Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So did I step into twiligt zone or what am I getting this right? You both are saying Obsidian games are shit but they should be longer?

If Obsidian games are shit and not worth the price tag, just don't buy it?
Not really,i don't care how long their games are. The new obsidian has nothing to offer me,they were prized for the writing and nothing else. Now they don't have it,so i am not interested in their games. Still in the end i will pirate the game mainly because there is nothing else to play,for fuck sake i am even replaying elven legacy now. I am more annoyed at how people are closing their eyes and coming up with stupid excuses. A length is very important part of the RPG genre,any serious game should have a decent amount of hours in it. The most important part in most RPG is the side content and the exploration,you can't have much of that in 15 hour game. I consider 40-50 hours a prefect length for an RPG :obviously:. This just another cherry on top to be honest,first the writers are bunch of retarded tumbr cunts,lazy world building,that stupid system about negative traits,then dyke like characters.

VTMB: Bloodlines for me was 20-45 or so, if I remember correctly. Given the people involved and this being a similar style (first person real time instead of isometric rtwp or turn-based), I'd be plenty happy with anything in that range.
I agree,you could finish it in around 40 hours on first playtrough,in later replays you could do it in 20ish hours,skipping sewers and all that jazz. They talk about being less that kotor2,which means that either they are really slow/bad players or it will be around 15-20 hours on first playtrough.

Ever since I started working, I can't play those 100hr RPGs anymore.

Shorter RPGs means I can finally follow the story instead of forgetting everything that just happened.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
VTMB: Bloodlines for me was 20-45 or so
I agree,you could finish it in around 40 hours on first playtrough
VTM:B is barely over 20 hours, how in the hell are you two managing to stretch it to 40 hours?

I don't remember exactly how long it took me the first time, which is why I gave such a wide range. My first run did go pretty long though... for example, the haunted mansion took me well over an hour, whereas now it's just a matter of minutes.

None of which changes my point that I'd be happy with Outer Worlds being anything from 20-45. ;)

Latelistener

Arcane

Shorter RPGs means I can finally follow the story instead of forgetting everything that just happened.
Nowadays replayability is a bad thing.

They want to see everything in one walkthrough because "they don't have time replaying games", forgetting that games like Skyrim are like 300 hours long because of it, filled with fetch quests and have zero replay value.

RapineDel

Augur

Nowadays replayability is a bad thing.

They want to see everything in one walkthrough because "they don't have time replaying games", forgetting that games like Skyrim are like 300 hours long because of it, filled with fetch quests and have zero replay value.

The reason for this is the marketing and mindset behind these games is all about being there for the release and all the hype and 'discussion'.

Once that wears off after a couple of weeks then the game is now useless. These people have no need to even finish the game let alone replay it and it's why modern developers don't bother putting in any meaningful side content or worrying about finishing the game properly. As long as the first few hours are polished enough then that's good enough given the 20% of players who bother to finish it will be a minority with their complaints.

Skyrim is a good example as it still gets praise and talked about as the most immersive thing ever. I'd be happy to bet the majority of people who played it across/console PC simply wandered around aimlessly, did the odd quest, "killed shit" and that's about it. The people who spent the time doing all the guild quests, main story, non-radiant side quests are the ones who see the flaws and the problems with the game but again no one is interested in hearing about it as before you know it the next "big thing" is out for people to get excited about for two weeks.

Wunderbar

Arcane
As long as the first few hours are polished enough then that's good enough given the 20% of players who bother to finish it will be a minority with their complaints.
pathfinder-logo.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Doing everything possible takes about 30-40 hours. It's 20 if you rush through it. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10890
Looking at list online seems like I missed some Chinatown/Plus Patch stuff.
I don't think anyone will blame me for rushing through Combattown though.
:hmmm:
We are talking about first playtrough,not about how fast you could finish it on your 10th replay. I too can finish might and magic games in a day but it took me 60 hours my first time.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So did I step into twiligt zone or what am I getting this right? You both are saying Obsidian games are shit but they should be longer?

If Obsidian games are shit and not worth the price tag, just don't buy it?

Lets not kid ourselves, everybody and his mother here will buy and play the game extensively. Even the most vocal critics of POE1 bought and played POE2.

Efe

Erudite
got it some time after release and at discount.
they wont get my money blindly this time either. maybe you are the one kidding yourself?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Has anyone here consistently argued that CRPGs need to be longer? If your main complaint about The Outer Worlds turns out to be that it’s too short, that’s a high quality problem. I’d rather have a good 25-40 hour game than a mediocre 100-hour game. They could spend the money to add in a massive open world full of herbs to pick and endless radiant quests to fulfill, but who the fuck wants that?

I didn’t feel robbed by Fallout or PS:T or Bloodlines or MotB or AoD, five great CRPGs that are shorter than KOTOR2 (I didn’t feel robbed by KOTOR2 for that matter, at least not with the restored content mod). If Tim and Leonard leave you wanting more, it means they’ve done a good job.
I played Shadowrun Returns 5 times, around 12h per run. I played Shadowrun Hong Kong once, the game was a boring mess and I quit less than 10h in.

I also support shorted better made CRPGs.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Based on gamelengths.com, KOTOR 2's average play time is 38 hours. I imagine the Outer Worlds will be about 40 hours for most people's first playthrough, unless by "smaller than KOTOR 2" they mean about half the size of KOTOR 2.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Based on gamelengths.com, KOTOR 2's average play time is 38 hours. I imagine the Outer Worlds will be about 40 hours for most people's first playthrough, unless by "smaller than KOTOR 2" they mean about half the size of KOTOR 2.

Who needs 38h to finish Kotor 2? The game is definitly less than 30h long.

just

Liturgist

Who needs 38h to finish Kotor 2? The game is definitly less than 30h long.
guy measuring has counted all the cut content

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I KNOW that combat won't be the best part of this, but it does look better than the first footage. Weapons seem to have some oomph to them, and when he shot that due in the leg, he was staggering.

Deleted Member 16721

Still huge incline. Game will still be a Bloodlines-like and we're also getting a new sequel to Bloodlines from Paradox with Brian Mitsoda involved so we are once again reminded we're living in the Era of Incline.

Yosharian

Arcane
I KNOW that combat won't be the best part of this, but it does look better than the first footage. Weapons seem to have some oomph to them, and when he shot that due in the leg, he was staggering.
Wait there's new footage out?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom