Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game Awards 2021 - December 9th

ferratilis

Magister
This is the only AAA game I've had genuine fun with in quite a while. And it's not even nominated for GOTY at Game Awards lol.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I heard this is the first racing game in forever that is actually a lot of fun. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I will give it a shot at one point.

Ash

Arcane
Hey did anyone play Returnal? The devs made some p. decent games in the past. Curious about that one.

Gargaune

Magister
Man, did Deathloop ship with candy in the box? I gave it half an hour on YouTube and it looked plain boring, and I usually like Arkane's work. More pressingly, how did it get a Best Art Direction nomination over bloody Cyberpunk? I know CDPR's screwed up almost everything else, but eyecandy's the one great thing about Cyberpunk whereas Deathloop looks like Dishonored in a polyester tracksuit.

Best Debut Indie
[...]
The Forgotten City (Modern Storyteller/Dear Villagers)
Ah, this is the standalone version of the Skyrim mod. Good to see the fella pull through, I'm happy for him.

Best Community Support
[...]
No Man’s Sky (Hello Games)
lol

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, did Deathloop ship with candy in the box? I gave it half an hour on YouTube and it looked plain boring, and I usually like Arkane's work. More pressingly, how did it get a Best Art Direction nomination over bloody Cyberpunk? I know CDPR's screwed up almost everything else, but eyecandy's the one great thing about Cyberpunk whereas Deathloop looks like Dishonored in a polyester tracksuit.
Because niggers and wokeism

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Disco Elysium qualified for none of those in 2019 (didn't even get a console version until this year) and it was not only nominated but won in 2019. :M The judge panel must hate Russia or have an axe to grind against Pathfinder.

gee I wonder why the gaming media, who hates actual gameplay and wants games to push certain agendas, would prop up DE like this...

lycanwarrior

Scholar
iu

deathloop.jpg
Not exactly fair bc many of those user reviews are low bc of technical issues, framerate and, of course Denuvo. Much like on Steam.
Dishonored 2 used to have a lot of negative user reviews focused solely on optimization.

Oddly enough, the Steam reviews have been more positive:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1252330/DEATHLOOP/

I don't care either way since the game is not my cup of tea. But just goes to show that user reviews aren't always consistent or definitive.

Codex Year of the Donut
People say WotR is niche but its steam peak player number is more than Deathloop and It Takes Two combined. I think it's just the journals being oblivious, as they always are.
is this "lets pretend consoles don't exist and PC isn't actually the minority" hour?

Jutsun

Brytenwalda Studios
Developer
I don't care either way since the game is not my cup of tea. But just goes to show that user reviews aren't always consistent or definitive.
Well, it's usually like this. Public opinion is very inconsistent and fluctuates quite a lot. It's not consistent across platforms in the same way it isn't consistent across players because tastes vary.

And it's not definitive either because it can change over time, especially taking into account that nowadays games can change a lot in the course of a few patches.

In any case, I'm curious to know all you guys' opinion: do you think that the public reception and the reviews can help predict who will actually take the awards?

purupuru

Learned
is this "lets pretend consoles don't exist and PC isn't actually the minority" hour?
My point wasn't that WoTR is necessarily more popular than those two games (though I would bet it has sold better than Deathloop), only that it is not some super niche unknown game, but most likely one of the most successful crpgs in recent years, second only to DOS2.

El Presidente

Arcane
Won't lie, this forced praise for Deathloop just pushes me into feeling just as unearned aversion for it. Which is bad, it means that I'm still touched and somehow determined by this garbage.

But really, for anyone here who is into Arkane's stuff, imagine scoring that higher than Dishonored 2, giving it more accolades, saying how it's the culmination of their work. It's fake, dishonest, forced.
It's uh, you know... Dishonored?

:drink:

Ash

Arcane
These prestige-faking pompous awards are so narrow in scope (in terms of what games are considered candidates) they have no right to exist.

Boleskine

Arcane
"The Game Awards"

h99KREO.png

Geoff Keighley may be a nice guy but he's an absolutely soulless shill.

edit - LOL! I posted almost this exact same thing four years ago. I think my brain is rotting.

"The Video Game Awards"

XJp0DCw.jpg

Geoff Keighley seems a nice guy but he is a shameless corporate shill.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To conclude this, and expand on what “clashing concepts” means — Ken Levine and Ghost Story Games were considering revealing their IP as part of TGA, though, there was a turnaround in ideas, instead appointing their reveal for Q1, 2022; against the backdrop of an hour long panel

Levine forever changing his mind at the last minute.

Ah yes, Ken Levine’s “new” studio that has existed for a “mere” five years without announcing a single project.
Seriously, what the fuck are 2K doing keeping this devwing open? Total fucking nonsense.

And to think that FF3 died so Ken could become… this.
:negative:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
To conclude this, and expand on what “clashing concepts” means — Ken Levine and Ghost Story Games were considering revealing their IP as part of TGA, though, there was a turnaround in ideas, instead appointing their reveal for Q1, 2022; against the backdrop of an hour long panel

Levine forever changing his mind at the last minute.

More like rewriting his own game's entire story in two months after he heard the new Bioshock is taking inspiration from The City & The City.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom