Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Delterius

Arcane
Sawyer plays Skyrim and banal brothers in his free time, Patel writers books set in dystopian fantasy with murder mystery and politics.
Given that Tim confirmed Sawyer is just the Team Autist, this ensures The Outer Worlds is going to be nothing but INCLINE.

Terenty

Liturgist
This explains a lot.I now realize why the female characters look like dykes.
The artists draw what they see.
latest

4cCqVvFl_400x400.jpg

Is it she/her or he/him?

Fairfax

Arcane
Megan Starks is very capable.

Here is a detailed list of everything she’s been responsible for:

http://www.fictivate.com/game-design.html

She’s no Avellone, but judging Starks soley based on Xoti and Kills-in-Shadow would be like judging MCA solely based on Neeshka, or whoever your least favorite NWN2 companions happen to be.
I like the effort she put into that list (wish more devs did the same), but I'm not sure the list itself helps your argument. I don't recognize most of the names, but there are bad examples besides Xoti and Kills-in-Shadow, like Bleden Mark, Obsidian's own Kai Leng. To be fair, some of the blame goes to her superiors. For instance, Xoti's anachronistic lines suggest a lack of a style guide, and they only exist because the Lead Narrative Designer (Sawyer) either missed or approved them. Hopefully Boyarsky will do a better job.

Also, I don't think the Neeshka example is relevant here. MCA inherited the NWN2 companions from Ferret Baudoin and had to write all of them in a few weeks. I'm sure that wasn't the case with all of Starks' characters.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
However Patel and Starks aren't responsible for that. Sawyer plays Skyrim and banal brothers in his free time, Patel writers books set in dystopian fantasy with murder mystery and politics.
Whoa, that first one's not Starks, it's Dini McMurry.

Anyway I downloaded a sample of Patel's first book earlier and I plan to read it and comment on it later.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Wow. Take some time off from posting and this is what happens. Ok, could be interesting overall.
Got hopes for the game actually, so I'm willing to see what happens.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway I downloaded a sample of Patel's first book earlier and I plan to read it and comment on it later.
Make a thread. I will enjoy reading the Roguey comments. :shittydog:

And done. And FFS people, it's not piracy to download free samples from Amazon.

It's lousy. She's really big on disgusting details.

In a firelit study half a mile underground, Professor Werner Thomas Cahill sweated and reddened under a councilor’s beady stare.

“It’s a wonder,” Cahill said, “bigger than we ever expected.” His hands rested, palms down, on the massive cherry wood desk in front of him, and he licked his lips, searching for words to convey scale. Towering walls crowded around him and disappeared in the darkness above. He felt like a rodent in a viper pit.

The owner of the desk drummed long, slender fingers across it, and Cahill marveled at how clean it was. A councilor of his standing should have a lot more clutter.

The words came out like the first sigh of snow in the autumn air, unexpected and chilling.

The premise of the setting is that a cataclysm drove everyone underground and back to LARPing Victorian-era England. Steampunk without the steam, just as obnoxious. Considering how it's so boring and obnoxious, I have no interest in buying/reading further.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

PanteraNera

Arcane
why add spoiler tags ?
I deliberately pick non nude pictures there's nothing offensive about these women(far from it)
Slow down there Space Cowboy, you have posted non-approved Space Girl's in this thread.
Non-approved by whom you may ask?
Easy Pal this is Spacer's Choice territory.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

She’s no Avellone, but judging Starks soley based on Xoti and Kills-in-Shadow would be like judging MCA solely based on Neeshka, or whoever your least favorite NWN2 companions happen to be.
Furthermore
She dreamed of Shade.

He was younger and so different from how she knew him, all smiles with bright, big eyes and white teeth. His thick brown hair ruffled in the breeze, and lush summer grass whipped against his ankles where he stood higher up on the slope of a hill.

“Now you’ve gotten it in your hair,” he laughed at her, and looking down at herself, she saw that he was right. Grass clippings clung to her bare legs, littered the front of her sundress, and had clumped in the billowing ends of her long, mousy-blond hair. She was a dirty, disheveled child and delighted with herself for having just rolled down a very bumpy hill.

She beamed up at him.

In the distance, a wind chime clattered its soft song, a sound like pearls hitting bamboo.

“I want to make shadows!” She lunged for him, full-bodied and shrieking as he caught her in the air. They collided like two planets pulled by gravity. It felt like a heavy thing. But he took the brunt her weight, stood against her without toppling. His arms were sinewy but strong. Though they were children, he was nearly four years older. “Can we chase the sun?” she pleaded. “Can we, before it’s gone?”

He bowed his head. He sighed. He bent around her, shoulders flexing. His wings unfurled like the sound of a thick sail cracking. They spread impossibly wide, dark and leathery, but full of blood and life.

Wind whooshed around them but it was no cool relief. The breeze was hot, a sigh of summer.

They were close to taking off.

His lips touched her ear. “Gigi, you are the sun,” he teased.

With a push, they were in the air. Shade’s wings beat the rhythm of their ascent. And the wind chime clattered gently in the distance.

Oracsbox

Furthermore
In the distance, a wind chime clattered its soft song, a sound like pearls hitting bamboo.

what an odd thing to write,wtf does pearls hitting bamboo sound like ?
The whole thing was one step away from Barbara fucking Cartland.

For those of you who don't know Barbara Cartland (the worst writer in history) these pics may help to form an impression of her
dame-barbara-cartland-interview-sot-sex-is-common-downmarket-and-video-id684137952

Barbara-Cartland-421918.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fairfax

Arcane
It's lousy. She's really big on disgusting details.

The premise of the setting is that a cataclysm drove everyone underground and back to LARPing Victorian-era England. Steampunk without the steam, just as obnoxious. Considering how it's so boring and obnoxious, I have no interest in buying/reading further.
Is that "The Buried Life"? That was the one MCA liked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom