Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This game will be good folks, I am optimistic on it.

Its not like Obsidian has betrayed my expectation before

:negative:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I think production values and graphics will ultimately be biggest obstacle for this to become a serious hit. It doesn't look bad, but you can definitely see it's not some $300 million blockbuster made by a team of 500 people.
Bethesda games never had good graphics or awesome production and it did well with the normies. If Obsidian plays its cards right, this might bring in many Bethestards.

Actualy wrong, Morrowind in 2001 pushed the graphics to the limits, same with Oblivion on 360 in 2006, it was Skyrim and Fallout 4 that had average graphics.

If they are waiting with Starfield for next-gen it will have top of line new graphics also.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think production values and graphics will ultimately be biggest obstacle for this to become a serious hit. It doesn't look bad, but you can definitely see it's not some $300 million blockbuster made by a team of 500 people.
Bethesda games never had good graphics or awesome production and it did well with the normies. If Obsidian plays its cards right, this might bring in many Bethestards.

Actualy wrong, Morrowind in 2001 pushed the graphics to the limits, same with Oblivion on 360 in 2006, it was Skyrim and Fallout 4 that had average graphics.

If they are waiting with Starfield for next-gen it will have top of line new graphics also.
Most normies started with Fallout 3 and Skyrim. This is when their sales skyrocketed.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I wish there would be some more innovation, at this point this seems like New Vegas 2, while not bad, it's been 8 years since New Vegas

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've watched the trailler two more times, and gave me the feeling of this Claudio Bergamin art:

Dr+Slumber's+Eternity+Home+2.jpg

http://claudiobergamin.blogspot.com/2012/04/dr-slumbers-eternity-home.html

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Will Tim get to name the attributes system ACELIPS this time?
Luck is definitely not one of the attributes. He went into this during his Reboot talk, and we were told there will be 6 attributes. So you've got options:

APICES
A SPICE
I SCAPE
SPICAE
EPICAS

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They have three dialogue skills, my droogs.

“We have three dialogue skills consisting of lie, intimidate, and persuade. They also have a role in combat. [Perhaps] you kill a creature and that intimidates the rest of the creatures, and they all flee. We wanted to make sure that players who choose dialogue aren’t just focused solely on talking, but that they have advantages in combat and the other gameplay we have as well.”

edit: Like the space equivalent of Dazzling Display or Cornugon Smash.

Why no romances? Apparently Boyarsky hates playing the appease/seduce your companions mini-game.

“We had to pick what we were going to put our time into,” Boyarsky said. “Other people have explored the romance angle in different ways. We felt like sometimes it kind of waters down your roleplaying for your character because it turns into this mini game of how do I seduce this companion or that companion. So it was just one of the things we felt wasn’t really what we wanted to focus our time on. [...] We’re really trying to be focused on a specific experience so that we can polish that experience and give players the best version of that experience that we can.”

Will they neglect the Legion playthrough this time? Fuck no, you can join the Legion at the very beginning.

“You are not forced to work with him,” Boyarsky said. “You can betray him the first chance you get to the government, and work on their side. You can effectively play the game any way you choose. You can be the hero. You can be anti-hero. You can be a full-on mercenary. You can be psychopathic killer.”

There will be a modicum of character customization options, Boyarsky said, but players should expect a more old-school approach. For instance, you’ll rarely see your character on screen outside the inventory menus. They won’t have even have a voice. That will leave room, he said, for the developers to spend their time and treasure crafting a complex narrative adventure. Early gameplay shows branching dialogue paths with plenty of nuance, a composite of memory mechanics from games like TellTale’s The Walking Dead and stats-based rolls common in isometric RPGs.

I don't know. It seems like a lot of people here didn't temper their expectations. Anyone who was surprised that this is a console style FPS-RPG should get their head checked. That said, the actual role playing elements look pretty promising. And we know from New Vegas that this stuff is enough to carry a game with shit combat and Bethesda tier graphics.

Last edited:

hexer

I warned you guys about Tim Cain when I posted his Steam account with all those hundreds of hours put in all the Boderlands games.

Additionally, guess who's already spent more hours playing Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel than Wasteland 2? Here's a hint: There are some who call him Tim.

It was only up to you to listen.

That's not really surprising.
He worked on Wildstar for 7 years - longer than he ever worked on Fallout - so he is biased towards such kind of settings.

Saduj

Arcane
I wish it had been isometric instead. This simply looks bad.

Isometric + turn-based, how hard could it fucking be?

I have zero interest in FPS these days even if they are also considered RPGs. So this game isn’t for me. I like my rpgs isometric and turn based too. But it is a niche market.

The minute you heard about the trailer being released at a big event, you had to know this wasn’t going to be a turn based game.

Quillon

Arcane
He worked on Wildstar for 7 years - longer than he ever worked on Fallout - so he is biased towards such kind of settings.

He was always a mmo player way before working on wildstar, didn't prevent him developing cool single player shit. /ed: maybe being mmo player wasn't the point I guess, ok sorry :P

On another note watched the gameplay again; its growing on me, guess I'm accepting its flaws, where iz my perks? If it shipped like this, first thing people would ask for would be being able to holster weapon + auto lower gun function.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone should saviour this game, because it's the last one we will get without Microsoft meddling with it. Then it's bye bye Obsidian.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This fucking "emotion AI" bullshit.... Wonder what else will I have to endure 30-40 years from now... :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom