Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 182 24.6%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 210 28.4%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I found them Efe ,it is a bad mod instal and wasn't showing.

I had noticed that the classes are a mess lol. You play with the ones that are part of the starting game you chose. Sooo you would either chose MM6 or MM7 as a start. Now i am curious which one is better,mm7 or mm6.

Also the free mouse look is pretty shit lol,because you have to click on the enemy to shoot while spamming A or S it happens a lot faster and more efficient.

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
if your mouse is over an enemy A,S targets that enemy, otherwise targets closest to screen.
you dont have to click
always been like that

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I have noticed that there exist a class Peasant - is this filler class or it class can lead to something interesting? Like choosing m&m 7/8 class later (I think to start from m&m 6)?
Sorry, if my conclusions sound dumb, but I don't remember such class in my previous playthrough at all.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I have noticed that there exist a class Peasant - is this filler class or it class can lead to something interesting? Like choosing m&m 7/8 class later (I think to start from m&m 6)?
Sorry, if my conclusions sound dumb, but I don't remember such class in my previous playthrough at all.

I *think* class selection is tied to character portraits, so if you pick a portrait that has a class not represented in the starting continent you chose, it is replaced by peasant.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
One of the readmes explained it, but its a mod class that starts you off weaker than any other class, but whenever you reach level 1, you can choose your class. I have no idea if it has any advantages.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
installed the M&M 6-7-8 combi mod
started out in the world of 6, five characters, all-female party (I picked, of course, the ones with barefoot paperdolls :M )
already killed a bunch of goblins and found some treasure hidden under a random rock

I'm having fun. Might and Magic is just so much fun despite how simple its gameplay loop is.
Yeah, I think that is what made the series so beloved, unlike more cerebral series like Wizardry or more developed like Ultima Might and Magic simply focused on fun gameplay and rewarding exploration
I often tend to think of Wizardry 7, Darklands, Gothic or New Vegas as my favorites games ever but I think the most fun I ever had was always with the Might and Magic games

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
if your mouse is over an enemy A,S targets that enemy, otherwise targets closest to screen.
you dont have to click
always been like that
Ahhh that is what i am saying lol. The point is that mouse look is shit because you attack far too slow and end up doing only a fracture of the damage that you do using A and S. With mouse look you have to manually target the the enemy hitbox and that is hard. They should have made it like MM9.

I *think* class selection is tied to character portraits, so if you pick a portrait that has a class not represented in the starting continent you chose, it is replaced by peasant.
Not fully,the class is dependant on the starting game/world you chose. Only if chose to start in Jadame/MM8 the class is affected by the portrait. Tho i do have a dark elf bitch that is a MM7 archer and still have master merchant and dark elf abilities.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
LoL the arena is broken,if you really care about the shitty arena quest,you have to start the game in mm7. In mm6 i just lose rep for killing shitty peasants in the arena and guards attack me lol.

Also class system is a mess,they should just chose one of the three and stick to it.

Does anyone else have lag?

Efe

Erudite
you move around with wasd , look around wth mouse and shoot with Q,E
I dont see any dps reduction.
Had a weird bug in turn based where my character shot 20 or so arrows (until i let go of button) without anyone else getting a turn.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Does anyone else have lag?

I had it, it was based on a lot of monster sounds playing at once. That's because the GoG version is set to start with Windows 95 compatibility.

Go to the M&M8 exe and right click to see properties. Change compatibility mode from Win 95 to Win XP and the lag goes away.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
you move around with wasd , look around wth mouse and shoot with Q,E
I dont see any dps reduction.
Had a weird bug in turn based where my character shot 20 or so arrows (until i let go of button) without anyone else getting a turn.
Gatling Bow activate maybe?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Forgotten how enormously addictive these games are... just had a 5 hour marathon (yes, I am old and have to work tomorrow) with my older savegame of Might and Magic 6
BTW found a weird glitch but not so bad if anybody else besides me doesn’t love the widescreen display; if you add the Greyface patch after installing all the Merge Mod with it’s patches you can add Greyface’s own mouselook settings and that somehow resets the main window to match the window of the original Might and Magic 8, so you get the hi res textures and monsters woth the original display... not bad at all and a bit more to my liking

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
These instructions all wriiten out for the inept of us? With pics?
Install Might and Magic 8
Set compatibility to Win XP sp3 for EXE
Run the game
Install Merge Mod
Install Merge Mod patch (either Community or Service)
Install Greyface 2.4.1 Mouselook patch
Run game
Everything running ok?
Install Greyface’s Mouselook setting file
Enjoy Might and Magic Merge Mod with the original look of 8

So I've been replaying WoX for the first time in a little over a decade (I believe this is my fourth playthrough overall, discounting incomplete starts). I'm roughly 2/3 of the way through Clouds, and I have barely touched Darkside at all, so I still have quite a way to go.

Some thoughts:

-Red Dwarf Mines aren't as bad as I remembered. They're definitely the weakest dungeon in terms of design/layout/art, but it's also much more apparent to me that you're meant to come and go while exploring the overworld, and not just bruteforce your way through the deep mines.

-Exploration remains a genre-high for me. Few games can rival WoX's sense of grandeur and openness. It's legitimately exciting to gain new traversal skills/spells, and the game never holds you by the hand to show you where you can go and what you can do. Unfortunately, even 10+ years after playing the game, meta-knowledge does dampen this (which brings me to the next point).

-Going to Darkside early completely breaks Clouds, much more so than I remembered. Getting 100,000 xp from a fucking copy-protection puzzle (potentially at level 1) just utterly trivializes the first 1/3 of Clouds. Same with getting mountaineering, swimming, or pathfinding at level 1. I get that they were trying to allow players who bought V but not IV a chance to skill up, but the implementation leaves much to be desired.

-I forgot how many spells serve utilitarian/traversal purposes. Levitate, Jump, Walk on Water, teleport, etc.; the spellbook is very PNP DND, and that's awesome, more games should learn from this.

-The UI, although inarguably ahead of its time, leaves something to be desired. I think a lot of the time that people are singing the praises of WoX's UI, what they really mean is that it has an excellent control scheme and a slightly better than average UI. The game plays very fluidly (especially with a numpad) once you know all the keyboard shortcuts, but the actual UI elements outside of the animated gargoyles (the item menu, the unannotatable map, the awful char gen/party deletion at NG) are cumbersome as fuck. Ultima Underworld had an overall superior UI IMO (I know the'yre different kinds of games).

-Combat remains as underwhelming as always. It's fast, so it's completely tolerable, but as a result some of the more combat heavy dungeons encourage cheesey behavior (rest-spam, Lloyd's Beacon spam) a bit much for my taste. Of particular note are the dungeons which inflict the insane status (which I forgot was uncurable outside of temples before Mandate of Heaven). It's not rage-inducing, but it is tedious.

-General obfuscation of stats. I know, I know, I can go to the smith and identify items, or I can learn the identify monster spell, and it's a cool nod to PNP roots, but in practice it's just not fun in a crpg. I want to be able to make quick and concise decisions about the optimal course of action/equipment and not waste time casting spells. Maybe I've just gotten acclimated to the popamole tendencies of the modern world, but I don't think so; WoX is basically the popamole of its era after all.

I'm excited to get to Darkside, which from memory is largely a straight-up improvement over Clouds in terms of content. Currently in Clouds I have the Northern Sphinx, Darzog's Tower, the Volcano, and the Golem Dungeon all open to me, so I'm not too far from getting into the good stuff. I'll try and weigh in with thoughts again after another 20 hours.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Clouds is just a warmup to Darkside. The first time I played Clouds I'd already long since played Darkside so nothing held a challenge. When you turn it the other way around you really have to avoid Darkside altogether if you want Clouds to have any challenge.

And it's obvious that's where they really went all out anyway. Clouds is pretty generic compared to the aesthetic and design of Darkside. Some really tricky dungeons the first time you take them on. It had better and more interesting looking enemies with a great artstyle, better soundtrack, and pretty much just better everything.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Meanwhile I encountered bug in Merger mod, Blade's edge and Buccaneer Lair teach the same skills and on top of that - both of them missing daggers skill. Not only that, but you can't learn daggers skill even in MM7 and MM8 content from blacksmiths. It's seems the only way to recive this skill is to start in MM7.

Eddit: Correction, you CAN obtain dagger skill. But it's as far as in Harmondale smithy. What was logic behind this change is beyond me. Berserker's fury , Buccanir and Blade's edge is still buggy I think. The fact that you don't need to pay 50 gold to join, yet dialogue with npc's remains is quite strange.

Last edited:

DaveO

Erudite
The Peasants start with Bow which is easily the most important early skill in MM6-MM8. Then you can train them in the class you want.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Dagger skill is also found in the Dagger Wound Island smithy.
Thanks for information, will try to go there in search for skill.
The Peasants start with Bow which is easily the most important early skill in MM6-MM8. Then you can train them in the class you want.
Yes, figured that out on my own, got thief class on top of New Sorpigal Inn, but Daggers was not included so this is why I started my Odyssey between continents and times.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
So how does it work? Can I start a peasant in MM6 and train him into a MM8 class?
Just to check out smithy on Dagger Wound Island for dagger skill, I created full peasant party. I managed to convert almost all of them into mm7 classes (besides cleric and ranger), but haven't seen possibility to become troll or something, at least on starting island. And maybe I am stupid or blind, but no luck finding dagger skill in True Mettle (smithy on Dagger Wound island) or anywhere else on starting islands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom