Arcane
Why do they talk about the tactical camera as if it's some kind of alien technology?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nothing. After you defeated the Blight in the first game, there won't be darkspawn problem for a few decade (century?).

They pretty much immediately started retconning that once they realized they'd just fired their load on one of the major concepts of the franchise. Awakening had talking Darkspawn, and

The Blight infects Lyrium, turning it into Red Lyrium, and apparently High Dragons can be transformed into lesser Arch Demons

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So the groundwork was laid for that stuff before, whether it's good or not.
I guess this is more a case of "let's look at what stuff we talked about in DA:O and mention it in the new game, so we don't get all these complaints that we retcon all the lore like in DA2, plus we can say that we planned this all along!"

Sure, probably. The main point is the Flemeth origin isn't out of nowhere.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I take back the nice things I said.

while it had its moments, overall it was an overstuffed, hackneyed, combat-mad adventure in which nothing mattered. it was really going to come down to if the conclusion blew me away with revelations about the setting and if the epilogue slideshow made finishing everything (yes, I did ALL THE THINGS) feel like it'd been worth it. while there were a few pearls cast in the sand of cosmic struggle in the last act (was it the last act? I did all the 'side' content and then all the story content, so the story content felt packed-in and rushed to fuck), but it wasn't nearly enough, in volume or in impact.

the final confrontation with Corypheus could not have been more rushed and unimaginative if it'd been joining a frat. you just go to a place and fight a guy, oh and there are dragons fighting in the background, then you fight the dragon, then you fight the guy more, then you win. there was no final journey into strange secrets. Corypheus continued not to have a character other than would-be god supervillain. your climax should not be Just Another Fucking Boss Fight On Floating Rocks. that's not a -climax.- it's just an -event.-

and then the ending slideshow was -only- major plot points. seriously. I did 100% clears on all those zones and not a one deserved a mention. I got all the companions who didn't fucking BUG OUT (Solas and Dorian, as it happened) into card-flipping loyalty mode, and not even the one I was fucking warranted a brief 'where is he now.' it was just Orlais politics-Grey Wardens-Mages-Inquisition (which always turns out the same with one different line depending on your favorite strategy table action)-done.

I find it almost impossible to believe that in the genre that pioneers the idea that what you do matters and that invented the dynamic end-of-game wrap-up here's-the-outcome the biggest-budget title ever (ever?) couldn't dredge a little more to at least give -binary- endings for at least -some- of the areas and characters we visited and met along the way. but it really was that curt and simplistic. a big nothing. I even altered my gameclock to finish up all the excruciating warboard stuff before going to the endgame--nothing of any real consequence, except if I hadn't done that I'd've needed to wait six hours to get Cassandra to ascend to the Divine, because the agent I needed was locked in the second half of a twelve-hour mission.

I don't think I've ever felt my time so spat upon by a game. y'know, in the last "real" combat area, this big elven temple, you're going up against groups of enemies -identical in composition and behavior to groups of enemies you go up against at the end of the prologue-? seriously. just the same fucking endless fucking herds of templars and demons sprawling all over the countryside, always in your way. and as someone else pointed out in this thread, murder is almost always--I mean really, -really- almost, I can't think of a single time when it wasn't apart from occasionally sparing a political enemy--your only tool for dealing with a problem. you can't navigate your way through conversations to get a solid outcome, because conversations are basically linear, with your input only determining your mood, with the occasional interjection if you've got special dialogue perks unlocked that generally either just gets you another agent (essentially meaningless, no narrative component at all) or a line of dialogue that doesn't really change anything.

I'm pretty offended at how this worked out. I don't think even the good parts were -that- good, and there's just so much mediocrity mixed in for a payoff that will leave you feeling like an idiot for ever hoping that something interesting might come of that mess.

fucking. blech. I can't imagine ever playing it again. if you're only starting to play it now, take my advice: don't go for completionism in the hopes you'll leave imaginary computer world a better place. the game doesn't notice one way or the other.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, I'm really confused by this 'tactical board' nonsense, especially since DA:O and even DA2 managed to pull off a much less clunky alternative that basically just amounted to "Zoom the camera out and pause the game". It just strikes me as Bioware trying to fix a problem that never existed.

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't think I've ever felt my time so spat upon by a game. y'know, in the last "real" combat area, this big elven temple, you're going up against groups of enemies -identical in composition and behavior to groups of enemies you go up against at the end of the prologue-? seriously. just the same fucking endless fucking herds of templars and demons sprawling all over the countryside, always in your way. and as someone else pointed out in this thread, murder is almost always--I mean really, -really- almost, I can't think of a single time when it wasn't apart from occasionally sparing a political enemy--your only tool for dealing with a problem. you can't navigate your way through conversations to get a solid outcome, because conversations are basically linear, with your input only determining your mood, with the occasional interjection if you've got special dialogue perks unlocked that generally either just gets you another agent (essentially meaningless, no narrative component at all) or a line of dialogue that doesn't really change anything.

That was a problem ever since DAO, it didn't matter whatever you were fighting darkspawns, spiders, brigants or even a fucking dragon, all the enemies fought the same.

To think BG2 had like the best encounter design of any RPG...

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
fucking. blech. I can't imagine ever playing it again. if you're only starting to play it now, take my advice: don't go for completionism in the hopes you'll leave imaginary computer world a better place. the game doesn't notice one way or the other.

Well, in Bioware's defense, they probably didn't want the epilogue to commit to anything in the narrative they aren't willing to incorporate as a consequence in the next game. They seem to be becoming slightly more intelligent about that.

Avellion

Erudite
I don't think I've ever felt my time so spat upon by a game. y'know, in the last "real" combat area, this big elven temple, you're going up against groups of enemies -identical in composition and behavior to groups of enemies you go up against at the end of the prologue-? seriously. just the same fucking endless fucking herds of templars and demons sprawling all over the countryside, always in your way.

This has been a problem with BioWare games for a long time now, and with the quantity over quality they seemed to be going for this game. I dont see how it would be any different.

Sadly, instead of being praised for their brilliant itemization or encounter design in Baldur's Gate. Fans seemed to praise the characters and romances, instead of the previously mentioned stuff. Eventually this praising of the wrong things would lead to the modern BioWare.

Malpercio

Arcane

Well, in Bioware's defense, they probably didn't want the epilogue to commit to anything in the narrative they aren't willing to incorporate as a consequence in the next game. They seem to be becoming slightly more intelligent about that.

I dunno about that, in this game you get chose rulers and the next pope and new orders of templars/mages.

How do you incorporate that into the next game for each player? Unless DA4 is going to be table missions: the game.

Sòren

Arcane

irritated-gif.png

there's already another DA planned? what are they trying to do? establish the Call of Duty series of AarPeeGee?

Turjan

Arcane
They will have to hurry up to beat the Final Fantasy series :M.

How does Dragon Age 13.2 sound?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

irritated-gif.png

there's already another DA planned? what are they trying to do? establish the Call of Duty series of AarPeeGee?
Eleven games long series, settle for no less. Do you remember that 10 book long series from Zelazny?

set

Cipher
Yeah, I'm really confused by this 'tactical board' nonsense, especially since DA:O and even DA2 managed to pull off a much less clunky alternative that basically just amounted to "Zoom the camera out and pause the game". It just strikes me as Bioware trying to fix a problem that never existed.

They didn't.

Every developer is doing their job with a dedicated Xbox controller at their desk. We saw that in the promo. Nobody designs for PC.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

As long as this continues to be profitable for EA they will keep cranking these games out.

DA2 sold like shit. This game will have to sell a good amount for them to make a fourth one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom