Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Mooks wearing helmets that cover their faces is a cheap-ass design shortcut
Yeah, that's why storm troopers wore helmets too, they couldn't afford actors with faces :roll:
Storm troopers are members of one faction. In ToW various factions use the same helmet and costume.
The Storm troopers looking all alike had a specific narrative purpose and served to characterize their faction as such. In ToW, it's as I said - a cheap-ass design shortcut.

If you need a citation for ToW, watch the gameplay video again. If you need it for Star Wars, well, I can't teach you common sense.

Very weak comparison there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My criticism has always been that the game doesn't innovate/bring anything new to the genre. Tim and Leonard are known for innovation in RPGs. VTMB was a hugely ambitious game in its time, so was Arcanum, not to mention Fallout that was a genre-defining title for years. Do you seen anything special about ToW, besides it being advertised with these two names? Pray tell what it is.

While you could point at certain elements in those games that are innovative, I think it's a stretch to say that's what Tim and Leonard are "known for". They're known primarily for 1) a certain tone and feel (including humor, aspects of art design, etc) and 2) just plain good roleplaying and C&C. "Innovation" isn't crucial to those things.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
IHaveHugeNick , Duraframe300 , now is your chance to say what of what I said is wrong, factually incorrect. You have the floor.

Fella, you're pointing out flaws everybody expects from every Obsidian game. It's not that I disagree with you, it's just adorable how you're acting as if you're blowing people's minds with some thoughtful analysis that uncovers deeply hidden secrets.

"Hey you guys, I just discovered that Obisidan game has dated graphics and janky combat!!!!!!1111ONE"

Did you expect a thunderclap of applause and everybody thanking you for uncovering this totally unexpected information?

Lol.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I don't care about innovation. I'll take a safe RPG if it's well done. Formulas exist because they work.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
My criticism has always been that the game doesn't innovate/bring anything new to the genre. Tim and Leonard are known for innovation in RPGs. VTMB was a hugely ambitious game in its time, so was Arcanum, not to mention Fallout that was a genre-defining title for years. Do you seen anything special about ToW, besides it being advertised with these two names? Pray tell what it is.

While you could point at certain things in those games that are innovative, I think it's a stretch to say that's what Tim and Leonard are "known for". They're known for a 1) certain feel and tone (including humor, aspects of art design, etc) and 2) just plain good roleplaying and C&C.
By "known for" I mean known for among us, who shook hands with Sinatra. For the general public, Leonard might be associated with Diablo 3, and Tim isn't really known at all any more.

So, among us here, claiming they are not known for innovating, I think is setting the bar too low for what to expect of them.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
How hard is to make good character hair? most hair styles for females are awful to look at. They're just two or three options in which the hair styles look like actual female hair.

Considering that most triple A devs generaly don't make long hair a option on games with character creation , perhaps it's pretty hard. Unless you don't care about the hair clipping thought your body.

AwesomeButton

Patron
IHaveHugeNick , Duraframe300 , now is your chance to say what of what I said is wrong, factually incorrect. You have the floor.

Fella, you're pointing out flaws everybody expects from every Obsidian game. It's not that I disagree with you, it's just adorable how you're acting as if you're blowing people's minds with some thoughtful analysis that uncovers deeply hidden secrets.

Lol.
If it was Bethesda making this, I wouldn't be pointing it out. If it's Obsidian, working on an engine they chose themselves, and there are fanboys falling over themsleves, I am tempted to point out some obvious things which are simply not okay for me anymore.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
While you could point at certain elements in those games that are innovative, I think it's a stretch to say that's what Tim and Leonard are "known for". They're known primarily for 1) a certain tone and feel (including humor, aspects of art design, etc) and 2) just plain good roleplaying and C&C. "Innovation" isn't crucial to those things.
Quoting this for everyone to update their .txt

AwesomeButton

Patron

Lol.

And one more thing in relation to what you said - Personally, I'm done with giving a pass to any company "because it's that company".

I've played enough great games made on a shoestring budget by little known or totally unknown garage devs in order to have any goodwill left for Obsidian, Bethesda, InXile, Larian or any other of their sort. Obsidian's case is a special one, because they always had someone else to blame, from the beginning of their existance as a company. Should we give them another two decades, maybe they will finally make a hit?

S.torch

Arbiter
Very hard actually

But I don't talking about things like animating the hair. Is just the design. Most japanase games have good hair for female characters. Even in Dark Souls you have them.

hat most triple A devs generaly

"Most AAA" devs are not a good example. I have played Ubisoft games with character creation, and the Outer Worlds creator is way, way better for both male and females.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Trying to prove to obsidian fanboys that obsidian games are and will be shit is uphill battle, let it go.

More like let waste time prove to us them that the game is actually shit without actually played.

It's not even that I'm expecting it to be THEBESTGAMEEVAR. To play a decent enough Troika-Style rpg is good enough for me. And a HUGE step up from the past 7 years when it comes to Obsidian (imo).

AwesomeButton

Patron
Did you expect a thunderclap of applause and everybody thanking you for uncovering this totally unexpected information?
No, I do not expect that. I just say what I see. What I see is uninspired, by-the-numbers FPS gameplay. I see something that would, most probably, be a waste of time to go through just for the occasional jokes.

I see nothing newsworthy about it to be honest. But if that's good enough for you, I don't mind, and I don't really care. You are welcome to it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Lol.

And one more thing in relation to what you said - Personally, I'm done with giving a pass to any company "because it's that company".

I've played enough great games made on a shoestring budget by little known or totally unknown garage devs in order to have any goodwill left for Obsidian, Bethesda, InXile, Larian or any other of their sort. Obsidian's case is a special one, because they always had someone else to blame, from the beginning of their existance as a company. Should we give them another two decades, maybe they will finally make a hit?

Oh, my apologies, I didn't realize you're such a prestigious connoisseur of high quality games. I applaud your high standards, it's a remarkable attitude to have. You're a very classy person indeed.

Now would you please make a list of all those impeccably flawless games made on a shoestring budget? I can't wait to play them.

I don't really care

I believe you already explained how much you don't care at least 257 times, but thanks for the reminder.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Now would you please make a list of all those impeccably flawless games made on a shoestring budget? I can't wait to play them.
Sorry, I had one quest compass lying around, but you'll have to browse the forum yourself.

I hope reading won't be too hard for you, because I never said "flawless".

AwesomeButton

Patron
The Storm troopers looking all alike had a specific narrative purpose and served to characterize their faction as such and there was absolutely no other reason their outfits looked the way they did.
Interesting theory.
You are making up quotes now? Seek help. Do you also argue with yourself in front of the mirror like Travis in Taxi Driver?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Sorry, I had one quest compass lying around, but you'll have to browse the forum yourself.

I want to believe that you're just too busy of a person to respond with a list, but you seem to have enough spare time to write 50 posts to 15 different people in last 30 minutes.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't see a need for extensive innovation in C&C/reactivity based formula and probably neither they are since its goal is to be as realistic as possible and it won't be perfected till AI creating the narrative for the player in real time. You can not like anything they are doing; cross-off artstyle, combat, narrative, characters etc as shit but saying it isn't innovative doesn't mean shit: "I expected it to be something I don't even know about and its not that therefore its shit."

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I wonder if he will eventually grasp the irony of bitching about bad graphics and lack of innovation, and doing it on a forum that worships pixelated games build around 40-year old gameplay concepts.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Aww, why'd you delete your post Infi, it's an interesting topic to discuss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom