Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild for Wii U and Switch

You 2 sound like 2 storyfags.

The game was great all around, it still had enough of a story to continue playing, but was mostly carried by excellent gameplay: combat, world interactivity, shrine puzzles, climbing, etc.
On the contrary, I don't give a shit about story in pretty much any game ever. Breath of the Wild felt like a mechanics playground, it just went on for 20 hours too long- as I said, it was good while it lasted, after awhile I just got bored. I often get bored with games that go on for too long, unless they manage to keep fresh - something that BotW didn't do for me. I should also say that I despise crafting mechanics in games, that definitely had something to do with it.

It sounds like you are more into tight, themepark type games. BotW is not that, but for people who love wandering around huge, open worlds, it is amazing. I easily put 100+ hours into it without ever getting bored.

Silva

Arcane
Hey, is there a download where I can get BOTW on a PC emulator in a ready made package ? I remember getting it this way a couple years ago and it worked well (my son even finished the game), but can't find it now.
Just gonna update this post for new people who want to play the game now or in the future, and because some of the links are dead.

Follow optimized video instructions

Get shaders for the game.

Follow guide for enabling Gyro for whatever controller you're using. There's a decent amount of shrines you'll need this for.

All things considered, it works great on AMD now.

:hmmm:

You forgot the ROM for Zelda BOTW, old man.

Know where I can get that? Just Zelda. My 10 years old is bugging the hell out of me.

Sentinel

Arcane
Hey, is there a download where I can get BOTW on a PC emulator in a ready made package ? I remember getting it this way a couple years ago and it worked well (my son even finished the game), but can't find it now.
Just gonna update this post for new people who want to play the game now or in the future, and because some of the links are dead.

Follow optimized video instructions

Get shaders for the game.

Follow guide for enabling Gyro for whatever controller you're using. There's a decent amount of shrines you'll need this for.

All things considered, it works great on AMD now.

:hmmm:

You forgot the ROM for Zelda BOTW, old man.

Know where I can get that? Just Zelda. My 10 years old is bugging the hell out of me.
Click on the little arrow to take you to the post old man.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...r-wii-u-and-switch.95723/page-44#post-6480213
There's links there. Although the instructions are like 2 years old. CEMU 1.19d has much faster vulkan shader construction so you shouldn't need to download a cache if you update the emulator; you don't need to download CEMUHook anymore; you shouldn't set CPU recompiler to single-core, instead use as many cores as your CPU has. You don't need to mess with GPUhack shit either.

Edit: I PMd you a link

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Remember to enable Async Shader compilation under Debug -> Experimental, works only with Vulkan API so be sure to have that enabled as well.

With that there is no longer any need to use a pre-compiled cache.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I wonder if the sequel to this is going to be good? I'm getting bad feelings since I saw the shitty teaser. Like weird dumb shit might be in store. Either we are getting a Majora's Mask or a Four Swords Adventure.

cruel

Cipher
So... why Codex likes this game so much?

This is the first game I got on my Switch. Played for few hours, managed to finish Great Plateau, and completely lost motivation to play it any more. In the meantime I was able to finish Three Houses (90h+), and played Xenoblade Definitive for 45h (also enjoying it). Wondering about Zelda though...Story is basically non-existent, the world is empty and filled with repetitive enemies, combat is OK but nothing spectacular. The only character growth is health or stamina, your weapons break, so not much motivation to find cool stuff. Basically, what's the point of the game? Why people love it so much, what am I missing? Either the game is completely not for me or gets way better / interesting after Great Plateau? For now, it just screams BORING for me and not much else.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Remember to enable Async Shader compilation under Debug -> Experimental, works only with Vulkan API so be sure to have that enabled as well.

With that there is no longer any need to use a pre-compiled cache.

Well, this is a cool, useful tip i must say. I cried because I had to wait 5 minutes for BotW to compile shaders using emulation in Cemu... until I had to wait 30 minutes for Horizon Zero Dawn to compile its shaders in native Windows 10 release.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

This is the first game I got on my Switch. Played for few hours, managed to finish Great Plateau, and completely lost motivation to play it any more. In the meantime I was able to finish Three Houses (90h+), and played Xenoblade Definitive for 45h (also enjoying it). Wondering about Zelda though...Story is basically non-existent, the world is empty and filled with repetitive enemies, combat is OK but nothing spectacular. The only character growth is health or stamina, your weapons break, so not much motivation to find cool stuff. Basically, what's the point of the game? Why people love it so much, what am I missing? Either the game is completely not for me or gets way better / interesting after Great Plateau? For now, it just screams BORING for me and not much else.

The amount of interactivity the BOTW setting offers is something you wouldn't find on any other AAA Open world until now.

In the near future, there are going to be released titles that will outperform BOTW. But this game set a precedent for a market that was just spamming run-of-the-mill Open worlds recycling the same concepts over and over.

Besides, you mention both games with heavier plot but also less flexible and lineal narrative.( I dunno how much is true for three housez but I suppose It doesn't deviate much from the typical linear progression on any other FE). Maybe it's not ur thing?

I remember that Xenoblade, when it was released, didn't bring any novel concept to the table, but It succesfully translated many MMO and combat gameplay ideas into a single player experience, more than FF XII ever could. Before Xenoblade, jrpgs genre on console/pc platform remained stagnant.

Also applies for BOTW, It's the succesful execution of rescued and merged ideas .

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane

Great Plateau is the tutorial. But it's not a game to munchkin, or experience a DEEP and COMPELLING story (though if you played three houses (which I liked), you're OK with a game with dumpster fire writing, right). It's largely about wandering through a charming and quite well designed envirvonment, finding nooks and crannies, solving environmental puzzles both designed (shrines) and emergent, engaging in some related shenanigans now and then like throwing enemies off bridges and smashing them in the face with big barrels.

I liked it a lot but I'm not comparing it to what we usually call RPGs around here.

I would take it further, Tigranes.

Most of the greatest RPGs of all time have never been about being a munchkin and experimenting with builds. How many builds can you have in Gothic or Witcher 3 or Ultima Underworld or PS:T? You can have different builds in Baldur's Gate and Fallout, but is that what makes those games great? I doubt it.

The fact is aRPGs are much more popular and much better now than iso tactical RPGs, and BotW does an excellent job in almost every area that aRPGs specialize in. Great exploration? Check. Fun combat? Check. Huge open world? Check. Fun intelligent puzzles? Check. The story is not as vast in scope as in many of them, but for what's there, it's pretty decent, if you find all the nostalgic memories and what not. BotW is what games like Skyrim/Ass Creed Odyssey aspire (and fail) to be.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i was taken with BOTW when i first played it because of all the gimmicks it offers (90% of the stuff you do in the game is a shallow gimmick), but after like 15-20 hours or so you realize the game is an empty shell, only slightly more palatable than the usual open-world fare.

give me a real Zelda game over BotW-style any day, with real level design and real dungeons and real itemization. for my money I still consider Fallout: New Vegas the gold standard of open world games; it transcends the label, as its open world is merely a way for the game to play out, it's not the game's point.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
give me a real Zelda game over BotW-style any day

Sorry to break it you aweigh
But considering BotW is pretty much the spiritual successot of the 1st Zelda, it makes BotW a more "real Zelda" than any of the titles that used the LttP structure formula.
A formula which pretty much run it's course after Majora's Mask and the Oracle games but Nintendo still kept beating that dead old horse.
Skyward Sword is proof that the formula served nothing but to shackle the devs.
BotW is the new way to go and it already has much more potential than any game the series.
Now they just need to improve on it to realise that potential

Tigranes

Arcane
I would like a BOTW game that had more robust itemisation, character progression, combat abilities, and dungeoneering - though at that point, I think I would actually be asking for a Good Elder Scrolls game. Which is fine, I just don't really think I'm going to get that from BOTW2, for example.

Lilliput McHammersmith

But considering BotW is pretty much the spiritual successot of the 1st Zelda, it makes BotW a more "real Zelda" than any of the titles that used the LttP structure formula.
A formula which pretty much run it's course after Majora's Mask and the Oracle games but Nintendo still kept beating that dead old horse.
BotW is the new way to go and it already has much more potential than any game the series.
That is what people say about BOTW, but I have not found that to be the case. I think ALttP and the original LoZ have way more in common than the original and BOTW. The original Zelda has better dungeons, better items, better exploration. The cool thing about BOTW is the survival aspect and the ability to scale any mountain you see in the distance. However, for me, it lacks the spirit of Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past.

I hope that BOTW 2 will be to BOTW what ALttP was to Zelda 1, because BOTW has an excellent base, it just needs much better dungeons and itemization. The shrines remind me of Skyrim dungeons, and not in a good way.

Raskens

Learned
Patron

That is what people say about BOTW, but I have not found that to be the case. I think ALttP and the original LoZ have way more in common than the original and BOTW. The original Zelda has better dungeons, better items, better exploration. The cool thing about BOTW is the survival aspect and the ability to scale any mountain you see in the distance. However, for me, it lacks the spirit of Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past.

I hope that BOTW 2 will be to BOTW what ALttP was to Zelda 1, because BOTW has an excellent base, it just needs much better dungeons and itemization. The shrines remind me of Skyrim dungeons, and not in a good way.

Yeah, I agree with you on this. I also think that one of Botw biggest fault (and deviation from the formula) is the fact that you get all of the major abilities at the beginning, while in the previous games you would get them at each dungeon and you could then use said abilities/items to acquire items and/or get access to a new dungeon/area. Zelda 1 didn't have that as much as the later games, but it does exist, and I consider it a big a part of the game and the series in general.

Proper dungeons with proper items is the biggest thing they need to add in Botw2. They also need to diverse to replace some shrines with caves, and other form of structures.

Delterius

Arcane
That is what people say about BOTW, but I have not found that to be the case.
The point is conceptual. Not sure if it was Miyamoto or Tezuka, but either one of them said that Zelda came about from wanting to emulate the sense of wonder when they explored caves in their youth. That interaction with nature is at the heart of BotW and, hopefully, the next entries will build up on it, making Breath the test drive for more and more interesting world design. By, for an instance, having fewer shrines and more terrain features like grottos, caves and so on would add a lot more to the experience than self contained big dungeons. Make the entire ice zone the 'Ice Dungeon' that must be tackled cleverly to advance, imo.

Lilliput McHammersmith

The point is conceptual. Not sure if it was Miyamoto or Tezuka, but either one of them said that Zelda came about from wanting to emulate the sense of wonder when they explored caves in their youth. That interaction with nature is at the heart of BotW and, hopefully, the next entries will build up on it, making Breath the test drive for more and more interesting world design. By, for an instance, having fewer shrines and more terrain features like grottos, caves and so on would add a lot more to the experience than self contained big dungeons. Make the entire ice zone the 'Ice Dungeon' that must be tackled cleverly to advance, imo.
So the thing is, that sense of wonder is diminished for me, personally, just as it is in Skyrim, with uninspired dungeons. The sense of wonder and awe is alive and well in the original Zelda, ALttP, and Link’s Awakening in particular. They all have expertly crafted dungeons and a very interesting overworld to explore. I just don’t feel the same with BOTW’s overworld, nor its dungeons. And really it’s the boring shrines that kill it for me.

Delterius

Arcane
So the thing is, that sense of wonder is diminished for me, personally, just as it is in Skyrim, with uninspired dungeons. The sense of wonder and awe is alive and well in the original Zelda, ALttP, and Link’s Awakening in particular. They all have expertly crafted dungeons and a very interesting overworld to explore. I just don’t feel the same with BOTW’s overworld, nor its dungeons. And really it’s the boring shrines that kill it for me.
trees and hills are nice ok

Lilliput McHammersmith

trees and hills are nice ok
Which is true and all lol, but it’s not enough to elevate the game in my eyes to “true spiritual successor of Zelda 1”. If any game has that honor, it would be Link’s Awakening IMO.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but either one of them said that Zelda came about from wanting to emulate the sense of wonder when they explored caves in their youth.

Not just caves but the outdoors in general.
The Overworld was the most detailed and interesting space to explore + interact with in the 1st game not the Dungeons - which only became the center focus with LttP (and all subsequent titles). Even the items that were gained in the dungeons had at least an equal amount of utility in the Overworld as they had in Dungeons (contrary to the LttP formula were items are mostly for Dungeon use).
With BotW the Overworld is once again the central aspect that connects to all others and all other aspect feed to.

d2q4jmm-7b3ab8c0-668c-44e7-a1f1-e93f6e9490b0.jpg
legend-zelda-breath-wild-link-concept-art.jpg

I think ALttP and the original LoZ have way more in common than the original and BOTW.

My argument above already disproves this, but then you also had the fact that BotW is the only Zelda title, aside from the original, that is non-linear in how you can progress through the campgain and it's challeges (in this regard it even surpasses the original).

Be fucking honest.
The formula reached it's potential a long fucking time ago.
The last 15 years before this game is the proof that they were unable to do anything good or least anything with the potential to be good.
If BotW followed yet again the LttP script nobody here would've played the fucking thing and we would be bitching how the formula should dead and buried.
Even to Nintendo this couldn't be "yet another 3D Zelda main line title" because the series is not their main money printing franchise like Mario, it's their most acclaimed franchise.
The one that should be "The Next Big Thing" on market everytime a main title is dropped, and they've been unable to achieve that ever since Wind Waker.

Like I've stated in previous pages, the problem ultimately is the fact that BotW lives and dies by "the journey is what counts not the destination" motto.
So while the beggining and middle of every adventure is memorable and full of promise, the end most of the times just falls flat.
They need to remove filler, improve and expand the core aspects and possibly makes some sort of synthesis with the old way.
But as the foundation for a new style of games, BotW is brimming with potential.
And that is something the series has been lacking for way too long.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom