Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline - Eidos Forum Refugee Camp

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

Growing up, were you one of those children who would have rather played with dog turds than to play with no toys at all?

Sometimes something is not necessarily better than nothing. Hell knows I love the stealth genre myself, but I at least have standards.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sometimes something is not necessarily better than nothing. Hell knows I love the stealth genre myself, but I at least have standards.

Maybe, but I'm sure it's equally possible you're massively butthurt about the name on the box and missing a relatively decent stealth game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Maybe, but I'm sure it's equally possible you're massively butthurt about the name on the box and missing a relatively decent stealth game.

Gameplay videos definitely seem to indicate otherwise.

Rubbish is rubbish, no matter what it's called.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Here's a good Thief community trolling guide.
Hope you girls learn something new for/about yourself.

nuthiaf.jpg

Sonus

Educated
Fanworks aren't official, fnaworks cannot cross certain legal lines or fully embrace an IP, and while there are many that excel, many more don't, and many don't even care to uphold a standard. Thief-based fanworks don't affect the industry very much, nor demonstrate to the publishers the niche audience is worth developing games for.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fanworks aren't official, fnaworks cannot cross certain legal lines or fully embrace an IP, and while there are many that excel, many more don't, and many don't even care to uphold a standard. Thief-based fanworks don't affect the industry very much, nor demonstrate to the publishers the niche audience is worth developing games for.
wut

Azazel

Arbiter
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
And Deadly Shadows was just a total conversion of Invisible War.

Divinity: Original Sin
If there were literally a thousands stealth classics from history to play like there are RPGs I could see ignoring a modern one, but there aren't.

http://www.thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?search=&sort=release#m

I didn't realize mod levels were entirely new games. Mind = blown.

Well... the worst thief FM is a better stealth game than any other stealth in any other game franchise. I just realise I like Stealth genre because of thief. If there was no thief TDP, but all the "stealth"games that came later existed in the same way they are, stealth would be just a gameplay element. Since I played thief, I payed attention to every game that mentioned having stealth as a gameplay device, or being part the "genre" stealth, and NONE of them came even close to what thief did, except early splinter cells and dishonored... but they're still inferior.

I bet there are "one level" FM that take longer to finish than thiaf, and without making you get bored.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
DalekFlay I can assure you this game is not worth playing, "stealth" game or not (it's not).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I just did the prologue and chapter one and it's certainly a stealth game, not sure how it could be anything else. I played on master mode and the guards actually see you super easy, and taking one out from behind makes a lot of noise. It also instantly game-overs if you attack anyone else.

Anyway it seemed half terrible and half decent. Most of it was a straight line walking simulator, which was terrible, but certain areas once I got to Stonemarket were more open and fun. The jewelry store felt like classic Thief quite a bit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Well... the worst thief FM is a better stealth game than any other stealth in any other game franchise.

FUCK. NO.

Just like there exist brilliant mods for games, there also exist bad ones. The Thief series are no exception. I've played about 95% of all FMs made for Thief 1/2. Trust me, there are some truly bad ones out there.

Well... the worst thief FM is a better stealth game than any other stealth in any other game franchise.

FUCK. NO.

Just like there exist brilliant mods for games, there also exist bad ones. The Thief series are no exception. I've played about 95% of all FMs made for Thief 1/2. Trust me, there are some truly bad ones out there.

:troll:

Sorry sir, I know that... it was an extreme quote. I was actually disconsidering FMs that are like kids drawings, unplayable, too terrible to even bother... By worst, I actually meant things like "keeper of the prophecies", and in your case... "calendra's legacy"...

The worst of the worst, those I don't consider they exist at all... just like thief 4 never existed...

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's basically what Thief 2 was :troll:
Now there is a post worth three monocles. :obviously::obviously::obviously: Thief 2 is a classic because of a few great levels (Shipping and Receiving, Bank and of course Life of the Party), and the hundreds and hundreds of fan missions. If the game industry hadn't turned into the colossal shitheap it became, and we had seen a range of new games building from the Thief/DX/SS2 formula, we would rightfully see the basic game as a deeply flawed mission disk instead of a masterpiece. LGS shovelware before they moved on to their next big hit.
Unfortunately, the deeply flawed mission disk still comes out light years ahead of other games. :decline:

Sorry sir, I know that... it was an extreme quote. I was actually disconsidering FMs that are like kids drawings, unplayable, too terrible to even bother... By worst, I actually meant things like "keeper of the prophecies", and in your case... "calendra's legacy"...
What did Keeper of the Prophecies do to you to deserve that?

What did Keeper of the Prophecies do to you to deserve that?

too big, readables that are entire books, disconected missions, slow cutscenes...

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The above-named FMs aren't the truly bad ones I was referring to. I don't remember the names of any of the bad ones right now except maybe "The Acid Trip", but I'm talking about FMs that actually got released that had, at best, half a good idea behind them. FMs that had the same lighting throughout, no consideration for shadows, tuned-up AIs that could catch up with you in a blink of an eye and smite you, stuff like that.

Azazel

Arbiter
Oh, and by the way, I have a simple solution for tester driven decline - just fire the tester(s) who were the slowest on the uptake.

Most places get massive kickbacks from the government for hiring "undesirables" as their QA, at least in Canada: EA notoriously used to staff their Burnaby campus with homeless crackheads, before they outsourced to Volt. Volt is well known for hiring people who are mentally disabled, as well as the homeless, since they can write off a huge portion of their minimum-wage salary as tax deductible.

Vibalist

Arcane
And what is this shit of being seen meaning game over?

I think that's just the tutorial. As far as I remember, the Thief 1 tutorial did pretty much the same thing (replay the stealth section until the keeper doesn't spot you, etc.).

As Dalekflay already said, playing on master difficulty or some such apparantly leads to game over if you kill someone, which is just like expert difficulty in the old games. I don't think being spotted is insta game over in the regular missions (though I could be wrong, I haven't played this). But basically none of this is different from Thief 1 and 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom