Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Generic-Giant-Spider

Tim Cain is without a doubt the most adorable looking man in the gaming industry. Look at that big teddy bear. I bet when he cries it would break your heart to see and when he's happy it makes the whole block rock with joy.

And I'm man enough to admit I'd hug 'em. C'MERE TIM. LEMME HUG YA. He can't see this.

And then he puts his cock in you.

Tim Cain would NEVER take advantage of me. He's too innocent and good-willed. He'd probably laugh and offer to tell some stories while offering cookies and orange juice. The fact you would turn someone so pure into something pernicious and hideous is disgusting.

I'm not saying this as a threat or anything... but you should watch yourself around here, Toro. I'm just telling you. Be careful.

Xeon

Augur
I don't think it will matter, most games have companions for the flavor dialogue or as temp distraction in combat, especially since they will wake up after the combat ends like its nothing.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There are some plot similarities between this game and Fallout. The late colony ship that your character arrives on is sort of like the Vault. You're released from your cryostasis pod by the old scientist and tasked with acquiring what he needs to revive the rest of the passengers, which is sort of like how the Overseer sends you to find the water chip to save the rest of the Vault.

So what we've heard about how you can just kill the scientist and go do other stuff makes sense. Just like how finding the water chip isn't actually your final objective in Fallout. Maybe you don't need to help your ship at all.

Hmmm so Outer worlds might actualy be a Fallout 1 in disguise

Sort of like Star wars EP 7 was 4

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
That's neither how weapons industry or arms technology works.
This is exactly how weapon industry works, because weapon industry just a business as any other business.
People make sidegrades all the time, photon weapons even if they aren't inherently superior would obviously have a purpose, especially in space.
People making side grades indeed, but they make them cheaper and effective as possible. There already weapons which can shooting in space without expensive laser.

Xeon

Augur
Didn't you get game over if you didn't help your vault with the water chip? or is that just for them running out of water? makes no sense if you don't want to find the water chip but still caring about them dying of thirst.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
That's neither how weapons industry or arms technology works.
This is exactly how weapon industry works, because weapon industry just a business as any other business.
People make sidegrades all the time, photon weapons even if they aren't inherently superior would obviously have a purpose, especially in space.
People making side grades indeed, but they make them cheaper and effective as possible. There already weapons which can shooting in space without expensive laser.

I think you misunderstand how businesses work and how research for weapons do as well. Photon weapons existing doesn't mean they would have to be superior to ballistic weapons, they just need to have actual use that ballistic weapons don't cover. Photon weapons could have actual use in zero gravity environments, lack of recoil, and any other benefits of not using projectiles, they don't need to be completely better than ballistic weapons in general nor better effectiveness against both personnel and materiel. Moreover business is not some sort of march to maximum efficiency as you seem to envisioning it as preferences, copyrights, novelty, experiments, niches etc. all play a part.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Didn't you get game over if you didn't help your vault with the water chip?
Fallout had a time limit which was later extended. IIRC you have to find it within 13 years. :lol:

Don't know what happens if you fail to find it within 13 years, either "game over" or CTD. :lol:

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
I think you misunderstand how businesses work and how research for weapons do as well. Photon weapons existing doesn't mean they would have to be superior to ballistic weapons, they just need to have actual use that ballistic weapons don't cover. Photon weapons could have actual use in zero gravity environments, lack of recoil, and any other benefits of not using projectiles, they don't need to be completely better than ballistic weapons in general nor better effectiveness against both personnel and materiel. Moreover business is not some sort of march to maximum efficiency as you seem to envisioning it as preferences, copyrights, novelty, experiments, niches etc. all play a part.
All your arguments is just "you don't understand how business works" (like you do, lol) and after that all you do is that promoting idea that personal energetic weapons in space can be used because guns cannot (while there already projects with less costly ballistic variants) and completely forget that nothing is free and you should somehow fund your research and production for these weapons. I suppose that your investor (extravagant person/government) would want very high result after spending billions dollars on research and millions on copyrights + compensation damage of failed experiments. Not just: "We spent shitload money, but this gun works only in space,lol" kind of explanation. There shitload projects in history of mankind which was frozen, because too expensive to make (Reagan's idea of satellites with lasers as example) and not very effective.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
I don't think it will matter, most games have companions for the flavor dialogue or as temp distraction in combat, especially since they will wake up after the combat ends like its nothing.
I don't like unkillable NPCs no matter whose side they're on.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
All your arguments is just "you don't understand how business works" (like you do, lol) and after that all you do is that promoting idea that personal energetic weapons in space can be used because guns cannot (while there already projects with less costly ballistic variants) and completely forget that nothing is free and you should somehow fund your research and production for these weapons. I suppose that your investor (extravagant person/government) would want very high result after spending billions dollars on research and millions on copyrights + compensation damage of failed experiments. Not just: "We spent shitload money, but this gun works only in space,lol" kind of explanation. There shitload projects in history of mankind which was frozen, because too expensive to make (Reagan's idea of satellites with lasers as example) and not very effective.

Governments, corporations or wealthy individuals invest funds in projects they think will be useful, useful doesn't imply that it's the best, nor does it imply that it will replace everything else. Useful can imply strategic and tactical usefulness, it can mean the monetary returns, or it can simply mean it does something that nothing else does. People can also make mistakes, and what they assume to be useful is sometimes it isn't. Military hardware especially is very experimental and research can have dead ends, and sometimes does indeed become developed despite costing too much or not making enough monetary returns. Various types of business models, as well as weapon types can exist with one not being significantly better than other, as long as they have a purpose. In military hardware especially there are way too many concerns than raw firepower and what's better when and where isn't immediately obvious.

Also yes, in an age where space exploration is widespread, then a weapon that works in space is pertinent. "We made a weapon that's not more lethal than ballistic weapons, but it actually works in zero gravity environments predictably" is definitely something to consider.

Quillon

Arcane
Btw. from now on there'll be no point in wishing Obs getting back Fallout IP(unless ofc if you think Obs ain't worthy anyway), even tho this ain't post apoc. I bet Bethesda's biggest regret atm is not acquiring Obs right after NV---all the way to MS deal. Dark daysyears ahead for them, even if they won't struggle financially there'll always be much more than usual amount of people throwing shit at them, comparing their games' with Obs' etc. depressive shit yo :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fallout had a time limit which was later extended. IIRC you have to find it within 13 years. :lol:

Don't know what happens if you fail to find it within 13 years, either "game over" or CTD. :lol:

Fallout shipped with two time limits, one visible, one hidden. The visible 120 day limit was never patched, but if you pay the water merchants they'll extend it by 100 days. The secret time limit involved mutant invasions coming in and eventually wiping out all the settlements. This was extremely unpopular, so they patched it out. However there is a hard-coded time limit so eventually the game does have to end (Fallout 2 does as well).

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Governments, corporations or wealthy individuals invest funds in projects they think will be useful, useful doesn't imply that it's the best, nor does it imply that it will replace everything else. Useful can imply strategic and tactical usefulness, it can mean the monetary returns, or it can simply mean it does something that nothing else does. People can also make mistakes, and what they assume to be useful is sometimes it isn't. Military hardware especially is very experimental and research can have dead ends, and sometimes does indeed become developed despite costing too much or not making enough monetary returns. Various types of business models, as well as weapon types can exist with one not being significantly better than other, as long as they have a purpose. In military hardware especially there are way too many concerns than raw firepower and what's better when and where isn't immediately obvious.

Also yes, in an age where space exploration is widespread, then a weapon that works in space is pertinent. "We made a weapon that's not more lethal than ballistic weapons, but it actually works in zero gravity environments predictably" is definitely something to consider.
You mentioned usefulness and I suddenly realized that we start arguing about usefulness of fictional energy weapons in fictional world and moved to discuss serious business in serious world. In real world there very thin chance of war in space as we see in movies and game, I was just trying to say that (in my opinion), in-game balance would be better if energy weapons was better in terms of combat than guns, but their ammo was rare. Not in way that guns better in everything and energy weapons ammo rare, it's kills some ways of replay-ability imho.

Delterius

Arcane
TZ55TdQ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom