Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Dodo1610

Arcane
I have just spent 7h playing Outer World without pause and I didn't enjoy a mainstream CRPG this much since The Witcher 3.

I barely forced myself to finish Witcher 3.
Thanks for the warning :salute:

The Witcher 3 simply was the last decent mainstream CRPG in years. So it's the only one I can compare it to. The Outer Worlds is absolutely nothing like The Witcher 3

Solarnyi

Novice
Played this for a few hours, and I'm honestly impressed at how they got Unreal to look and feel like Gamebryo. Is this Stockholm syndrome from the FNV days or did they actually like working with that steaming pile of garbage?

Not sure what that says about the game itself if the above left the biggest impression on me after several hours of gametime...

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The Witcher 3 simply was the last decent mainstream CRPG in years.

It's like saying Interstellar was the only smart mainstream movie in the last decade.

I mean, how are you expecting quality from AAA gaming? When have "decent mainstream cRPGs" ever been a thing? At least since gaming stopped being about nerds making stuff for other nerds?

If you want quality you gotta look at indies and AAs.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
alright, just made my Black player character (with blue eyes because fuck the patriarchy's beauty standards).

gonna begin my SJW playthrough of Outer Worlds:

- Kill all male or white NPCs.
- Go out of my way to only help People of Color NPCs.

Wee

darthaegis

Cipher
This game almost feels like a New Vegas mod. Fuck's sake, it's been almost a decade and those pathetically tiny towns with 15 NPCs saying the exact same voice lines still need a loading screen to enter. Other than that, it's really pretty but the first map at least is random copy-pasted houses with copy-pasted bandits.

Black

Arcane
Don't worry guys, some jrpg is coming out on PC in the next few days.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121560/Atelier_Ryza_Ever_Darkness__the_Secret_Hideout/

maxresdefault.jpg

SS05.jpg

48390799832_4850643730_b.jpg

Video game females are saved.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, should we add Tim and Leonard to the ever growing pile of has beens or write it off as simply Obsidian's incompetency tarnishing their reputation?

I like the second option more

Think it's 50/50.

What saddens me is how derivative it all feels. Overall theme, mechanics and even them terminals... They really wanted to make another Fallout game, but used Beth's template for some reason while stripping away what little good it had (open world, modability). Writing is where it could have won some points, but it's the usual Obsidian by-the-numbers fare instead. Movement is floaty, gunplay is non-existent. It even looks off, like whoever did the lighting might have fucked it up or something, can't quite put my finger on it, but it has that Demo Project look from UE/Unity. Not to mention characters that look like they inherited that Gamebryo chromosome.

The whole thing is just puzzling to me. Why bother leaving AAA top dogs if you are going to make the same uninspired drivel.

:negative::negative::negative:
The writing is the biggest disappointment, the trailers made it clear the combat would be janky so I was expecting for it but the writing being meh is pretty much a cold shower on my interest. It seems that after the Feargus purges, Obsidian is incapable of recovering what it lost and is incapable of incline. Making second rate versions of better games and some of those better games from the same company is a big decline. Guess I wont miss much for waiting for the true release date one year from now.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Turns out sleep deprivstion and dehydration can cause an impact to your mental facilities , so if you play on SuperNova you can become temporarily dumb. That's neat.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like you can save in the wild on Supernova. I teleported back to my ship, and there I modified my main gun. I wasn't happy with the result so looked at my autosaves, and I discovered that the game actually autosaves from the place you teleport from, and not the destination. So when I load my game-save I was where I initially teleported from. This can be abused hehe.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Looks like you can save in the wild on Supernova. I teleported back to my ship, and there I modified my main gun. I wasn't happy with the result so looked at my autosaves, and I discovered that the game actually autosaves from the place you teleport from, and not the destination. So when I load my game-save I was where I initially teleported from. This can be abused hehe.

It's auto save every time you pass a loading screen;

Cat Dude

Savant
I have just spent 7h playing Outer World without pause and I didn't enjoy a mainstream CRPG this much since The Witcher 3.

I barely forced myself to finish Witcher 3.
Thanks for the warning :salute:

The Witcher 3 simply was the last decent mainstream CRPG in years. So it's the only one I can compare it to. The Outer Worlds is absolutely nothing like The Witcher 3

The Witcher 3 designs and structures have nothing to do with crpg.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
What's not to get? Games are a simulation, and the more stuff you can interact with in a game, the better. You cause an explosion, you want to see physics objects sent flying. In a firefight, you want breakable objects to shatter when getting hit and have their pieces scatter. You want to see hanging objects sway as force is applied to them.
I was referring specifically to loose assets that you can pick up. I agree with you on environmental physics & destruction etc.

Of course it does. It's always a question of quality vs. performance, and this is an AA game where they probably were happy to cut down on potential physics bugs. It's not a big deal, but it is a shame that the environment feels so static.
I think it's less to do with that and more to do with NPC schedules. It's a weird hybrid here, they have day/night cycles, but it doesn't seem to factor in to a lot from what I've seen. Characters are also never "cautiously watching" you when you enter their property, so sneaking and theft is a no brainer. Seems like only line of sight is the length of their reaction. But yeah, they did say it came down to time constraints. Feels very close to Arcanum in that regard.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I must say that this writing is something else,i ended up washing the dishes in mid dialogue.

Also its tree structure is retarded,fallou4 level of retarded!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom