Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The original Tomb Raider, its remake, and the loss of subtlety

It always depends on the publisher. I've heard enough podcasts with former game journalists (magazines) who every now and then told an anecdote or two. So while one can maybe get away with trashing games from small and maybe medium-sized publishers, big ones may just blacklist you, meaning the competing magazines (and there were a lot) get access to pre-release versions, developer interviews, publishing material while you get nothing. Something like that is not really feasible, especially back in the day when the internet wasn't really widespread and when it was limited.
and the easiest way out is: "we wanted to review x but its publisher blacklisted us because we said their previous shit was shit. they are hiding something guys, and it's never a good sign".
you can't be blacklisted twice, YOU have the power, but instead journos gave it away in order to earn peanuts. because you're not going to be bribed with big moneyz, you are and always be a nobody.

Lucumo

Educated
It always depends on the publisher. I've heard enough podcasts with former game journalists (magazines) who every now and then told an anecdote or two. So while one can maybe get away with trashing games from small and maybe medium-sized publishers, big ones may just blacklist you, meaning the competing magazines (and there were a lot) get access to pre-release versions, developer interviews, publishing material while you get nothing. Something like that is not really feasible, especially back in the day when the internet wasn't really widespread and when it was limited.
and the easiest way out is: "we wanted to review x but its publisher blacklisted us because we said their previous shit was shit. they are hiding something guys, and it's never a good sign".
you can't be blacklisted twice, YOU have the power, but instead journos gave it away in order to earn peanuts. because you're not going to be bribed with big moneyz, you are and always be a nobody.
In theory, sure. But like I said, you have a bunch of competing magazines. Those will have giant Lara Croft pictures on the cover and will attract buyers while you have...who knows what, definitely not the hottest, most expected thing around. Not to mention your review will be a month late, because you didn't get a pre-release version. It's not really financially viable over a longer period of time, unless you have a strong fanbase which buys your magazine exactly for that. But with all the other magazines around, it's more likely they would switch to a still decent, but slightly less "honest" (in regards to big publishers who did/do that kind of practice) one. Unfortunately, in the end, money pays the bills, not ideals. Nowadays, it's absolutely feasible to rag on awful games and shitty publisher practices. But that's because the audience has since, obviously, grown a lot and the noise is much, much higher, as "advertisement" for a game (which it technically always was) isn't just limited to magazines.
Something specific to the cover was the option to use alternative methods, like a real person, as certain Japanese magazines often did. I know one magazine which did that here but dropped it after a while. After all, paying for those photos was probably pretty expensive too, and not really worthwhile.

Only copy I've ever bought from that one:
pcaction_12_9927fup.jpg

Creepy nerds probably liked this:
pcaction_4_9976em2.jpg

well, back in my day there were TWO magazines about videogames. just two. one of which sold 90% of its copies only because of the free game it came with. they both had no excuse for not being honest with their readers other than blind, ferocious, disgusting greed (worthy of note is that they're being bought with a handshake and some merchandise). fast forward few years, as soon as the free games lost relevance, the "90%" one died. the only one, the remaining one, the surviving one, kept its corrupt ways.
besides, let's not tell fairytales, the moment word gets out "you are the only honest one" attention is going to focus on you, especially since this is the online era.
things are as they are because everybody gets something in return and they all don't give a fuck about being real journalists. for this reason journos shall always be a joke.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik

I think the age of the developers is pretty important. Most great mathematical advances and rock albums are made by people in their early twenties.
I dont know too much about the demographics of a lot of classic video games companies, but the ones I do know about tended to be very young. John Carmack being 22 when DOOM was released, JVC and Richard Garriott starting as teenagers and so on.
Looking up Tomb raider it looks to be have been a bunch of folk in their early twenties, from dates I can find. Nu-Tomb raider was lead by a guy in his 40's.
I think it's more culture. 1990s developers were prestigious geeks, in love with Star Trek, Tolkien, Star Wars, Hellraiser, Dune, heavy metal, etc. Geeks should make geek things, and if normies wanna jump on the train, they can, but geeks eventually let them buy the whole railway. By 2010, almost all of the original culture of the industry had been cleansed, in favour of graduates who might have seen a couple of Farscape episodes once, or 'performative geeks' who think the scene is cool.

No use hiring a 22 year old, if he gets all his opinions off Screenrant.
Hmm, that actually reminds me of that picture with 90s, 00s and 10s journalists where it goes from fellow fans to serious and cynic to degenerate and disconnected.

f59.jpg
Nostalgia Critic reviewed movies, AVGN reviewed the games

fork

I was talking to someone on sven about Dino Crisis being one of my favorites and he complained about the camera and the controls, obviously a zoomer. Mother fucker it's PS1! What the fuck do you expect?! Also, the point isn't to be gears of war it's to be its own thing... a survival horror game.

There's no other genre/game that is as intense as trying to dodge velociraptors in a small maze with no ammo and blocking them off with laser fences. Also, the puzzles are all great. The atmosphere is great. The story is cheesy 80's great. It's fuckin great, you ingrates.
Retards cannot into tank controls + fixed cam angles.

Edit: Warcraft 2 is still glorious.

Lucumo

Educated

I think the age of the developers is pretty important. Most great mathematical advances and rock albums are made by people in their early twenties.
I dont know too much about the demographics of a lot of classic video games companies, but the ones I do know about tended to be very young. John Carmack being 22 when DOOM was released, JVC and Richard Garriott starting as teenagers and so on.
Looking up Tomb raider it looks to be have been a bunch of folk in their early twenties, from dates I can find. Nu-Tomb raider was lead by a guy in his 40's.
I think it's more culture. 1990s developers were prestigious geeks, in love with Star Trek, Tolkien, Star Wars, Hellraiser, Dune, heavy metal, etc. Geeks should make geek things, and if normies wanna jump on the train, they can, but geeks eventually let them buy the whole railway. By 2010, almost all of the original culture of the industry had been cleansed, in favour of graduates who might have seen a couple of Farscape episodes once, or 'performative geeks' who think the scene is cool.

No use hiring a 22 year old, if he gets all his opinions off Screenrant.
Hmm, that actually reminds me of that picture with 90s, 00s and 10s journalists where it goes from fellow fans to serious and cynic to degenerate and disconnected.

f59.jpg
[...]AVGN reviewed the games
Always preferred his movie reviews over him ranting like a 13-year-old about old games.

ironmask

Arbiter
One thing all Tomb Raider fans should check out is Sabatu's TR1, made by a mapper who is hopefully going on to work on TR2 and TR3.
Don't worry, he is. Most of TR 2 is done it will release early this year.

Though he is skipping TR3 for now and is focusing on remaking TR4.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I will never understand the Dino Crisis love. I played it for the first time in 2018, as a 90s gaming fanatic I had to check it out sooner or later. The gameplay is completely uninspired (Resident Evil but strip down everything, from weapon and enemy variety, inventory management, to most notably the level design, making it pretty linear), there is barely a plot, it's a very short game, it's in full 3D when all the good PS1 survival horrors were pre-rendered for good reason (only exception being silent hill which I give a pass to for a couple reasons)...
Yes overall it is far from the worst game ever, but it's really not special at all. When someone claims it's great I strongly question that individual's standards. Didn't play enough late 90s games most likely. Survival Horror had Resident Evil 1-3, Silent Hill, System Shock 2, Parasite Eve 2, Martian Gothic...it's just a boring ass dino game by comparison. Sure the T-Rex coming after you often in the first half is epic and velociraptors are cool, but the game needs some real substance, not just theatrics.
Speaking of Resident Evil. How much is it a copy of Alone in the Dark (controls, system, graphic style/type, atmosphere)? All the horror games like that always get called "Resident Evil"-clone but Alone in the Dark basically never gets any recognition.
They're called resident evil clones because those other games were specifically copying resident evil. Alone in the dark did it earlier but resident evil did it better, and was more popular particularly in japan where you had a bunch of those RE-like games, and caused a subsequent boom of that style of game. Not uncommon for something to technically do something earlier but not be responsible for a trend, whereas something coming later initiates a bunch of imitators (like halloween and friday the 13th starting the slasher movie boom even though other earlier movies could be called slashers, or like a lot of fps games in the 90s being called Doom-clones and not Wolf3D-clones). Alone in the dark gets plenty of recognition anyway, it always gets mentioned in articles about the earliest survival horror games and the developers cite it as an influence.

Semiurge

Cipher
Though he is skipping TR3 for now and is focusing on remaking TR4.

TR4's maps are easier to navigate so maybe his choice was right - it needs his challenging take on the levels more than TR3, and as a bonus it will look superb thanks to the TR4 graphics. Since it's 99% Egypt, there's a chance he'll make a longer Cambodia section. There's also the possibility that he'll port in the tightrope-walking and the other two new mechanics from Chronicles that has the same engine. I don't know if it's possible without using Chronicles' buggy asf build though. It's like TR4 got the finished build and they used a beta for Chronicles...

Last edited:

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Speaking of Resident Evil. How much is it a copy of Alone in the Dark (controls, system, graphic style/type, atmosphere)? All the horror games like that always get called "Resident Evil"-clone but Alone in the Dark basically never gets any recognition.
There's definitely enough shared parts that you could call RE a clone of AitD, but there are enough differences in RE's favor that its superior. RE focuses more on ranged combat, and you have a better chance of actually hitting something with a gun in RE. Melee in AitD is more viable, but easy to cheese and get cheesed. RE also has a bunch of limitations where AitD doesn't, like inventory and health. AitD is more overtly goofy than RE, and has a more cartoonish artstyle, even before the franchise went off the rails. They also have very different sources of inspiration; AitD is a take off Lovecraft and haunted house films, while RE owes its inspirations to zombie films and Italian horror. Sometimes in the latter's case to the point of outright stealing shots from those films. So despite the same general setting, they have very different atmospheres.

Curratum

I'd donate ten bucks to get the autism reaction button, then wear it out just in this thread.

Viata

Arcane
good remake
Super Mario All Stars
Not even close:
IZ3wICg.png

Super Mario Bros 3 had a theatre theme, as one can see from the main title:
smb3_title.png

So at the end of every level, you had this scenery outline:
smb3_level_end.png

Which gives the impression of Mario leaving the stage. Sadly, they removed this from remake:
smas-smb3_level_end.png

The last world's first stage was completely like that to give you the impression that shit is now serious and not just a show, everything is happening in the backstage. Sadly, they also killed this in the remake:
y8jQAnU.png

Then we have this beautiful starry background in underground areas:
smb3_w1-5.png

Replace with generic underground background:
smas-smb3_w1-5.png

They even fucked up hidden blocks hints:
smb3_underground-bg.png
smas-smb3_underground-bg.png

You can easily see where there is a hidden block in the left image.
Fuck that game.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Personally I do not find those changes that horrible since you can still play the NES versions. They were nice to have in one decent collection. That autisim you showed shows to me that you care too much about shit I do not care about.

Neuromancer

Augur
I love original Tomb Raider and this webm shows my hate for modern versions:
https://webmshare.com/play/ewj0L
PS: how to post webm here?
If this Webm should prove that Tomb Raider II is less linear than Tomb Raider 2013, it chooses a very bad example, though.

In this specific part of the first level of Tomb Raider II, you are indeed very much on rails. You have to run forward the whole time, couldn't stop for too long, because otherwise you'll die and you can't backtrack either.
In fact, it might be the most linear part of the whole (otherwise very open) game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I love original Tomb Raider and this webm shows my hate for modern versions:
https://webmshare.com/play/ewj0L
PS: how to post webm here?
If this Webm should prove that Tomb Raider II is less linear than Tomb Raider 2013, it chooses a very bad example, though.

In this specific part of the first level of Tomb Raider II, you are indeed very much on rails. You have to run forward the whole time, couldn't stop for too long, because otherwise you'll die and you can't backtrack either.
In fact, it might be the most linear part of the whole (otherwise very open) game.
Isn't it rather showing the difference in how much scope there is to fuck up in a "dramatic" scripted escape sequence? The reboot sequence feels almost like a QTE and is borderline impossible to fail. The bottom line being the gameplay is worse.

Lemming42

Arcane
Akin to this old image:

iNYlGut.png

The TR2 segment is one of the most dense and fun parts of the game because the player retains full control at all times, and every single obstacle must be overcome with skill and quick reactions, whereas TR2013 literally just requires the player to hold down the W key and sometimes jump to a different ledge (and I'm not even sure it allows the player to fuck that up).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom