Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
Eh from a get go you're told that corporation took over and oh god put a price tag on wares in the frontier...

Big Wrangle

To be fair, you have to have consumed a very high amount of gang weed to understand The Outer Worlds.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Dumb dialogue should have some sort of threshold since it will be stupid if you can access it when your INT is maxed for example.

In one of the dialogues in the demo, the protagonist was restricted to ONLY giving a [dumb] answer, which brings me to the speculation that he was cut out from giving a more intelligent reply because of his low int stat.

Aim1ess

Novice
Dumb dialogue should have some sort of threshold since it will be stupid if you can access it when your INT is maxed for example.

In one of the dialogues in the demo, the protagonist was restricted to ONLY giving a [dumb] answer, which brings me to the speculation that he was cut out from giving a more intelligent reply because of his low int stat.

I think a character can be dumb in some ways and not others, or have a threshold for dumb answers by situation as well. Id wait till I get a better idea of the whole system to judge it.

Edit: Oops I mixed up the dialogue choices.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane
Too many irritating high pitch sounds in conversations, it seems Obs as always left audio tuning for last.

Also talking head style... feels dated, would be much better with addition of some gesture anims and different/correct cam angles but I guess its out of scope :/

Last edited:

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Isn't that crosshair/reticle a blatant Fallout 4 rip-off?

What kind of person wanders around in RPGs with his weapon unsheathed? Is this a role-playing game in which you role-play or a goddamn shooter with RPG elements?

Lilarcor

Novice
The Scifi background instantly reminds me Robert Sheckley and Harry Harrison books.
I would preorder game just for that.

Regarding the gameplay, Obsidian likely may offer tiered gameplay.
The standard mode with quest compass, bottomless backpack etc appealing for casual players and grognard friendly mode.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Grimlorn

Arcane
I warned you guys about Tim Cain when I posted his Steam account with all those hundreds of hours put in all the Boderlands games.

Additionally, guess who's already spent more hours playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel than Wasteland 2? Here's a hint: There are some who call him Tim.

It was only up to you to listen.
He hid his profile at some point. Can't see how many hours he's put into Borderlands and Skyrim.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I think production values and graphics will ultimately be biggest obstacle for this to become a serious hit. It doesn't look bad, but you can definitely see it's not some $300 million blockbuster made by a team of 500 people.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think production values and graphics will ultimately be biggest obstacle for this to become a serious hit. It doesn't look bad, but you can definitely see it's not some $300 million blockbuster made by a team of 500 people.
Bethesda games never had good graphics or awesome production and it did well with the normies. If Obsidian plays its cards right, this might bring in many Bethestards.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Lol the views of the trailer have tripled in like 8 hours since I made a post that they have 300k. Fucking nuts. The video with 2nd most views is Pillars 1 teaser with 800k and that took 4 years.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom