Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Gearmos

Educated
I had ZERO doubts that it would be something related to merchandising and preorders:

Jinn

Arcane
I need Hajimari and Kuro in my life so bad. Happy about these official western Crossbell releases, but don't really give a shit at the same time. They're just games I've already played getting in the way of the games I've been waiting almost a year to play.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I need Hajimari and Kuro in my life so bad. Happy about these official western Crossbell releases, but don't really give a shit at the same time. They're just games I've already played getting in the way of the games I've been waiting almost a year to play.

I could live without Hajimari (Reverie) but the no date for Kuro (and Kuro II) english versions kills me a little bit every day.

Jinn

Arcane
I could live without Hajimari (Reverie)

Feel how you will about Crossbell duology and Cold Steel, but they need a proper conclusion. More so Crossbell than Cold Steel, imo, as I felt Cold Steel wrapped up pretty well overall with the true ending. My understanding is that's what Reverie does. On top of that, it looks like a 3rd-II to me, which only sweetens the deal.

no date for Kuro (and Kuro II) english versions kills me a little bit every day.

See you in 2024-2025 - MAYBE - friend.

Last edited:

Endemic

Arcane
Did someone say merchandise?

fXX3rEc.jpg

:lol:

Modron

Arcane
Sell me on or steer me away from Trails in the Sky the 3rd, about to finish the second game and the third is currently on sale but not digging the premise of singular dungeon crawl with side stories and large lore dumps.

Jinn

Arcane
singular dungeon crawl

In premise it's this, but it doesn't really play out the way you'd expect. Without being too spoilery, there is more going on environmentally than just straightforward dungeon crawling.

side stories and large lore dumps

Some of the best character development and world building in the series. It will make everything from the Crossbell Duology onward much more impactful. Plus, you have the best protagonist in the series with Kevin.

Beyond that, some of the best enemy designs and most challenging combat in the series as well. Still my favorite game in the Sky trilogy, and very high up there in the entire Trails series for me. That along with the interesting party building and huge roster of characters to play with makes it a standout entry in terms of gameplay. If none of the above sounds appealing to you, by all means skip it and maybe come back to it later. I just think you'd be missing out on one of the brightest shining gems and unique presentation in the series.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Sell me on or steer me away from Trails in the Sky the 3rd, about to finish the second game and the third is currently on sale but not digging the premise of singular dungeon crawl with side stories and large lore dumps.

Two things:
  • Lore stuff is awesome in this game with massive foreshadowing of the themes for the Crossbell, Erebonia and Calvard game series (as well as many of the ongoing side stories); and
  • It takes the series into new, very dark but also mysterious territory.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Kevin is awesome

Good combat on nightmare

It is a great farewell for sky series

if you are done with the trails series after sky 2 then you can skip it but otherwise no reason not to play it

Endemic

Arcane
So the Cold Steel anime got delayed: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/the...by-tatsunoko-production-delayed-to-early-2023

The March 2021-announced The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel anime project will be titled The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War and produced by Tatsunoko Production, Falcom announced. It has also been delayed from its previously planned 2022 premiere window to early 2023.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War is set in North Ambria, which is located in the northwestern part of the Zemuria continent, and depicts the story of the Trails series from the perspective of an original heroine named Lavie.

The “global animation project” is directed by Hidekazu Satou, whose previous works include Aquarion Logos and Last Hope.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So the Cold Steel anime got delayed: https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/the...by-tatsunoko-production-delayed-to-early-2023

The March 2021-announced The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel anime project will be titled The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War and produced by Tatsunoko Production, Falcom announced. It has also been delayed from its previously planned 2022 premiere window to early 2023.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel – Northern War is set in North Ambria, which is located in the northwestern part of the Zemuria continent, and depicts the story of the Trails series from the perspective of an original heroine named Lavie.

The “global animation project” is directed by Hidekazu Satou, whose previous works include Aquarion Logos and Last Hope.

Maybe it's for the best. I don't think they could do it justice.
The Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki OVA was awful.

Jinn

Arcane
Anime tie-ins to videogames always seems like a bad idea to me. I would consider watching this just for a more first-hand perspective of the Northern War, but in no way was I looking forward to it.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Has anyone tried/commented on the gameplay loop of the new trilogy?

Just restarted my Trails IV playthrough... and it's a slog I have to say. There is just so much game in this game, I feel like I'm being injected with way more Trails than I'll ever need and I'm approx 40% of the way through.

Also the turn based combat is getting a bit... yeah trash mob like.

Are things going to change in the Calvard arc?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Sarathiour

Cipher
NISA portage of 3 and 4 was already kinda bad, it was prone to crash, and a few item/skill description were fucked.
I obviously don't know about the current raw portage, but I'm not getting my hope up.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I played Hajimari last year on PS4 with the overlay and really liked it. The True Reverie corridor was a lot of fun and the story felt better-paced than any Cold Steel.

Now I'm playing Kuro since the overlay just came out and loving the new characters and combat. Writing seems solid so far as well.

I've played all Trails games on PS4 since CS3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom