Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online

Angthoron

Arcane
To be fair, WoW also had a launch trailer that wasn't about anything in particular. I think everyone's trying to ape Blizzard.

Zeriel

Arcane
To be fair, WoW also had a launch trailer that wasn't about anything in particular. I think everyone's trying to ape Blizzard.

And I remember wincing at how painfully dumb it was. The only cinematic intro I've seen to an MMO that I thought was sort of cool was Rift's, and I think that's because the subject matter was a little less straight-forward.

Data4

Arcane
I dunno... part of me wants to give it a fair run through, so I'm hesitant to paint a huge "BAN ME!" target on my back at the moment. I mean, if it's shit, let me find out definitively.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I lost any interest to mmos after trying TERA trial.

DraQ

Arcane
:hmmm:
Ok, can someone please fucking explain to me the logistics of the whole rope-bridge action?

WTF is the ruin/outcrop with the elves, why is it not fortified/used by the defenders instead of being major security hole, how did elves manage to set up there without getting nailed, and what with all the fucking nonsense in general?

Xavier0889

Learned
:hmmm:
Ok, can someone please fucking explain to me the logistics of the whole rope-bridge action?

WTF is the ruin/outcrop with the elves, why is it not fortified/used by the defenders instead of being major security hole, how did elves manage to set up there without getting nailed, and what with all the fucking nonsense in general?

It's an MMO. Don't try to explain too many things, because they will be fucked up by the players. It has been like that since U:O's failed attempt to have a real ecosystem, with dragons eating wolves and wolves eating sheep, but the first thing made by the players was killing every animal in the world.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
DraQ

they started developing this concurrently with an ongoing trend in the MMO scene favouring the 'old time' eras of MMOs..namely more open settings, sandboxy feels, and richer, meaningful faction PvP;
that the case, again during the time they started developing this, someone decided they could hire members of the old DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot) MMO, as even today it is one of the 2 'best' MMOs ever, the other being Ultima Online. So the trend goes. Why the DAoC devs? It sported 3 faction warfare, pseudo world-wide consequences according to war status, an ongoing alteration of a shard's status according to what its own players had achieved in the PvP element..so they decided that making a spin off of that while maintaining the style and lore of Elder Scrolls would be what would allow them to succeed where SWTOR failed (see new trend i mentioned above, SWTOR failed for reasons -other- than most of us here like to think)..the decision to form TESO as a 3 faction game is what brought along the alliances eventually, and the necessary lore butchering, as they needed to try back up the split somehow :)
the rest, be it mechanics or gameplay, is either your standard MMO fare (client-package limitations, etc etc OR what the 'fans of the genre' have come to 'expect') + gimmicks so as to attract the single player TES demographic..example being soft-aim combat..being an MMO developed with tab target combat, it was too late to change it all..so in order to make sure no one got alienated, they altered it so as to appear that combat aiming is done as in Skyrim; am mentioning this as what we get to see overall will be the necessary mixture of the MMO blend with the TES elements

hence the assured fuck up
(am trying to keep it dense, but willing to answer in detail any questions you may happen to have)

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
Data4 personally no, i am not signed up for its beta. I can get my journalist pass any old day i wish to, but i flat out refuse to touch this shit. I say no to derp everyday. If i flame something, i have my reasons, and i stick to them. Until proven otherwise. Have there been times where i had to button up and make a post saying i was wrong? Plenty.. happens :)

Data4

Arcane
I just got a mental image of Drizzt wearing a monocle and fondling Twinkle, whilst declaring "I have principles". If you suffered through Salvatore's Dark Elf novels (which, if you have principles, you probably didn't), you'd understand.

Sul

Savant
Meanwhile in Korea.

By the way, ArcheAge is coming to the west under the care of Trion (Rift, Defiance, End of Nations).

I just got a mental image of Drizzt wearing a monocle and fondling Twinkle, whilst declaring "I have principles". If you suffered through Salvatore's Dark Elf novels (which, if you have principles, you probably didn't), you'd understand.

I haven't (suffered through them :) ) I also had to google Twinkle.

Thank you for the clarification.

deuxhero

Arcane
Have we gotten any newer numbers on the budget? I eagerly await Bethesda going out on ToRtanic's sister ship.

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
That reminds me that the other day I was playing DAoC with some guildmates. One of them was relating his story of how he left the military to become a security guard and I could not stop myself from laughing hysterically. He took a bullet to the knee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom