Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Game Awards 2021 - December 9th

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Deathloop is just plain boring. Resident Evil declines a lot after the dragon boss. Shin Megami Tensei V is by far the best in the RPG section, should also be in game of the year and best music categories.

Ash

Arcane
Even the codexers who weren't repulsed by it said it was just average.
An average immersive sim is still an immersive sim meaning still better than practically everything ever released.

no.png
fakenews.png
cuck.png
rating_shit.png
rating_retarded.png
decline.png

True Immersive Sims (Deus Ex, Arx, UUW, System Shock 2), sure. Magnificent.
The average immersive sim however is completely mediocre and homogenized, worth less than even the average goddamn Mario Bros. game, for all its design has smart, respectable purpose and synergy while the average immersive sim does not.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Deathloop is just plain boring. Resident Evil declines a lot after the dragon boss. Shin Megami Tensei V is by far the best in the RPG section, should also be in game of the year and best music categories.

The west lost all sense for art. Don't even bother.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Owlcat must be seething that they were snubbed for that lineup. Two Bandai Namco mediocrities but not them. :lol:

Deathloop is absolutely the best game on that list in all the categories it was nominated for except score and sound design.
How /pol/cucks can throw the immersive sim genre under the bus to seethe in an overreaction to "identity politics" is beyond me.

My negative assessment of Deathloop came when I saw a gameplay video showcasing its extremely awful AI.

:thisisfine: -- you

Suck feminine penis until you get aids and still not get the media attention you crave. Fitting.

Riskbreaker

Won't lie, this forced praise for Deathloop just pushes me into feeling just as unearned aversion for it. Which is bad, it means that I'm still touched and somehow determined by this garbage.

But really, for anyone here who is into Arkane's stuff, imagine scoring that higher than Dishonored 2, giving it more accolades, saying how it's the culmination of their work. It's fake, dishonest, forced.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Shit list of Nominees. But if I had to pick from that list:
GOT: Metroid Dread.
Game Direction: Nothing because the category makes no fucking sense.
Best Narrative: Probably Psychonauts or Guardians cause their other nominations are shit.
Best Art Direction: Nothing in that list is unique. Psychonauts is a sequel.
Best Score: Nier Replicant.
Best Audio: Probably Forza Horizon 5 because it has raytraced audio.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Won't lie, this forced praise for Deathloop just pushes me into feeling just as unearned aversion for it. Which is bad, it means that I'm still touched and somehow determined by this garbage.

But really, for anyone here who is into Arkane's stuff, imagine scoring that higher than Dishonored 2, giving it more accolades, saying how it's the culmination of their work. It's fake, dishonest, forced.
Eighteen perfect scores. There's no way that is remotely true. Presstitutes know that we know that they don't play these games they shill, so what else are their lies for than to conceal? What are they hiding? A bad game. Its not as if one can trust codex, either. There are shills for trash games here, like apparently nuArkane can count on Alexander DeLarge.

toughasnails

You guys aren't being too reasonable...
Look at this in its proper context. This was a p poor year in terms of AAA releases, even poorer than the last. You need to see Deathloop's scores and possible awards in that context, it's a polished AAA next gen Sony exclusive released during a drought, and it's an immersive sim with a innovative gimmick compared to being a more generic AAA FPS or RPG. Is it a better game than Dishonoreds or Prey and deserving of better scores if they were directly compared and released at the same time? No. But does it deserve these scores and awards in the time and situation it was released in? Kinda. It's all contextual...
By comparison Metroid Dread is much more niche in appeal and comes from a genre (metroidvanias) that is excessively well served by indie developers.

dacencora

You guys aren't being too reasonable...
Look at this in its proper context. This was a p poor year in terms of AAA releases, even poorer than the last. You need to see Deathloop's scores and possible awards in that context, it's a polished AAA next gen Sony exclusive released during a drought, and it's an immersive sim with a innovative gimmick compared to being a more generic AAA FPS or RPG. Is it a better game than Dishonoreds or Prey and deserving of better scores if they were directly compared and released at the same time? No. But does it deserve these scores and awards in the time and situation it was released in? Kinda. It's all contextual...
By comparison Metroid Dread is much more niche in appeal and comes from a genre (metroidvanias) that is excessively well served by indie developers.
Ah yes, the very niche developer known as Nintendo.

toughasnails

Compared to another Zelda title or another Mario with its pop cultural pull, yeah Metroid is p niche. Especially another old school, faux 2D one.

As I’ve said before Deathloop is much worse than the press reviews indicate, but complaining about identity politics in it is silly; it’s the least PC AAA game I’ve played in ages. But, yeah 6.5/10 seems about right.

dacencora

Compared to another Zelda title or another Mario with its pop cultural pull, yeah Metroid is p niche. Especially another old school, faux 2D one.
Metroidvanias have made a huge comeback. I don't think Metroid or Castlevania are "niche" titles, at all. And beyond that, this is a (shitty) awards show to showcase which game is best in class, not which one is the most normie-appealing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Deathloop is just plain boring.
I know zero about this game and see a ton of hype around it. Is it a game made by and for black people?
It's old school console in its premise i.e. you have to kill a number of people and have a limited number of lives to do it; if you lose your lives, you start over. Time passes whenever you load another area and if you don't kill everyone you're required to within the time limit, you start over. No quicksaving or loading to a previous save (unless you're manually backing them up). In order to make casuals/normies/journos not rage quit over this, there's only one difficulty level and most enemies are brain dead (see video posted, though they have allegedly improved it) so it is not old school console at all when it comes to difficulty. The main character is a black guy because Black Panther made a billion dollars, proving that predominantly white audiences won't avoid something just because it has a black main character. Journos like it for these reasons.

toughasnails

Not exactly fair bc many of those user reviews are low bc of technical issues, framerate and, of course Denuvo. Much like on Steam.
Dishonored 2 used to have a lot of negative user reviews focused solely on optimization.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Even though I want to vote Psychonauts 2 at every possible opportunity, I'm not gonna sign up anywhere, just for that.

Codex Year of the Donut
"push gaming media forward"
*lists a bunch of sequels or blatant copies of games that the devs already made and are essentially sequels*

The Wrath of the Righteous snub does really seem intentional. I know it was disappointing to a lot of Codexers, but regardless of that it’s certainly on par or better than the games that did get nominated.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom