Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Outer Worlds Gameplay Footage, Previews and Interviews

Quillon

Arcane
Stealth seems to be from Deadfire; enemies' awareness area seems to be small, which could be for the better since levels won't be too big.

DeepOcean

Arcane
On the 90's, we got "This is a new mysterious Ip named Fallout with alot other new IPs, discover the mystery of it."

On 2018, "PLAY FALLOUT ON SPACE WITH THE SAME GAMEPLAY OF FALLOUT NEW VEGAS INCLUDING THE JANK, ISN'T THAT GREAT? PLAY LIKE EVERY FPS GAME EVER, DON'T BE AFRAID, IT ISN"T ORIGINAL ON NOTHING."

Oh boy... I gonna play this in the end as I play anything remotely RPG about it but I'm not optimist about it, hope they knock out of the park with world building but post 2012 Obsidian isn't exactly inspiring confidence on that front, we will see if Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will do any difference, they are the only reason I'm remotely curious about this.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I think the player is also not doing the game and combat any favours, he is really bad at aiming and shooting things.

However, the combat in this game needs to be severe, please don't make it another fallout3/NV/4 attrition grind fest.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
On the 90's, we got "This is a new mysterious Ip named Fallout with alot other new IPs, discover the mystery of it."

On 2018, "PLAY FALLOUT ON SPACE WITH THE SAME GAMEPLAY OF FALLOUT NEW VEGAS INCLUDING THE JANK, ISN'T THAT GREAT? PLAY LIKE EVERY FPS GAME EVER, DON'T BE AFRAID, IT ISN"T ORIGINAL ON NOTHING."

Oh boy... I gonna play this in the end as I play anything remotely RPG about it but I'm not optimist about it, hope they knock out of the park with world building but post 2012 Obsidian isn't exactly inspiring confidence on that front, we will see if Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky will do any difference, they are the only reason I'm remotely curious about this.

Merry fucking christmas goyim

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think the player is also not doing the game and combat any favours, he is really bad at aiming and shooting things.

However, the combat in this game needs to be severe, please don't make it another fallout3/NV/4 attrition grind fest.

Do you have any cospiracy about white supermacists leonard and tim?

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Do you have any cospiracy about white supermacists leonard and tim?

No, other devs at Obsidian are not associated with Sawyer's fascist tendencies. Also because Sawyer is not involved with this game except consulting capacity we won't see nazism in it.

Last edited:

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
To have a peculiar atmosphere/vibe/feeling of its own?
atmosphere/vibe/feeling - all subjective, can't be count as actual definition since facts doesn't care about feelings.
This game looks like a mix of cliches as well. There's nothing original to it, it looks generic as fuck.
Can be said about any game ever, it's mater of tastes. Yearly games of Fallout series had shitload cliche from retro-futurism, Arcanum had cliche from steampunk fantasy, BG had Tolkien vibe. They also was generic and bad?
Vibe is not altogether subjective, it's essentially a matter of art and music direction.

Everything is inspired by something, which doesn't mean everything is a cliche. A cliche is something very often made and is therefore not original and not interesting. This game looks like many games before it, which is why people refer to them - not only on this forum.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
When all you see daily is spreadsheets, txt documents, file folders, and bland utilities anything and everything looks good. it looks ok to me but watching isn’t playing.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Finally some contemporary non-politically correct game:

JBAqrki.jpg

incline.png
incline.png
incline.png
:d1p:
Can't believe no one has posted it yet.

Edit:
Strange Fellow
It's not fake, I've really photoshopped it.

Vulpes

Scholar
I can't remember the last time I wanted a game to be moddable at launch this badly. Just look at that gunplay. It looks like a barebones clone of Borderlands. Is it too much to ask for good combat in a first person RPG nowadays? Now, don't get me wrong. I wasn't expecting it to play like Quake or ARMA, but something akin to Far Cry 2 or maybe even (the sadly cancelled) Prey 2 would've been nice

selkin

Liturgist
I don't mind the color palette of the game, I'm actually happy it has colors other than grey, green and brown.

The monsters and creatures are reminding me a bit of the creatures in J.K. Rowlings' Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them movie. The movie I think was shit but some of the monsters' design were all right.
582d0dc170296621008b4675-960-400.jpg

Also maybe I'm biased because of the fact that Tim and Leonard are behind this, but I think the style of dialogue text in the gameplay video is good. Nothing fancy, just written in a fun good style.

The big corporation, space cliche is also all right. The setting is good. If there will be enough good content, good mission and good story telling in the game I'm going to be happy.

One thing I'm amfraid is the FPS part. This looks like a shitty console FPS.
Anything that is not in par with Day of Defeat, Half Life 1, Quake1-3, or Rage in terms of movement control and frame rate is just pure pain to play with in my opinion.

But it's OK if the story and the atmosphere is good. I guess.

It's true, it's not a generic RPG

It's not even an RPG

It's just a generic game

Someone gets it. It's like genres don't even exist anymore. :negative:

i'd be ok with that (see my avatar, i liked that hybrid game), if they didn't forget point&click's.

matter of fact, my favorite genre is one that wasn't a genre when it was born, an "adventure".

but nooo, you can rewind time, choose dialogues, affect events with ethics, shoot, cast, develop a character and chop his limbs; but never ever dare to "pick up an object and use it someplace else". That would be an abomination of Azathoth.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

I would probably take his advice on Shimano or Sram bicycle chains. Unless his apparent taste on cycling is jsut a vapid superficial ornament on his wall.

Josh is a Campagnolo man.

edit: this thread though, man

nobody hates RPGs quite like the Codex

edit edit: that controller-driven movement gave me concussion

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom