Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Thanks for info I dont read reddit anymore because of spoilers so I had missed this one. Just starting it now seems like there is higher difficulty than nightmare (abyss) which is good since cs1-4 nightmare were braindead easy.

Edit. seems like you can change difficulty freely between nightmare and abyss but cannot go lower than that if you want achievements. In other trails games you cannot turn back into nightmare I think. 2 characters died in first tutorial battle on abyss difficulty speed increase that enemies get is probably ridiculously high.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
cs1-4 nightmare were braindead easy.

I think that's a bit hyperbolic, unless you were using some extreme cheese strategies. They could have certainly been harder - particularly on the hardest setting - but braindead easy they were not.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

I think that's a bit hyperbolic, unless you were using some extreme cheese strategies. They could have certainly been harder - particularly on the hardest setting - but braindead easy they were not.

I agree to some extend CS 1-2 early-middle game difficulty was somewhat good but CS3-4 were indeed very easy on nightmare. CS4 was the first trails game I did not die even single time on nightmare difficulty (well 1 time to challenge chest because I was using naked companions). CS1-2 probably around 5 times and then older games resets amounts were from 2 to 3 figures (SC prologue was a "fun" experience).

Last edited:

Sarathiour

Cipher
Problem is there is a lot of way to make the game extremely easy trough various cheese, or even simply by knowing how busted the speed stat is.
And if you're playing the 4th, you're probably already a veteran of the system. I basically was on autopilot the whole playthrough on nightmare, and that was even by adding silly homerule (like no selfboost craft like spirit unification, radiant wing, wild rage ... until the boss enhance).
Anyway, Abyss does not really solve the problem, it just make boss act thrice faster, so you have to cheese them.

Arthandas

Prophet

I don't know about 2-4, I didn't play them yet, but 1 WAS fucking easy on nightmare and I wasn't using Insight or Chrono Burst at all. By default, nightmare bumps enemy stats by 1.31 except for speed (the most important stat difficulty wise) which is only 1.09.
Conveniently, all difficulty modifiers are easily accessible in a separate file and can be changed with a hex editor. If you want to have any semblance of difficulty you need to raise speed multiplier to be on par with the other stats.
I personally just put everything to x1.50 and it was like playing a different game.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Wanted to check abyss difficulty speed multiplier and it seems to be 3 :D

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Hajimari abyss difficulty (1 higher than nightmare). Was posted by a redditor so cannot say it is 100% accurate. Just finished prologue and it seems that enemies get around twice as many turns

kain30

Cipher
I'm a bit lost here. After TOCS4 what is the next trails game? Has it come out for pc yet?

NerevarineKing

Learned
I'm a bit lost here. After TOCS4 what is the next trails game? Has it come out for pc yet?
Hajmari no Kiseki is after Cold Steel 4 and it's on PC although not in English yet officially. There is an overlay spreadsheet program that lets you play the whole game in English though. English name for the game is Trails Into Reverie.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Im really getting tilted with how weak party is storywise in every trails game early. Can beat ouroboros members in the previous game but now Crossbell group lose/struggle vs (very small spoiler)
4 random soldiers :roll:

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I agree to some extend CS 1-2 early-middle game difficulty was somewhat good but CS3-4 were indeed very easy on nightmare. CS4 was the first trails game I did not die even single time on nightmare difficulty (well 1 time to challenge chest because I was using naked companions). CS1-2 probably around 5 times and then older games resets amounts were from 2 to 3 figures (SC prologue was a "fun" experience).

Yeah, CS4 was sadly the easiest of the bunch. They should have adjusted for the players having such a massive arsenal of both characters and abilities.

Im really getting tilted with how weak party is storywise in every trails game early. Can beat ouroboros members in the previous game but now Crossbell group lose/struggle vs (very small spoiler)
4 random soldiers :roll:

That's typical for the series in general, it's a mechanic to preserve tension. Usually the characters will skyrocket in power to more closely resemble what they were like in the prequel after a few hours. Unrelated, but the Crossbell team was always weaker than the Sky/Cold Steel groups anyway from a story perspective, but I imagine they'll all be reaching the same power levels eventually anyway like in CS4.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Im around 50% done with the game I think and so far my opinion on this game without spoilers:

Major decline. Might be the worst trails game storywise.

Going to write proper review later when I have finished but so far the translation is actually quite solid. There are some untranslated dialogues but only for some side characters and shop keepers.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Done with the game. Short review without spoilers:

It is bad. Easily the worst trails game which does not serve any purpose for the overall story. First trails game I did not enjoy playing most of time. Only saving grace for this game is C route which was good.
Combat difficulty is similar to CS4.
Practically no side quests.

Then spoilers:

Still cant restart some battles when you miss your goal to gain extra bp. Have fun fighting 2+ bosses
everytime before you want to try again. Also shitload of bosses you have fought already.

story is very very bad. First 9 games practically no1 is evil its because of the curse and now similar retardfulness with parallel universes. Main baddie is underground AI which came from nothing and for some retarded reasons turned it into evil. This game should have wrapped up Ouroboros and grandmaster storyline but no lets milk those for another 20 years.

A lot of busywork (mini games, vantage master etc) if u want optional loot.

annoying to keep 30+ characters geared. Also practically every character comes with upgraded orbament slots level 2 so
need to rise those also to 3.

lootboxes (literally) and similar dungeon that we had in Thor's school which is randomly generated (not fun). also randomly generated areas inside randomly generated areas oh boy what fun.

challenge doors locked behind level requirements.

Some okay nerfs such as can use chrono burst only once in a row now.

At final chapter max level Estelle and Joshua only have 2 skills wtf.

Also as a goodbye fuck you the final battle has 4 divine knights battles.

3/10

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Trails in the Sky Third Chapter. Overall, a good arch. The first game is the slowest, and doesn't really get to the meaty things until the end. But I still liked the fighting and exploration. The second game is my favorite one, because it felt interesting all the way through. The third game is good, but I'm not sure if I love the way they structured the game. In general, it's still a very solid game.

I own Cold Steel 1 and 2, and from what I think, there are a lots of hints that have been sprinkled throughout the TitS arc. I will take a break, play a few other games, and then start the Cold Steels during my summer vacation.

Jinn

Arcane
I own Cold Steel 1 and 2, and from what I think, there are a lots of hints that have been sprinkled throughout the TitS arc. I will take a break, play a few other games, and then start the Cold Steels during my summer vacation.

Why not Crossbell duology first?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why not Crossbell duology first?
While it would make sense from a chronological order, I'm going with what I currently own.

Jinn

Arcane
While it would make sense from a chronological order, I'm going with what I currently own.

That's really too bad, particularly because we find ourselves with the unique advantage we didn't have available to us a couple years ago in being able to play them with a good English translation. I would urge you to reconsider, as I find Cold Steel is much more enjoyable with Crossbell having been played first.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

What Jinn said, you'll be revisiting Crossbell a whole lot while playing Cold Steel and knowing what you're looking at or reading will really increase your enjoyment.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
In that case, I might just put the whole series on hold for a while, and play other stuff. I'm going to wait for official Crossbell releases.

NerevarineKing

Learned
Done with the game. Short review without spoilers:

It is bad. Easily the worst trails game which does not serve any purpose for the overall story. First trails game I did not enjoy playing most of time. Only saving grace for this game is C route which was good.
Combat difficulty is similar to CS4.
Practically no side quests.

Then spoilers:

Still cant restart some battles when you miss your goal to gain extra bp. Have fun fighting 2+ bosses
everytime before you want to try again. Also shitload of bosses you have fought already.

story is very very bad. First 9 games practically no1 is evil its because of the curse and now similar retardfulness with parallel universes. Main baddie is underground AI which came from nothing and for some retarded reasons turned it into evil. This game should have wrapped up Ouroboros and grandmaster storyline but no lets milk those for another 20 years.

A lot of busywork (mini games, vantage master etc) if u want optional loot.

annoying to keep 30+ characters geared. Also practically every character comes with upgraded orbament slots level 2 so
need to rise those also to 3.

lootboxes (literally) and similar dungeon that we had in Thor's school which is randomly generated (not fun). also randomly generated areas inside randomly generated areas oh boy what fun.

challenge doors locked behind level requirements.

Some okay nerfs such as can use chrono burst only once in a row now.

At final chapter max level Estelle and Joshua only have 2 skills wtf.

Also as a goodbye fuck you the final battle has 4 divine knights battles.

3/10

I thought the story of CS2 and 4 were way worse honestly. But yeah, there are plenty of better stories in the series. I does do a good job at being an epilogue to Cold Steel/Crossbell and setting up the newest arc. I actually really liked the new characters in the C route, they had good chemistry/banter. But overall, I kinda agree with a lot of these criticisms.

Don't play Trails if you want a satisfying overarching plot. No one makes good RPG series with overarching plots anymore (The Banner Saga trilogy being the only exception in recent memory I can think of). And the Trails games with individually good stories are the exception, not the norm. You really have to be in it for the combat, the aesthetics, the music, and the community of NPCs.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Don't play Trails if you want a satisfying overarching plot. No one makes good RPG series with overarching plots anymore (The Banner Saga trilogy being the only exception in recent memory I can think of). And the Trails games with individually good stories are the exception, not the norm. You really have to be in it for the combat, the aesthetics, the music, and the community of NPCs.

I didn't like this post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom