Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Quillon

Arcane
I meant the one MCA described, the evul circle, the motherleveragers! Otherwise put Leonard's name there also, Creative Director.

Fairfax

Arcane
I meant the one MCA described, the evul circle, the motherleveragers! Otherwise put Leonard's name there also, Creative Director.
Oh, forgot about Boyarsky. Anyway, MCA made it clear that the scummy ones were Feargus and Parker, but that's unrelated to my original post.

Deleted Member 16721

I'm not worried about the gunplay, I'm sure it will all be built on a strong RPG foundation given that's what Tim and Leonard are going for. It should be fun enough to carry along the RPG, which is all that matters.

Terenty

Liturgist
So is Boyarsky the main writer or not? Thats the most important question

Deleted Member 16721

I heard Boyarsky and Cain approve the writing from a producer standpoint, not sure if Leonard is doing any writing himself though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"I think reactivity should be over the top. I think you should be thinking like you're making a children's cartoon or if you've watched anything on the Nicolodian, everything is very dramatic, very over-the-top, and that's what your NPCs should be like".

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Nicolodian :what:

But anyway, I don't see anything "over the top" about the NPCs shown here. Though I guess you could say they look more like Pixar characters (rather than Nickelodeon) what with their stupid raised eyebrow expressions and all.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nicolodian :what:

But anyway, I don't see anything "over the top" about the NPCs shown here. Though I guess you could say they look more like Pixar characters (rather than Nickelodeon) what with their stupid raised eyebrow expressions and all.
I know about the machines originally, but I guess he meant some TV show, and I was lazy to check the spelling.

Terenty

Liturgist
I used to watch Nicolodian when i was a kid, Kenan and Kel, Allen Strange, Rocco, Catdog...good times

Alexios

Augur
Patron
Everything in this game looks intentionally ugly. Like they went to Indonesia and decided to make a sci-fi game about it. You can't say it's just the decadence of a corporate society, either. Cyberpunk 2077 has that same premise and looks substantially better while also feeling more immersive.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"I think reactivity should be over the top. I think you should be thinking like you're making a children's cartoon or if you've watched anything on the Nicolodian, everything is very dramatic, very over-the-top, and that's what your NPCs should be like".

He immediatly clarifies what he means in regards to their Arcanum approach though.
I mean he's not wrong.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I can't believe it! I mean you, and then the zeppelin, and the fire! And the altar says that... Do you have any idea what all this means?!

Duraframe300

Arcane
I can't believe it! I mean you, and then the zeppelin, and the fire! And the altar says that... Do you have any idea what all this means?!

? Now you're just skipping around. ?

He talked shortly about his love for the intro when he came to Arcanum, but the meat was his point on shopkeepers reacting to you and so on. That being that regardless of your choice of class and race the world around you should react to that choice loudly, regardless if that situation demands for it.

Like in a cartoon where a charachter just has to point everything out in an exaggerrated way.
Basically choices, regardless of how small they are, have to be reflected by NPC's.

AwesomeButton

Patron

? Now you're just skipping around. ?

He talked shortly about his love for the intro when he came to Arcanum, but the meat was his point on shopkeepers reacting to you and so on. That being that regardless of your choice of class and race the world around you should react to that choice loudly, regardless if that situation demands for it.

Like in a cartoon where a charachter just has to point everything out in an exaggerrated way.
Basically choices, regardless of how small they are, have to be reflected by NPC's.
I was not arguing with anyone or trying to prove any point, dude :lol: It was just one of the first things that came into my mind when I heard Tim say what I quoted of the talk. I've played Arcanum's demo too many times at a too young age.

Anyway, I quoted this first as a hint of what we can expect in TOW and second as a juxtaposition of Sawyer's style. It was funny to hear Tim say this because I've been saying basically the same thing multiple times already, while trying to explain why I can't get excited about PoE's writing, while simultaneously I like its lore.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I do think that, if devs try to be too subtle with reactivity, a good chunk of players will totally miss that reactivity, so from a developer-perspective, going over-the-top in terms of calling out responses to the player's actions has better results.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I do think that, if devs try to be too subtle with reactivity, a good chunk of players will totally miss that reactivity, so from a developer-perspective, going over-the-top in terms of calling out responses to the player's actions has better results.
Thinking about it, I find that going over the top is already a norm even in non-interactive media, where the viewer isn't distracted by interactivity. It's pointless to try and have an NPC pull off Matt Damon's performance of Edward Wilson in a videogame. The only exception where muted performances could work is probably LA Noire, but was LA Noire even a game, if we compare it to a Bethesda clone?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
https://wccftech.com/the-outer-worlds-smaller-than-kotor-2/

The Outer Worlds Will Be a Bit Smaller Than Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Says Obsidian

A big-budget game that's being released on console and PC will be smaller than a game that is literally small enough to be played on a mobile phone. In 2019.
I don't think they're talking about the space it takes up on a hard drive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom