Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Trashos

Arcane
Hey, I am open to new ideas. Doesn't mean I will necessary accept them (for this they will have to be *good* ideas), but I am open.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The flaw system is fairly fresh or at least a re-imagionation/twist of the trait system if anything. Leadership is huge improvement over Charisma from FNV.

The game certainly has fresh ideas or fresh takes on old ideas. It certainly something that we can't graps at fullest without actually play the game. Only a handful of flaws was actually revealed for example.

Also just the entire focus on specializing during the course of the game rather than at the start. The skill system is another example.

Regardless of what *innovative* things we'll see in the game, it's definitly not going to come anywhere close to Disco Elysium on that front, but imo it doesn't have to.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
A throwback AAA RPG is already a huge progress in an industry that spent the last 2 decades rolling back and dumbing down all of the innovation that came before. You gotta start somewhere.

Cross

Arcane
Behold the incredibly deep RPG systems of The Outer Worlds:

uCN1Y4B.jpg

I'm sure that whopping 3% increase in food effect duration will be a game changer during my playthrough.

Just as I suspected, all of Obsidian has now adopted the design philosophy of Pillars and Tyranny of making everything 'balanced'. Between this and their decision to painstakingly recreate the Bethbryo aesthetic, I'm not getting the impression this was a project Cain & Boyarsky had a strong creative role in despite the game being advertised with their names.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

uCN1Y4B.jpg

I'm sure that whopping 3% increase in food effect duration will be a game changer during my playthrough.

Just as I suspected, all of Obsidian has now adopted the design philosophy of Pillars and Tyranny of making everything 'balanced'. Between this and their decision to painstakingly recreate the Bethbryo aesthetic, I'm not getting the impression this was a project Cain & Boyarsky had a strong creative role in despite the game being advertised with their names.
"Balanced" or "illusion of choice", it's too early to tell which "design philosophy" it is.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Are you really pointing out the one thing, that was mentioned by a developer in the very same video as flavor?

The one thing already mentioned as such 7 months ago by Tim and Leonard because they had to scale back on them for budgetary reasons?

You are a desperate clown.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Went from pretty optimistic about this when it was announced to very pessimistic when I saw the first gameplay. Now really not sure, it could be a fun game if quests are interesting and you really have meaningful choices.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Dude, those career aptitudes are there as a joke--it's what you were supposed to do for a living in the colony. The actual character creation is setting your six stats from 1-5 (below average to very high) and then choosing which skills to tag.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Troika wasn’t particularly innovative and they made fantastic stuff.

Arcanum was pretty innovative (character creation, crafting, some quest design etc-etc). For ToEE, innovation was already in the concept for the game (translating the rules and making them work in a cRPG). I don't know much about Bloodlines.

I loved Arcanum and it did some awesome things, but it wasn't so much innovative as it was an extrapolation of Tim, Leonard & Jason's earlier innovations from Fallout. Sort of Fallout squared.

I'm gonna kill any NPC who has that iconic TOW hairstyle. The one on Ellie's head. That'll be a pillar of my character's RP. I already know the fucking ship AI has that same haircut. Would be pleasantly surprised if I can "turn her off".

jf8350143

Liturgist
If you want something different and innovative, you go play indie games. Mainstream games, even just a AA one instead of AAA one is not and never will be the birth place of some mind blown never done before style ideas.

That's just the nature of the mindset of the investors that put the money to make these games nowdays.

Quillon

Arcane
No one would be talking about innovation if this had top down tactical combat; there'd only be complaints about "innovations" then; like how different they are from what was in some 20 year old beloved game.

ciox

Liturgist

uCN1Y4B.jpg

They literaly said in the ign vídeo that aptitudes aren't meant to be important and was little buffs in purpose. Its more for the joke and perhaps encourages your to role playing but nothing major.

Yes, adding something like the trait system in Fallout but neutering it for less QA time is a very clever troll.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yes, adding something like the trait system in Fallout but neutering it for less Q&A time is a very clever troll.

That is not the trait system equivalent for Outer Worlds. Flaws are. And there's a shitload of perks as well.

Quillon

Arcane

uCN1Y4B.jpg

They literaly said in the ign vídeo that aptitudes aren't meant to be important and was little buffs in purpose. Its more for the joke and perhaps encourages your to role playing but nothing major.

Yes, adding something like the trait system in Fallout but neutering it for less Q&A time is a very clever troll.

They added flaws instead of traits. I think it required more QA time than traits would have.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Yes, adding something like the trait system in Fallout but neutering it for less Q&A time is a very clever troll

They don't need the trait system when the flaw system exist and serve the same purpose. Pick something that gives you downside and upside.

ciox

Liturgist
Yes, adding something like the trait system in Fallout but neutering it for less Q&A time is a very clever troll

They don't need the trait system when the flaw system exist and serve the same purpose. Pick something that gives you downside and upside.

uCN1Y4B.jpg

They added flaws instead of traits. I think it required more QA time than traits would have.

That is not the trait system equivalent for Outer Worlds. Flaws are. And there's a shitload of perks as well.

The vast majority of flaw drawbacks are 2-3 of your stats being reduced when in the presence of a monster. The rest are taking extra damage.
All of the flaw benefits are extra perks, which are another system.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The vast majority of flaw drawbacks are 2-3 of your stats being reduced when in the presence of a monster. The rest are taking extra damage.
All of the flaw benefits are extra perks, which are another system.

A: There's nothing wrong with two systems working together in an rpg.
B: That's... not true? We already have confirmation of flaws potentially having other effects (Permanent concussion/the one with the darkness who's name I can't remember, the pure idea of the lie flaw (which sadly didn't make it in)). Also we haven't seen that many flaws yet. Do you somehow have a list?

biggestboss

Liturgist
I'm gonna kill any NPC who has that iconic TOW hairstyle. The one on Ellie's head. That'll be a pillar of my character's RP. I already know the fucking ship AI has that same haircut. Would be pleasantly surprised if I can "turn her off".
Every time I see Ellie, I can't help but think fondly upon Sailor Woedica. There's no way I could harm a single hair on her head.

Wouldn't mind dismembering the rest of the NPCs though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom