Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sentinel

Arcane
Added few names to my original post about who's working on the game:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-19#post-5883695

And since there's a 3rd project going on at Obsidian put some of the names into a different group since there's confirmation about their whereabouts.
  • Justin Bell - Audio Director
RIP
What happened to Jorge Salgado?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Added few names to my original post about who's working on the game:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...-leonard-boyarsky.119594/page-19#post-5883695

And since there's a 3rd project going on at Obsidian put some of the names into a different group since there's confirmation about their whereabouts.
  • Justin Bell - Audio Director
RIP
What happened to Jorge Salgado?

They need this guy

HG06l.jpg

imweasel

This game will bomb and feel like shite and the only one responsible will be Justin Bell.

His negative creative drive is capable of single-handedly draining all the emotion and atmosphere from the game.
I know Bell's composing skills are very lousy, but has he actually been confirmed as the composer? He could just being doing sound design.

The Real Fanboy
Watching the gameplay video again, I have noticed the faces have similar appearance to talking heads from Fallout.

butch.jpg

Uxz3Fkj.png
Thats your target audiences of the two games.

How are they simmilar anyway? Other than being faces. The first looks better and says funny things. And is voiced by Ron Freakin Perlman.
The second is so generic it might be from a thousand other games.

Thinks a balding white guy with brown hair and a beard is a unique character design but an Asian woman with textured side swept red hair, smokey eyes, thick brows, non-touring makeup and a lip scar is generic? :thinking emoji:

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Now while I agree that energy weapons should feel different, and shouldn't have recoil, roofs that energy weapons would be so inherently superior to ballistic weapons? It's just concentrated radiation, while lethal, is not necessarily more so than the good old high velocity metal.

Depends on the armor, I'd say. Presumably armour that was designed to stop energy weapons would be worse against ballistics and vice versa. But then you end up with an obnoxious D:OS2 magic/physical armor setup and you might as well kill yourself.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Besides the narrative quality, how bad is the lefttard lecturing in Pillows of Eternity: Dumpsterfire? I will definitely play the game, I just want to know if I should plan on buying or pirating (you can sue me if that hurts your feelings).

Didn't feel very SJW, just dumb, overly in love with itself, and weirdly sexually desperate.

What is the problem with the third one? At least doesn't have "she/her" there.

What does "she/her" mean? :D

With gender identity now an eternal question, it's become de rigueur to announce the pronouns people can use to refer to you, rather than letting them assume pronouns based upon your appearance.

Nothing is wrong with any one of them. The existence of women in game development alone triggers some "people".

I have no problem with them being women. Not thrilled by a lot of their writing in Tyranny and POE2 though.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's a PC courtesy thing in some cultures where some prefer particular pronouns. Example, someone doesn't identify with either gender and prefers to be referred to as "they". So they put in their sig "they/them" and other people around them might put "he/him" or "she/her" in their sigs to normalize it and make it easier for well-meaning people who complain "I don't know what to call anyone any more!!" Now you do, it's right there.

EDIT: ninjad by santino27

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Nothing is wrong with any one of them. The existence of women in game development alone triggers some "people".

It's not the existence of women, it's the shit they create, show me a good game made by a woman and I will give her all the props she deserves.

'Showing up' and 'being there' is not enough to hand out awards and praise.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I have no problem with them being women. Not thrilled by a lot of their writing in Tyranny and POE2 though.

Tyranny is fine writing wise except 1 companion, in fact I'd say it's fairly good. They also wrote basically the only enjoyable parts of PoE2.

Regardless, the problems of PoE1 and PoE2 barely has any bearing on this game, and are on much more fundamental level. Now it's possible that Outerlands could make some of the same mistakes, such as lack of focus, trying too many things at once, trying to appeal to too many fanbases at once, having a narrative checklist of things to include, trying too hard to be both an epic journey and an adventure of fellows etc. but those are at the hands of Tim Cain and Boyarsky.

FreeKaner

It's not the existence of women, it's the shit they create, show me a good game made by a woman and I will give her all the props she deserves.

Patel actually wrote books in a sci-fi/fantasy universe that seem to have found a following. That's better than 99.9% of game writers can say, most games including RPGs are often not good in terms of writing as any moderately good book.

imweasel

Well, Megan Stark retweeted this from the other writer. You'd probably find more reasons if you comb her twitter feed.

Fucking lefty writers destroy anything and everything that could be good. It has become a real epidemic in recent years. Simply requesting a game that everyone could enjoy is already asking too much.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Patel actually wrote books in a sci-fi/fantasy universe that seem to have found a following. That's better than 99.9% of game writers can say, most games including RPGs are often not good in terms of writing as any moderately good book.

So Torment is badly written ?

Sentinel

Arcane

That's the problem. She wants to write books, not games. Writing games (badly) is just a hobby that pays for all 3 of them.

FreeKaner

It's a PC courtesy thing in some cultures where some prefer particular pronouns. Example, someone doesn't identify with either gender and prefers to be referred to as "they". So they put in their sig "they/them" and other people around them might put "he/him" or "she/her" in their sigs to normalize it and make it easier for well-meaning people who complain "I don't know what to call anyone any more!!" Now you do, it's right there.

EDIT: ninjad by santino27

Languages with gendered pronouns are so tiresome.

FreeKaner

So Torment is badly written ?

How many torments are there?

That's the problem. She wants to write books, not games. Writing games (badly) is just a hobby that pays for all 3 of them.

They wrote the only good parts of dumpsterfire (The Gullet), Patel is also responsible for much of White March as far as I am aware and Tyranny is just fine. Tyranny is also better written than either PoE1 or PoE2, but ends abruptly because it was sacked by Feargus and didn't get a follow up due bad sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom