Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Has anyone else here experienced their music just outright pausing for a good few seconds before resuming?

The game itself runs completely fine and every other sound plays flawlessly, but the music just randomly decides to stop playing, sort of like some dude taking a 5 second cigarette break between cranking a phonograph every now and then.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Man the moral choices this faces you with. Should I side with the sweet granny who's in charge of an autonomous collective of free workers all of whom love her, or the corporate brainwashy bureaucrat who wants to starve them into submission? Tough one.

Hey don't forget that even if Reed acts like a jerk , still there's a whole town behind him.. Is really right to take the only world that those people actually know even if they brainwashed? Are they gonna adapt and survive if join the deserts? There isn't only ''Good granny'' and 'Corporate bureaucrat '' that you need to think about it, also spoilers (?)

but Reed becomes quite a enjoyable character in one of the endings for this questline. He trully wants to help the town, even if that means losing his job

Last edited:

Mojobeard

Augur

Shadenuat

Arcane
I've decided every time game would present me with optimal choice i will turn 180 and shoot NPC in the face.
so granny is turning fertilizer for her vegetables

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw what diff. are ya'll playing on? I'm on Hard and I've been blasting away the early-game marauders p. easily. Well, since I found the assault rifle that is. I hope this game isn't gonna be a complete faceroll all the way through even on Hard coz Supernova seems completely retarded with the single saving spot.

I'm still on Supernova. I considered going down in difficulty because of the companions, how easy they die. But found a sniper rifle for the girl, and now keep her on overwatch. She hasn't died yet, and she is also a crack shot, taking out dudes to the left and right. She went from suicidal candidate number one to murder machine.
How's the saving and lack of fast travel though? At least in Kingdom Come you can brew a save consumable, here the only option is to go back to your ship. And those sprint speeds are pathetic.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How's the saving and lack of fast travel though? At least in Kingdom Come you can brew a save consumable, here the only option is to go back to your ship. And those sprint speeds are pathetic.

No problem so far, since it autosaves when you return to the city. Every time there is a loading thingy the game autosaves. Otherwise I like the restriction. I feel way more on edge sneaking around, knowing if I mess up I have to redo stuff.

Have to add, I also disabled the compass thing since it reveals enemies, taking away a lot of tension.

One more thing. You can increase your sprint speed through perks.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Btw what diff. are ya'll playing on? I'm on Hard and I've been blasting away the early-game marauders p. easily. Well, since I found the assault rifle that is. I hope this game isn't gonna be a complete faceroll all the way through even on Hard coz Supernova seems completely retarded with the single saving spot.

I'm still on Supernova. I considered going down in difficulty because of the companions, how easy they die. But found a sniper rifle for the girl, and now keep her on overwatch. She hasn't died yet, and she is also a crack shot, taking out dudes to the left and right. She went from suicidal candidate number one to murder machine.
Playing on Supernova too. So far it's a good challenge. Not being able to save outside the ship is a pain though. They should change it, maybe just limit your slots or something. Leadership skills really are a must if you want to keep your companions alive, otherwise just pick the Lone Wolf perk.

Saerain

Augur
Patron
It's surprising to me how lacking in personality it is for having such a strongly-themed premise. I'm not sure whether to blame the writing or voice acting more, but the NPCs are so... It's like everyone is built to make you roll your eyes.

Enjoying it mechanically, though.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Played a little bit, made it into Edgewater (lol?), took this sad cat lady Pavarotti or whatever with me (because I am a human being) and shot some Marauders in the face. Nothing too deep so far, just scratching the surface.

Early feelings I have about his game...

I mean, it's fine I guess? A bit boring, but not bad. Mostly just fine.

I need to play more to find something to hate about this game. Then I'll come back and let everyone know!

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Does rerouting the power lock me out of completing sidequests in Edgewater or the hippy camp?

It was pretty much the deal breaker of Supernova for me, had zero interest in babysitting NPCs.

So I put Parvati in heavy armor and on passive and she hasn't died since. I had to micromanage her a little, but nothing excessive. I think I'm gonna stick to Supernova.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Is the music any good?
If they botched it, the atmosphere goes out the window
I found it amusing and strange that the first music is from this game :https://store.steampowered.com/app/291710/The_Lost_Crown/

Did anyone else find the world and writing very confusing? On the starting planet everything looks like it is postapocalyptical. Why the fuck is everything abandoned? Why is there "bad land" angle when everything is green? Why are people so hungry when there is a lot of wild animals? Why are there marauders,form where did they come and why do they live in former parts of the colony?? Everything is so fucking confusing...the fuck.

Since a lot of people say combat on Hard is easy, I imagine Supernova is mandatory, until they come up with another difficulty level in DLC: Superdupernova.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Did anyone else find the world and writing very confusing? On the starting planet everything looks like it is postapocalyptical. Why the fuck is everything abandoned? Why is there "bad land" angle when everything is green? Why are people so hungry when there is a lot of wild animals? Why are there marauders,form where did they come and why do they live in former parts of the colony?? Everything is so fucking confusing...the fuck.

Actually , not confusing at all. Emerald Vale was very big town , that's why you need a bunch of houses , museums , etc. But it had several plagues , in one of those plague was Adellede's son died because Reed didn't treated him because he wasn't competent enough and only people that are competent enough are worth be treated because medicine were scarce..

Then Adellede rage-quited , without their flavorist their Saultuna was less purchased by people so was less money coming , less money means less security , less medicine gave by the Board and more people dying left and right. That's why there's that town ruins all over. Also Reed mentioned that Edgewater was all over Emerald Vale before too.

Edit: Btw There's a person that mentions that the marauders were people that lived in edgewater before going to shit.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
So if it's not open world, is it a world map with multiple town and dungeon locations, or interconnected zones like Borderlands, or what?
It's basically the ME: Andromeda structure, except the planets are way smaller since they're tuned for walking only, not for driving/flying.

Unfortunately(?) I never played Andromeda.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps

No problem so far, since it autosaves when you return to the city. Every time there is a loading thingy the game autosaves. Otherwise I like the restriction. I feel way more on edge sneaking around, knowing if I mess up I have to redo stuff.

Have to add, I also disabled the compass thing since it reveals enemies, taking away a lot of tension.

One more thing. You can increase your sprint speed through perks.

No manual saves? That's gay as fuck.

frajaq

Erudite
coming from Disco Elysium's writing and dialogue to this is fucking something lemme tell ya

at least the combat and exploring is good, its like I'm playing Fallout 4 all over again!

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
So far the impression are very mildly positive-ish. Basically what fantadomat said. Game's definitely better written than Fallout 4 and I have finished that PoS so I'll probably finish this one too.

One thing I positively fucking hate is the color palette. And graphics in general. NPCs are fucking ugly but worse, the engine itself makes me go cross-eyed. Distant objects seem to be kindda blurred or some shit. It feels as if I'm short-sighted. Also seconding this:

The thing about grafix in this game is that they should have localized garishness onto one thing.

Either planet is colorful and bright, but corp buildings and equipment is rugged and tame;
or planet is dangerous and barren, but corp buildings and armor and weapons shine brightly on it like cheap plastic toys and lights

it is somewhat hard to fight mercenaries in red and yellow armor, shooting bright red plasma on them from red green grass under pink sunsent near neon buildings

So the only reason I don't see myself finishing this game is if the annoying art style, wonky engine and eye-destroying color palette send me to a hospital.

I guess my impression from the pre-release screenshots and vids was correct then... Sigh.

What were they thinking.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So if it's not open world, is it a world map with multiple town and dungeon locations, or interconnected zones like Borderlands, or what?
It's basically the ME: Andromeda structure, except the planets are way smaller since they're tuned for walking only, not for driving/flying.

Unfortunately(?) I never played Andromeda.
You avoided brain cancer exposure then, good job.

In both games you have your own ship and you hop around different planets. In TOW each planet is a small-ish open map (think Witcher 2) - some open spaces, a few caves, a town, some scattered buildings and settlements. Better this than a half-assed open world IMO.

hexer

I have just spent 7h playing Outer World without pause and I didn't enjoy a mainstream CRPG this much since The Witcher 3.

I barely forced myself to finish Witcher 3.
Thanks for the warning :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom