Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Crooked Bee, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Did you copy that from the Gamespot review?
    Like I said, those who have played the games and the LIARS are obvious to tell apart.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    You are not even real Rean, just shitty chinese copy.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  4. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Nigger, i first played it even before it was released in the west with auto translator.

^ Top  
  5. CyberModuled Savant

CyberModuled
    Falcom set the bar pretty high for themselves so going from og trilogy to Cold Steel (Geofront wasn't a thing at the time and I wasn't aware of the older PSP emulation translations), only made me dislike Cold Steel 1 even more than I would've under normal circumstances.

Unfortunately I was retarded enough to beat CS2 after because I already owned a copy and was hoping in vain that it might hit SC highs because CS1 could've just been growing pains for Falcom. I can't say I was very impressed with that either though when most of it was goddamn filler that barley matters in the context of the main story so the one thing CS1 had going for it (its ending) felt wasted. Plus at the end of the day, just like SC, it is essentially just one giant sequel expansion for CS1 which meant I played more fucking CS1 with some tweaks.

For all I know, maybe CS3 and 4 are masterpieces that completely change my viewpoint on this particular arc. I'm not willing to find out first hand anytime soon though after already wasting close to 200 hours on two games I disliked.

^ Top  
  6. Jermu Learned

Jermu
    CS 1-2 are easily the worst games in Trails series, 3-4 are a lot better and I enjoyed playing those.
    Tits2>Ao>Zero/tits1>tits3/CS4>CS3>>>>>>>CS1>CS2

On the other hand I have played CS1-CS4 only once and tits1-2 5 or 6 times

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tehdagah Arcane

Tehdagah
    By the time it gets a Steam release the game will be free on Epic.

^ Top  
  8. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I think my love of the Zemuria setting as a whole, and in particular the events of the Crossbell duology, enhanced my enjoyment of CS1 much more than it would have coming straight off 3rd. Something about getting to see the events from Zero and Azure unfold from a totally different perspective was kind of a magical moment in gaming for me. I hate school settings, and the overall tone of CS1 was off-putting as a result, but the gameplay was fun enough and the introduction to Erebonia intriguing enough that I managed to have a fun time with what I feel is the weakest entry in the series. Luckily CS1 is the only one where the school setting is present enough to mar my enjoyment a bit. Besides that, CS3 has such a unique perspective with Rean being put in the instructor roll that I enjoyed it way more. CS2 and 4 are barely "school" games at all.

My opinions on CS2 on the other hand are definitely considered abnormal, because it was the game that actually made me come to accept and truly love the CS games. The structure, tone, characters, events, and overall gameplay as a result of the tweaks to the former elements made me have a great time. To this day I get a little confused at the hate it gets, but as I've said before in the thread, titles like 3rd, CS2, CS4, and to some extent Azure get special love from me in how they tend to shake up the series formula and presentation in interesting ways.

Regardless, I'm not here to convince anyone to play games they don't want to. I just get a little surprised that the attachment to the setting and getting to see events unfold in it in any form isn't enough to draw some people in despite some flaws. That's ultimately what makes the flaws of most of the games in the entire Trails series much easier overlooked or endured for me.

If you're referring to the upcoming Trails titles, they aren't Epic exclusives, so no.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    ^ Top  
  9. Sarathiour Savant

Sarathiour
    By the way i finished CS4 last week.

Show Spoiler
    Pretty good conclusion to the story, mega-curse due to a god-like being is a lazy trope, lazy trope tend to be the bread and butter of jrpg anyway. My main grip was how awkward it was to reload the last save to get to see the grand master doing a cliffhanger

Lot of improvement gameplay wise compared to CS3, but the game is unfortunately way too easy, DK battle were the only moment in the game were i felt menaced. It's a shame, because disorders were interesting, and boss tend to had more nasty thing up their sleeves
    Show Spoiler
    all cancel, BO cancel, BP drain to name a few
    , but are not doing enough damage to be threatening, apart from the occasional burst due to a S-craft, which is most of the time heavily predictable.

I'm following a bit the modding community, another difficulty balance mod is on his way, and also few thing like extend craft set for the old cast character (liberl & crossbell) . Will probably give it another spin before 2023.

^ Top  
  10. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    My chief gripe with the 4 ending was:

Show Spoiler
    Crow and Millium remaining alive and well.

One thing i really liked about it was:

Show Spoiler
    Jurai and North Ambrai remaining under Erebonian control despite the unfortunate loss of Crossbell. Plus I liked Rean and Ozzie developing a proper father/son relationship.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    ^ Top  
  11. Ysaye Savant

Ysaye
    Show Spoiler
    Well technically they (Crow and Millium) also died as per the first ending - it is "Trails into the Reverie" more complicated than just the second ending. Did you also see the bonus Ouroboros bit after reloading the save game once more?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
    Yeah, i saw that bit, which i would've missed had the guide i was using didn't mention it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sarathiour Savant

Sarathiour
    Apparently, portal is cannon.

^ Top  
  14. Maxie Guest

Maxie
    beat Ao, took me 80h
    it's a pretty neat game but I'd say the sheer length of the climax kinda robs it of its strength
    kinda liked Zero better because it was more low-key, Ao also introduces the giant robot sub-plot which makes me roll my eyes everytime

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. normie Arcane Patron Zionist Agent

normie
    Insert Title Here
    my exact feelings on the matter

emotionally, Ao climaxed with Garcia, after that it was a sloggg - the villains were weak, all the resolutions goofy and just-so

and out of all people, why the fuck does Wald get to style as a knight instead of being sent to the pokey?

^ Top  
  16. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Show Spoiler
    I have a sneaking suspicion that the Grandmaster is either Aidios, or some kind of projection of her ala Cleste D. Auslese in the Recluse Cube. The talk of the world only having 3 years left to exist before everything is plunged back into primordial nothingness, and then the talk about what essentially sounds like a world rebirth in the Eternal Recurrence plan increased my suspicion further. Pretty exciting! And if I'm not mistaken, the Grandmaster is the woman featured on the cover art of Hajimari, so should be playing a bigger role in that game too.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Finally getting back into this, Cold Steel 1 is growing on me, however the weird pervinessis is offputting. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with fanservice and lewdness in my games but these characters don't seem real to me.

On the one hand these dorks are surrounded by hot babes and none of them is even thinking of asking them out or trying to get in their pants, but the teacher keeps cock-teasing Rean and then everyone yells at him because he isn't interested in fucking his step sister.

What is with these games and the quasi-incest storylines? Elise better not get stuck in a washing machine.

Rean is otherwise kind of bland, he feels like someone tried to write lines for a silent protagonist, so they ended up with the most generic, laid-back, goody-goody JRPG main ever. Not that an emo brooder would be any better, but he could probably just not say anything and still be fine. The only times he makes me laugh is whenever he roasts Sara.

^ Top  
  18. Kaivokz Arcane

Kaivokz
    He develops a little more personality in the second game but it’s still bland. If he would just have a drink or show any indication that the gravity of what is happening in the world around him is at all reflected in his internal life, he would be a much better character.

It’s like they sent a boy to war, but the boy returned a boy and not a man despite doing all of the things that generally transforms boys to men.

I can’t speak to 3 and 4 as I haven’t played them yet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    ... Ok.

Anyway, are you saying you wouldn't be interested in fucking your stepsister if she was hot? Only if you have a non-functioning dick and no test, I suppose, sure.

Sorry to burst your bubble Jenny, but 100% of all human bloodlines descend from incestuous ancestors. That's how biology works.
    And you have a problem with a non-blood-related relationship because the two individuals grew up together.

Getting real tired of all these 2021 FAGGOTS.

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Is Rean really making a case for incest in a jrpg thread? holy shit dude, why do i waste my time in the grpg forum. Shits wild on this side of the fence.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    [​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Imagine not fucking liking Elise.

^ Top  
  23. Kaivokz Arcane

Kaivokz
    Do you have a sister? Alternatively, do you like fucking your mom?

Unrelated question: How much Freud have you been reading lately?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Rean The only Rean Patron

Rean
    Strap Yourselves In
    Fucked them all already.
    You're next, since you obviously have a pussy.

^ Top  
  25. Grampy_Bone Arcane

Grampy_Bone
    Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
    Normal people think it's weird. Because it is.

Also, this is not even the first step-cest plotline in a Trails game. Okay, you want to explore that avenue, fine, but is this a defining feature of the series or something?

It kinda reminds me how Persona 4 had some normal relationships along with some baggage, then Persona 5 half the social links are taboo older milfs of one flavor or another.

This is a strange timeline.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.