Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Did you copy that from the Gamespot review?
Like I said, those who have played the games and the LIARS are obvious to tell apart.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reinhardt got into Trails in the Sky literally 6 weeks ago.

tenor.gif

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Too bad people will miss three good Cold Steel games just because the first game put them off.
Falcom set the bar pretty high for themselves so going from og trilogy to Cold Steel (Geofront wasn't a thing at the time and I wasn't aware of the older PSP emulation translations), only made me dislike Cold Steel 1 even more than I would've under normal circumstances.

Unfortunately I was retarded enough to beat CS2 after because I already owned a copy and was hoping in vain that it might hit SC highs because CS1 could've just been growing pains for Falcom. I can't say I was very impressed with that either though when most of it was goddamn filler that barley matters in the context of the main story so the one thing CS1 had going for it (its ending) felt wasted. Plus at the end of the day, just like SC, it is essentially just one giant sequel expansion for CS1 which meant I played more fucking CS1 with some tweaks.

For all I know, maybe CS3 and 4 are masterpieces that completely change my viewpoint on this particular arc. I'm not willing to find out first hand anytime soon though after already wasting close to 200 hours on two games I disliked.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
CS 1-2 are easily the worst games in Trails series, 3-4 are a lot better and I enjoyed playing those.
Tits2>Ao>Zero/tits1>tits3/CS4>CS3>>>>>>>CS1>CS2

On the other hand I have played CS1-CS4 only once and tits1-2 5 or 6 times

Jinn

Arcane
Falcom set the bar pretty high for themselves so going from og trilogy to Cold Steel (Geofront wasn't a thing at the time and I wasn't aware of the older PSP emulation translations), only made me dislike Cold Steel 1 even more than I would've under normal circumstances.

I think my love of the Zemuria setting as a whole, and in particular the events of the Crossbell duology, enhanced my enjoyment of CS1 much more than it would have coming straight off 3rd. Something about getting to see the events from Zero and Azure unfold from a totally different perspective was kind of a magical moment in gaming for me. I hate school settings, and the overall tone of CS1 was off-putting as a result, but the gameplay was fun enough and the introduction to Erebonia intriguing enough that I managed to have a fun time with what I feel is the weakest entry in the series. Luckily CS1 is the only one where the school setting is present enough to mar my enjoyment a bit. Besides that, CS3 has such a unique perspective with Rean being put in the instructor roll that I enjoyed it way more. CS2 and 4 are barely "school" games at all.

My opinions on CS2 on the other hand are definitely considered abnormal, because it was the game that actually made me come to accept and truly love the CS games. The structure, tone, characters, events, and overall gameplay as a result of the tweaks to the former elements made me have a great time. To this day I get a little confused at the hate it gets, but as I've said before in the thread, titles like 3rd, CS2, CS4, and to some extent Azure get special love from me in how they tend to shake up the series formula and presentation in interesting ways.

Regardless, I'm not here to convince anyone to play games they don't want to. I just get a little surprised that the attachment to the setting and getting to see events unfold in it in any form isn't enough to draw some people in despite some flaws. That's ultimately what makes the flaws of most of the games in the entire Trails series much easier overlooked or endured for me.

By the time it gets a Steam release the game will be free on Epic.

If you're referring to the upcoming Trails titles, they aren't Epic exclusives, so no.

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
By the way i finished CS4 last week.

Pretty good conclusion to the story, mega-curse due to a god-like being is a lazy trope, lazy trope tend to be the bread and butter of jrpg anyway. My main grip was how awkward it was to reload the last save to get to see the grand master doing a cliffhanger

Lot of improvement gameplay wise compared to CS3, but the game is unfortunately way too easy, DK battle were the only moment in the game were i felt menaced. It's a shame, because disorders were interesting, and boss tend to had more nasty thing up their sleeves
all cancel, BO cancel, BP drain to name a few
, but are not doing enough damage to be threatening, apart from the occasional burst due to a S-craft, which is most of the time heavily predictable.

I'm following a bit the modding community, another difficulty balance mod is on his way, and also few thing like extend craft set for the old cast character (liberl & crossbell) . Will probably give it another spin before 2023.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
My chief gripe with the 4 ending was:

Crow and Millium remaining alive and well.

One thing i really liked about it was:

Jurai and North Ambrai remaining under Erebonian control despite the unfortunate loss of Crossbell. Plus I liked Rean and Ozzie developing a proper father/son relationship.

Last edited:

Ysaye

Arbiter

Jurai and North Ambrai remaining under Erebonian control despite the unfortunate loss of Crossbell. Plus I liked Rean and Ozzie developing a proper father/son relationship.

Well technically they (Crow and Millium) also died as per the first ending - it is "Trails into the Reverie" more complicated than just the second ending. Did you also see the bonus Ouroboros bit after reloading the save game once more?

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In

Well technically they (Crow and Millium) also died as per the first ending - it is "Trails into the Reverie" more complicated than just the second ending. Did you also see the bonus Ouroboros bit after reloading the save game once more?
Yeah, i saw that bit, which i would've missed had the guide i was using didn't mention it.

Sarathiour

Cipher

Apparently, portal is cannon.

Maxie

beat Ao, took me 80h
it's a pretty neat game but I'd say the sheer length of the climax kinda robs it of its strength
kinda liked Zero better because it was more low-key, Ao also introduces the giant robot sub-plot which makes me roll my eyes everytime

9GsY0OI.jpg

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
sheer length of the climax kinda robs it of its strength

kinda liked Zero better
my exact feelings on the matter

emotionally, Ao climaxed with Garcia, after that it was a sloggg - the villains were weak, all the resolutions goofy and just-so

and out of all people, why the fuck does Wald get to style as a knight instead of being sent to the pokey?

Jinn

Arcane

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Grandmaster is either Aidios, or some kind of projection of her ala Cleste D. Auslese in the Recluse Cube. The talk of the world only having 3 years left to exist before everything is plunged back into primordial nothingness, and then the talk about what essentially sounds like a world rebirth in the Eternal Recurrence plan increased my suspicion further. Pretty exciting! And if I'm not mistaken, the Grandmaster is the woman featured on the cover art of Hajimari, so should be playing a bigger role in that game too.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Finally getting back into this, Cold Steel 1 is growing on me, however the weird pervinessis is offputting. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with fanservice and lewdness in my games but these characters don't seem real to me.

On the one hand these dorks are surrounded by hot babes and none of them is even thinking of asking them out or trying to get in their pants, but the teacher keeps cock-teasing Rean and then everyone yells at him because he isn't interested in fucking his step sister.

What is with these games and the quasi-incest storylines? Elise better not get stuck in a washing machine.

Rean is otherwise kind of bland, he feels like someone tried to write lines for a silent protagonist, so they ended up with the most generic, laid-back, goody-goody JRPG main ever. Not that an emo brooder would be any better, but he could probably just not say anything and still be fine. The only times he makes me laugh is whenever he roasts Sara.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Rean is otherwise kind of bland, he feels like someone tried to write lines for a silent protagonist, so they ended up with the most generic, laid-back, goody-goody JRPG main ever. Not that an emo brooder would be any better, but he could probably just not say anything and still be fine. The only times he makes me laugh is whenever he roasts Sara.

He develops a little more personality in the second game but it’s still bland. If he would just have a drink or show any indication that the gravity of what is happening in the world around him is at all reflected in his internal life, he would be a much better character.

It’s like they sent a boy to war, but the boy returned a boy and not a man despite doing all of the things that generally transforms boys to men.

I can’t speak to 3 and 4 as I haven’t played them yet.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
he isn't interested in fucking his step sister.

... Ok.

Anyway, are you saying you wouldn't be interested in fucking your stepsister if she was hot? Only if you have a non-functioning dick and no test, I suppose, sure.

Sorry to burst your bubble Jenny, but 100% of all human bloodlines descend from incestuous ancestors. That's how biology works.
And you have a problem with a non-blood-related relationship because the two individuals grew up together.

Getting real tired of all these 2021 FAGGOTS.

Lhynn

Arcane
Is Rean really making a case for incest in a jrpg thread? holy shit dude, why do i waste my time in the grpg forum. Shits wild on this side of the fence.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Normal people think it's weird. Because it is.

Also, this is not even the first step-cest plotline in a Trails game. Okay, you want to explore that avenue, fine, but is this a defining feature of the series or something?

It kinda reminds me how Persona 4 had some normal relationships along with some baggage, then Persona 5 half the social links are taboo older milfs of one flavor or another.

This is a strange timeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom