Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

From the article:
We chatted with Megan about working as a lead narrative designer on The Outer Worlds

I'm guessing whoever wrote this article is confusing "senior" with "lead".

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
You mentioned usefulness and I suddenly realized that we start arguing about usefulness of fictional energy weapons in fictional world and moved to discuss serious business in serious world. In real world there very thin chance of war in space as we see in movies and game, I was just trying to say that (in my opinion), in-game balance would be better if energy weapons was better in terms of combat than guns, but their ammo was rare. Not in way that guns better in everything and energy weapons ammo rare, it's kills some ways of replay-ability imho.

I completely agree. Energy weapons should be their own thing and their balance should be around their ammo and the distinction of this fact, they shouldn't be just regular weapons but different paintjob. There could be even situations where only energy weapons would work.

Quillon

Arcane
You mentioned usefulness and I suddenly realized that we start arguing about usefulness of fictional energy weapons in fictional world and moved to discuss serious business in serious world. In real world there very thin chance of war in space as we see in movies and game, I was just trying to say that (in my opinion), in-game balance would be better if energy weapons was better in terms of combat than guns, but their ammo was rare. Not in way that guns better in everything and energy weapons ammo rare, it's kills some ways of replay-ability imho.

I completely agree. Energy weapons should be their own thing and their balance should be around their ammo and the distinction of this fact, they shouldn't be just regular weapons but different paintjob. There could be even situations where only energy weapons would work.

Energy weapons should get tired and sleep daily to recover imo.

Deleted Member 16721

BELIEVE IN TIMNARD! TIMNARD HAS PURE INCLINE IN THEIR DNA STRANDS! THEY WILL DELIVER US A GEM FOR THE AGES! BELIEVE! BELIEVE!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Honestly the biggest danger to Outer Worlds is that it's getting hyped as this Bethesda killer when in reality it's a mid-budget game that's bound to have some serious limitations. Hub world instead of open world being one, characters and animations looking like it's 2005 is another, and so on.

I guess the extremely fabulously optimistic option is that it becomes a smash hit and then papa Tim and uncle Leo get fifty trillion of Microsoft dolla for the sequel without too much corporate meddling.

Deleted Member 16721

TIMNARD, CAINARSKY, WE KNOW THEM BY MANY NAMES BUT THE SAME DEITY REMAINS. THEY WILL INFUSE THE GAME WITH THE ESSENCE OF BLOODLINES, ARCANUM AND FALLOUT. TIMNARD WILL OVERCOME AND CONQUER THE CRPG WORLD IN 2019. For real doe.

Deleted Member 16721

Hub world instead of open world being one

If you read the new Megan Starks interview, she says it's a mix of open and story-driven. Watch, it will be like Bloodlines, hub areas to explore that offer several quests and deeper reactivity. She also said there's many areas to explore when you get your ship.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Didn't you get game over if you didn't help your vault with the water chip?
Fallout had a time limit which was later extended. IIRC you have to find it within 13 years. :lol:

Don't know what happens if you fail to find it within 13 years, either "game over" or CTD. :lol:
I remember like 100 days or maybe 200...
You're right, that was the limit for finding the water chip. 13 years was perhaps the time limit for the entire game. Either that or I confused it with the limit for Fallout 2.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess the extremely fabulously optimistic option is that it becomes a smash hit and then papa Tim and uncle Leo get fifty trillion of Microsoft dolla for the sequel without too much corporate meddling.
Speaking of this, it has been a very good strategy that Tim has always emphasized that there was very little corporate control when they were making Fallout. The implication is "if you want us to make good games, try to replicate this approach"

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
TZ55TdQ.png
Good job men, keep 'em coming.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly the biggest danger to Outer Worlds is that it's getting hyped as this Bethesda killer when in reality it's a mid-budget game that's bound to have some serious limitations. Hub world instead of open world being one, characters and animations looking like it's 2005 is another, and so on.

As far as I am concerned, this is the acid test for Tim and Boyarsky. If they also foul it up a la PoE then in new indies I trust. The last of the old has-beens should then be given up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You can recruit all of the game's companions, but some of them will have allegiances to specific factions in the game. For instance, if you decide to support the Board (Halcyon's enigmatic corporate entity), there will be certain companions that will clearly not agree with your decisions, but they won't abandon you unless you clearly decide to part with them.

Even New Vegas has companions who would outright leave if you made them angry enough. :M

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Hub world instead of open world being one

If you read the new Megan Starks interview, she says it's a mix of open and story-driven. Watch, it will be like Bloodlines, hub areas to explore that offer several quests and deeper reactivity. She also said there's many areas to explore when you get your ship.

Which is called hub world :P
I don't think Obsidian has the budget/skill/manpower to create a multi-planet open-world game e.g. Star Citizien. It has to be hub based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom