Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Mass Effect 3/BioWare Thread

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
They gave Jack a goatee in the latest Mass Effect branded toilet paper.

mefnd7p2.jpg

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, we have signatures here, and none are very embarrasing. At least, I hope not.
So I think that it really comes down to the users. So maybe blocking the post function would be more prudent, for them.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Well, we have signatures here, and none are very embarrasing. At least, I hope not.
So I think that it really comes down to the users. So maybe blocking the post function would be more prudent, for them.
It comes down to the infinite wisdom of The Administration™ in disallowing images in signatures.
Image sigs were possible for a short while after the xenforo transition, and the results were less than good, to put it mildly.

Angthoron

Arcane
Looks like Shep is a pretty flat character.

Now there's some proper use of literary terms
:yeah:[/quote]

Telengard

Arcane
There is no understanding the Mass Effect series ending; there is only acceptance.
But if you want try to understand Bioware's Mass Effect ending: you take 1 part Joseph Cambell and the Bible Myth, 1 part hormones (sex, violence, tears, and tits), and 1 part soap opera writing, and stir. Which results in the hammy version of the saviour sacrificing himself in order to save and heal the universe, while everyone else gazes upon the new world he creates in wonder, mixed with melancholy at the saviour's loss.

However, I say it's better to just roll with what is actually depicted onscreen, which is Shep having sex with the entire universe.

Telengard

Arcane
Jack was one of the people originally cited. As was Liara. Miranda, dunno.

But then, Bioware tend not to make too many body types. So, if one asari gets an augmented size, they all get it.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The Biblical references in Mass Effect 3's ending were really the cherry on top, no relation with the series whatsoever.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I know they did it to Ashley, but also to the likes of Jack or the already buxom Miranda?

I love when Bioware goes on and on about gender equality and then turns all their chick characters into supermodels between games. Such tasty hypocrisy.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's OK to do something sexist as long as you make up for it by doing something progressive too. In that case they gave Shepard huge tits (and every other female human too because hey, making another model would be like, way too hard man) but they made up for it by adding gay romance.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-23-should-bioware-give-up-romances

Should BioWare give up romances?
Dragon Age writer David Gaider mulls the answer.

By Robert Purchese Published Thursday, 23 January 2014

Remember all that hullabaloo about revealing lesbian sex in Mass Effect? However ludicrous the criticism, it's the sort of steamy content BioWare fans have come expect - love stories, love scenes, and often quite daring and progressive ones (for video games, at least).

'Who can I bed?' The inevitable question levelled at BioWare's produce within a heartbeat of people being able to answer it. And the answer people don't always like.

jpg

BioWare's commitment to gay and lesbian love stories is nice to see.
It's as if romances, and the increasing variety of them, are becoming something of a duty for BioWare to include. It was a long time ago that BioWare surprised me with a smooch on Bastila Shan's lips in a quiet corner of the Ebon Hawk.

Is it time to mix things up a bit - time for BioWare to make a game without romances?

"Sometimes it's tempting," answered David Gaider, lead Dragon Age writer, on his blog(noticed by OXM).

He knows there will be a day when the Dragon Age: Inquisition romances are out of the bag, and he knows not everyone will be happy, and that some fingers will be pointed and accusations hurled.

"Yes, at that time, the conversation of why we even bother certainly can and will come up within the team."

He went on: "To me, the thing that BioWare does best is not story but characters - I think our characters are done to a level that few other games even attempt, with an element of agency that strikes a chord in our players... and romances have been a natural outgrowth of that.

"Sure we could stop, but that would be turning our backs on something we do which almost no-one else does. The question would be: 'why?' And what do we replace it with?"

BioWare has made games without romances before, he recalled, "and we could do it again".

"Perhaps, if we made a new IP, we might decide it's best not to open that particular Pandora's Box (which, yes, romances have always been) and go with something else... but that 'something else' better be something damned good, as there are a lot of people who enjoy that part of our games immensely and who might not be willing to buy into a new series which didn't have it.

"Some folks might be eager to write those fans off," he concluded, "but I'm not really sure that BioWare feels the same."

To me, the thing that BioWare does best is not story

I kind of like Gaider. He's an honest man at heart.

dryan

Arcane
Should BioWare give up romances?
Dragon Age writer David Gaider mulls the answer.

No. BioWare should give up man-on-man romance. Keep straight romances and keep lesbians too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom