Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't tell me an ancient medieval society as rigid and strict as the Qunari would accept a transgender person instead of stoning them to death.

i dont remember learning about rifts, mages and dragons in history books either. besides, qunari are based on communist ideal/platonic state: everyone is judged according to their usability and if tool is good it should not go to waste.

Well in that case it's just shameless retcon.

Here's what a DA:O Qunari have to say about women trying to be men:

AHAHAHA, Bioware debunked! Not that it is surprising that they can't even follow their own lore.

set

Cipher
that is the most hamfisted way to include flemeth in DA3
it is shameful
they took a perfectly good, mysterious witch lady and gave her a decent backstory...
and then, I mean it's good she was barely in DA2... but...
jesus fucking christ... thatt... that scene...
it's just bullshit
they're justmaking this all up off the top of their heads
they don't even try for consistency, for any logical narrative... what the flying fuck was that
they just keep pulling bullshit rabbits out of a bullshit hat, one mcguffin after the other after the other without even the hint of any forshadowing

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
That wasn't an obstacle for Bioware on other subjects, e.g. Leliana's death.

To be fair, in my game I killed Leliana and she told the DA3 protagonist that she was killed by the hero of Ferelden, but the Maker must have resurrected her because she woke up unharmed.

:lol: For real?

Obviously. The Maker is Gaider. He is the god of your world and will let no harm come unto his waifu.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
that is the most hamfisted way to include flemeth in DA3
it is shameful
they took a perfectly good, mysterious witch lady and gave her a decent backstory...
and then, I mean it's good she was barely in DA2... but...
jesus fucking christ... thatt... that scene...
it's just bullshit
they're justmaking this all up off the top of their heads
they don't even try for consistency, for any logical narrative... what the flying fuck was that

SPOILERZ but even in Origins they basically said her origins. The only thing that's happened is they clarified which "spirit" inhabited her.

skaraher

Cipher

not completely true. sex connects to roles and if someone changes his/her role, he/she get viewed and treated like a sex that corresponds to a role. so trans woman fighting is a man, because that is a man's role.

"We do not choose, we simply are."

it seems pretty straightforward to me.

Frozen

Arcane
So how is this elven spirit/god a witch and a dragon?
It seems Flemeth always pops out when they don't know what else to do.
Why and where was she going in DA2?
durp
wasn't she Asha'bellanar to elves in DA2 ?now she has a second elvish name

Sòren

Arcane
Don't tell me an ancient medieval society as rigid and strict as the Qunari would accept a transgender person instead of stoning them to death.

i dont remember learning about rifts, mages and dragons in history books either. besides, qunari are based on communist ideal/platonic state: everyone is judged according to their usability and if tool is good it should not go to waste.

Here's what a DA:O Qunari have to say about women trying to be men:

i hated DAO because it was a huge disappointment gameplay wise....but watching this actually makes me appreciate this game much more. those were more innocent times, when the retards hadn't fully discovered bioware yet and they didnt have to pay attention to some political bullshit.

Malpercio

Arcane
Actually I think Flemeth stuff may have been always planned (which is kinda weird for Bioware), I remember reading people speculating she was Mythal ever since DA2 (since she was resurrected at her shrine or something?)

What annoys me it that the game still did jack shit with Flemeth. It's 3 games and it still hasn't change much. Now we do but what she is, but the "mysteries" just keep piling up. It's not like it will keep me up at night, but it's quite annoying her subplot still doesn't have any conclusion. My OCD demands conclusion.

Actually it's quite funny than DA may had more "overarching narrative" planned than their actually trilogy (ME). :)

I suppose the consolitardation was the reason for not supporting save game importing. Disecting the dao and da2 savegame files can probably be programmed on a monday morning before lunch.
DRM more likely.

You are right, although it's quite funny since it's ineffective on console (as long you can connect to Origin it doesn't matter if your copy is legit or not)

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira

not completely true. sex connects to roles and if someone changes his/her role, he/she get viewed and treated like a sex that corresponds to a role. so trans woman fighting is a man, because that is a man's role.
You don't seem to realize how rigid the Qunari are described to be in the previous games. They are supposed to be like a muslim borg collective, people are born into their caste and work. You can't change your role because then you are no longer a part of the Qun. Bioware may have ruined them now but they used to be traditionalists to the max, taking their strict feudal societal structure very seriously. They never were utilitarian libtards.
a5b9ZNQ.jpg

Knut

Educated
They never were utilitarian libtards.

it is possible i might be wrong, i admit i never paid much attention to either DAO or DA2. but assigning roles to children according to affinities they display reeks of plato. i didn't even realize there were inheritable castes, seems kind of counter productive philosophy for someone striving to be maximally efficient.

either way, they are hardly libertarian, but it is good they retconned senseless shit then.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
it is good they retconned senseless shit then.

What? That's just stupid. A rigid caste system might be a flaw in their culture and perhaps inherently contradictory to outsiders when compared to their stated principles, but a competent writer would take that and spin a good yarn out of it, not pretend it was never written. I remember that in Origins, the Warden can even question Sten on the issue, and they do a little back and forth about pre-destined roles. It was not a matter of the culture being objectively right or wrong.

Really, if they wanted to go about retconning everything that was 'senseless shit', there are much better places to start. Like the darkspawn.

set

Cipher
Correct. One of the most interesting things about DAO was the Quanari - which is funny because you only ever meet one of them.

Malpercio

Arcane

What? That's just stupid. A rigid caste system might be a flaw in their culture and perhaps inherently contradictory to outsiders when compared to their stated principles, but a competent writer would take that and spin a good yarn out of it, not pretend it was never written. I remember that in Origins, the Warden can even question Sten on the issue, and they do a little back and forth about pre-destined roles. It was not a matter of the culture being objectively right or wrong.

Really, if they wanted to go about retconning everything that was 'senseless shit', there are much better places to start. Like the darkspawn.

What happened to darkspawns?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What happened to darkspawns?
Nothing. After you defeated the Blight in the first game, there won't be darkspawn problem for a few decade (century?).

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SPOILERZ but even in Origins they basically said her origins. The only thing that's happened is they clarified which "spirit" inhabited her.
This is true, earlier today when I was playing Origins I asked Leliana about Fereldan tales, she told the story of Flemeth and that she had summoned a demon while locked in that tower in Highever, which allowed her to break free and slaughter her former husband and all his men.

And 18 hours later I learn in the third installment what "demon" it actually was (even though everything regarding Mythal still pretty much steeped in mystery). What a day!

dryan

Arcane
This is true, earlier today when I was playing Origins I asked Leliana about Fereldan tales, she told the story of Flemeth and that she had summoned a demon while locked in that tower in Highever, which allowed her to break free and slaughter her former husband and all his men.

And 18 hours later I learn in the third installment what "demon" it actually was (even though everything regarding Mythal still pretty much steeped in mystery). What a day!
Are you some kind of masochist?

Telengard

Arcane
130 pages in a month. Be proud of yourself Codex.
Yes, the only game* which could possibly outdo its page number count is an official release of Rance IX - the game that is the Codex's destiny. The one game which satisfies all of the Codex's interests - anime, big boobs, tasteful rape, grafix!!!, and turn-based rpg combat. (listed in the order of priority, of course)

* Besides POE, of course

set

Cipher
I will still never understand how Sengoku Rance has better gameplay tha any recent RPG released by BioWare.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Indeed.

They mention the "dread wolf" quite a number of times in Origins as well, I believe. So the groundwork was laid for that stuff before, whether it's good or not.

Turjan

Arcane
So the groundwork was laid for that stuff before, whether it's good or not.
I guess this is more a case of "let's look at what stuff we talked about in DA:O and mention it in the new game, so we don't get all these complaints that we retcon all the lore like in DA2, plus we can say that we planned this all along!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom