Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Thoughts on final battle:
:lol:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Delicious smell of nextgen
ezgif-367481030.gif
78eb2de653609b3b8052df232994d950.gif

This gets me every time.:D

Perfect "u wot m8" gif.

Lhynn

Arcane

Delterius

Arcane
What RK didn't show you is that the final boss is supposed to have 4 phases with different cutscenes separating each. All of them share the same Health Bar with the exception that in one of the phases you have to kill his dragon yourself since even your dragon sucks.

Guess what happens if you deal more damage than you are supposed to? The next cutscene doesn't trigger, the boss becomes immortal and locked on an animation. You can see that happening on the video.

The End.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game has fallen off most European sales charts. It has already dropped off the top 40 list in the UK. Don't see it on many other charts either. DA2 the superior game confirmed.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As long as this continues to be profitable for EA they will keep cranking these games out.

DA2 sold like shit. This game will have to sell a good amount for them to make a fourth one.

If it was not profitable, this game would have never been made.
Of course, but it damage the brand image greatly in the eyes of the players, which is why Inquisition had about 4 years of development and tries so hard (to its detriment) to be huge in scope. This game cost a lot more than DA2, and needs lots and lots of money to be considered profitable, while DA2 selling less than DAO was still very profitable.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So RK47 you survived the experience. How do you feel? Are you willing to shell money again to Bioware, or would your rather buy dose of crack? Who was your favorite character? And what scene/saying you liked?

Tell us in detail about your experience before you completely forget.

Last edited:
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
fucking. blech. I can't imagine ever playing it again. if you're only starting to play it now, take my advice: don't go for completionism in the hopes you'll leave imaginary computer world a better place. the game doesn't notice one way or the other.

Well, in Bioware's defense, they probably didn't want the epilogue to commit to anything in the narrative they aren't willing to incorporate as a consequence in the next game. They seem to be becoming slightly more intelligent about that.

I dunno about that, in this game you get chose rulers and the next pope and new orders of templars/mages.

How do you incorporate that into the next game for each player? Unless DA4 is going to be table missions: the game.

Something like "table" missions would be part of it. I'm sure you'll have to interact with the new Pope sometime and it will be like the Warden mission. Maybe an elevated version of that.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
How do you incorporate that into the next game for each player? Unless DA4 is going to be table missions: the game.

Something like "table" missions would be part of it. I'm sure you'll have to interact with the new Pope sometime and it will be like the Warden mission. Maybe an elevated version of that.

With unadulterated bullshit of course, same as it ever was.

You know, I'll probably have a lot of fun with this game when I get round to playing it a few years from now. I always ignore my companions, aside from quest-creation, and the main plot in Bioware games (the few that I've played) and I can just have fun doing something autisticly pointless, like Hinterlands completionism. You might, rightly, laugh and jibe at such pointlessness but most games have that kind of shit and I couldn't imagine it being any more autisticly dumb than playing Path of Exile for 2 hours a night, 5 at weekends.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"DA2 sold like shit."

\Bullshit. It sold 2mil+ in less than a month. It no doubt sold more copies than the BG games ever did. And, considering it was made quickly it was likely relatively cheap. It was definitely profitable. Profitable enough to go ahead with DA3 9they would have outright canceled DA3 if it had bombed).

Of course, it didn't sell 20mil which is DA3 is different just like since DA1 didn't sell 20mil DA2 differed from it. If DA3 doesn't sell 20mil (lol) DA4 will likely be different too. :P

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As long as this continues to be profitable for EA they will keep cranking these games out.

DA2 sold like shit. This game will have to sell a good amount for them to make a fourth one.

Part of DA2's problem was it being made super quick on a tight budget, so it probably did make a profit but that wasn't some big win for them. It sold a lot less than Origins and EA want big super hits, not break-even okay games. If 4 years, a massive budget and all this marketing can't make Inquisition sell at least more than Origins did I don't think EA will be very happy. Skyrim sales are the goal, and those were 4 or 5 times Origins' sales.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Part of DA2's problem was it being made super quick on a tight budget, so it probably did make a profit but that wasn't some big win for them. It sold a lot less than Origins and EA want big super hits, not break-even okay games. If 4 years, a massive budget and all this marketing can't make Inquisition sell at least more than Origins did I don't think EA will be very happy. Skyrim sales are the goal, and those were 4 or 5 times Origins' sales.

As long as EA keeps their Shareholder happy, and making money that is all BioWare/EA need to do. That is their only job.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I'd say Skyrim sales are the dream not the goal. No BIO game has sold more than 5mil (DA1 and ME3 wre the closest I think) so to have the actual legit goal be 20mil is silly talk and fantasy.

BIO games will never sell that many. Their fanbase simply isn't that big. PERIOD.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

In their heart of hearts I don't think even Bethesda believes they can replicate Skyrim sales.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As long as EA keeps their Shareholder happy, and making money that is all BioWare/EA need to do. That is their only job.

Their market strategy is betting big and expecting a huge return. Return on investment is what all these media companies rely on, not just making some kind of profit. Trust me, if this game sells 3-4 million it's a massive disappointment.

Their market strategy is betting big and expecting a huge return. Return on investment is what all these media companies rely on, not just making some kind of profit. Trust me, if this game sells 3-4 million it's a massive disappointment.

Sure, but they already bought Bioware. Little late for buyer's remorse.

Azarkon

Arcane
This has been a problem with BioWare games for a long time now, and with the quantity over quality they seemed to be going for this game. I dont see how it would be any different.

Sadly, instead of being praised for their brilliant itemization or encounter design in Baldur's Gate. Fans seemed to praise the characters and romances, instead of the previously mentioned stuff. Eventually this praising of the wrong things would lead to the modern BioWare.

The problem is they weren't responsible for a great deal of that. The D&D 2.5? ruleset was. D&D 3rd ed also wasn't that bad, which is why NWN, NWN 2, and the games of its generation weren't complete shit.

From the time Bioware abandoned D&D, they've sucked at itemization and encounter design. Same goes for Obsidian except Obsidian made a SPECIAL game in-between D&D and their own ruleset games.

The moment these CRPG designers get off the well-beaten path of tabletop rulesets, they flounder and are driven by corporate management into hybridizing action games. ME, Alpha Protocol, DA, they're all action-RPG hybrids and they all have the same style of AAA action gameplay backed by herp-derped systems. All those years of devs talking about how CRPGs are different from tabletops and needed their own rulesets, and this shit is what they come up with... It's the biggest joke of them all.

I still remember Bioware saying that they hired a full-time linguist to create new languages for the DA world. Instead of doing that, they ought to have hired a full-time game designer to come up with a ruleset that isn't 'cone of cold to win fuckers' and in DAI, not even that.

Telling the devs to go back to the basics isn't even hyperbole nowadays.

Last edited:

Athelas

Arcane
The problem is they weren't responsible for a great deal of that. The D&D 2.5? ruleset was. D&D 3rd ed also wasn't that bad, which is why NWN, NWN 2, and the games of its generation weren't complete shit.
Uhm, you might want to replay the NWN games to refresh those memories.

From the time Bioware abandoned D&D, they've sucked at itemization and encounter design. Same goes for Obsidian except Obsidian made a SPECIAL game in-between D&D and their own ruleset games.
I don't see how this helps your argument since SPECIAL wasn't a tabletop ruleset and it wasn't a very good system either.

The moment these CRPG designers get off the well-beaten path of tabletop rulesets, they flounder and are driven by corporate management into hybridizing action games. ME, Alpha Protocol, DA, they're all action-RPG hybrids and they all have the same style of AAA action gameplay backed by herp-derped systems. All those years of devs talking about how CRPGs are different from tabletops and needed their own rulesets, and this shit is what they come up with... It's the biggest joke of them all.
This comparison doesn't make sense. ME and Alpha Protocol are action games, what you do largely isn't affected by stats (and where it does, it's usually for the worse). The only proper comparison would be DA:O and the Infinity Engine games, which are both stat-based RPG's where you control a party.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom