Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime The mistake a lot of modern boomer shooters make

Harthwain

Magister
FYPNP. That game is everything wrong with "throwback" shooters. Garbage.
Care to back up that opinion with something more substantial? In case you misunderstood something; I was saying that in the context of atmosphere/setting. Boltgun screams "WH40K!", even down to small details (such as your armor being named... contempt. Because, you know; "My armor is contempt"?).

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
BUT HANG ON, WHAT ABOUT DELTA FORCE? ARE WE SAYING DELTA FORCE ISN'T A CORRIDOR DEATH GAME JUST BECAUSE IT HAS NO CORRIDORS?

Look dude I might be one of the only people here unfortunate enough to play the delta force games (1,2,BHD). Those games sucked ass. Trust me there are plenty of corridors in DF, plenty of stupid buildings where enemies will 1 shot you around corners.

All of that pales in comparison to the falling damage. In delta force 2 you will die if you fall more then 1 feet.
Interesting.
I thought Delta Force: Black Hawk Down was alright.
Not really great, but not all bad either.

Beans00

Erudite
BUT HANG ON, WHAT ABOUT DELTA FORCE? ARE WE SAYING DELTA FORCE ISN'T A CORRIDOR DEATH GAME JUST BECAUSE IT HAS NO CORRIDORS?

Look dude I might be one of the only people here unfortunate enough to play the delta force games (1,2,BHD). Those games sucked ass. Trust me there are plenty of corridors in DF, plenty of stupid buildings where enemies will 1 shot you around corners.

All of that pales in comparison to the falling damage. In delta force 2 you will die if you fall more then 1 feet.
Interesting.
I thought Delta Force: Black Hawk Down was alright.
Not really great, but not all bad either.

Trust me, black hawk down was way better then the first 2(which I played way more of).

Lemming42

Arcane
Delta Force 1 and 2 are two of my favourite corridor death games even though they're objectively fucking awful. I still play DF1 just for fun sometimes. There's a lot they could have done with that whole formula. BHD is pretty cool but it's a shame that Land Warrior was kind of shit.

Nothing will ever beat the level in DF2 where you leap from the helicopter onto the speeding train, I think in Uganda. I love how nothing works. If you crouch or move at all during the helicopter ride, you clip through the base of the copter and fall. Enemy AI can't handle the fact that it's on a train and they fire at the wall in front of themselves while jerking violently up and down. Then there's the car chase where the trucks start chasing the train and just straight-up can't hit you. It's one of the funniest things in any game prior to Oblivion.

Beans00

Erudite
Nothing will ever beat the level in DF2 where you leap from the helicopter onto the speeding train, I think in Uganda. I love how nothing works. If you crouch or move at all during the helicopter ride, you clip through the base of the copter and fall. Enemy AI can't handle the fact that it's on a train and they fire at the wall in front of themselves while jerking violently up and down. Then there's the car chase where the trucks start chasing the train and just straight-up can't hit you. It's one of the funniest things in any game prior to Oblivion.

It's fun/funny until you lose an hour or more of progress because of the games terrible design.

Since you played it you probably remember some of the missions in DF 1-2 could be long. You had to go slow and be careful, you had to conserve ammo because if you ran out you were stuck with a knife. When you hit your map it showed you where every enemy was, and some missions required you to kill every enemy. There was no saving in mission so if you die that could be upwards of an hour or more of progress gone.

One of the desert missions in DF2, there was a single enemy left I had to kill all the way in the far end of the map. Probably 7-10 minutes of walking to find him. The craters in the desert (which were around 2 feet deep, literally thats it) were deep enough to kill you with falling(walking) damage.

Probably the most mad I ever got at a game as a kid, maybe a couple snes platformers come close or trying to figure out what to do in hexen. Of course as a kid you just play what you have. I drowned when I was a kid so I had a hard time playing any games with too much water so quake 1/2/ duke 3d weren't things I could really power though. Delta force had the army aesthetic that obviously appeals to boys, so I forced myself to beat 1-2. Even all the optional missions. Absolute cancer.

Harthwain

Magister
To you maybe, to me it looked closer to a candy store than muh grimdark 40K. Then again I didn't play it a lot, I think I got fed up after the arena where the flyers show up.
And that's IT...? "Everything wrong with >throwback< shooters" = "It has more colours than I would like"?

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
To you maybe, to me it looked closer to a candy store than muh grimdark 40K. Then again I didn't play it a lot, I think I got fed up after the arena where the flyers show up.
And that's IT...? "Everything wrong with >throwback< shooters" = "It has more colours than I would like"?
You played it? That shit is much closer to nu-doom than anything released "back then". I was under the impression it would be an actual "boomer shooter", not just look like one. Maybe I misinterpreted the marketing LOL

Harthwain

Magister
You played it? That shit is much closer to nu-doom than anything released "back then". I was under the impression it would be an actual "boomer shooter", not just look like one. Maybe I misinterpreted the marketing LOL
You need to be more specific than that. Is your problem that the game is using mouse control for aiming or something?

Hell Swarm

Learned
You need to be more specific than that. Is your problem that the game is using mouse control for aiming or something?
Hyper fast large arena would describe Nu doom. Boltgun is spastic speed if you're any good at fps.

It's very nu 40k. The bright colours are gaudy but needed to keep visual clarity.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The levels felt like corridors leading to arenas leading to corridors leading to arenas etc.
The open spaces are way too open inviting you to shoot at 4-pixel blobs.
Doom has better enemy behaviour.
The secrets were laughable. Climb the ladder around the corner, secret found!
The floor LITTERALY littered with pick-ups EVERYWHERE. 40K? more like Pac-Man.
Useless popcorn enemies on one hand, HP bloated ones on the other.
Weapons felt meh; Although I'll admit my taste has been ruined by E.Y.E. and BD where every weapon feels orgasmic.
Whoever the fuck thought that servitor skull was a good idea should stay well the fuck away from game dev.
And then I uninstalled.

The bright colours are gaudy but needed to keep visual clarity.
I'd give the game that if I liked the gameplay. Nightmare Reaper has a certain....look...but the gameplay towers over whatever one might think of it.

Ash

Arcane
The levels felt like corridors leading to arenas leading to corridors leading to arenas etc.
The open spaces are way too open inviting you to shoot at 4-pixel blobs.
Doom has better enemy behaviour.
The secrets were laughable. Climb the ladder around the corner, secret found!
The floor LITTERALY littered with pick-ups EVERYWHERE. 40K? more like Pac-Man.
Useless popcorn enemies on one hand, HP bloated ones on the other.
Weapons felt meh; Although I'll admit my taste has been ruined by E.Y.E. and BD where every weapon feels orgasmic.
Whoever the fuck thought that servitor skull was a good idea should stay well the fuck away from game dev.
And then I uninstalled.

HeatEXTEND with standards is BASED. Given these wise-sounding words as well as what I already know about it (not much, but many have said it is stupid easy), I will never never pick up Boltgun :salute:

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
The gunplay is pretty good in Boltgun but the spongier enemies are annoying and the level design does let it down a bit. Especially this thing where they sometimes lock you in a room and it's called "cleanse mode" or some shit, and it just turns into Serious Sam until you've hunted every last enemy down and are finally allowed to leave. Wasn't a big fan of the weird magnetic chainsword that zooms you into people either.

Those chaos demon enemies that split into two when killed are stupid as fuck as well. Not a huge 40k fan so I dunno if that's something faithfully recreated from the tabletop game or whatever, but goddamn it was annoying in FPS form.

The devs could probably make a good sequel if they learned the right lessons. Boltgun was their first FPS iirc and it's a decent effort when viewed in that light.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't get why Boltgun had to be so colorful. Doom doesn't look like that at all and if there is a setting that warrants grimdark has to be 40k. Space Hulk: Deathwing may have not been the greatest but damn if they didn't nail the atmosphere.

Just another of those things that shows modern zoomer devs don't have their heads screwed on their neck right. It's always something with them.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Since Tom Hall was brought up earlier I've been thinking about him. Just looking at the overall decline in quality between Doom and Doom 2 makes me wonder exactly how much influence he had over Doom, and to what extent Doom 2 suffered from his absence. I know you can see who's credited with each map but I'm reading up on Hall's levels for the Doom alpha and it looks like the game's development was a lot more convoluted than it first appears, with Romero/Petersen/Hall all contributing to different maps at different times.
IIRC, most of the Doom bible is all him, and he was often the person who pushed making these places feel like real places. For instance, in Wolfenstein, he was the one who asked for the pots and pans sprite. Although that said, to my memory Hall's levels in Wolfenstein are not necessarily better, nor does Rise of the Triad strike me as something going for the design principles he seems to have set himself, feeling more like a more gamey or abstract level from one of the others. They really needed each other to rein in the other's more unwise aspects.
I wonder what it'd have been like if he'd gotten to do half the shit he wanted - he was already looking into an inventory system and Hexen-style puzzles instead of Wolf3D-style keys (eg using a severed hand to open a locked door).
Earlier, I said Elm Knight was what the story half of the Doom bible would have been like. Well, that might be an extreme since I don't know how much story there was supposed to be originally, but something tells me it wasn't going to be massively, massively long lengths of dialog like Elm Knight with token game bits between. I wonder if some other early FPS did something akin to what his vision of Doom was like. Everything I can think of that sounds similar to that vision is also way off that vision in other respects. Shadowcaster, for instance actually had the boys at Id work on it, but it's clearly not anywhere close to akin to Hall's vision. Other "intelligent" FPS of that time like Sleeping Gods Lie or Star Cruiser also have aspects that massively set them apart from this theoretical vision. Maybe Pathways into Darkness? It's a setting with modern-ish weapons and some oddballs, the player is late, and comes across his companions corpses, and it involves going deeper and deeper into a dark hellhole.
What are your all's takes on making throwback doom clones? Even with WADs, I think mouselook ruins things. I can't really put into words what makes Doom work, but the limitations in 3D environments work in its favor. If you take the same relative format and put it into a true 3D space, it suddenly gets boring - which is why I was never able to get into Serious Sam or Painkiller.
This is a more general bad game developer choice, but a lot of developers seem like they understand obvious flaws and good aspects of a game, but not more subtle things. It's very easy to tell me that Doom is good and Tekwar is bad, and it's not that hard to point out the obvious things. It's difficult for someone to explain the minor ways that Doom succeeds and Tekwar fails. It's very difficult for someone to explain in what way Doom fails and Tekwar succeeds. I want to point out I'm specifically talking about someone who likes Doom or at least respects Doom, and isn't the kind of genius who is running around screaming about having to find keys.
Eh? There are people who dislike Delta Force? Funny. I always thought they were pretty nice, at least the first two. Just realistic enough that it feels like reality, but not so realistic it negatively impacts the game in other ways. But I could just be remembering the good parts, I definitely don't remember getting 1 shotted all the time like that.

Hell Swarm

Learned
Those chaos demon enemies that split into two when killed are stupid as fuck as well. Not a huge 40k fan so I dunno if that's something faithfully recreated from the tabletop game or whatever, but goddamn it was annoying in FPS form.
It's lore accurate. Horrors split into smaller versions of themselves when killed.
I don't get why Boltgun had to be so colorful. Doom doesn't look like that at all and if there is a setting that warrants grimdark has to be 40k. Space Hulk: Deathwing may have not been the greatest but damn if they didn't nail the atmosphere.
Grimdark 40k is a meme. 40k is a fucking rainbow of spastic colours and has been since day 1. Demons are all bright colour coded and so are space marines, Eldar and even squats had their moments. True 40k has neon green bases and fuck any one who wants to paint them any other colour.

t. Grognard from before 40k added weeb factions to ride the coat tails of Toonami.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
But, it's no just the colors. Doom is colored too but doesn't look like candy. And neither does any 40k artwork i have ever seen. Even the original artwork, colorful that it was, didn't look like candy.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
But, it's no just the colors. Doom is colored too but doesn't look like candy. And neither does any 40k artwork i have ever seen.
teate-the-rainbxo.jpg

Hell Swarm

Learned
But, it's no just the colors. Doom is colored too but doesn't look like candy. And neither does any 40k artwork i have ever seen. Even the original artwork, colorful that it was, didn't look like candy.

But, it's no just the colors. Doom is colored too but doesn't look like candy. And neither does any 40k artwork i have ever seen.
teate-the-rainbxo.jpg
5818059600-e879f2fd90-z.jpg

3rd edition is when 40k loses all it's colour. And that's the edition they started to take the fluff seriously, dumb the game down and try to appeal to the yanks. You can see it bleed into the end of 2nd edition with the Sister's codex.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
teate-the-rainbxo.jpg

Look at the full artwork it's actually more realistic than you think:

DzbfLIGUwAAu728.jpg

This is from the same artist it's just typical 80s art style:

eHwWD0CGwEaBBLZE.jpg

t004sM4lcK5KIn7d.jpg

p7ZhfEbqkowCzFGk.jpg

7amoLwJiQVlcrsjg.jpg

Color, yes, but hardly Overwatch colored wouldn't you say?

In fact, this is Doom colored.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You need new eyes that shit is as removed from Overwatch as it gets. Overwatch is like Disney or Dream Works cartoony.

Ash

Arcane
Warhammer straddles a fine, almost impossible line between cool and gay. A lot of my early introduction to 80s/90s awesomeness was through my brother whom is 6 years older, was always bringing cool shit home and therefore I must be thankful...but one of his interests stood out to me. Why in the actual fuck are you painting little gay blue men? :lol:

that aside I don't like the character designs, lore etc, yet it is to a degree cool. Just...gay cool. Kind of like Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:

Hell Swarm

Learned
You need new eyes that shit is as removed from Overwatch as it gets. Overwatch is like Disney or Dream Works cartoony.
Soldier76-portrait.png
Looks pretty 40k right there. Also the big dude with a hammer among others.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom