Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Doktor Best

Arcane
+Humor and writing reminds me alot of Paranoia
+interesting setting
+graphics and artdesign looks interesting
+quests and reactivity seems to be on usual Obsidian level (which means way above industry standard)
+character system copied from Fallout and refined with the flaw system

-combat looks a bit clunky/slow, probably because of gamepad use
-level scaling, atleast its restricted to some extent
-respec possible anytime (is this false information? it was stated in the first preview. would be pretty shit if it was done like in D:OS2)

So far it is almost anything i hoped it to be. Being cautiously optimistic!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Talking heads were in REAL Fallouts and in Bloodlines. They are perfect.
But here you are wrong, because the talking heads were all handmade and done only for important characters. The zoom in to the face approach is a Bethesda thing, and unlike the talking heads it's cheap and ugly most of the time. The talking heads are the opposite - custom-made, expensive and good looking, they give characterisation. How much characterization did you get from the Bethesda zoom-in?

And another point - in an isometric game you can't use the environment around the talking head as a backdrop, but in a 1st person game you can switch the camera to 3rd person and use different angles, like Witcher 3 does. This was not possible to do in the isometric fallouts, for obvious reasons. The Bethesda approach is cheaper to produce than the Witcher 3 approach, because you don't have to do positions for the camera for every conversation in the game, that's why both Bethesda and Obsidian went with this kind of dialogue.
Except you completely ignored I said Bloodlines. That game used it a lot more for basically everyone. And it worked awesome. Better than any "cinematic" conversations of later game.

Bocian

Arcane
Also another good thing: all those faces they showed in the trailer, they are mostly just minor NPCs instead of companions, that's why they look so generic.
So we can hope we'll get a diverse, inclusive set of companions with minority backgrounds, possibly surpassing even this of Pathfinder™: Kingmaker™.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'm with rusty_shackleford on this: it looks like it'll be a fun game. Fun for me is not braindead, but it also doesn't need to be Fallout 1 or an isometric RPG with TB combat.

I skipped a few hundred messages, but I'm surprised I didn't read any firefly comparisons. Rather than rage/far cry/blah blah, it looks like new vegas meets firefly. I'm ok with that plus some RPG elements. If the writing isn't nuObsidian, it could be a good game. Like KCD.

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
You dictate your characters' growth by investing in a stat system with categories dictated by a six-letter acronym, not unlike Fallout's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system.
Cain smirked before saying that he couldn't tell us what the stat acronym in The Outer Worlds is
S.H.A.P.E.S

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Visuals really looks like Borderlands. Also this "capitalism on planets". As long we dont have Borderland retarded mechanics, I am fine.

Theme is more like Firefly (the planets on the border of the galaxy are called Outer Rim, the outskirts) meets steampunk. Some Julio Verne feelings.

Hard to say with this trailer. I need to see more.

Hellion

Arcane
As far as facial animations are concerned, it looks like the best game to come out in 2012.

Looks hella fun, other than that. The whole "finally Obsidian showing Bethesda how it's done" polemic that I've seen spreading across the internets makes me want to stroke my beard sardonically, too.

Sentinel

Arcane
Visuals really looks like Borderlands. Also this "capitalism on planets". As long we dont have Borderland retarded mechanics, I am fine.

Theme is more like Firefly (the planets on the border of the galaxy are called Outer Rim, the outskirts) meets steampunk. Some Julio Verne feelings.

Hard to say with this trailer. I need to see more.
there's 15 minute long gameplay posted

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't read any firefly comparisons
There were such.

Except you completely ignored I said Bloodlines. That game used it a lot more for basically everyone. And it worked awesome. Better than any "cinematic" conversations of later game.
Eh, I don't know if grouping Bloodlines' and Fallout's talking heads isn't stretching things a bit too much. What I know is that these talking heads look barely better than FO3/4's and that's because of the higher poly count on the heads.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Butter

Arcane
Patron
[dumb] means nothing if you still can choose the normal IQ choices. it should lock the otehr option like low INT fallout/ "crazy" clan in vampries
From what I've read, it seems like you have the option to play dumb, which is kind of cool. Maybe it does lock you into those if you choose 1 int.

sullynathan

Arcane
The combat looks way too floaty. Why can't games fucking do lethal combat with weight behind it?
because "weight" is one of the most overrated things people ask for in combat. When you look at games from a grander perspective, the ones that don't focus on weight tend to have far better combat anyway.

Quillon

Arcane
Staples said:
“We’re also pushing the idea of integrating your companions into a lot more of the events that happen along the way,” said Charlie Staples, The Outer Worlds’ lead designer. “In our conversations, companions can interject. Their skills add onto your skills. If my intimidate skill isn’t high enough, but then Felix is here with me, we can push through this conversation and get a different option because he’s there with me, so it’s a lot more about them influencing things along the way.”

Taking a leaf out of Sawyer's book. :D

Don Peste

Arcane
The-Outer-Worlds_Dissenter.png

699px-Harry_R._Hopps%2C_Destroy_this_mad_brute_Enlist_-_U.S._Army%2C_03216u_edit.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom