Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

DeepOcean

Arcane
Thiaf is apparently selling well, probably due to the fact that the Xbone & PS4 have literally no games at the moment and it came out in a time to take advantage of that before anything good came out.
I don't know on PS 4 or Xbone but on steam it disappeared of the top 10 in just a few days, besides, I don't know if Square Enix laying off most of the team it is a signal that is doing well. Anyway, even if it sells 4 million, what it won't, it won't pay for the 5 years of development.

DraQ

Arcane
My most memorable Thiaf experience was spending 10 seconds spamming "E" in order to open a window leading to a room that took about 15 seconds to rob and then spending another 10 seconds opening the same window in order to get out.
I thought a good game should be at least 30h long. What's the matter, 7/10 , don't you like games of proper length?

:troll:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Insomnia taunts me, I turned on my t.v.;
Rapt in the arms of a galaxy spiral.
Heard a sea-shell hid it's secret as well.
This nexus is key to our planets survival.

One precious moment it all became clear;
Brain-cloud-haze lifted by euphoric fear.
To the unknown my mind's eye directed;
Beheld every mote in creation connected.

No more Hereafter, eugenics our master;
Sectarist lecture mere witless hubris.
Humanity's blunder was ceasing to wonder;
Why are we here; what's the meaning of this?

Virtual church without actual sages;
Souls under scrutiny, rats in glass cages.
Enigmas deciphered are no longer needed;
Lost words of warning unheard or unheeded.

We're all hooked-up to the vast karmic internet;
Each of our souls on the end of its fibre.
One sacred fact that we can't download yet;
The truth is we share the same service-provider.

The atheist plays whilst the orthodox pray.
Fundamentalists freak-out as humanists scoff.
A headlong collision 'twixt science and religion;
There'll be Hell to pay
when one day God logs-off.
Now now, cite your sources.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Thiaf is apparently selling well, probably due to the fact that the Xbone & PS4 have literally no games at the moment and it came out in a time to take advantage of that before anything good came out.
Source faggot.

retardation

Learned
Unfortunately, I played through this turd on the hardest difficulty with helpers off.

Some nice music (emphasis on "some") but not for a Thief game. The best mission is the brothel because it's the only one that's got mystery and exploration. Visuals in this mission are also very nice.

Other than that, the game is truly terrible. People who didn't play this yet probably think that we are overreacting when we claim the plot is non-existent. Well, it is. But the worst thing is that you discover that only after the ending. Only then you realize there is no story in the game at all. Simply no plot, no characterization, no logic to character behaviour, nothing. Well maybe Orion is somewhat rounded up, but others aren't.

Voice overs: buggy and unlistenable. Garrett is designed and voiced for cosplay. There is nothing more to that character.
AI is zonal because of linear level design: when you get out of the room/zone, you got away.
There are locked doors, but there are no keys in the game.
Focus surfaces are easily seen even without focus (hardest difficulty, focus turned off).
Sound is irrelevant. You can kill guards by shooting arrows in their faces and nearby guards will not react. The same for footsteps.
Too much QTE key mashing.
Stealing loot is not required to finish missions.
Water surfaces: almost non-existent, created only for trailers.
The same for dogs and birds.
The Bank mission is too short, linear and doesn't contain anything of any interest.
Body stance doesn't influence visibility. Nor does equipping fire arrows.
Etc.

Overall, the game is half-made and hastily wrapped up for PR purposes. Good luck to people who don't believe this and decide to buy.

Last edited:

Mebber

Educated
I just hate myself right now because i know i'll play it eventually. Even after all i've read, i'll play it, just because these moron-geniuses tagged it "Thief".

Guess i'm just the kind of easy stupid consumer prey they hoped for.

:rage:

Thank god for pirate copies.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I hope someone is compiling a list of every one who has admitted to playing this game. You never know when the next committee of un-Codexian activities will crawl up, and it would be a grave sin to allow these barbarous traitors to escape justice.

No Great Name

Arcane
Unfortunately, I played through this turd on the hardest difficulty with helpers off.

Is it possible to finish a level without stealing anything? What is the loot used for otherwise?

Telengard

Arcane
Blech. But I suppose somebody had to do it. News articles on Thiaf sales.

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/ne...rt-with-75-percent-sales-on-xbox-one-ps4.html
Thief tops chart with 75% sales on Xbox One, PS4
By Liam Martin
Monday, Mar 3 2014, 4:37am EST

Thief is the brand new all-format number one, knocking The LEGO Movie Video Game down to second.

The Square Enix title is the second biggest-selling number one of 2014 behind FIFA 14, with 75% of sales coming for Xbox One and PS4.

gaming-thief-screenshot-18.jpg

© Square Enix

Elsewhere, Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare makes its debut at four, above Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is this week's third highest new entry at ten, and the second biggest-selling debut for the franchise behind the original Lords of Shadow.

Outside of the top ten, Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles debuts at 13, above a racing double bill of Need for Speed: Rivals and Gran Turismo 6.

The top 20 in full:

1. (-) Thief (Square Enix)
2. (1) The LEGO Movie Videogame (Warner Bros Interactive)
3. (2) FIFA 14 (Electronic Arts)
4. (-) Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (Electronic Arts)
5. (3) Call of Duty: Ghosts (Activision)
6. (4) Battlefield 4 (Electronic Arts)
7. (5) LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (Warner Bros Interactive)
8. (6) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (Microsoft)
9. (8) Assassin's Creed 4 (Ubisoft)
10. (-) Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Konami)
11. (7) Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar Games)
12. (10) Rayman Legends (Ubisoft)
13. (-) Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles (Namco Bandai)
14. (12) Need for Speed: Rivals (Electronic Arts)
15. (16) Gran Turismo 6 (Sony)
16. (9) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo)
17. (19) Aliens: Colonial Marines (SEGA)
18. (17) LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Warner Bros)
19. (14) WWE 2K14 (2K Games)
20. (18) LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Warner Bros)

Leisure software charts compiled by Chart Track, (C) 2014 UKIE Ltd.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/03/thief...castlevania-lords-of-shadows-2-flops-4390118/
Thief sneaks to top of UK chart, as Castlevania: Lords Of Shadows 2 flops
Monday 3 Mar 2014 11:33 am
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
print_240214_ss13_1391703633.jpg

Thief – stealing away with the number one spot
The race to the number one spot has proven a relatively easy one for Thief, as Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare also does well.

Square Enix’s reboot of Thief has been a bigger hit than many might have predicted, despite its poor critical response. In fact it achieved the second highest sales for any number one this year, behind FIFA 14. Although that’s not too hard considering how few major new releases have been out so far.

Thanks to the traditional incompetence of video game publishers the weeks of barren release schedules was broken by three big name games all coming out at the same time last Friday.

No doubt thanks to its substantial marketing campaign Thief was clearly the biggest winner, although it’s interesting that 75 per cent of its sales were on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

The PlayStation 4 accounted for 46 per cent of all sales, the Xbox One 29 per cent, the Xbox 360 14 per cent, and the PlayStation 3 just 8 per cent.

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare also did better on Xbox One compared to Xbox 360, at 57 per cent to 43 per cent. Some have questioned Respawn’s predictions of Titanfall selling best on the Xbox One, but based on these results that now seems almost guaranteed.

Whether EA regrets making Titanfall an Xbox exclusive is unclear but they’re certainly likely to wish they hadn’t done the same for Garden Warfare. As ever there are no sales figures to compare but it seems possible it could have been this week’s number one if it had also been on the PlayStation 4.

You wouldn’t have though being last gen-only would’ve been much of a problem for Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2, but it’s severely underperformed compared to the other new releases.

It sold less than the first Lords Of Shadow did in its debut and the PlayStation 3 version only managed to get to number 15 in the individual formats chart, with the Xbox 360 version stuck at number 25.

That means it did worse than Japanese role-player remake Tales Of Symphonia Chronicles, which got to number 14 in the individual formats chart and 13 in the all formats. Controversial 3DS game Senran Kagura Burst also made it to number 38 in the all formats chart.

This Friday isn’t quite as busy but South Park: The Stick Of Truth (360/PS3/PC) certainly has a good chance of becoming next week’s new number one.

UK individual formats chart – 1 March

1 (-) Thief (PS4)
2 (-) Thief (XO)
3 (1) The Lego Movie Videogame (360)
4 (-) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (XO)
5 (-) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360)
6 (-) Thief (360)
7 (2) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
8 (5) FIFA 14 (360)
9 (10)FIFA 14 (XO)
10(3) The Lego Movie Videogame (PS3)

UK all formats chart – 1 March

1 (-) Thief (360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC)
2 (1) The Lego Movie Videogame (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC/3DS/PSV)
3 (2) FIFA 14 (PS2/Wii/360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC/PSP/3DS/PSV)
4 (-) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360/XO)
5 (3) Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)
6 (4) Battlefield 4 (360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC)
7 (5) Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC/3DS/PSV)
8 (6) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
9 (8) Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)
10(-) Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2 (360/PS3/PC)
Better news comes soon after, though, with: http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/10/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-steals-uk-number-one-from-thief-4509637/
South Park: The Stick Of Truth steals UK number one from Thief
Monday 10 Mar 2014 10:01 am
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
1372160554_1370957452_spsot_screenshot10_e3_130610_4h15pmpt.jpg

South Park: The Stick Of Truth – doing licensed games right
The new South Park tie-in was the best-selling video game in the UK last week, as the new consoles gave way for one of the final big last gen-only releases.

Since it’s a) South Park and b) a really good game there never seemed much danger of The Stick Of Truth not getting to number number one this week, even though it’s not on next gen formats.

As Chart-Track point out it’s the first role-playing game to hit number one since Ni No Kuni early last year, although its role-playing qualities are unlikely to be the primary reason most people bought it.

As the only game in the top 10, other than Minecraft, not to be on Xbox One or PlayStation 4 the game saw 53 per cent of sales go to the Xbox 360, 41 per cent to the PlayStation 3, and 6 per cent to the uncensored PC version.

Thief saw sales drop by 48 per cent in its second week but word of mouth seems to be helping the surprisingly good Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, which slipped by only 1 per cent and rose one place in the all formats chart to number three.

Last Friday was quieter for new releases than the last few weeks, with Pac-Man And The Ghostly Adventures the only other new entry at number 21 in the all formats chart.

This Friday though is a different matter, with Titanfall and Dark Souls II both battling for the number one spot. Given the marketing hype you’d assume Titanfall to be the favourite to get there, but it’s only on Xbox One and PC compared to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 for Dark Souls II.

UK individual formats chart – 8 March

1 (-) South Park: The Stick Of Truth (360)
2 (-) South Park: The Stick Of Truth (PS3)
3 (1) Thief (PS4)
4 (5) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360)
5 (3) The Lego Movie Videogame (360)
6 (2) Thief (XO)
7 (4) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (XO)
8 (7) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
9 (6) Thief (360)
10(9) FIFA 14 (XO)

UK all formats chart – 8 March

1 (-) South Park: The Stick Of Truth (360/PS3/PC)
2 (1) Thief (360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC)
3 (4) Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (360/XO)
4 (2) The Lego Movie Videogame (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC/3DS/PSV)
5 (3) FIFA 14 (PS2/Wii/360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC/PSP/3DS/PSV)
6 (5) Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)
7 (8) Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition (360)
8 (6) Battlefield 4 (360/PS3/XO/PS4/PC)
9 (7) Lego Marvel Super Heroes (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC/3DS/PSV)
10(9) Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag (360/PS3/Wii U/XO/PS4/PC)

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
partly because thief PC was bundled with amd cards?

It's not the PC version's lack of prominence that I'm point out here. That was pretty much a given.

There are still many more 360s and PS3s out there than there are next-gens.

retardation

Learned

Is it possible to finish a level without stealing anything? What is the loot used for otherwise?

You buy things with it, but most of the time the equipment is not needed. I finished the game with shooting a couple of blast arrows on freaks, using around 5-8 rope arrows, around 6 sawtooth arrows and not more than 20 water arrows. And I was not trying to ghost anything.

argan

Augur
So I tried it today...the one most glaring error design-wise that they made, which is seldom mentioned is that there is no fucking darkness! Hiding in the shadows feels more like "hiding in the dark blue part of the street". What the hell?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Verily, blue darkness is the article of faith which separates the wheat from the chaff. Even among the supposedly hardcore "taffers" who prowl TTLG, you will find heretics who complain most bitterly if you make even a slightly darkish fan mission, where finding your way across a dark environment is part of the challenge. Personal experience. You very rarely see a mission which is as genuinely dark as the LGS originals.

Shitty LCD screens are one reason for this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom