Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Bitcher1

Cipher
Blech. But I suppose somebody had to do it. News articles on Thiaf sales.

It's just for the UK market, though, no? Being #1 in one country doesn't really mean that much for an AAA release, and UK is known for its consoletard decline preferences, anyway.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Verily, blue darkness is the article of faith which separates the wheat from the chaff. Even among the supposedly hardcore "taffers" who prowl TTLG, you will find heretics who complain most bitterly if you make even a slightly darkish fan mission, where finding your way across a dark environment is part of the challenge. Personal experience. You very rarely see a mission which is as genuinely dark as the LGS originals.

I had to increase the brightness a lot in my contest mission because of that. Me and my testers played it fine and it was intended to be very dark.

Turjan

Arcane
Blech. But I suppose somebody had to do it. News articles on Thiaf sales.
It's just for the UK market, though, no? Being #1 in one country doesn't really mean that much for an AAA release, and UK is known for its consoletard decline preferences, anyway.

I think the main point is that there are no games available for XBone and PS4. This means that people have to buy what's available. In comes Thi4f...

Skunkpew

Augur
Source faggot.

At Vgchartz, they have Thief selling about 500,000 copies across 5 different platforms. Although that's the week ending March 1. I'm amazed they haven't updated it yet, but they will.
Sales by system so far:
PS4: 260,000
XBoxOne: 160,000
Windows: 20,000
PS3: 40,000
XBox360: 20,000

But they lost money on Tomb Raider when it sold 3.6 million copies and cost 100 million to make, how much are they going to lose on this abomination if it doesn't get near to that?

Divinity: Original Sin
I hope someone is compiling a list of every one who has admitted to playing this game. You never know when the next committee of un-Codexian activities will crawl up, and it would be a grave sin to allow these barbarous traitors to escape justice.

Still resisting here... in fact it's quite easy. Each passing day i even forget about thiaf. In fact I'm kind of addicted to play FM for all previous thief games, and darkmod.

Oesophagus

Arcane
Each passing day i even forget about thiaf.

Pretty much, what I expected happened, add some really lulzy bugs I didn't expect and that's it. At least this is a series which is most likey dead and burried, which is better than F3 levels of raising dead

Divinity: Original Sin

Pretty much, what I expected happened, add some really lulzy bugs I didn't expect and that's it. At least this is a series which is most likey dead and burried, which is better than F3 levels of raising dead

Well, for me it's alive and well, since there's so many FMs for me to catch up.

Azazel

Arbiter
Verily, blue darkness is the article of faith which separates the wheat from the chaff. Even among the supposedly hardcore "taffers" who prowl TTLG, you will find heretics who complain most bitterly if you make even a slightly darkish fan mission, where finding your way across a dark environment is part of the challenge. Personal experience. You very rarely see a mission which is as genuinely dark as the LGS originals.

Shitty LCD screens are one reason for this.

I am really sad that my 720p CRT is finally starting to die. I've lugged the thing around for years so that I can play 90's games without the shit faux-black that LCD panels display, and it's basically impossible to find working ones now. :negative:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I am really sad that my 720p CRT is finally starting to die. I've lugged the thing around for years so that I can play 90's games without the shit faux-black that LCD panels display, and it's basically impossible to find working ones now. :negative:
Some day we'll get OLEDs with true blacks. Some day.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
Thief Gold looks majestic on my Samsung SyncMaster 757NF, which I bought for...dunno, equivalent of 7 euros?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Shitty LCD screens are one reason for this.

You can find plenty of used ones on places like ebay.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, for me it's alive and well, since there's so many FMs for me to catch up.

And there are still FMs being made, and with NewDark and the DarkMod standalone, there is no end in sight...

Thiaf will be forgotten in a year, while the originals and TDM will live on forever.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm guessing Thiaf will still be kicking around in a year, but only because there will be awards being handed out for shittiest game of the year, etc.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
720p CRT? What kind of monitor is that?

DraQ

Arcane
A shitty one?

My first monitor got up to at least 768p (if not higher) and this was around the times of p133.

Azazel

Arbiter
A shitty one?

My first monitor got up to at least 768p (if not higher) and this was around the times of p133.

1024x768 is not 720p, you need at least 1280x720 to display that and those CRT's didn't come out till pretty late in the lifecycle.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
VGC reports copies shipped, not copies sold, afair.
VGC reports what their ass tells them.

Thiaf will probably do at least moderatly well on new consoles, but only because there's nothing else out there.

Let’s have a list!

Original Garrett: Was an older bloke, a little on the homely side, who had an appealingly intelligent character. His dry wit was the perfect foil to the world of Thief, which stopped things from becoming oh so seriousface’d. He was incredibly honest about his place in life which made him more of an anti-hero than anything else.

New Garrett:
BECAUSE I'M THIAFMAN! The new Garrett is a generic ‘badass’ who wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between actual humour and incessant pop-culture references. A fully-realised three dimensional character boiled down into an archetype, which I hate oh so much. He’s THIEFMAN, he THIEFS, and he THIEFS broodily. BECAUSE HE’S THIEFMAN. Or maybe THIAFMAN.

In other words, Garrett takes himself so seriously to the point where he becomes a joke, but the kind of joke that makes you feel sad for him rather than anything else.

Original Garrett: Mostly looked out for number one unless there was a threat that was… incompatible with his future prospects, then he’d take an interest because it was down to his survival. This meant that that he was a very believable, and ultimately a very human hero. We had a character whose motivations were, for once, not uncanny valley by nature.

Oh, and he had a properly mechanical eye.

New Garrett:I’M GONNA SAVE THE CITY, AND SAVE THE GIRL, BECAUSE I’M THIAFMAN! And I’m going to brood about it a little bit, too. Brood, brood, brood. Save everyone. Brood. I may steal something too, but only because I feel obligated due to the name of the game.

Oh, and look at my Apple iSight implant, it looks so clean and magical!

Old Guards:Um… are–are you all right? N–no, no, of course you’re not all right! Sorry.

Wunna these days I’m not goin’ ta be a guard any more, I’ll be a… a manor lord! I’m goin’ ta ‘ire a buncha guards, put ‘em all on night patrol, then sneak up behind ‘em and say ‘oi, d’you ‘ear that?’ Watch ‘em jump!

Wossat smell? Smells like… eh? Smells like old meat. Hrm, couldn’t be me, I bathed just three days ago.

They were charismatic in their drunken, loutish way. And genuinely funny, too. Even Deadly Shadows had some brilliant moments with guards, laugh out loud stuff. The writing was clever and memorable.

That and they had fun cusses like taffer.

New guards: They say fuck a lot, don’t they? My, oh my, do they ever say fuck. Fucky fucky fuck ducky duck fuck.

I guess it’s because we’re all thickos and we couldn’t comprehend that another reality with a different culture might not have its own words for things. No, that’s inconceivable.

Also, my personal favourite quote?

YOU can SMELL the RIVER from HERE!!!!!!!

Yep, those are some particularly charismatic and funny guards, right there. Yep.

And, really, I could go on. It just annoys me because it’s a gormless, charmless, characterless medieval Batman game. If they’d called it Rogue, and the main character Garriott, then I’d have been far less annoyed at it.

I look forward to a future when publishers aren’t such cowardly pissants that they can be brave with interesting, new IPs. IPs that have their own character and charm, made for intelligent people because, hey, we’re not all so completely thick that we need taffer replaced with fucker.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Fen, a guy who does many Thief LPs on youtube (including FMs and Darkmod), is attempting to do one of the New Thief.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom