Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Iron Oath - turn-based strategy RPG with awesome pixel art

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Yeahhh...fuck these Devs and xir game. DROPPED! If your company is working on normalizing insanity, and contributing to fall of Western Civilization, you're dead to me

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
sennin What are your pronouns, fucker?
Why you haven't posted on Codex since January 2021? Too damaging to your company's social credit score? Fuck your company, fuck your pronouns and fuck #MadClownWorldOrder

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Based devs saw that Codexers too busy being complete idiots in BG3 thread and licking OwlCat's ass in Wottr thread and thought: "Hmm, what will make these losers to talk about our game? Let's add weird pronoun to character creation! This action will guarantee weeks of butthurt screaming in thread and will bump it constantly!"

And seems their scheme working!

Fucking incline, now I should make sure to stockpile on popcorn for several next weeks of codexers proclaiming how they hate transgenders, yet spending shitload of hours to discuss sizes of cocks (or whatever gay shit some codexers peddle these days, while pretending being "righteous warriors for quality in games and media")

Harthwain

Magister
Based devs saw that Codexers too busy being complete idiots in BG3 thread and licking OwlCat's ass in Wottr thread and thought: "Hmm, what will make these losers to talk about our game? Let's add weird pronoun to character creation! This action will guarantee weeks of butthurt screaming in thread and will bump it constantly!"

And seems their scheme working!

Fucking incline, now I should make sure to stockpile on popcorn for several next weeks of codexers proclaiming how they hate transgenders, yet spending shitload of hours to discuss sizes of cocks (or whatever gay shit some codexers peddle these days, while pretending being "righteous warriors for quality in games and media")
"Based devs"? I doubt developers add features specifically with Codex in mind. If anything this could be the modern form of PR camouflage by the developers: "If we add pronouns we won't be target of the mainstream media and the average players don't really care about them so we'll do this slight change and won't bother with it anymore".

Ironmonk

Augur
1) Or it can be a signal that tell us that they fully embrace woke culture and probably will not stop with just this pronoums nonsense...

2) The "too much text" that some codexers said the demo have already was a bad omen for me, because, generally, the more these game devs/writers write, more boring shit will be there. (I lost much of my interest for RPGs because I can't stand anymore those Wall of Texts that are either meaningless or trash or both)

And 1 + 2 = Me not buying it, neither pirating... There is too much games and too little time, I don't need this... fuck them.

And the funny thing is, this woke garbage can't be taken seriously as PR move right? Because these woke crowd ... they don't buy games, they don't pirate games, hell... they probably don't even play games at all because they spend their whole time doing their activists thing on twitter or other garbage social media.

I think they loose much more sales by converting to wokism.

Don't want to trigger them? Be smart and make a game in a way that you avoid both angering those that don't want this shit or provoking the retards on twitter looking for the next target.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And the funny thing is, this woke garbage can't be taken seriously as PR move right? Because these woke crowd ... they don't buy games, they don't pirate games, hell... they probably don't even play games at all because they spend their whole time doing their activists thing on twitter or other garbage social media.
Yet somehow on the Codex the only people who spend all their time fighting the culture war are the conservative snowflakes.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you implying we should fight the culture war by founding stable families and having children?

Nah, shitposting is easier.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
The demo does not give me hope towards the final product unless quite a few fundamental aspects change.
  • No in game reference card or encyclopedia so make sure to remember everything told to you by the tutorial.
  • Dialog does not need to be this verbose or even have options if most conversations only have one.
  • This game is more of an endurance test. You will run out of resources eventually so resource management is a huge priority.
  • Positioning matters too much in this game, which combined with the procedurally generated combat rooms, encourages save scumming until you arrive into a favorable environment.
  • UI needs major improvement. Why make most menus require the mouse if there are only shortcuts instead of buttons? Why does HP have small numbers in the character portrait while spirit has an entire bar?
  • Needlessly high HP. This is not a JRPG why does everything start off in the thousands?
  • It is not immediately apparent what effects will be cleansed by special abilities. You need to open up a separate menu to read the full description as the toolbar only provides a brief summary. Apparently the dev decided only dialog deserves to be verbose.
I could see this being a fun game but all the issues I listed will make this game more tedious than fun.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Q&A on Discord

the-iron-Oath.png

the-iron-Oath-1.png

the-iron-Oath-2.png

the-iron-Oath-3.png

Waterd

Augur
I've tried the demo, and I've not been this hyped about an upcoming RPG release since KOTC2, and before that....i don't know if i can think of one. I hope it delivers what it promises. It tries to be an actual game instead of just a toylike experience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I've tried the demo, and I've not been this hyped about an upcoming RPG release since KOTC2, and before that....i don't know if i can think of one. I hope it delivers what it promises. It tries to be an actual game instead of just a toylike experience.
Given the more thorough postings of impressions were much less favorable, can you go into some detail about what has you hyped?

I was cautiously enthused based on the original demo, but that enthusiasm has dried up reading that in the intervening time it is.. essentially the same. With no actual demonstration of any of the systems that separate it from a TBT dungeon combat game.. with good pixel art.

Waterd

Augur
Given the more thorough postings of impressions were much less favorable, can you go into some detail about what has you hyped?

I was cautiously enthused based on the original demo, but that enthusiasm has dried up reading that in the intervening time it is.. essentially the same. With no actual demonstration of any of the systems that separate it from a TBT dungeon combat game.. with good pixel art.
It's the first Tactical RPG that is Turn based and party based with a fantasy theme, that tries to be an actual strategy game for what i see.
Decisions are intended to be decision , exploring, disarming traps, how long it takes to win combat, everthing seems to cost time and time seems to have a cost in different aspects.
You see this in Board game RPG like kingdom death monster, you see this in some rougelikes with no party or some weird rpg like darkest dungeon with no tactical combat.
But I can't think of any other single Tactical RPG video game that is party based, turn based and in fantasy that does this.

Trying to be an actualy strategy game is already rare in the RPG VIDEO GAME world (For some reason it's extremly common in the board game world), your actions positive/neutral have no cost. The few that do generally are not fantasy that is my favorite genere, tough i would argue even XCOM fails at some points at this. Battle brothers kinda of fails at to. Both kinda of have ways to take infinite time to do some things or allow you to do positive actions with no cost. In xcom slugfest through fights with no consequence ,in Battle brothers Grind Quest for loot with almost no risk and no consequence.
I don't know if this is gonna be that different, but at least based on the demo, the fact that the longer you take to win a fight the more the time passes and the more the time passes the more negative consequences you recieve POINT to trying to do that.
During the demo at least they made me feel that everythign was a decision with positive/negative.
IF they succesfully permeate the game completly with that, it may be the first Videogame RPG that is tactical positional, party based in a fantasy world that i know do this.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/posts/3445074

Next Fest wrap up, player survey, and upcoming changes

0ed26f4aa84fd6e3195da21e63b07676_original.png

Hello backers! With Steam Next Fest now behind us, we wanted to give a big thank you for all your support during the event! In total, our demo was downloaded over 12,000 times, and with that came a lot of great feedback and encouragement! Your continued support means so much, and we're glad that the demo was overall well received :)

Although the event is over, we are planning to leave the demo up for a while longer to ensure that everyone has a chance to play it.

If you have played the demo, we would love to hear from you! We've created a short survey (no more than a few minutes) to help us gauge the general consensus on the game's difficulty and a few of its mechanics. It would mean a lot of you could take the time to fill it out! You can find it here.

Over the last week, we've made quite a number of changes to the game on our end, some of which we were already planning to do, some of which were based on user suggestions. The change-log is as follows:
  • Improved descriptions for ability tooltips: Many of our tooltips were not finalized and admittedly quite rough. We've re-written many of them, and they should now be more clear.
  • Level 1 characters now begin with 2 abilities from their class: We had always intended for it to work this way, but hadn't gotten around to it until now. As a character levels up, they will gain access to the other 4 abilities for their class (levels 3,5,7 and 10). This will give the player a better sense of progression with their mercenaries, making their deaths much more meaningful as well.
9a581f1769e63184ae654ed966671468_original.png

• Changed the way 'Ability Charges' are displayed: As you can see above, we've changed the way we display an ability's remaining charges. It's a bit more intuitive this way, and a little easier to see compared to the number that used to be displayed there.
  • Channeled abilities previewed in the turn order: When hovering or selecting a channeled ability, you will now see an indicator in the turn order that lets you know where the ability will finish channeling. Hopefully this clears up any confusion about how channeling works!
13664286e4b9511e7dddf888269a6be1_original.png

• Channeled ability danger zones: Some channeled abilities that targeted multiple cells could be hard to keep track of or anticipate if you weren't already aware of what the ability did. Channeled abilities from enemies will now show which cells will be affected, using the same graphic that currently indicates 'danger' from environmental hazards like falling rocks.
ef603d5aca2122b1bb09cf1e50ce8446_original.png

• Tweaked the Stormcaller's Cyclone ability: For some time now, we've felt this ability was extremely situational, and its outcome too unpredictable. It now functions as more of an escape ability that allows the Stormcaller to "ride the lightning" (sorry I couldn't resist!) to the target cell. Any targets along the path are pushed aside, and you're now able to control which side they get pushed to.
  • Other minor ability tweaks: We won't list them all, but a few other abilities have been slightly tweaked (some nerfs, some buffs, some bugfixes). The Pyrolancer's Wildfire now spreads instantly across 3 cells (instead of staggered over multiple turns), and the Huntress' Overwatch ability can now hit up to 2 targets before the channel breaks.
  • Changes to Flanking: In addition to Flanked targets receiving more damage, they are now unable to Evade. This makes flanking more important when trying to finish off enemies with basic attacks (an important tactic to conserve charges), and gives the player more strategic control over Evasion RNG.
  • Damage Previews on Healthbars: When targeting enemies, you can now get a better idea of how much damage they will take. You won't need to do math to see if a killing blow will occur :)
89276ef85e69c1c6a14b7b30f4f9b306_original.gif

• Bug fixes: The majority of bugs that were reported on Steam and our Discord have been fixed on our end - thank you all for your reports! Quick note that these changes are not live in the demo build (as it's a bit complicated to go back and update), though we may try to push one update before release.
----

There's still more balance, UI and Quality of Life changes we plan to do between now and release, but we wanted to share the improvements we've made this past week while the demo is still fresh in your minds. Hopefully you all like the changes!

What's next?

Our release date announcement trailer is just around the corner, so stay tuned for that! In the meantime, we invite you to join our growing Discord server where we are almost always available to answer your questions and discuss the game in general. Thank you, and see you next time!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...th-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg/posts/3457360

The Iron Oath enters Early Access on April 19th!

Hello backers! We can finally reveal what we've been so secretive about for the last few months: The Iron Oath will be releasing into Early Access on April 19th!

Check out our new trailer below!

Early Access
As many of you know, this was always an ambitious project. We've poured years of work and passion into The Iron Oath, and while development wasn't always as smooth or fast as we would have preferred, we're both very happy with how the game has turned out. With that said, there is more work yet to be done before we can call it complete.

Player feedback will play an important role in this next phase of development, which is why we've chosen to release into Early Access. With the demos we've released over the years, we've already seen how valuable community feedback can be, and we're looking forward to continuing that relationship with you all as we add new features and content into the game.

Kickstarter Rewards
Before getting into details here, please be sure to fill out your BackerKit survey if you haven't already done so! There are currently 89 backers who haven't completed it. Doing so is necessary to ensure you get your game key(s) when they are automatically sent out through BackerKit.

For those who requested DRM-free keys through Humble, we unfortunately won't be able to fulfill that request as Humble's storefront can't support DRM-free for an EA title. We will most likely be launching on GOG however, so if you had requested a DRM-free key, it will be delivered on GOG instead. We will leave the BackerKit surveys open for another week roughly, so if you wanted to change your platform choice, now is the time! We'll follow up in another post at a later date about when you can expect your keys.

During the course of Early Access, we will begin to implement the in-game rewards (such as the Corpse's Journal). We would prefer to handle all of it through Discord as it would be the easiest and most efficient way for us. Each reward has a dedicated backer channel for discussion and submitting your ideas (if you don't have access to the channels, please send us a message in Discord and we'll sort out your Discord Role). Other rewards such as the digital manual will be fulfilled when the game releases into 1.0, which we expect to be roughly 1 year after EA begins.

Closed Beta Reward

Because we're not launching into 1.0, we won't be having a traditional beta period. We do plan to make this up to you so you get your money's worth. For starters, we will be giving you access to an updated version of the demo (this weekend) with all the newest changes we've recently made, giving you a chance to check it out and give your feedback on it.

Throughout early access, you will also be able to play every new major update in advance through a beta branch, helping us to fine tune mechanics and content before we push it live to the public. We are planning our first major update to come out at the end of May, so you won't have to wait long to get access.

If you're a Beta Backer, we encourage you to join our Discord so you can take part in the discussions in the private channel. If you pledged for beta access but don't see the channel, please message us on Discord so we can assign you the appropriate role.
---

Lastly, we want to give a heartfelt thanks to each of you for backing our game and starting us on this journey. Your support over the years has been amazing and we can't wait until you finally get your hands on the game. It has been a long five (ugh!) years, so thank you for being with us every step of the way :)

Please help spread the word, and stay tuned for more updates as we count down towards release!

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
is anyone paying enough attention to know if they've at least released a video really diving into the strategy layer, multiple generations and bands of mercenaries, that kind of thing?

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
is anyone paying enough attention to know if they've at least released a video really diving into the strategy layer, multiple generations and bands of mercenaries, that kind of thing?

Hopefully we'll have much more free roam content, but the lack of that in the launch trailer (beyond just moving the token around) is worrying. April 19th isn't that far, so we'll see soon enough.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Women being perfect 50% of elite mercenary fighting force in fantasy world with its foundation being our world, always pulls me out from immersion. It's not true in our world, it wouldn't be true in parallel universe. No matter how much high fantasy. I study law, work in construction and have family in military. 95% of all serious, dangerous work and risk-taking is always done by men. It's not sexist, it's truth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom